Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
Apparently everyone else seems to have had the same feeling as the middle ones are winning by over twice the vote counts for the other 2 covers.

Anywho my copy of soul hackers 2 from best buy came today and the case is smashed, cracked and there looks to be a large half inch by 1/4 inch gash on the side where it would open on the front like someone stabbed it with a flat head screwdriver or something. I'm not even going to attempt to open it to see the condition of the disc since it's technically still within the plastic wrap and obviously I'm not paying for new condition to get something in this condition. Now I just have to figure out how to get them to give me a replacement.

According to the website you have to do returns in store. Problem there is that the closest best buy is about 20 minutes away. And that's assuming they have any copies on hand to do it as last time when I bought Nier automata and they gave me 3 copies of the outer worlds by mistake. They didn't have any for replacements for nier nor did they give me any sort of gift credit for my inconvenience let alone for the plus in their favor. I could have easily sold those 3 copies for almost 6x what I paid for nier which was 14.99 and they would have been out the cost of each of those games which was around 30$ each at the time if not more.
it lets me print a label and just ship it back with ups every time

An uncensored one, if that's your thing. Not mine given what content was removed in the first place...
All the censorship involved the bathing minigame which is optional isn't it?

(I'm not a fan of the scrubbing/touching mini games so if it isn't optional in the uncensored version I will pass, they annoyed me in both Mary Skelter and Moero Crystal)

All the censorship involved the bathing minigame which is optional isn't it?

(I'm not a fan of the scrubbing/touching mini games so if it isn't optional in the uncensored version I will pass, they annoyed me in both Mary Skelter and Moero Crystal)
No idea on the optional nature of them, I just know that the sources reporting it has English also said it was uncensored.

I also refuse to buy those titles with "touching" games.

I really wanna pick up disaster report 4 on steam - I loved it on PS4 and I'm hoping it runs better on PC and I'd love to replay it. Wish it would drop cheaper though

I really wanna pick up disaster report 4 on steam - I loved it on PS4 and I'm hoping it runs better on PC and I'd love to replay it. Wish it would drop cheaper though
Do you have a PS5? The PS4 version runs at a consistent 60 FPS on that. I don't have any experience with the PC port but I doubt it runs as well

b2g1 on preowned ps4 and xbox titles is live.  Digimon survive for 17 new on switch and ps4 16 on xbox is also up. 

I ended up grabbing a few more rpgs for my niece for xmas since I bought her a stack of games for her birthday. 

b2g1 on preowned ps4 and xbox titles is live. Digimon survive for 17 new on switch and ps4 16 on xbox is also up.

I ended up grabbing a few more rpgs for my niece for xmas since I bought her a stack of games for her birthday.
Which ones, going through the first few pages, don't see much that wasn't cheaper elsewhere. Need something to combine wtih Digimon Survive.

EDIT* Holy balls, the NS might have more shovelware than the Wii did...

EDIT 2* Picked up a statue that was surprisingly at a good price with Survive... but am debating canceling the order because GS has been unusually bad in terms of sending gutted new copies or damaged sealed copies lately; would say that my miss rate with new games at GS is pretty much 1 out of every 2 new games.

Which ones, going through the first few pages, don't see much that wasn't cheaper elsewhere. Need something to combine wtih Digimon Survive.

EDIT* Holy balls, the NS might have more shovelware than the Wii did...

EDIT 2* Picked up a statue that was surprisingly at a good price with Survive... but am debating canceling the order because GS has been unusually bad in terms of sending gutted new copies or damaged sealed copies lately; would say that my miss rate with new games at GS is pretty much 1 out of every 2 new games.
Tales of Berseria zesteria and vesperia, nier automata, nier replicant and sword art online alicization, and digimon survive but not part of the b2g1.

I had 50 credit and Rakuten had the 12% cash back which ended up being 12 bucks after only 35 ish out of pocket. Plus whatever cash back on my card.

The first trio is not the same price as vesperia is 14.99, zesty 13.99 and Berseria 16.99 iirc. But close enough. The second trio were all 14.99. I was gonna grab her ni no Kuni 2 13 sentinels and south park fractured but they were 5.99, 6.99, 7.99 each but those were oos.

