Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
I still have the 3DS version of The Legend of Legacy sealed. I think it was $20 or less and at the time any rpg that seemed half way interesting was an instant buy.

Watching some video of the new version and looking at some play through on the 3DS version... there's one thing I really do not like at all... the way the world pops up in front of you. This wouldn't be so bad the first time you come through an area (say for exploring and populating the map) but it still does this when you return making it hard to enjoy the "world".

I'll wait to see what the final version of this is like... but probably passing on it if they aren't toning down that pop up style. Maybe I'd cave for a cheap enough deal... but I'm doing that a lot less these days.
I thought the pop up effect was because you were exploring a story book or something. Frankly I don't know anything, because the story was nonexistent. This was a Saga style game at its bare bones. I don't really know if they're going to buff up the story or anything, but this will be such a hard pass. Just was way too repetitive for me, and I enjoy dungeon crawlers.

Ehhh I never bought the digital versions I'm honestly shocked the standard releases are at $35 thought they would have charged more should of been a double pack 

Double Pack haha.....LRG don't do that.
Yeah instead they should do an octuple pack. All 4 versions of 3 plus the 2 versions of 4 and 5. Or a tredecuple that includes p1 and p2 versions. Or would That make it a quattuordecuple?

Yeah instead they should do an octuple pack. All 4 versions of 3 plus the 2 versions of 4 and 5. Or a tredecuple that includes p1 and p2 versions. Or would That make it a quattuordecuple?
Don't forget selling the slip cover separately and requiring you to buy all of the set to be eligible to buy an overpriced statue!

Don't forget selling the slip cover separately and requiring you to buy all of the set to be eligible to buy an overpriced statue!
But wait there's more! If you purchase all of them individually for the low low price of 34.99 they'll each include a randomized character on the sound track sample disc.

Ehhh I never bought the digital versions I'm honestly shocked the standard releases are at $35 thought they would have charged more should of been a double pack
$35 pre-tax and shipping. Depends on exactly where you are, but probably closer to $45 domestically and $50+ internationally.

But wait there's more! If you purchase all of them individually for the low low price of 34.99 they'll each include a randomized character on the sound track sample disc.
Don't touch that dial, because we're about to blow your mind! If you spend an additional $200, you'll receive a Best Bro Figure Blind Box! You'll pull one of the following characters: Mark (dancing crazy, of course), Eikichi (wooooooo!!!!!), Junpei (dude), Yosuke (Totally Not Gay Edition), or Ryuji (broken leg not included)! Swipe that credit card now and receive in 48-no, 72 months. For sure, we promise.

Ninja JaJaMaru: The Great Yokai Battle +Hell – Deluxe Edition -

A compilation of the Ninja JajaMaru games developed by City Connection including:

Ninja JaJaMaru-kun (1985, NES®)

Ninja JaJaMaru’s Big Adventure (1986, NES®)
Ninja JaJaMaru: The Great World Adventure (1990, Game Boy) In Color for the first time.
Ninja JaJaMaru: Operation Milky Way (1991, NES®)
Super Ninja-kid (1994, SNES®)
Ninja JaJaMaru: The Great Yokai Battle +Hell (2020)
:switch: Nintendo Switch $19.99
:ps4: PlayStation 4 $19.99

Root Double -Before Crime After Days- Xtend Edition

Developed by Regista and directed by Ever17 Creator Takumi Nakazawa.
:switch: Nintendo Switch $29.99

Umihara Kawase Bazooka! - Nintendo Switch

From developers Success and Studio Saizensen Ltd.
:switch: Nintendo Switch $14.99

Puzzle Bobble 3D Vacation Odyssey

PS VR Support Included.

PS4 version has PS5 upgrade available.
PlayStation 5 $24.99
:ps4: Playstation 4 $19.99

Bubble Bobble 4 Friends - The Baron Is Back!

