Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a pretty meaty patch at 630mb. Not a complaint... just making note. It's cool they stuck it out and completed the translation.
I’ve used both an unpatched and patched ISO, and after patching, the patched ISO is “only” about 300MB larger than the unpatched ISO.

Finished digimon survive finally. Overall not as good as cyber sluts was. And too fricken wordy while lacking any of the enjoyment of the underwater ray Romano games between character interactions to justify it. Additionally locking the true ending behind ng+ is ass.

Now you remind me that the new Utawarerumono game (Monochrome Mobius) is only in English on PC.

Now you remind me that the new Utawarerumono game (Monochrome Mobius) is only in English on PC.
That's a shame.

I quite enjoyed mask of decepticons and mask of truth. Haven't played prelude to the fallen yet though.

From what I remember it's a prequel to those 2 mask games. Though it brings up more questions than answers and knowing what inevitably happens soured me a bit on it.

That's a shame.

I quite enjoyed mask of decepticons and mask of truth. Haven't played prelude to the fallen yet though.

From what I remember it's a prequel to those 2 mask games. Though it brings up more questions than answers and knowing what inevitably happens soured me a bit on it.
Also worth mentioning the PC version of Prelude to the Fallen got an editing on the translation and it is much better than the NISA release for the PS4/Vita version. (They also did editing for PC version of MoT/D but since Atlus's translation is pretty good the changes are minor)

Targets buy 2 get 1 free is a must for niche game buyers. Lots of pre-orders (I got Trails, Loop and Monster Menu) and recent releases. I should have waited for this sale as I just received Harvestella (sold out though) yesterday and it's in here as well. All the recent S-E games are there (Valkyrie, Star Ocean, Diofield), as well as Chaos Head and otome games as well. Don't miss it as they might cut off pre-orders probably.

Target

valkyrie elysium was sold out.

ended up getting trinity trigger, star ocean, and resident evil 4. total came to $99.06 (with all the discounts and circle offer that haven't expired yet).  

I do like these Target sales.

I got Scarlet Nexus for Xbox (Was already down to $20), Tormented Souls, Jojo all Star battle R, Yurukill, Digmon Survive, Harvestella, Star Ocean, Diofield.

and pre-orders I might cancel closer to release (order now, decide later): Trinity Trigger, Loop8, Wanted:Dead, Signalis, Demon Gaze Extra Day 1, Eiyuden Chronicle Rising, The Rumble Fish 2

I already have Persona 5 Royal, but it also being included is pretty cool.

I was hoping for Anonymous;Code, Ryza 3, Neptunia Sisters Vs Sisters, Grimgrimoire, dungeon munchies, and octopath traveler II to also be eligible, but not a bad showing regardless.

Reminder that the Target B2G1 is also available as a Buy3Cancel2 sale. That’s extremely useful when you are doing pre-orders like TT or EC:R or can’t find three games at the same price.

Target B2G1 sales are great if there are games you want to play right away.  But I'm not stacking up $40 titles to catalogue anymore.  That's how I've spent the most money during holiday sales in previous years.  You're better off buying the 1 or 2 new releases you want to play each year like GoW or shooters.  Most everything drops to $20-$30 eventually.  Such as Stranger of Paradise for $25 this week; no qualms about having bought that steelbook for $9.99 and then returning the game. 

Right now I'm looking at Star Ocean and I want that Persona 5 Switch steel but it doesn't make sense to buy $120 worth of games.   Maybe I'll return one. 

If you're a medium-term investor-flipper type then it makes decent sense to buy 3x P5 steelbooks as savings bonds.  Esp if you can get other stacking % discounts, getting them in the ~$110 range.

from past experiences there are only a handful of things ive grabbed that didnt go cheaper elsewhere at a later point

so im restraining myself this time

hoping gamestop comes through with something so i can blow through my remaining funny money

Target B2G1 sales are great if there are games you want to play right away. But I'm not stacking up $40 titles to catalogue anymore. That's how I've spent the most money during holiday sales in previous years. You're better off buying the 1 or 2 new releases you want to play each year like GoW or shooters. Most everything drops to $20-$30 eventually. Such as Stranger of Paradise for $25 this week; no qualms about having bought that steelbook for $9.99 and then returning the game.

