Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
https://twitter.com/VideoGamesPlus_/status/1658188109505257485?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1658188109505257485%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=
I hope it's for some of those older Atelier games... like Firis or Nelke.

They've got to be rated T for Teen and be of high value currently on the aftermarket.

My shortlist would be:

Nights of Azure
Nights or Azure 2
Crystar (Has a sequel coming...)
Summon Night 6

Vinny is the winner. I'll be over here enjoying my crow dinner.
Happy for Firis but wish it was Nelke instead of Sophie; Sophie doesn't seem like it's as hard to find as Nelke.

Also pretty fucking annoyed that they're taking another around of pre-orders for Cold Steel III and Liar Princess but still haven't shipped my order from the original order.

Happy for Firis but wish it was Nelke instead of Sophie; Sophie doesn't seem like it's as hard to find as Nelke.

Also pretty fucking annoyed that they're taking another around of pre-orders for Cold Steel III and Liar Princess but still haven't shipped my order from the original order.
It’s not another round of preorders. They received their stock and have copies leftover to sell. Yesterday afternoon they said they’re shipping out the actual preorders now…

Got my shipping confirmation for Liar Princess an hour ago. Give them a day.

My potential July PA order is coming out to over $350, ouchie...

Zero Fire $52

Atelier Marie remake $50

Unmetal $45

Vengeful Guardian Moonrider $40 (was this $40 from LRG? I missed out on their preorder)

Trouble Witches Final $38

Celeste $34

Ghost Trick $30

Ed-0 $27

Space Force 1 & 2 $19

Probably gonna hold off on Unmetal though because it seems like kind of a rip off for $45, although the game looks cool.

Hana Awase will be released worldwide on October 26, 2023 for the Switch.  This otome game has 4 volumes that were previously released for PC.  It supports Japanese, English and Chinese.  These games are a VN with hanafuda battles.  The battle system has been updated for this release.  

https://www.gematsu.com/2023/05/hana-awase-new-moon-launches-october-26

Outside Japan it will be digital only like their prior releases.  

The physical box set is up at Amazon Japan, it is pricey since it is a set of 4 full games.  
https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/gp/product/B0C59BC9CD/

You can also purchase the games individually.  

Just got this from Play Asia:

We know you've been waiting patiently for the item Atelier Marie Remake: The

Alchemist of Salburg (English). We have received information and unfortunately, we
can no longer source the stock of this item. We assure you that we did everything
possible to find potential suppliers, but due to unforeseen circumstances, our
supplies were cut short. We appreciate your kind understanding on this matter.
I hope the Asia English version is still going to be released.

I preordered Atelier Marie Remake in February. I haven't seen any comment in my email.

Edit: I have a preorder on the Switch version.

I had a PS5 copy pre-ordered, got a cancellation email this morning. Guessing the PS Asia-English version got cancelled, same as the PS4 FF Pixel Remasters. Sucks to see it happening more and more.

Weird they still have pre-orders up for the LE PS5 version of Atelier Marie Remake.  Doesn't seem like PS4 vs PS5 will make a difference though.  Might just settle on the PS4 version.

I just noticed that playasia lists the Japanese version of the Atelier Marie Remake Limited Editions (Switch/PS4/PS5) as being multi-language.  The standard Japanese versions say they are only in Japanese.  Is that a mistake?  Why would the limited editions have English but not the standard editions?

I noticed the multi-language on the ps5 LE too.  My gut instinct was saying it is just a typo.  So I went with the ps4 version, since I really can't image the ps4 and ps5 versions being that different.  Hopefully that one doesn't get canceled too >.

Which platform was your preorder for?
The PS5 version. I just looked at the site and saw they still have the PS4 version up for sale, so I've asked them to switch to that. Hopefully that one doesn't get cancelled too.

Edit: Looks like it is the PS5 version that's the issue, Play Asia switched to the PS4 version no problem.

A few Anime Central announcements. Nothing crazy and maybe some more today.

Sekai Project announced that platform action game Alice Escaped! is out in Q3 for the Switch.

My Little Sister's Special Place is in QA and also scheduled for Q3.