I got her a ps4 for Xmas so she hasn't played any titles for the system. So a lot of rpgs on sale are good deals for her anyway.

I only went through the first 15 pages.

Tales of Berseria zesteria and vesperia, nier automata, nier replicant and sword art online alicization, and digimon survive but not part of the b2g1.

I had 50 credit and Rakuten had the 12% cash back which ended up being 12 bucks after only 35 ish out of pocket. Plus whatever cash back on my card.

The first trio is not the same price as vesperia is 14.99, zesty 13.99 and Berseria 16.99 iirc. But close enough. The second trio were all 14.99. I was gonna grab her ni no Kuni 2 13 sentinels and south park fractured but they were 5.99, 6.99, 7.99 each but those were oos.

I got her a ps4 for Xmas so she hasn't played any titles for the system. So a lot of rpgs on sale are good deals for her anyway.

I only went through the first 15 pages.
Ah shit, I keep forgetting to check for cashback... 12% would have been nice, spent like $200 at GS over the past 2 weeks on non-gaming stuff.

Bought Star Ocean: The Divine Force for $28.08 using a $10 and $3 cert at Gamestop  and Valkyrie Elysium used for $28.78 using code BLKFR22 at Gamefly.

Bought Fire Emblem Three Hopes. I already owned Valkyire and Star Ocean, and I'm waiting till Diofield gets cheaper on PC (Just because the controls would be much better on PC I'm assuming since it's a RTS/RPG Hybrid).

Bought Fire Emblem Three Hopes. I already owned Valkyire and Star Ocean, and I'm waiting till Diofield gets cheaper on PC (Just because the controls would be much better on PC I'm assuming since it's a RTS/RPG Hybrid).
All of these $30-40 Square Enix and Sega published games are going to continue to fall. I wouldn't play them right away so I'm pretty much waiting on all of them. SE in particular seems to have pushed out a ton of titles in the past few months.

Three Hopes is also part of the AWD 20% discount.. so I'm going to give it a try for $23. Also grabbed :switch: Digimon Survive with GS certificates. Hopefully the performance is bearable on nsw?

Happy Thanksgiving to all cags!

Digimon survive is a visual novel / srpg. It'll run fine on the switch since it's barely low grade disgaea ps2 level at most.

I played it entirely in handheld mode Fwiw.

All of these $30-40 Square Enix and Sega published games are going to continue to fall. I wouldn't play them right away so I'm pretty much waiting on all of them. SE in particular seems to have pushed out a ton of titles in the past few months.
Yeah they'll be down to $20 in 3 months probably.

I'm wondering if people can vouch for the quality of titles like Harvestella, TO Reborn, and Star Ocean.

I recently finished Somnium Files: Nirvana Initiative.  [customspoiler='Impressions without plot specifics'] 
Overall I felt like it was a step down from the original.  Action scenes are still cringe-y.  Some production values are higher and they definitely push the envelope further on innuendos (if that's your thing).  Somnium gameplay is a little better.  Some good humor (I enjoy Mizuki) but also some shallow, poor characters.  But mainly I kept waiting for the brilliant plot moment similar to what happened in the first game, and it just never happened. I liked the first game quite a bit but would put the sequel a full letter grade behind. [/customspoiler]

I also recently used the FFIX Moguri Mod on steam deck and really recommend that (without the music changes).

I'm wondering if people can vouch for the quality of titles like Harvestella, TO Reborn, and Star Ocean.

I recently finished Somnium Files: Nirvana Initiative. [customspoiler='Impressions without plot specifics']
Overall I felt like it was a step down from the original. Action scenes are still cringe-y. Some production values are higher and they definitely push the envelope further on innuendos (if that's your thing). Somnium gameplay is a little better. Some good humor (I enjoy Mizuki) but also some shallow, poor characters. But mainly I kept waiting for the brilliant plot moment similar to what happened in the first game, and it just never happened. I liked the first game quite a bit but would put the sequel a full letter grade behind. [/customspoiler]

I also recently used the FFIX Moguri Mod on steam deck and really recommend that (without the music changes).
Can't speak on the Remake but I played the TO on the PSP and if you liked FF Tactics, you'll enjoy TO.

