Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
Legend of Heroes: Kuro no Kiseki confirmed for Summer 2024 release in the US as Trails through Daybreak, Collector's Edition preorder page up already
Thanks for posting. Wasn't expecting this today and this was the first I saw of the announcement.

I put a preorder in for the PS4 LE, hoping that the digital PS5 version can be claimed with the ps4 disc as they did with Reverie. It was nice having $20 in rewards points available from the old site. Feeling good about decisions to pass on the Nayuta LE (going Steam Deck for this one) and the CSIII-IV PS5 rereleases.

PS5 Limited edition of Trails of Cold Steel 3 & 4 available at NISA.

I'm pretty excited about this. Hope there are some graphical upgrades?

Now if they would just relaunch a similar collector's box of Cold Steel 1 & 2 that would be perfect for everybody.
As far as changes, I would expect 60fps and dlc to be included on disc. Basically the same treatment we saw with PS5 Ys VIII.

I'm so behind on that series, but I'll eventually get to them haha. I think I'll concentrate on finishing Miles Morales (about halfway done) and then ff7 remake 1 to get ready for that series coming next year. After that who knows.
I finished zero this year. Just got to get to Azure then cs3 and 4 and reverie.

I'm far more behind on atelier. I've not even completed dusk trilogy only just working on meruru for arland quadrilogy. I have eschatology, shallie, ryza 1 and 2, Sophie 2 , mana khemia 1, and I don't recall what others.

I'm sorry, but most of the new voices in Persona 3 Reload are so wooden and flat. If I do keep my pre-order, I may play it subbed (all the English voices are different now anyway, so it doesn't matter which option I choose).

NISA charging immediately for pre-orders now is awful. I still haven't gotten to Zero (have only finished the Sky trilogy), let alone the whole Cold Steel series, so I may have to pass on Kuro, at least the collector's edition. I can cross my fingers that they'll have some collector's editions still available later in the year, when I may be able to afford it more. Maybe the pay immediately thing will turn enough people off and it won't sell out right away.

I'm so behind on that series, but I'll eventually get to them haha. I think I'll concentrate on finishing Miles Morales (about halfway done) and then ff7 remake 1 to get ready for that series coming next year. After that who knows.
How are you liking Miles Morales? I played it between Tears of the Kingdom and Final Fantasy XVI, so I'd be ready for Spider-Man 2, and I loved the gameplay and most of the characters, though I feel I should warn you that the villain is a major letdown.

I like the gameplay in Miles Morales enough although I don't enjoy the story as much as the original PS4 Spider-Man. I mean to me it feels very much like an expansion pack type stand alone game, where it offers a bit of something different, but it's not that much different than the original. Still pretty good for sure especially since it was never a fully priced game.

Yep. The series was actually my introduction to roguelikes so it has a special place in my heart.
I started playing Shiren on the SNES way back when. I do feel other than the latest Shiren (which I need to play again as it's been many years now) that Izuna was just overall the better game. The difficulty felt better to me and there seemed to be more items that were useful in combat. There also was slightly more story and character development, although there was still very little story. I breezed through both and hope this is an actual sequel, though I'm guessing it's going to be a remake likely of the first game.

I don't buy very much anime or manga anymore, but Rightstuf going away is a sad thing. All I get now is the newer Sailor Moon sets when they release the seasons again in higher quality, and usually when they're 50% off or more. The Crunchyroll store if I remember has a pretty bad interface, although the last thing I bought there were two Sailor Moon Figuarts ages ago.

I started playing Shiren on the SNES way back when. I do feel other than the latest Shiren (which I need to play again as it's been many years now) that Izuna was just overall the better game. The difficulty felt better to me and there seemed to be more items that were useful in combat. There also was slightly more story and character development, although there was still very little story. I breezed through both and hope this is an actual sequel, though I'm guessing it's going to be a remake likely of the first game.
Shiren on DS was my second game in the genre, and I fell in love with the series. I have two copies of the DS game (it was only two dollars at Gamestop), the Wii game, and and the Tower of Fortune game on both Vita smd Switch.

I don't buy very much anime or manga anymore, but Rightstuf going away is a sad thing. All I get now is the newer Sailor Moon sets when they release the seasons again in higher quality, and usually when they're 50% off or more. The Crunchyroll store if I remember has a pretty bad interface, although the last thing I bought there were two Sailor Moon Figuarts ages ago.
crunchy roll wise the last thing I bought from there was when they had the preorders for cold steel 1. I still regret not paying the 10$ more for the ce.

