Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
According to a banner on Videogameplus, Demon Gaze Extra will be published by Red Art Games in the west, not NISA
1236513a7ea1895f0df70af0a844847b.jpg

Sent from my SM-N970U1 using Tapatalk

Suikoden is one of the series I meant to get into when I owned the PS1 versions... but just never had the time and eventually cashed in my copies as I moved on from playing older systems.   These games though look right up my alley.  I'll be very interested in the switch version.

I can't believe that Konami funded a complete remaster for Suikoden.
I wonder if they have to port the ps1 versions to ps4 anyway due to the bc stuff and just figured may as well port it to everything and get that money if they are gonna do it for free anyway.

So I'm just browsing some websites and this tweet was imbedded on a website. 

https://twitter.com/InstallBase/status/1570665892295643136 

What are the odds that Konami is simply doing this to either fuck over or kill interest over Eiyuden Chronicles? :whistle2:k

So I'm just browsing some websites and this tweet was imbedded on a website.

https://twitter.com/InstallBase/status/1570665892295643136

What are the odds that Konami is simply doing this to either fuck over or kill interest over Eiyuden Chronicles? :whistle2:k
It's incredibly obvious that the remasters are only happening because of the success of Eiyuden Chronicles' Kickstarter. As for whether Konami's intent is to keep people from buying Eiyuden...I know I'm buying both.

It's incredibly obvious that the remasters are only happening because of the success of Eiyuden Chronicles' Kickstarter. As for whether Konami's intent is to keep people from buying Eiyuden...I know I'm buying both.
Is this Konami's new strategy?

Konami employee to CEO: So I heard there's a new TMNT arcade brawler coming out.

CEO: What!? We can leech off the advertising and sell that old collection of TMNT games we made ages ago!

Konami employee: You want to release a console video game?

CEO: It's what I learned in business school. Take advantage of collective advertising. Call that company - what's their name? - Digital Apocalypse - Digital Nucleus - Whatever they're called. Get that collection out so we can make some more money.

Konami employee: I think we'd make more if we just release Silent Hill and Metal Gear.

CEO: Silent what? Metal Gear - no one wants that.

Konami employee (head down): Of course, TMNT collection coming up. Oh, Sir, I also heard there is a game coming out called Eiyuden Chronicles that is basically Suikoden.

CEO: Same strategy!!!

Is this Konami's new strategy?

Konami employee to CEO: So I heard there's a new TMNT arcade brawler coming out.

CEO: What!? We can leech off the advertising and sell that old collection of TMNT games we made ages ago!

Konami employee: You want to release a console video game?

CEO: It's what I learned in business school. Take advantage of collective advertising. Call that company - what's their name? - Digital Apocalypse - Digital Nucleus - Whatever they're called. Get that collection out so we can make some more money.

Konami employee: I think we'd make more if we just release Silent Hill and Metal Gear.

CEO: Silent what? Metal Gear - no one wants that.

Konami employee (head down): Of course, TMNT collection coming up. Oh, Sir, I also heard there is a game coming out called Eiyuden Chronicles that is basically Suikoden.

CEO: Same strategy!!!
Based on how largely well-received the Cowabunga Collection has been, as long as the Suikoden remasters are held at least to that level of quality, I'm fine with this copycat approach. It's already a comforting sign that the English script for both will be improved.

It's actually quite shocking to me at how well Konami has been remastering and re-releasing their old IPs suddenly.  Compare the value of say the Cowabunga collection to the crap that LRG puts out: compilations that are broken up into single servings. 

It's actually quite shocking to me at how well Konami has been remastering and re-releasing their old IPs suddenly. Compare the value of say the Cowabunga collection to the crap that LRG puts out: compilations that are broken up into single servings.
That's why, in my opinion, its important to suppot Konami and preorder their releases at retail when they go that way intead of through LRG. Preordered both the Switch and PS5 versions of Cowabunga Collection and plan to do the same with Suikoden if a physical version is released through retail.

Couple deals popped on my radar that I thought maybe folks here would want to know:

Amazon: $39.99 AI: The Somnium Files - nirvanA Initiative Standard Edition (Switch)

https://www.amazon.com/AI-The-Somnium-Files-nirvanA-Initiative-Nintendo-Switch/dp/B0983ZZ5NN

Amazon: $39.99 Atelier Sophie 2 - The Alchemist of the Mysterious Dream (Switch)

https://www.amazon.com/Atelier-Sophie-2-The-Alchemist-of-the-Mysterious-Dream-Nintendo-Switch/dp/B09HQ7XJ4C

EDIT: Best Buy for Sophie 2 $39.99
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/atelier-sophie-2-the-alchemist-of-the-mysterious-dream-nintendo-switch/6483328.p?skuId=6483328

I'm not sure how good these deals are or if these are the optimal versions.  Just sharing info.

Couple deals popped on my radar that I thought maybe folks here would want to know:

Amazon: $39.99 AI: The Somnium Files - nirvanA Initiative Standard Edition (Switch)

https://www.amazon.com/AI-The-Somnium-Files-nirvanA-Initiative-Nintendo-Switch/dp/B0983ZZ5NN

Amazon: $39.99 Atelier Sophie 2 - The Alchemist of the Mysterious Dream (Switch)

https://www.amazon.com/Atelier-Sophie-2-The-Alchemist-of-the-Mysterious-Dream-Nintendo-Switch/dp/B09HQ7XJ4C

EDIT: Best Buy for Sophie 2 $39.99
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/atelier-sophie-2-the-alchemist-of-the-mysterious-dream-nintendo-switch/6483328.p?skuId=6483328

I'm not sure how good these deals are or if these are the optimal versions. Just sharing info.
atelier sophie 2 wise the switch version was 45% off via target circle and red card a while back and it was also in a b2g1 at some point. But still that's not bad considering switch tax and all.

