Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
Xenoblade Chonicles 3 reviews out today indicate that's it's a good game. Good to see. I have no idea when my game from the SE preorder through nintendo will arrive though.
According to Nintendo there will be two separate shipments for the Special Edition. The game itself ships around launch but the steelbook, special edition box and art book ships around fall. Was hoping they would be all together but can't complain. Looking forward to the game and the special edition at a later time. Here is the link to it if you need more info: https://tinyurl.com/2s4fsu9j

Oh I preordered knowing that the standard edition game will be shipped separately.  I'm just happy the opinions taken from reviews range from good to great.  I'm doing a quick ng+ of XC2 while I wait on shipment.   I also ordered in the first wave.  No shipment confirmation email for me, but it's good to hear another cag has gotten one.

I'm playing docked this time around trying to squeak out a few more frames but still.. very rough.  These are by far the worst technically-performing games I ever play.  I don't expect that to be much different in 3.  My main hope is a completely different menu and map system than what was in 2.

Melty Blood Type Lumina is on sale digitally for the first time on the Switch.  I’m a little confused though, what is the difference between the regular and deluxe versions?

In case anyone was interested in Sword and Fairy: Together Forever after the US physical editions were announced today, I noticed that Play-Asia has the Asian English versions up at $29.99 each, $20 cheaper than the Premium Edition we'll be getting, and releasing on 8/25 (vs. Early 2023 for the US versions):

PS4 (w/ free PS5 upgrade) - https://www.play-asia.com/sword-and-fairy-together-forever-english/13/70feaz

PS5 - https://www.play-asia.com/sword-and-fairy-together-forever-english/13/70feb1

The $50 free shipping threshold is still in place. Any interest I had in the $100 Collector's Edition vanished when I saw this at $70 cheaper.

Yeah I already put in the order for that the other day and saw that announcement. I'll just be happy with my Asian-English version.......

OK my email said that digimon was just delivered. And that scarlet nexus and ys 9 are preparing to ship when those already came out and the only one remaining is digimon for the ps4.

I'll laugh if they end up sending me copies of those instead.

Did Digimon Survive for the Switch actually come out, or was it just way under printed? It's sold out every where I look, even on the Bandai Namco site.

For anyone that was able to preorder the Xenoblade 2 Golden Torna reprint at VideogamesPlus, did your order ship? They have an ETA of mid-end July but no movement on my copy. 

For anyone that was able to preorder the Xenoblade 2 Golden Torna reprint at VideogamesPlus, did your order ship? They have an ETA of mid-end July but no movement on my copy.
They updated on their twitter, said they should go out first week of August due to Nintendo being slow to ship on their end.

Some Otakon 2022 announcements from Mangagamer as well as some releases.

First of all Sekai Project/Denpasoft has released Amatsutsumi. This one stars an MC who can control people with his voice. Looks alright and is from Purple Software. Has a 10% discount right now. Looks unique at least.

Denpasoft (NSFW)

Sekai Project (censored version)

GOG

GOG Patch (NSFW)

JAST USA (NSFW)

JAST USA has released Mamono Musume: Spider & Harpy & Cyclops. Has a 10% discount.

JAST USA (NSFW)

Mangagamer had 2 game announcements.

Funbag Fantasy 4 (NSFW)

Nightmare x Sisters (NSFW)

Funbag Fantasy 4 is the next in this series from Waffle and takes place 250 years before Funbag Fantasy 2, where the main guy becomes a monk. These are fun although I'm a bit behind working on one of the spinoffs and haven't played Funbag Fantasy 3. I will buy this one release.

Nightmare x Sisters from Guilty Nightmare Project has 2 girls I believe and they do holy maiden things, but they also do exorcism things. One day they get caught and may be forced to breed demons. This looks OK and is from the creator of Gibo, but I usually don't play these games. 

NIS America just indirectly confirmed the other day that Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure will have the English dub, which is all I needed to know to buy it. I hope it has both language options (I don't know how the other NIS Classics were), but English dub was my priority.

NIS America just indirectly confirmed the other day that Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure will have the English dub, which is all I needed to know to buy it. I hope it has both language options (I don't know how the other NIS Classics were), but English dub was my priority.
Are you going to wait and see if the games released busted on the cart?

They're 2/2 on releasing busted prinny presents games.

Like 90% of their localized games are busted in some way, since at least the PS2. I still buy the ones I want, cause what else am I going to do?