Developed by TAITO
:ps4: PlayStation 4 $29.99

RayStorm X RayCrisis HD Collection
Raystorm and RayCrisis together in this compilation.
:ps4: PlayStation 4 $34.99

G-Darius HD
Developed by M2
:ps4: PlayStation 4 $19.99

$35 pre-tax and shipping. Depends on exactly where you are, but probably closer to $45 domestically and $50+ internationally.
Most LRG releases now do usually show up on Amazon for pre-order later, you can save on shipping that way. But you definitely gamble a little more on "actually getting a copy" as it's usually after the LRG pre-order window closes.

Best Buy too.

Whole process is brutal if you're a fan of something and prefer physical.

Digital only -> Time passes, see if you cave and buy it -> A physical copy! Wanna double dip (Pay more and pay shipping) -> Amazon/Best Buy orders can get free shipping, but those show up even later and after the pre-order window.

The thing most people want and we were so used to getting at a game's launch is all the way at the end of the pipeline now.

Most LRG releases now do usually show up on Amazon for pre-order later, you can save on shipping that way. But you definitely gamble a little more on "actually getting a copy" as it's usually after the LRG pre-order window closes.

Best Buy too.

Digital only -> Time passes, see if you cave and buy it -> A physical copy! Wanna double dip (Pay more and pay shipping) -> Amazon/Best Buy orders can get free shipping, but those show up even later and after the pre-order window.

The thing most people want and we were so used to getting at a game's launch is all the way at the end of the pipeline now.
I have a feeling companies sometimes intentionally stagger physical and digital releases to capitalize on this kind of double-dipping scenario, but I have no real evidence for that so I'll put it in my tinfoil hat box for the time being.

Fortunately with VGP distributing LRG titles though, if it really doesn't show up anywhere the premium is pretty palatable. Not like the old days where Vita games would only show up on eBay like 30 minutes after the sale at double the price.

I have a feeling companies sometimes intentionally stagger physical and digital releases to capitalize on this kind of double-dipping scenario, but I have no real evidence for that so I'll put it in my tinfoil hat box for the time being.
It was not so bad with indie games that no one was sure were going to be that great and they ended up turning out great. But major developers/publishers holding games to digital only seems a bit purposeful. They have the means to do a limited print themselves and should be doing that for their major series.

That's a big reason why I've reduced what I'm a major fan of to mostly games that get a retail physical. Yes some things I could end up double dipping on but it's very few series (Dragon Quest, Xenoblade, Zelda). Nearly everything outside of that I'll wait for a deal and if I never get one... fine. Same for games that go digital only at first and change later. It's a race to the bottom and whomever hits a price point that I find acceptable ... I'll make the decision then if I really want it or not.

Looking at my purchases for this year... only Zelda TotK got a full price purchase. Everything else (Octopath 2, Tactics Ogre Reborn, Harvestella, & Advance Wars 1&2) was deals on things I wanted but didn't have in my primary series. had they never had deals, oh well. And for digital, my (I think) only purchase this year beyond Nintendo Online was Star Ocean First Departure when it dropped down to just over $8. I could have passed on it and there is no physical option... but it got cheap enough that I am opting to give it a chance. Will it get promoted and become something I care about physical? Maybe. But we'll cross that bridge later. Same for deciding on Star Ocean Second.. and if it rises to my wait for a physical sale list ... or I hold out for a super cheap digital... that is if I don't just let the series go.

That's a big reason why I've reduced what I'm a major fan of to mostly games that get a retail physical. Yes some things I could end up double dipping on but it's very few series (Dragon Quest, Xenoblade, Zelda). Nearly everything outside of that I'll wait for a deal and if I never get one... fine. Same for games that go digital only at first and change later. It's a race to the bottom and whomever hits a price point that I find acceptable ... I'll make the decision then if I really want it or not.

Looking at my purchases for this year... only Zelda TotK got a full price purchase. Everything else (Octopath 2, Tactics Ogre Reborn, Harvestella, & Advance Wars 1&2) was deals on things I wanted but didn't have in my primary series. had they never had deals, oh well.
Agree with that sentiment, hard.

still laughed at "reduced what I'm a major fan of," hahaha :D/

Again, I just import. The yen tanking is a major discount, so for small stuff, I just grab the Nihon version.