Meanwhile in your link they had this in the other related items page bar https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B1P51N11/ Yikes. Also there's more than one of these?

No point if it's without Kojima.
I wouldn't mind someone else handling Metal Gear. At this point, we know Kojima isn't much interested in doing Metal Gear. Hasn't he gone on record multiple times that he doesn't want to do more Metal Gear?

I don't want another Metal Gear Survive, but surely there are plenty of talented producers/devs out there that can carry on the Metal Gear franchise and do it justice.

Legendary game devs like Kojima, Miyamoto, and Aonuma won't be around forever. What'll happen when Miyamoto or Aonuma pass away? No more Mario and Zelda games?

Legendary game devs like Kojima, Miyamoto, and Aonuma won't be around forever. What'll happen when Miyamoto or Aonuma pass away? No more Mario and Zelda games?
I think Nintendo has done well with Miyamoto. He mainly serves to oversee development more like a consultant that roams around keeping an eye on things but entire franchises don't hang in the balance waiting for him to come up with all the ideas let alone needing his regular attention. Like Zelda:BotW he said in an interview that he didn't have much to do with it other than helping refine the controls. Super Mario Odyssey, he had a few general ideas here and there but the team was autonomous and mainly designed the game and got feedback on occasion from him.

It'll be sad to see him go one day, but it's not going to end series.

I feel like the days of big name developers are behind us. It takes so many people... so meany teams of people, to develop anything that there's really not many new names emerging. Just old names fading. Some latching on to try and build something similar to what they made to keep fans happy Iga/Bloodstained (which once patched on Switch was pretty solid though it lacking that CV nostalgia means it'll likely never have a chance to line up next to his past works)... and others just completely fizzling Yuji Naka.

I wouldn't mind someone else handling Metal Gear. At this point, we know Kojima isn't much interested in doing Metal Gear. Hasn't he gone on record multiple times that he doesn't want to do more Metal Gear?

I don't want another Metal Gear Survive, but surely there are plenty of talented producers/devs out there that can carry on the Metal Gear franchise and do it justice.

I dunno, Metal Gear might be the one series that's more convoluted than Kingdom Hearts. I just can't see what they'd do with a sequel at this point.

BUT... I would love for a remake of the original Metal Gears or the GBC game. I never played the originals but would be interested in a modern update. And the GBC game was absolutely amazing for being a GBC game... I'd play it as is if they simply brought it to modern consoles.

I dunno, Metal Gear might be the one series that's more convoluted than Kingdom Hearts. I just can't see what they'd do with a sequel at this point.

BUT... I would love for a remake of the original Metal Gears or the GBC game. I never played the originals but would be interested in a modern update. And the GBC game was absolutely amazing for being a GBC game... I'd play it as is if they simply brought it to modern consoles.
I'd be all for a re-imagining of Metal Gear Solid.

https://twitter.com/ValkyrieGame/status/1572913851783421952?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1572913851783421952%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=

p5 strikers was also like 30-40 after a month, they gave that out for free eventually on psn so im not buying this one until it hits bottom

Seems like pretty much all Atlus games since late Gen 6 go on sale... I think the popularly of Persona 3 and 4 really helped them get into the more mainstream niche market (as oxymoron-esque as that sounds). 

I remember the young CAG days when I'd wait for pretty much everything to go on sale... except Atlus games. Those, I actually pre-ordered. 

Yeah p3 resulted in getting them more recognition and thus larger prints with each game after it both in series and for the other smt titles pretty much.

Maybe they follow SEGA publishing sale patterns since they're under them now? SEGA isn't afraid to mark stuff down, usually.
Other way around. When Sega acquired Atlus, they dissolved their North American publishing arm and put the team that had been Atlus USA in charge of all Atlus and Sega publishing in North America.

Hm... just like Cyberpunk, none anywhere near me. I've got a decent number of GS and all sold out. I definiltely don't want to order for shipping, $6 to ship plus the high risk of getting a gut... not worth the risk.

Going by the comments on warios twitter some may have been converted to used. But yeah odds are still that you could end up with a "new" copy or worse so that may not be worth the risk. 

If it's the same price in store you might be better off just checking there. Inventory was at minus 2 from what I heard so there's no way of knowing if a store actually has a copy or not. Unless they have a surplus. 

Playasia has pre orders up for Fatal Frame: Mask of the Lunar Eclipse.  Nov 04, 2022 for Switch, PS4, and PS5.  US, Europe, Asia, and Japan versions.

Playasia has pre orders up for Fatal Frame: Mask of the Lunar Eclipse. Nov 04, 2022 for Switch, PS4, and PS5. US, Europe, Asia, and Japan versions.
Just so you know Play-Asia listing those items is no guarantee that those will come out, or even that those that do have English support.

There was quite a debacle with the last Fatal Frame release. Bottomline is it is probably best to wait to see which ones are actually coming, and whether those even have English support.

Just so you know Play-Asia listing those items is no guarantee that those will come out, or even that those that do have English support.

There was quite a debacle with the last Fatal Frame release. Bottomline is it is probably best to wait to see which ones are actually coming, and whether those even have English support.
Yeah, I bought the Japanese English version of Maiden of Black Water and when I received it there was no English patch. Playasia wouldn't do anything about it, and I had to buy the Asia version.

Yeah, I bought the Japanese English version of Maiden of Black Water and when I received it there was no English patch. Playasia wouldn't do anything about it, and I had to buy the Asia version.
Yikes. Koei Tecmo really botched it with FF Maiden. There is no excuse for not just putting the English support on the disc. Just so stupid.

I am not preordering, and not buying until I see what Koei Tecmo does with the physical release. If they don't put English support on the physical disc/cart, will forgo buying it.

bread's done
Back