Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
I too had no idea these was a sequel to Rhapsody... much less two of them.

I too am also over NISA, seems like most of their releases have some major bigs/issues and their CEs suck.
There are actually three (I think), not including spin-offs like Marl Jong.

I say I think because the last sequel is a PSP-exclusive RPG about which essentially zero information is available on the English-speaking web. It seems to ditch some of the elements of the earlier games, but a Japanese-language longplay I looked up a while back includes story references to the previous games and musically-themed gameplay, so probably? It’s called Antiphona no Seikahime: Tenshi no Gakufu Op.A.

Oh that's kind of cool Rhapsody II & III are coming west. I didn't even know they existed since I don't follow japanese only releases for the genre.

I stopped collecting most movies. I will on rare occasions buy something but for the most part I'm happy seeing something in streaming for one watch and be happy and move on. The main exceptions are the occasional marvel movies and star wars... though even Marvel I stopped buying them since it's easier to just have Disney+. In the end I don't re-watch movies that much outside of the certain classics and even those it's more like every 5 to 10 years.
I agree with you. With so many ways to watch movies and shows nowadays, I realize there's so few I would want to watch over and over again thus there's so few I need to actually own. Funny but I have the same exceptions as you with Marvel and Star Wars but I also have Pixar on the list although the newest titles of all 3 haven't been so good lately. I collect DC too though I don't rewatch so many of their movies given how depressing and overly serious so many of their movies are. Long for the old days of Superman movies with Christopher Reeve in it and wish they would have stuck with that formula where heroes were heroes when making superhero movies.

It's been far easier cutting back on buying videos than it's been with games. With videos, like you said, you can watch something once and be done with it but with games, at least it is for me, I want to take my time to play it through and feel like I actually own the game to play even it's years and years from now never to be taken away. None of that Gamepass stuff for me which is trying to make gaming subscription-based where you end up renting but never owning anything. Anyway, whether it's video streaming or Gamepass, things can disappear so it's always better to own it physically if it's a title you really like.

Oh that's kind of cool Rhapsody II & III are coming west. I didn't even know they existed since I don't follow japanese only releases for the genre.
I feel like Switch has really been great for reviving/porting a lot of games that were just thought of as gone. While Vita sorta did that a bit, the Switch has really been a much greater movement regarding this aspect, which is great to see.

Just received notification from Amazon that my order of Witch of the Holy Night for the Switch just shipped and will arrive on Sunday. I also ordered the PS4 copy but that haven't shipped yet.

PS5/Switch/PC only. Not rad.
Is this a "I only have an Xbox or a PS4" post? 'Cause JRPG nerds should have a Switch, PC, or PS5 by this point...

Lost Odyssey is the best out of the ones mentioned, amazing soundtrack, presentation, and pretty good story for what was supposed to be the actual next Final Fantasy game, IMO.

I own everything mentioned and haven't played any of them!

Technically, I guess I played 10 minutes of Infinite Undiscovery.
Can't speak for most of the JP games on that list but Lost Odyssey is a damn fine game... I grew up on SNES/PS1 JRPGs and I loved that game, even with the 15 second load times before every random battle (not kidding). Once they allowed you to install discs to the HD the load times got shorter and I'm guessing the digital copy is shorter too.

Infinite Undiscover is one I've wanted to play but never got around to.

Is this a "I only have an Xbox or a PS4" post? 'Cause JRPG nerds should have a Switch, PC, or PS5 by this point...

Lost Odyssey is the best out of the ones mentioned, amazing soundtrack, presentation, and pretty good story for what was supposed to be the actual next Final Fantasy game, IMO.
I mean, I have a PC, but I’d prefer to own it physically for PS4. I’m starting to doubt whether I’ll ever get a Switch the way sales haven’t been happening for that console, and I have zero interest in the PS5 so far.

And if we’re talking about wishes, what I’d really like is for it to be on PSP, it feels like I spend more time gaming on that than everything else I own combined these days. Hopefully the official release will prompt someone to finally inject the fan translation scripts into a patch for the PS1 games.

Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon are both excellent JRPGs, I'd highly recommend them. Lost Odyssey has a phenomenal story and Blue Dragon is JRPG comfort food a la Dragon Quest. Kind of bummed that Mistwalker's been so quiet and that Fantasian is stranded on Apple Arcade.

The Agarest War series is also on PS3 (though Agarest 1 is digital-only in the US). It's an okay SRPG series. It doesn't compare to Tactics Ogre, Fire Emblem, and so on. But it is a niche genre and if you're hungry for something relatively competent it can probably scratch that itch.