Amairo Chocolate 2 is in testing and already approved on Steam. Great first game.

Animal Trail Girlish Square LOVE+PLUS & Animal Trail Girlish Square 2 are 100% edited and translated and releasing soon. They're waiting on builds for QA.

Mangagamer announced two games at their panel. First is Nightmare x Vampire: Inferno of Retribution, another in that series. It's about demon hunters and stuff like that.

Mangagamer (NSFW)

VNDB (NSFW)

The other game is another in the series Uchikano: Living with my Lovers. This is in the same series as living with my girlfriend and living with my sister. A guy wants a gf and hurts himself at work. Two girls take care of them and hilarity and sexiness ensues. I've only played a little of the 1st one, but it was seemed nice and cozy.

Mangagamer (NSFW)

VNDB (NSFW)

Shiravune released Kuroinu Redux on Steam and Johren. This is a pretty graphic game I haven't played, but I'm pretty sure to get the full experience you need the 18+ patch.

Steam

Steam 18+ Patch (NSFW)

VNDB (NSFW)

They also announced Succubus Sessions: Mami Mamiya's Sweet Slice of Hell from Argonauts. This will release on July 21st, 2023. A man looks for love and a succubus also is looking at the same time. She feels a certain force from him and she convinces him to go to her small remote hometown. This looks cute and probably is an alright nukige. Depending on release I may buy it.

VNDB (NSFW)

One last announcement from them is Queen of the Otaku: THERE CAN ONLY BE ONE from Appetite. This releases on July 17th, 2023. This one is about some guy in a manga club at a university. It's a nerds' club and has one very beautiful girl. One day a young beautiful girl joins and a battle begins between the two. This sounds silly and cute, but I think goes pretty dark with some gang activity for lack of a better description. This is very short, and likely will be a pass from me.

Steam

VNDB (NSFW)

One last game which released is Love on Leave from qureate. This isn't an 18+ release, but a suggestive 17+ one. In this one you have a mini life simulation where you as a character quit a job and get two weeks paid leave. You want to relax after burnout, and you remember your childhood home in the countryside and return to it. You are there for two weeks living it up and meet three girls. They're a childhood friend and two sisters. This is your story and I'm sure it's fun to play. It's not only on Steam with a launch discount, but also on Switch. I'm likely picking it up on Steam if it has cards/achievements.

Qureate site

Steam

I'm drinking my afternoon coffee while browsing Teepublic.com for cool shirt designs, adding bookmarks for wishlist to buy later. 

Search for "Tifa" (Lockheart) oh my god some of these designs are pretty funny. 

I'm drinking my afternoon coffee while browsing Teepublic.com for cool shirt designs, adding bookmarks for wishlist to buy later.

Search for "Tifa" (Lockheart) oh my god some of these designs are pretty funny.
Jesus Christ... And then I saw that the NSFW filter was on.

Baten Kaitos HD delayed until September per Play Asia in my email this morning. Lame.
Add utawarerumono monochrome mobius to the list. Amazon sent me a email saying it's delayed and I'll get it in October now. Shame as the original release was around the same time I take my birthday week vacation. So I had planned to play it. Welp.

Octopath Traveller II (Switch) is on gamefly used for $34.99 .   I know it's $39.99 new elsewhere but this should come complete and pretty much perfect and it has free shipping.

https://www.gamefly.com/game/octopath-traveler-ii/5037389

Also I had mentioned in the past that sometimes Gamefly does preorders at prices below retail... but then there weren't any I could point out.  So, I'm not crazy... there is one preorder game right now for switch that had a price drop.

Oni: Road To Be The Mightiest Oni $35.94

https://www.gamefly.com/game/oni-road-to-be-the-mightiest-oni/5038996

I'm not vouching for that specific game, just saying this might be worth keeping in mind if they end up doing a game you do want to preorder but there's no deal anywhere.

Witch on the Holy Night is on sale for $30 on Play-Asia, it appears discount codes do not work to further lower the price.