I only ever pay $40 max for Switch games unless they're import/compilations. Like $90 for the Atelier packages, three games at $30 each? No prob.

I do want Atelier Ryza 3, but hasn't had a good sale yet...

I still have too many games, even with my restrictions.

Again, I just import. The yen tanking is a major discount, so for small stuff, I just grab the Nihon version.

I only ever pay $40 max for Switch games unless they're import/compilations. Like $90 for the Atelier packages, three games at $30 each? No prob.

I do want Atelier Ryza 3, but hasn't had a good sale yet...

I still have too many games, even with my restrictions.
Yeah I'll pick up ryza 3 when it gets sub 30 possibly. I've been buying fewer stuff though and trying to work on my backlog instead. Especially with the atelier and trails series since they are quite large and I have many of them in my backlog still.

speaking of I just finished atelier meruru.

Pokemon Scarlet 1/21
Fire Emblem Engage 3/20
The Legend of Heroes Trails From Zero 6/8
Utawarerumono Prelude to the Fallen 8/4
Persona 3 Dancing in the Moonlight 8/5
Bug Fables the Everlasting Sapling 8/28
Atelier Meruru the Apprentice of Arland 9/27

Series ranking wise I'd say I like the cast of rorona better. But meruru has a number of qol improvements over it. I managed to kill almost every super boss but 3 since I ran out of time. Plus the one that isn't doable on a first playthrough.

Having the 2 homs is a huge plus. It sucks that the arena and factory monthly money drops are later unlocks since those would have helped so much more early on. Granted I didn't look up a way to make dosh efficiently.

Probably the hugest help though was having 3 alchemists in the party. Though rorona starts out really useful but drops off towards the end and many bosses are fire resistant hurting totori skill wise.

The reviews are coming in for Infinity Strash: Dragon Quest the Adventure of Dai and they are bad.  Square Enix probably was smart in not releasing it physically in North America.  

The reviews are coming in for Infinity Strash: Dragon Quest the Adventure of Dai and they are bad. Square Enix probably was smart in not releasing it physically in North America.
Yep read/watched some, hyper bummed. It looks visually awesome and would think that the bar is higher for DQ series spin-offs, but NoisyPixel called it one of the worst releases in SquareEnix's library and blessing it with a 4/10.

Said it felt like a mobile game with console paint over the top along with the story being told with still shots from the anime having a thick coat of filters added on-top. Wonder if it was a mobile game they pushed for full cost release?

Yep read/watched some, hyper bummed. It looks visually awesome and would think that the bar is higher for DQ series spin-offs, but NoisyPixel called it one of the worst releases in SquareEnix's library and blessing it with a 4/10.

Said it felt like a mobile game with console paint over the top along with the story being told with still shots from the anime having a thick coat of filters added on-top. Wonder if it was a mobile game they pushed for full cost release?
I saw the reviews, too. I couldn't believe most of the cutscenes are just screenshots from the anime. Apparently, when the game gives you actual in-engine cutscenes, they're awesome, so I wonder if they ran low on money early into production and had to quickly throw together those visual novel segments with the anime stills. Really sucks.

Not going to dig into the why... but I'd imagine it's a deadline issue that they couldn't get everything rendered in time.

As someone that buys everything DQ... I'll probably still buy this but not in a rush to do so.  Maybe it'll get a price cut or someone will import the switch version and flip it to ebay on the cheap.

There’s a fake manga bundle on Humble if anyone’s into that kinda thing. Never heard of any of it.
Me either. I actually really like graphic novels and comics not from Marvel/DC (although they have good series now and then). This just looks like a bunch of generic shounen like "manga." I've bought too many book bundles from them lately, so this will be an easy pass.