Infinite Undiscovery was the most middle-of-the-road game I've ever played. I didn't hate it, I didn't love it. The plot twists were predictable (obnoxiously so in some cases) and it takes multiple long playthroughs to get the true ending so I gave up after a while.

Spectral Force 3, Operation Darkness, Magna Carta 2, and Culdcept Saga are other notable 360-only JRPGs or JRPG-adjacent games that I never got around to playing before I bailed and moved to the PS ecosystem. No clue what's available digitally or even BC, but I still have my physical copies and a 360 laying around somewhere.

I mean, I have a PC, but I’d prefer to own it physically for PS4. I’m starting to doubt whether I’ll ever get a Switch the way sales haven’t been happening for that console, and I have zero interest in the PS5 so far.

And if we’re talking about wishes, what I’d really like is for it to be on PSP, it feels like I spend more time gaming on that than everything else I own combined these days. Hopefully the official release will prompt someone to finally inject the fan translation scripts into a patch for the PS1 games.
Sales have happened for the switch and the lite especially but there haven't been many since the pandemic started.

I’m starting to doubt whether I’ll ever get a Switch the way sales haven’t been happening for that console,
Console sales have been pretty minimal. The best ones have been where they bundled in digital game for no additional cost so at least you got something. Software though has had a lot of sales. The main problem is if you want some of the bigger games Nintendo has published that aren't available anymore in physical... you may have to pony up some extra cash or just flip to taking advantage of eshop card sales and then the voucher system to at least bring the price down.

Until they fix/change it, I still like the GameStop $5 monthly powerup pro reward for that.

I buy digital cards on sale too, but I also let the GameStop $5 turn into $5 eshop credit every month (or if I want to do it online, I'll buy a $10 one for $5. You can't do a $0 transaction online, but 50% off is still pretty nice). You can also do PlayStation, Steam, or Xbox but Nintendo is my go-to (and them always having a $10 option online is a plus)

I am convinced one day they'll change it, but as long as you still can do it I will do it.

They just did.
oooh you're right, it says the item in my cart doesn't qualify this month. Welp, nevermind.

I'm guessing it doesn't work in store anymore either, then?

Edit: I glanced over the GameStop thread, sounds like it may still work in store. Though potentially you can't get just a $5 card, you'd have to go for $10 etc. It was definitely way more convenient to do online.

Some visual novel news and releases.

QUALIA ~The Path of Promise~ was released from Sekai Project/Denpasoft from PURESIS. It stars an android who is the first to pass the Turing Test and she goes home with her creator. She develops feelings as well for said creator and also wears maid's clothes. It's a kinetic visual novel meaning it has no choices, but is supposed to be long. It looks alright and has good art. 18+ patch also available for the steam version. 10% off on release. 

Steam

Steam 18+ Patch (NSFW)

Denpasoft (NSFW)

VNDB (NSFW)

Rance IX -The Helmanian Revolution is finally coming out from Mangagamer on February 23, 2023. This has been a long time coming and is supposedly a massive game. We'll see Rance X in like five years or so. There is 10% discount for pre-ordering and this will only be on Mangagamer and possibly JAST USA eventually. There is a 10% discount for pre-ordering.

Mangagamer (NSFW)

JAST USA is releasing Nitro Origin's Tokyo Necro soon and looks really cool. Some people start fighting against necromancers. Looks action packed. Very likely will have an 18+ patch and has a discount on JAST USA.

Steam

JAST USA (NSFW)

VNDB (NSFW)

Committee of Zero has released a restoration patch for CHAOS;HEAD NOAH. This adds a lot of stuff, as the release we got was pretty butchered. The translation is better, many CGs have been put back and I believe it has the 18+ content too. I know someone on here wanted the patch and here it is. I'm going to get this game sometime too and play it.

Restoration Patch

Inochi no Spare also got a fan translation. I have no idea of the quality but it's about some girls and they're terminally ill and a main character.

Patch

VNDB (NSFW)

Target has Buy 1 get 1 50% off select games. Ordering two of one and canceling seems to work for a flat ~25% off including some preorders like Dokapon, Little Witch Nobeta, Alice Gear, etc

Target has Buy 1 get 1 50% off select games. Ordering two of one and canceling seems to work for a flat ~25% off including some preorders like Dokapon, Little Witch Nobeta, Alice Gear, etc
While nice, this just makes me want to wait for the next B2G1 with its flat 33% off after canceling, at least for any $50-$60 things.

Thanks. Grabbing Alice Gear Aegis, it's always a gamble if switch games get included in these sales.