Not sure if this will ever get a Western physical release and likely to become rare, so if you are at all interested, now may be the best time to buy.
It already got a Western physical release, but it seems to be OOP so that Play-Asia listing might be the way to go:

https://www.amazon.com/Witch-Holy-Night-Limited-Nintendo-Switch/dp/B0BL5XBFHJ/

Witch on the Holy Night is on sale for $30 on Play-Asia, it appears discount codes do not work to further lower the price.

Not sure if this will ever get a Western physical release and likely to become rare, so if you are at all interested, now may be the best time to buy.
FYI this is the regular edition which is just the game in a case. Japan had a limited edition with an outer box and artbook. The US only had one version made which is the limited version with the box and artbook (but in English). So this version probably won’t be the one that’ll be in demand.

English version which is OOP will be the most in demand, then the Japanese limited version, then this one.

There have been a lot of visual novel releases that I'm posting another release thread.

First of all Uchikano - Living With My Lovers is on Steam. I put only Mangagamer before. It has a 10% launch discount for about 15 more hours.

Steam (NSFW)

AKAIITO HD REMASTER from SUCCESS Corp was also released for both PC and Switch. This is a horror yuri game that is a classic and has a supposedly barely OK English translation. This one is about girls going on a training camp. They arrive around a festival celebrating a god, when bad weather starts to occur. They find a girl washed up on the beach and she can't speak, leading them on an adventure. Cheaper on the Switch. Also this along with the next game are available on the Switch in a Japanese limited edition. This game has many choices and plays more like an adventure game compared to a visual novel.

Steam

Switch

VNDB (NSFW)

AOISHIRO HD REMASTER also from SUCESS Corp is the sister game to the game above and also released for both PC and Switch. This one has a girl coming come to arrange the inheritance of her deceased mother. She has a dream about a huge tree and a women lost in sadness. She learns about the secrets contained in her blood. Similarly it has a somewhat just OK English translation and plays more like an adventure game than a visual novel.

Steam

Switch

VNDB (NSFW)

OPPAI Ero App Academy Bigger, Better, Electric Boobaloo! from Milkfactory came out as well. This is a nukige set in an all girl academy where you as the main character are the first boy there. The bigger the bust the higher the exp. Will you be able to conquer this academy. I played the previous one and it's an entertaining nukige. You just pick you who you like, some story happens and you get some scenes. The art and voice acting are good. For all the boob lovers. There is a patch to remove the mosaic censoring as well.

Steam (NSFW)

Path (NSFW)

There have been a lot of visual novel releases that I'm posting another release thread.

First of all Uchikano - Living With My Lovers is on Steam. I put only Mangagamer before. It has a 10% launch discount for about 15 more hours.

Steam (NSFW)

AKAIITO HD REMASTER from SUCCESS Corp was also released for both PC and Switch. This is a horror yuri game that is a classic and has a supposedly barely OK English translation. This one is about girls going on a training camp. They arrive around a festival celebrating a god, when bad weather starts to occur. They find a girl washed up on the beach and she can't speak, leading them on an adventure. Cheaper on the Switch. Also this along with the next game are available on the Switch in a Japanese limited edition and a forthcoming European edition. This game has many choices and plays more like an adventure game compared to a visual novel.

Steam

Switch

VNDB (NSFW)

Play-Asia Europe Copy Pre-order

AOISHIRO HD REMASTER also from SUCESS Corp is the sister game to the game above and also released for both PC and Switch. This one has a girl coming come to arrange the inheritance of her deceased mother. She has a dream about a huge tree and a women lost in sadness. She learns about the secrets contained in her blood. Similarly it has a somewhat just OK English translation and plays more like an adventure game than a visual novel.

Steam

Switch

VNDB (NSFW)

OPPAI Ero App Academy Bigger, Better, Electric Boobaloo! from Milkfactory came out as well. This is a nukige set in an all girl academy where you as the main character are the first boy there. The bigger the bust the higher the exp. Will you be able to conquer this academy. I played the previous one and it's an entertaining nukige. You just pick you who you like, some story happens and you get some scenes. The art and voice acting are good. For all the boob lovers. There is a patch to remove the mosaic censoring as well.