Eh does anyone ever get the regrets feels for playing or buying something mainly for games? I am playing Amatsumi, and I'm really disliking a good part of it. The premise just gets weird and the MC plain sucks honestly. At least 2 of the character paths drove me to annoyance and I really don't like the third girl so far from what they've shown. The 4th probably has a cool story, but I'm just getting to the point where I'm like is it even worth it. I think I'm just not a huge Purple Software fan, with the underdeveloped but OK Hapymaher, and the underdeveloped but alright Chrono Clock. This game feels older than those, and the characters are just sucking right now. The art is great, music OK, but it feels more like a more developed nukige, but I'm just not vibing from it. I'm pretty sure I have about 10-ish more hours, and I'm not really sure I want to keep going. It sucks I bought it of course, but it sounded interesting. I'm thinking of just dropping it, too bad it wasn't on Steam so I could do less than 2 hours and try for a refund. Just mentioning is all.

Eh does anyone ever get the regrets feels for playing or buying something mainly for games? I am playing Amatsumi, and I'm really disliking a good part of it. The premise just gets weird and the MC plain sucks honestly. At least 2 of the character paths drove me to annoyance and I really don't like the third girl so far from what they've shown. The 4th probably has a cool story, but I'm just getting to the point where I'm like is it even worth it. I think I'm just not a huge Purple Software fan, with the underdeveloped but OK Hapymaher, and the underdeveloped but alright Chrono Clock. This game feels older than those, and the characters are just sucking right now. The art is great, music OK, but it feels more like a more developed nukige, but I'm just not vibing from it. I'm pretty sure I have about 10-ish more hours, and I'm not really sure I want to keep going. It sucks I bought it of course, but it sounded interesting. I'm thinking of just dropping it, too bad it wasn't on Steam so I could do less than 2 hours and try for a refund. Just mentioning is all.
I bail out of games all the time, nothing to feel bad about but sometimes the decision is hard to make.

Recently I dropped Fae Tactics after probably 20-30 hours. It was fun, but then it suddenly wasn't so I just stopped.

Weirdly none of the achievements appeared to be working too. I like getting them, but no big deal there either.

I feel worse about buying a game and not playing it before a 'better' version comes out, but if I play something and decide to drop it I'm mostly happy to have the rest of the time back to try something else (I feel like it's more valuable than money - obviously amount of time and amount of money are variable depending on what you're talking about and there's no exact equation but... Especially in this case, giving it more time is not going to get my money back, it's just going to cost more time in addition to money that's already gone). I give myself permission to cross it off the list the same as if I had beaten the game. It does feel a little bad, and it's hard to figure out where that stopping point is but it's all just sunk cost fallacy stuff.

Yeah I'm the VN truther around here though, and while I do bail on nukige or less developed VNs all the time, this one of the first times where the product seemed competent enough, but it felt really flawed anyway. I mean I should think of it more like I could put that likely 8-10 hours on better games. Just feels lame cause I was really anticipating the game, and the main mc has interesting attributes but a weirdly straightforward and stupid thinking feeling. But yeah even though I did pay my fee, it's okay to not like something. I also hate not playing a game before it gets bundled or extremely discounted. I buy a few too many things on release to support some developers, but I should wait on some things.

To follow-up, I got a shipping notice about an hour ago.

Square-Enix is making me tap out right now. Just releasing a lot this year, and it's a bit expensive to keep up. We also got Diofield, Valkyrie, Star Ocean and Harvestella still to come. I'm probably missing something else but yeah. I'm a little neutral on the ogre series, but I'll still buy. I don't think Crisis Core remake is this year....likely next year early, but still.

Too bad no Tactics Ogre Steelbook for US
Is this confirmed? I'm hoping Best Buy or Gamestop gets it. :pray:

Square-Enix is making me tap out right now. Just releasing a lot this year, and it's a bit expensive to keep up. We also got Diofield, Valkyrie, Star Ocean and Harvestella still to come. I'm probably missing something else but yeah. I'm a little neutral on the ogre series, but I'll still buy. I don't think Crisis Core remake is this year....likely next year early, but still.
There's always December.

That list looks promising and assuming the games turn out well, I'll probably be buying & playing all of them.  Just not close to release.  SE games generally get high prints and drop significantly.

Do we know if the TO:R physical release only be sold on the SE store?  Or is the SE store just the first to list the game?

Tactics Ogre: Reborn finally confirmed by SE for release on 11/11, physical version also coming which is surprising:

https://www.gematsu.com/2022/08/tactics-ogre-reborn-announced-for-ps5-ps4-switch-and-pc
Really happy (but also surprised) to see this get a physical release. Going to preorder it to show support for more Square Enix physical releases, but will wait to see if its only at SE Store or a wide release.

Fight Crab is getting a US physical release:

https://www.gamestop.com/video-games/nintendo-switch/products/fight-crab-shella-awesome-edition-nintendo-switch/346680.html

Highly recommended, I have the JP one and it's worth every penny.
Anyone know if this is a Gamestop exclusive in the US?

Don't forget Dragon Quest Treasures as well.

Nice to see tactics ogre confirmed. If there's not fancy physical edition I might just stick with digital to get that soundtrack...