Final Fantasy 35th anniversary celebration is next month. We could see Final Fantasy Tactics Remaster or even Final Fantasy IX Remake.
both-agree.gif

...and I'm waiting till Diofield gets cheaper on PC (Just because the controls would be much better on PC I'm assuming since it's a RTS/RPG Hybrid).
I didn't like the controls a whole lot on console, so I tried the demo on PC. It's somehow worse.

That said, I finished it, and sort of enjoyed it, but it felt like it never reached any of its potential. Play the demo if you're interested. If you enjoy it, the rest of the game isn't actually any different. It doesn't get any deeper on any aspects.

UTAWARERUMONO : MASK OF TRUTH ps4 launch edition is getting a reprint at vgp and will be on sale for 14.99 cad today. They didn't mention in the email but the vita version was also reprinted and is currently 49.99 cad. Not sure if it will get the price reduced once the sale begins. 

UTAWARERUMONO : MASK OF TRUTH ps4 launch edition is getting a reprint at vgp and will be on sale for 14.99 cad today. They didn't mention in the email but the vita version was also reprinted and is currently 49.99 cad. Not sure if it will get the price reduced once the sale begins.
On Twitter they said Vita version will not be on sale. Also I think this is more leftover stock instead of reprint as Altus does not have the license any more.

Seems kind of disengenious to reprint a "launch" edition... also I thought Vita game production was cut-off like a year or two ago?

On Twitter they said Vita version will not be on sale. Also I think this is more leftover stock instead of reprint as Altus does not have the license any more.
That would make sense but I have to wonder if these are like on a palette in the back of the warehouse buried on the top shelf or something that they keep finding these launch editions years after stock had dried up.

Meh. I like Nosuri well enough but she's not a strong enough character to carry something on her own. It would give a chance for her and her brother Ougi to get more development though. Also another prequel so anything that happens during this side timeline stuff is whatever.

inb4 ougi is the culprit or something in every case.

There are other BF Play-Asia deals like Dead or Alive Beach Scarlet Switch and Grandia HD Switch for 10 bucks off. Not amazing but they're there.

Gamestop has Disgaea 6 Complete PS5 for $19.99 on clearance. Also found My Hero One's Justice 2 PS4 for under $10. Both still in sealed plastic.

[attachment=37532:20221125_133206#1.jpg]

[attachment=37533:20221125_135848.jpg]

Gamestop has Disgaea 6 Complete PS5 for $19.99 on clearance.
Thanks, dood. Still waiting to get a ps5 console but I grabbed this. Ordered one for store pickup using trade credit and rakuten 12% cb.

If the website shows at least one copy available, that currently means the store has 2+ in their inventory and should pick a non-gutted one for you (unless store inventory is off). For this reason, store pickup is much more probable to yield a sealed copy than ordering it for shipping.

How is Eiyuden Chronicle Rising? It’s on sale for 2.99 in the eshop but don’t want to buy it if it’s something I’ll drop after an hour.
Haven't played yet but based on what I know.. it's a fairly short, retro-inspired side-scroller that functions as a precursor to the upcoming Hundred Heroes title. Fairly well received so whether you drop it will be up to you.

It's almost certainly worth $2.99 on eshop (unless you're like me and have access to it on gamepass or such).

Less than 20 or so used "Good" copies of Digimon Survive (PS4) up on Amazon Warehouse Deals.

Qualifies for the AWD 20% off sale, so

$15.64 --> $12.51

I'm surprised to see another spin-off announced, and with such a quick turnaround at that. Didn't think Utawarerumono was that popular. Probably going to be shorter given the budget pricepoint. I also think this is the first time an entry will be on Switch, though I can't imagine this will be a good entry point to the series based on the plot blurb from the article.

There's also a backlog building of unlocalized titles - Zan 2, Monochrome Moebius, and now this one. Hope NISA picks them up soon.

bread's done
Back