Right now I'm looking at Star Ocean and I want that Persona 5 Switch steel but it doesn't make sense to buy $120 worth of games. Maybe I'll return one.

If you're a medium-term investor-flipper type then it makes decent sense to buy 3x P5 steelbooks as savings bonds. Esp if you can get other stacking % discounts, getting them in the ~$109 range.
I absolutely agree. This isn't the answer I turned in on my test today, but it is the right answer. lol

tumblr_mbtph1q0V41rn1630o1_500.gif

The pre-orders make maybe a little more sense to lock in now as long as you remember to decide later if you want to play them at launch for a slight discount, or cancel and get it later. But even then only if you feel like keeping up with it and remembering.

Thats why I am taking advantage of NISA stuff that are not going to have a large print.  Got in Trails of Zero and I am don't think Kamiwaza will be in stock for long.  Still mad that I missed Yomawari.

Targets buy 2 get 1 free is a must for niche game buyers. Lots of pre-orders (I got Trails, Loop and Monster Menu) and recent releases. I should have waited for this sale as I just received Harvestella (sold out though) yesterday and it's in here as well. All the recent S-E games are there (Valkyrie, Star Ocean, Diofield), as well as Chaos Head and otome games as well. Don't miss it as they might cut off pre-orders probably.

Target
Your link didn't work for me, but this one might work instead: https://www.target.com/pl/3277-2847838564703759?marketing_id=3277-2847838564703759&sortBy=newest&category=5xtg5&clkid=7c40d795N5dc811ed9ed0e73018304c33&lnm=201333&afid=Narrativ&ref=tgt_adv_xasd0002&moveTo=product-list-grid&Nao=0

I couldn't resist preordering these on PS4 with the cancellation technique:

Loop8 (standard edition)

RE4 Remake

The Rumble Fish 2 Collector's Edition

Wo Long: Fallen Kingdom

If Tactics Ogre Reborn qualifies when it releases Friday, I might get that on PS4.

I do agree I try to only buy what I'll hopefully play soon. I'm checking with friends to see if they'll want  to play MW2 and I really want Loop8, so that seemed like a no brainer at least. Most games do go on sale. I'll likely what for P5 PS5 to go to about $20 or $30, but I also have Gamepass and probably might play it there (trying it out to see if my PC can handle it).

I buy only if it's a large discount, it won't likely go on sale, can go out of stock and or I may play it right away. But most of the time it goes into my ominous backlog that threatens to engulf us all.

Target
Ohh ty for the heads up! I normally don't have much I want when these sales are going, but I was planning on grabbing Demon Gaze Extra, Loop8 and Void Terrarium 2 anyways.

Your link didn't work for me, but this one might work instead: https://www.target.com/pl/3277-2847838564703759?marketing_id=3277-2847838564703759&sortBy=newest&category=5xtg5&clkid=7c40d795N5dc811ed9ed0e73018304c33&lnm=201333&afid=Narrativ&ref=tgt_adv_xasd0002&moveTo=product-list-grid&Nao=0

I couldn't resist preordering these on PS4 with the cancellation technique:

Loop8 (standard edition)

RE4 Remake

The Rumble Fish 2 Collector's Edition

Wo Long: Fallen Kingdom

If Tactics Ogre Reborn qualifies when it releases Friday, I might get that on PS4.
can someone explain to me this cancellation technique??? Buy 3 cancel 2 i believe???

can someone explain to me this cancellation technique??? Buy 3 cancel 2 i believe???
Because Target pro-rates their B2G1s, if there's only 1-2 games you want, you can buy 3 similarly-priced games and cancel the extras to get the prorated price(s) for what's left.