Also just curious, but does anyone else have a hard time paying attention to audio novels? I generally do okay with podcasts, but for some reason I really am having a hard time with the new sc-fi classics audio novel bundle. I was listening to the Ringworld first book and just couldn't after about 10 minutes. I then just put on a fantasy football video.

anyone else have a hard time paying attention to audio novels?
I can do them when driving something monotonous but if at home I need to have a comfy space and just close my eyes to really focus on the stories otherwise I'm just going to get lost and need to start over. I used to really enjoy the star wars books on tape back a couple decades ago when tapes were still somewhat common for books and I had a long commute to work. I have some other audio novels digitally that I've wanted to get into... but just don't have the time for and my commute to work is pretty quick.

Me either. I actually really like graphic novels and comics not from Marvel/DC (although they have good series now and then). This just looks like a bunch of generic shounen like "manga." I've bought too many book bundles from them lately, so this will be an easy pass.

Also just curious, but does anyone else have a hard time paying attention to audio novels? I generally do okay with podcasts, but for some reason I really am having a hard time with the new sc-fi classics audio novel bundle. I was listening to the Ringworld first book and just couldn't after about 10 minutes. I then just put on a fantasy football video.
If I were just listening to an audiobook and not doing anything else, I’d go crazy. In a vacuum, if it comes down to listening to an audiobook or reading the book, I have a much easier time focusing on reading the book. I listen to audiobooks when I’m out walking/biking/driving somewhere, or sometimes when I’m playing a game that requires a different kind of attention than me listening to something—a jigsaw puzzle or picross or monster hunter, for example.

So now that it's out, has anyone confirmed whether the Japanese version of Infinity Strash has English? It's about $40 on Amazon Japan compared to $60+ for the SEA variant elsewhere.

I am also still curious about that.  I would rather buy the cheaper Japanese version.  Today I asked playasia if the Japanese PS5 version has English.  They just said the Asian version has English, which didn't answer my question.  The Japanese Nintendo Store says it's multi-language.  So, unless the digital and physical versions are different the Japanese Switch version should be multi language.

Whomever has the rights to LoH:TitS should make Switch ports and sell me a three pack, similar to the Atelier games.
XSeed, currently. And yes, everyone wants this.

I actually think a rerelease might happen eventually based on small hints taken from people who worked on those localizations.

Steam deck, in the meantime, is still a solid option.

Meh at this point I'd only play them if they did a 3 in one pack with lots of qol changes. Going backwards to zero wasn't exactly that fun. I don't think I'd have any patience for the sky trio.

I mean the marketing for it would be so easy........
removing-glasses-wow-meme-3bfd7rlnji7ow1p2.gif

Did they ever fix it? It had tons of bugs on all platforms. It didn’t get great reviews when it released.
I do not know as seemingly no reviews were written after launch. But I figured I would give it a shot since it looked interesting and I'm sad that it's the closest I'll get to a paper mario game.

I would recommend not getting the Outbound Ghost. It is no longer being patched and supposedly has performance issues on all consoles. There is sueing going on from the publisher and developer. I'm guessing the game will come back in a better way eventually, but not touching that release with a ten foot stick.

There are a decent amount of visual novels that were released.

Nekonyan released Secret Agent. There is an 18+ patch for the Steam version.

Steam

18+ Patch (NSFW)

JAST USA have released VenusBlood GAIA International. It is getting review bombed on Steam from the Chinese translation, but I believe is a decent release in English. There is an 18+ patch for this as well.

Steam

18+ Patch (NSFW)

Visual Arts have released Stella of the End.

Steam

Bringing up Trails again, I finished Legend of Nayuta over the weekend and, despite it having a very slow start (super-cliched story, lackluster first couple boss battles, one-dimensional characters), I actually did enjoy it overall, even if my complaints about the plot and characters didn't change much at the end. The gameplay is very fun and engaging, with a satisfying loop involving trying to three-star levels and collect ingredients for cooking and museum donations for profit (bugs, fish, fossils, and artifacts, because someone on the dev team liked Animal Crossing). Learning and mastering both Nayuta and Noi's moves is engaging and helps keep the game's difficulty at a fair level (though no post-hit invincibility leads to a lot of instances of enemies ganging up on you and pushing you off ledges right after respawning from a fall). The soundtrack is also classic Falcom, with serious foot-tappers and earworms.