It's funny, I've never played a lot of isometric SRPGs and literally only played like 3 of them: FFT, Tactics Ogre (PSP) and Jeanne D'Arc. (I did start Ogre Battle, Ogre Battle 64, Ogre Battle Lodis, and FFT Advance- but never got past the first few levels in any of them.) But with this TO remake talk, I just realized that I actually enjoyed every single one; obviously FFT was a masterpiece but TO and Jeanne were also both excellent. I'll probably pick up the remake but not really sure since I already have the PS1 release and two different copies of the PSP release (PAL CE, US standard). 

Anyway, you guys think there's a chance Digimon NS gets another run? I didn't think it would sell out since the other Digimon games on the NS were pretty easy to get on sale so this latest release selling out so fast was surprising. 

It's funny, I've never played a lot of isometric SRPGs and literally only played like 3 of them: FFT, Tactics Ogre (PSP) and Jeanne D'Arc. (I did start Ogre Battle, Ogre Battle 64, Ogre Battle Lodis, and FFT Advance- but never got past the first few levels in any of them.) But with this TO remake talk, I just realized that I actually enjoyed every single one; obviously FFT was a masterpiece but TO and Jeanne were also both excellent. I'll probably pick up the remake but not really sure since I already have the PS1 release and two different copies of the PSP release (PAL CE, US standard).

Anyway, you guys think there's a chance Digimon NS gets another run? I didn't think it would sell out since the other Digimon games on the NS were pretty easy to get on sale so this latest release selling out so fast was surprising.
Digimon Survive for the Switch is in stock at GameStop.com. I ordered earlier this week and received it yesterday. New/sealed from their warehouse, https://www.gamestop.com/video-games/products/digimon-survive---nintendo-switch/203891.html

I was in my local GameStop store Thursday and the guy mentioned they got in store copies that day.

Digimon Survive for the Switch is in stock at GameStop.com. I ordered earlier this week and received it yesterday. New/sealed from their warehouse, https://www.gamestop.com/video-games/products/digimon-survive---nintendo-switch/203891.html

I was in my local GameStop store Thursday and the guy mentioned they got in store copies that day.
Oh nice. Looks like it's in stock at Amazon and BestBuy too... I didn't realize it came back in stock at so many places.

Oh nice. Looks like it's in stock at Amazon and BestBuy too... I didn't realize it came back in stock at so many places.
If you want to get the code for Guilmon you’ll have to get it in hand by August 28 I think and submit a ticket to Bandai. They are honoring the preorder bonus and emailing codes if you submit a ticket to their website with proof of purchase (photo of receipt and game works).I submitted a ticket yesterday and was emailed my code today,

Looks like Amazon won't ship for 2.5 weeks and Best Buy is backordered. Gamestop does look to have it in stock now. I ordered yesterday and it it shipped today.

Diofield Chronicles demo is available on PC and consoles.
Thanks for the reminder. I went ahead and grabbed the switch demo and notice the SD Gundam Battle Alliance had a demo so grabbed that too.

There's also a preorder for the Splatoon 3 splatfest demo that came out today... it would be worth preordering as it gets you on the list for a free 7 day trial of nintendo online (they'll email a code before the event). So even if you don't care about Splatoon (like me) you can still get a week of free NSO to play some nes/snes and other online games.

Thanks for the reminder. I went ahead and grabbed the switch demo and notice the SD Gundam Battle Alliance had a demo so grabbed that too.

There's also a preorder for the Splatoon 3 splatfest demo that came out today... it would be worth preordering as it gets you on the list for a free 7 day trial of nintendo online (they'll email a code before the event). So even if you don't care about Splatoon (like me) you can still get a week of free NSO to play some nes/snes and other online games.
I didn't realize Gundam was getting a demo, so I got that too.

There is a Dungeon Munchies Physical and Collector's Edition Switch/PS4/PS5

I first saw it go up on VGP, but I've been looking out for US retailers. It's been a bit slow so far.

Serenity Forge published games seem to have been available and with plenty of copies at retailers previously, so I don't think it'll be hard to find or anything. I just think it looks neat, and the thread has been quiet for bit :)

Amazon has the Collector's Editions available

(switch link) https://www.amazon.com/Dungeon-Munchies-Collectors-Nintendo-Switch/dp/B0B92J5G78/ref=sr_1_1?crid=DVSRMTK0GZO9&keywords=dungeon+munchies&qid=1660659971&sprefix=%2Caps%2C76&sr=8-1

Physical has a listing but isn't available yet

https://www.amazon.com/Dungeon-Munchies-Physical-Nintendo-Switch/dp/B0B98TR246/ref=sr_1_7?crid=DVSRMTK0GZO9&keywords=dungeon+munchies&qid=1660659971&sprefix=%2Caps%2C76&sr=8-7

VGP links:

https://videogamesplus.ca/collections/dungeon-munchies-coming-oct-28-2022-for-ps4-ps5-nintendo-switch

bread's done
Back