Example: If you preorder 3 copies of Resident Evil 4 Remake on PS5 then immediately cancel 2 of those copies, the remaining copy will be $39.99+tax (once the tax updates).

Because Target pro-rates their B2G1s, if there's only 1-2 games you want, you can buy 3 similarly-priced games and cancel the extras to get the prorated price(s) for what's left.

Example: If you preorder 3 copies of Resident Evil 4 Remake on PS5 then immediately cancel 2 of those copies, the remaining copy will be $39.99+tax (once the tax updates).
wow did not know that

Thank you!

If only they had DQ Treasures (Switch) as a qualifying title at target.   That's the last game I plan to purchase this year.   Looking through the other games on sale, I'm good.

Just a PSA on this: I recently tried this with Demon Gaze Extra and noticed that after cancelling two of the same item, I still had sales tax for all 3 copes on the order instead of just 1. It works properly if you add 2 of a different game or platform at the same price.

Just a PSA on this: I recently tried this with Demon Gaze Extra and noticed that after cancelling two of the same item, I still had sales tax for all 3 copes on the order instead of just 1. It works properly if you add 2 of a different game or platform at the same price.
In my experience the tax will adjust properly when the game ships

Is anyone else not able to log into Namco? I reset my password and logged in and it says invalid password... but then get an email saying "new device log in". But I can't access my account or check out without them asking me to log in, which even though I'm putting in my correct password, it's saying invalid. Trying to preorder the ToS special edition. 

I did the account upgrade a while back and did use my account before to purchase stuff. But man, their new website is dogshit. 

The steam versions of the Utawarerumono games are on sale.  $26 for all 3 existing games is the lowest they have been.  Good enough for me to purchase these again for use on my steam deck.

Was surprised to see that the release of Monochrome Mobius is only a week away.  Since the current sale prices last through 11/23, I'm going to hold off on purchasing to see if the complete bundles will be changed to include the new game.

https://twitter.com/VideoGamesPlus_/status/1590773651154112536

Attack on Titan PS4 reprint is sold out but they will try to print more copies.

https://twitter.com/VideoGamesPlus_/status/1590816859041005568?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1590816859041005568%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=

Is anyone else not able to log into Namco? I reset my password and logged in and it says invalid password... but then get an email saying "new device log in". But I can't access my account or check out without them asking me to log in, which even though I'm putting in my correct password, it's saying invalid. Trying to preorder the ToS special edition.

I did the account upgrade a while back and did use my account before to purchase stuff. But man, their new website is dogshit.
I have the same problem. Tried multiple browsers on my laptop, same thing. The only way I was able to log in was with my phone's mobile browser.

I have the same problem. Tried multiple browsers on my laptop, same thing. The only way I was able to log in was with my phone's mobile browser.
Holy shit, thank you. I emailed Namco twice, both times they told me the same generic: it's you, not us.

No store around me had a copy of Tactics Ogre Reborn for Switch (or any other system, from what I saw).  Had to order on Amazon. 

Wonder how low the sales will be for the re-re-remake of a SNES game versus God of War II and Sonic Frontier?

No More Heroes 3 PS5 is back in stock at Target.  New discount with Yurukill PS4 $38.99 and Digimon survive PS4 and Xbox $53.99 at Target before B2G1 free.

Wish TMNT would come back in stock... 

Also wondering if we'll see more B2G1Fs this yr. I know we had quite a few last year but it seems like there's been a lot of early BF deals this year and also who knows with the economy. Also insane how much money I've spent with Target this year... and how little I've spent at BB. 

Wow that was nuts. I was trying to check out and then the listing went unavailable at all stores and it rejected my order. Kept refreshing and trying and got one for pickup at the Mall of America. wonky listing. My checkout came to $27.55 before tax. Seems like a price mistake.

Crazy deal. I had this game bookmarked at multiple stores and was checking it all last week. Thanks for posting!

bread's done
Back