I guess the writing was on the wall after Sony/Cruncyroll swallowed RightStuf a while back.  That said, a bit surprised that CR decided to go this way.  I thought CR would keep RightStuf around, if only because the retailer carries competing publishers like Discotek and Sentai Filmworks.  Is CR planning to still sell anime other than Funimation?  It's hardly a strange thing, but one has to wonder how that impacts the competition when one of the largest anime retailers around is now not just owned by the competition but is also selling your products under its brand name.

It would be the equivalent of the PlayStation store selling Xbox games. 

RIP to RightStuf. I never ordered from them too much, but it was a solid retailer.  Glad to see, though, that the company will still exist even if the name itself is going away.

This is yet another sign of physical media consolidation.  As the sales numbers keep coming down, publishers are finding ways to cut costs and sell directly.  At least the options are still there, but we're definitely at the point where disc releases will start to rise in prices as premiums get attached and fewer print runs take place.

Terrible.

https://twitter.com/MangaAlerts/status/1705206692659515493
Man, this blows. I've been buying from RightStuf for over a decade. Pretty much any manga or anime I've purchased in my adult life has been from them. Prices were good and customer service was top-tier. fuck.

Terrible.
Damn that's disappointing but not unexpected as the writting was on the wall for it. I've been a customer there for a long time. Hell I even still have some of the old black & white huge catalogs they used to send out. The customer service was superb to any other retailer I've ever dealt with. I even got the most limited LE packin bonus ever to a title they distributed (it was Starship Girl Yamamoto Yohko if my memory serves me correct). It was a razor blade! It still makes me laugh lol

Welp the king is offically dead & now were screwed with the inbred idiot child ruling the otaku & weebs. God help us.

I got back into manga collecting a couple years ago thanks to Rightstuf, so seeing this happen breaks my heart. I hope we get more information soon because I have a bunch of pre-orders/backorders and I'd like to know what's going to happen to them. I thought I was smart by pre-ordering the Viz manga I wanted with my 15% coupon before the price increase at the new year, but now those could be canceled. I'm extremely upset, it's disgusting how Crunchyroll bought Rightstuf just to kill it.

Hey, remember when Crunchyroll used to be an anime pirating site? Then they realized they wore monopoly better. 2023 has been the year of corporate greed.

I got back into manga collecting a couple years ago thanks to Rightstuf, so seeing this happen breaks my heart. I hope we get more information soon because I have a bunch of pre-orders/backorders and I'd like to know what's going to happen to them. I thought I was smart by pre-ordering the Viz manga I wanted with my 15% coupon before the price increase at the new year, but now those could be canceled. I'm extremely upset, it's disgusting how Crunchyroll bought Rightstuf just to kill it.

Hey, remember when Crunchyroll used to be an anime pirating site? Then they realized they wore monopoly better. 2023 has been the year of corporate greed.
To be fair, they’re owned by Sony now, so… yeah.

Shiren on DS was my second game in the genre, and I fell in love with the series. I have two copies of the DS game (it was only two dollars at Gamestop), the Wii game, and and the Tower of Fortune game on both Vita smd Switch.
Good news: https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1705307171653824742

My Advance Wars 1&2 from gamefly showed up today. As usual no problems with them and nicely I didn't realize the cover art was reversible between the AW 1 theme or AW 2.

Good news:
What timing to have a discussion about a game and then it randomly pop up in getting a port.

Man, I guess I've missed the boat on RightStuf. I'm just now getting into manga collection since I know I won't be moving so much anymore. Been mainly buying locally as much as possible, but sad to see another online shop consolidated...

For manga reading I highly recommend the Viz manga and/or Shonen jump subscriptions.  Viz manga is $2 a month and Shonen is $3 a month.  I think they limit you to reading 100 chapters a day, but that is plenty for most people.  Each has a free trial so you can go in and see if there is enough manga for you to keep a subscription.

I have the Shonen and I've got through 600+ One Piece chapters so far. I still want to to own some of the greats, but $3/month for manga is pretty legit.

They were a pirating site? Funny I never heard about that.

They were a pirating site? Funny I never heard about that.
Just as fakku was a pirating site for doujins, before they went official... *cough*... or so I heard.

Not exactly piracy. They were a fansub group called CrunchySubs. I think either they ripped off the work of another group called HorribleSubs, or maybe vice versa.
They were illegally hosting movies, tv shows, and anime. It was basically a pirate site.

Not exactly piracy. They were a fansub group called CrunchySubs. I think either they ripped off the work of another group called HorribleSubs, or maybe vice versa.
Pretty sure HorribleSubs is just subs ripped from official streaming sites (like Crunchyroll). They had bad localization, so it was called that.