Steam (NSFW)

Path (NSFW)
These games aren't always my top priority, but I am interested in them. Just passing by the say thanks for so many frequent, detailed updates and links. Even if I don't have time to deep dive into them, I usually use your Steam links to wishlist to keep it in mind until later (or if no steam link is available, I bookmark the others to add to my wishlist spreadsheet later)

3 more games of interest releasing and/or releasing soon.

Kagura games released Spiral Dystopia their first visual novel title, as they usually release RPGMaker games. This one has a guy and his 2 childhood friends in high school I believe. He watches over a family shrine and one day a beautiful girl comes into town transferring into his class throwing a wrinkle into his life. It has fantasy elements in it. Their is a 20% off launch discount.

Steam

18+ Patch

Sugar Sweet Temptation was supposed to come out, but was delayed at least a week. I'll post when it releases and likely the 18+ patch for the Steam version.

Nekonyan released their first non visual novel. This one is Lorena and the Land of Ruins with a launch discount. It kind has platforming and shooting. It looks kind of fun. There is a lot of backlash because of censorship, but this was done at a developer level. The developer decided to change the main version in Japanese, and Nekonyan has nothing to do with that choice. They always advocate for stuff as it was intended, so that backlash is very unjustified. Just my two cents, but the game itself just looks alright.

Steam

Last but not least there is an interesting visual novel fan translation that shadow dropped out of nowhere. I'm not even sure which group did it. It is Dei Gratia in the fifth day: Dei Gratia no Rashinban. It was compared to Ever21 by someone, so maybe there is a good game here. It is an all ages game.

DLSite (NSFW)

VNDB (NSFW)

Patch (NSFW)

nearly 80 hours into trails from zero now.  just made it to the final section and got the trophies for cooking, sidequests and such.  I won't get the chest or monster trophies since apparently chests require ng+? monster wise I am missing 10 after counting through the book. gold bird near ursula is one of them and it refuses to spawn. So i give up with that.

Overall it was an ok romp.  Some of the sidequests were tedious and or stupid but most of them weren't too terrible/fetch questy compared to the mmo shit that was cold steel 1.  I'd say zero's biggest weakpoint would be the lack of party members and being always stuck with the usual 4 for story and other stuff.  Wazy, arios get a little bit of screen time and then noelle, joshua, renne, illya, rixia and estelle to a lesser extent. 

The other issue stems from the diet and such being your antagonists but you only meet 3 named npcs from there one of which you'd miss if you didn't find them in ursula and the other is a sidequest. Hartman is the only constant and even he's only seen or mentioned a handful of times.  You never meet the commander of the cgf, nor the chief of police.  So it just feels kinda bleh. 

I won't get the chest or monster trophies since apparently chests require ng+?
There is a dungeon in Zero that is exlusive to ng+. I actually don't have experience trophy hunting in the newest release of Zero yet. But the way Falcom usually does this is to have an EX section of the notebook that contains the data for those enemies, and this section does not factor in to trophy completion.

Plotwise, yeah Zero is just so-so as a standalone experience. But it also serves as a setup for the "peak trails" moments in Azure. I think the best plot element in Zero is the conclusion of a matter between three specific characters that reaches back to Trails in the Sky the 3rd (you'll recognize this when you see the scenes toward the end of the game).

I'll assume you are talking about the missing child case?

While it was a good segment (outside of the completely unbelievable child stuff. Someone please beat that kids butt) that doesn't help zero stand on its own.

And personally I just didn't find it believable/took it at face value for some of it. Especially the parts about loans. You don't just magically pay off loans.

I'll probably get to Azure sometime next year as I need a break from series to prevent burnout. But at least zero is thus far a more enjoyable experience than cs1 was somewhat. As the plot at least wasn't as much filler quest crap and backloaded.

It kinda felt like they leaned in on returning characters Joshua Estelle and Renne though. But I get it since they needed to wrap up their stuff. But much like cs I didn't feel like they developed the cast past they are x trope. callbacks to earlier events they should have saved for Azure as they are too early to be self references.

bread's done
Back