Does NISA still charge for pre-orders a month in advance? Trying to budget my upcoming pre-orders- got quite a few expensive items coming up between now and end of March so trying to see if I wanna trim anything... 

Edit*

Just saw on Reddit that yesterday was the 25th anniversary of Xenogears.

EDIT2* Dear SE, Xenogears Remaster please. Thanks. 

Does NISA still charge for pre-orders a month in advance? Trying to budget my upcoming pre-orders- got quite a few expensive items coming up between now and end of March so trying to see if I wanna trim anything...

Edit*

EDIT2* Dear SE, Xenogears Remaster please. Thanks.
At least via credit card, NISA waits to charge until just prior to shipment.

Edit*
EDIT2* Dear SE, Xenogears Remaster please. Thanks.
Have they ported it with trophy support yet?

They charged me about a month out from the release for Labyrinth of Galleria.

Idea Factory announced a new otome coming to the west, but whoever is in charge of their communications should be fired. They announced that they would have a stream on 2/14.  During that stream they ran over an hour of static before making the 1 minute game announcement.  Pissed the otome community off.  It ties into the game, but at most they should’ve had 5-10 minutes of that, not have people sit for an hour watching static.  

Anyway, the game is Charade Maniacs.

https://www.gematsu.com/2023/02/charade-maniacs-for-switch-coming-west-this-summer

I'm always so behind on otome games. If it's anything I remember the livestream of Nekonyansoft or JAST USA panel from Anime Expo and it went as well a live could be, if it failed completely and never went anywhere haha.

Speaking of visual novels Shiravune released BETA-SIXDOUZE the sequel to their other localized game ALPHA-NIGHTHAWK. 20% off for a bit over a day or a bit more if you own the original, and you likely should if you're buying this. 18+ patch for the Steam version as well.

Steam

18+ Patch (NSFW)

NekoNyansoft is releasing The Future Radio and the Artificial Pigeons this Friday. This has been a long time coming ever since that other scam company got some of its licenses bought up. I will provide an 18+ patch when available. I believe this is quite drama filled.

Steam

Has anyone got an opinion on Wanted Dead? I ore ordered it during a Target B2G1 and forgot about it. It arrived today but I see such mixed reviews. IGN seems to be the only review that hated it and I never trust them

Has anyone got an opinion on Wanted Dead? I ore ordered it during a Target B2G1 and forgot about it. It arrived today but I see such mixed reviews. IGN seems to be the only review that hated it and I never trust them
Destructoid's review was less negative and more fun to read: https://www.destructoid.com/reviews/wanted-dead-review-destructoid-playstation-pc-xbox-110-industries/

Personally I'm waiting for $20 or less--there's too much else releasing soon that I'm more interested in (e.g., Octopath 2, Wo Long, Resident Evil 4) to spend $40 or more on something that's bound to drop in price quickly.

I plan to pick it up when it drops in price a bit but not because of reviews. I never buy games day-one anymore. The game sounds awesome/fun to me.

Game looks like hot trash to me. I'll buy it when it's like $5 bucks. It does look fun in an ultra jank style like that school girl zombie one. The zombie game was pretty bad, but I got it for $5 and had a few hours fun with it.

Game looks like hot trash to me. I'll buy it when it's like $5 bucks. It does look fun in an ultra jank style like that school girl zombie one. The zombie game was pretty bad, but I got it for $5 and had a few hours fun with it.
What, SG/ZH? That was great, you just have no taste.

Thanks I'll bite on it. Also be sure to use the overhaul patch for NOAH and there is a Chaos;Child patch as well for typos and stuff. The overhaul is 18+ though, so it may not be for everyone, but it's a very mature visual novel anyway.

Committee of Zero patches

Yeah similar here.  I decided to keep the double pack steelbook sealed and then use the fan translation on steam deck.  No issues supporting the release twice.  Especially since I've recently read that MAGES is badly struggling profit-wise.

The Future Radio and the Artificial Pigeons is out now on Steam and various other Storefronts. It has an 11% one week discount. The 18+ patch is also linked below for the Steam version.

Steam

18+ Patch (NSFW)

Just a reminder in less than a week Rance IX is coming out I believe only on Mangagamer. There is a pre-order discount and I doubt this will get discounted much for a while.

Mangagamer (NSFW)

Soul-Hackers-1.jpg

Soul Hackers 2 down to $17.99 at several Targets, down from $29.99 from last week. 

I've visited a bunch of stores in the last week and found about 4-5 instances of 1-2 copies of Jojo's Bizzare Adventure on PS5 for $14.99 as well.  These final (70% off) markdowns happen quickly, and then they're gone. 

bread's done
Back