So do you think Play Asia will update the Japanese Apollo Justice trilogy price?  They listed it for 59.99, but Amazon Japan finally listed it as well for 5391 yen which is about $36.  That brings it in line with the price on the first trilogy.  

So do you think Play Asia will update the Japanese Apollo Justice trilogy price? They listed it for 59.99, but Amazon Japan finally listed it as well for 5391 yen which is about $36. That brings it in line with the price on the first trilogy.
They do change the pre-order prices for things and give messages saying they'll refund you the payment or give credit for their store. I think everyone should just wait and likely you will get better prices. Remember that Play-Asia orders aren't shipped until everything is out. I don't mind this too much for free shipping as long as the releases dates for things I order are around the same months for release.

Pretty sure HorribleSubs is just subs ripped from official streaming sites (like Crunchyroll). They had bad localization, so it was called that.
That’s right. It’s been a long time since I’ve chased fansubs around, so I couldn’t remember who was doing what in 2012 offhand.

Didn't that happen earlier this year or last year? I think British pounds are also slightly lower than usd as well. So very beneficial for importing.
Yeah, roughly this time last year...

https://www.macrotrends.net/2550/dollar-yen-exchange-rate-historical-chart

I really wish I could just prepay my Amazon JP preorders. I got two Xenogears figures preordered- when I preordered them, it would have been like $170-ish but if I pay now, they'd only be $120-ish.

So do you think Play Asia will update the Japanese Apollo Justice trilogy price? They listed it for 59.99, but Amazon Japan finally listed it as well for 5391 yen which is about $36. That brings it in line with the price on the first trilogy.
Did the price increase on Amz JP I see it back up to 6,589 yen

Probably one of the most underwhelming announcements.

The Limited Edition of Legend of Legacy Remastered is now up  for pre-order via their online storefront. Costing $79.99 for PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, and Nintendo Switch, the contents are listed below:

LLHD_RP_NSW_ESRB_US_StorelLE3D_Transparent_3000x.png

Deluxe Edition
Digital Soundtrack
Mini Art Book
“Chronicles of Avalon” 55+ Page Art Book
Masashi Hamazu Original Soundtrack
“War of the Elementalists” 24” x 17” Cloth Poster
“Seekers of the Graal” Art Card Set of 7
Collector’s Box

MAMIYA - A Shared Illusion of the World's End, Kenkou Land's dark mystery visual novel, is receiving its final chapter DoomsDay Dreams on November 21.

Cabbage Soft Visual Novel ‘Amazing Grace -What color is your attribute?-‘ announced by Shiravune and will be releasing Q4 2023. In it you play a guy who wakes up in a walled city thing and enjoys his time there. Everything is taken away by a great fire happening on Christmas day. One of the girl loves the place so much she wishes to undo it before the town goes up in flames, and time loops back to the beginning of advent. This looks OK enough and will have an 18+ patch on release as usual. 

Steam
VNDB (NSFW)

VenusBlood GAIA International is finally coming to Steam 09/26/2023. It should be censored, and I'm not 100% sure it has an 18+ patch, but it likely will.

Steam

All currencies lose value when the US raises interest rates because the dollar (as the world's default currency) gets stronger.
Yeah, no doubt, I just hadn't realized it had gotten that bad recently. I feel like it was just recently that 5391 yen was like $46 or something.

I'm one of those weirdos that actually liked The Legend of Legacy more than The Alliance Alive (can't really put my finger on why, maybe I just liked how LoL left you to your own devices immediately and AA instead guided you through a pretty bland world), so this announcement makes me smile. I'll probably hang onto my original LoL launch edition on 3DS, like I have for the AA launch edition, but if I ever get the urge to play either game again, maybe I'll grab them digitally during a sale.

I still have the 3DS version of The Legend of Legacy sealed.  I think it was $20 or less and at the time any rpg that seemed half way interesting was an instant buy.

Watching some video of the new version and looking at some play through on the 3DS version... there's one thing I really do not like at all... the way the world pops up in front of you.  This wouldn't be so bad the first time you come through an area (say for exploring and populating the map) but it still does this when you return making it hard to enjoy the "world".

I'll wait to see what the final version of this is like... but probably passing on it if they aren't toning down that pop up style.  Maybe I'd cave for a cheap enough deal... but I'm doing that a lot less these days.

Thanks for yet another overpriced, under-delivered collector's edition LRG!

how are sales during the post-crypto funny-money, PPP bucks years?  Big gulps, huh guys?  Well, cya later.

bread's done
Back