What I didn't like was just how stock anime the plot was, and how most of the main characters' personalities could be summed up with one or two words (Nayuta: smart, Cygna: big bro, Eartha: nice, Lyra: teenage girl, Noi: fairy). The side characters were actually a bit more interesting, especially the administrators of Terra (and they had really cool fantasy designs), and many characters discussed things that were happening around the world that were way more interesting than the main story (an unnamed Empire being in disarray, the world fighting wars and disease, etc). It was a little disappointing for Falcom, known for its insane storytelling and intricate worldbuilding, to go so basic with this game's narrative and choose to only hint at the overarching politics of the world, and even though the supporting cast was interesting and the dialogue was engaging and more on-brand for Falcom, this shortcoming definitely asserts that this is a Trails/Kiseki game just to boost its sales and it doesn't really borrow anything from that larger series. Lots of people have stated this was probably meant to be Zwei 3 (I've never played the Zwei games, but apparently the combat and food giving experience are systems directly from that series), and yeah, I can see Falcom changing the name last minute to ensure its success.

Overall, 7/10. I almost didn't do the postgame, but went back to it and was glad I did. Won't do new game plus, though. Oh, and the final boss was a major letdown, both in who it was and how the battle was fought. Fun game, but it kind of fizzled out right in the finale. Reminded me of the series finale to Star Trek Voyager, and that's all I'll say to avoid spoilers.

Nayutas a side game for asset flipping from what I've heard so that isn't too surprising. My understanding was they also use them for training and to make occasionally new things they came up with that can be used down the line.

I started lost Odyssey. I feel like someone could die of alcohol poisoning if they swig every time someone says "grand staff" in this.

I started lost Odyssey. I feel like someone could die of alcohol poisoning if they swig every time someone says "grand staff" in this.
Hopefully the game hits its stride for you. I fucking loved Lost Odyssey. This was one game Xbox exclusive that needed to make it's way to the PS ecosystem- would have sold much better in Japan and prob the US too.

Oh man, so many good memories of Lost Odyssey--excellent writing, lovable (and mildly annoying in the case of two specific) characters, fun gameplay, well-done voice-acting, and amazing music. And the final boss music slaps.

Lost Odyssey's writing is incredible, especially the Thousand Years of Dreams side stories. It's one of those games you wish you could experience again for the first time.

Mistwalker in general just makes excellent games (not surprising since it was founded by Sakaguchi). It's a tragedy that they've been stuck in the mobile market for a decade.

Sounds like I need to play LO. Been backlogged for a decade. Is digital / backward compatible on xbox console still the best way?
It's BC on the Xbone but I don't think it offered any technical benefits. LO had some super long load times before each battle (and long load times in general) that were made bearable only because of the 360's eventual addition of the "install disc" option or whatever that copied disc data to the hard drive for faster load times. I'm not sure those load times/install option are available on the Xbone.

EDIT* I should mention my experiences were all with the disc copy, can't speak for digital copy.

EDIT2* I guess it does run better, forgot how much lag/slowdown the original had.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdrLbJQz7BE

Hopefully the game hits its stride for you. I fucking loved Lost Odyssey. This was one game Xbox exclusive that needed to make it's way to the PS ecosystem- would have sold much better in Japan and prob the US too.
I'm enjoying it so far but much like blue dragon it has a lot of items to find scattered around. Thankfully not exactly like nothings.

The dreams sequence is super depressing though outside of the returning mother. And maybe prerty little liar since that one possibly has a happy ending. I'm taking a break after playing for 2 hours iirc then I can get to do the first dungeon or whatever the mountain is.

bread's done
Back