Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
https://www.ign.com/articles/baldurs-gate-3s-japan-release-to-censor-nudity-some-torture

Need to get the word out. The Japanese release of Baldur’s Gate 3 will be censored. I know some were planning on buying it since it was a physical. Nudity and torture are getting censored.
It's a very strange move for Japan, and especially so if it has to do with Sony Japan. It's the Zero (adult/M-rated equivalent) rated release, after all. In the past, games like Lollipop Chainsaw saw separate rated releases with the Zero rated version keeping the original content. Weird that even the Zero rated copy is being released this way.

Oh well. Will have to wait for the (inevitable) LRG release ...

Yes, there's an Asian English release. I'm waiting on my copy from Play Asia.
I got an email this morning from Play Asia saying the multi-language cover of Like a Dragon Gaiden is actually in Chinese. They offered a few options, including full refunds. That's a bummer though.

I wonder if there's an English cover at all. I had this happen with Play Asia with Klonoa last year (which they also did a full refund of), but there is an English cover of that game and I got the Asian English version somewhere else.

It's a very strange move for Japan, and especially so if it has to do with Sony Japan. It's the Zero (adult/M-rated equivalent) rated release, after all. In the past, games like Lollipop Chainsaw saw separate rated releases with the Zero rated version keeping the original content. Weird that even the Zero rated copy is being released this way.

Oh well. Will have to wait for the (inevitable) LRG release ...
It is normal for Japan. Last of Us Part II Z rating is censored.

It's not consistently applied. Again, Lollipop Chainsaw and Killer is Dead weren't censored on their Z versions.
Who actually decides what to censor? Isn't it the publisher and/or developer? Meaning some might not care as much as others? Or is there some government agency that makes those calls?

Who actually decides what to censor? Isn't it the publisher and/or developer? Meaning some might not care as much as others? Or is there some government agency that makes those calls?
The CERO rating board. Z version of every Resident Evil is censored as decapitation is a big no no in Japan.

Ugg Gamestop got me some cheap prices for some games. Never again. This is my last buy from Gamestop. Got a certified pre-owned Taiko no Tasujin Rhythm Festival even has 50%off on the title in a generic case. So NEW!

Ugg Gamestop got me some cheap prices for some games. Never again. This is my last buy from Gamestop. Got a certified pre-owned Taiko no Tasujin Rhythm Festival even has 50%off on the title in a generic case. So NEW!
o7

At least you can return in store if you have one near you, presumably. I always have to ask myself if I want to make a trip to one after my order arrives when I weigh the decision of ordering something.

I noticed they have Neptunia Sisters vs Sisters on PS5 for (NEW?) for $25

https://www.gamestop.com/video-games/products/neptunia-sisters-vs-sisters---playstation-5/351427.html

It has Switch and Xbox versions coming in the future.

Strangely, the Switch version seems to have 'sports swimsuits' exclusive to the digital deluxe version

While Xbox has the swimsuits for all versions, but two characters that are playable in the Switch version are only support characters in the Xbox version:

https://www.siliconera.com/neptunia-sisters-vs-sisters-switch-release-date-set-swimsuits-shown/

I did the 4 for $40 deal x2 for free shipping and ended up with 5 missing case art. Weren't even that old of games, all XB1/PS4. Ended up exchanging out Streets of Rage 4 for the Anniversary Edition in store and got a $1 back in cash with my $5 monthly coupon though. Was already going to the store for the Zelda amiibos ($5 off store pick up).

I got an email this morning from Play Asia saying the multi-language cover of Like a Dragon Gaiden is actually in Chinese. They offered a few options, including full refunds. That's a bummer though.

I wonder if there's an English cover at all. I had this happen with Play Asia with Klonoa last year (which they also did a full refund of), but there is an English cover of that game and I got the Asian English version somewhere else.
I ended up cancelling my entire order, and Play Asia was quick with a full refund (I chose to have them put it in my wallet, as I used most of it for a new order right away). Now to find a decent price on the actual English/R3 cover for 'Like a Dragon Gaiden.'

I did the 4 for $40 deal x2 for free shipping and ended up with 5 missing case art. Weren't even that old of games, all XB1/PS4. Ended up exchanging out Streets of Rage 4 for the Anniversary Edition in store and got a $1 back in cash with my $5 monthly coupon though. Was already going to the store for the Zelda amiibos ($5 off store pick up).
I am likely going to return my drum master game today. Just waiting for my Neptunia Sisters to arrive to see if it's decent. Mainly got cheaper niche games in these sales, so I'll play them, but yeah Gamestop NEW is a joke most times. Gamestop used is usually a joke too. Was happy to get Clive & Wrench and Aegis whatever Animu game for cheap. I wouldn't pay full price for them likely haha.

No way that's a human voice, possibly one of the worse ai voice I've ever heard.
About that...it's not AI
522a694efe9d3c8521d859584a86c29d.jpg

Sent from my SM-N970U1 using Tapatalk

I actually like Yong Yea since he has a very good Youtube voice (calm, articulate, no annoying accent or speech impediment) and I watch his videos to get caught up on any game controversies. He does have a great voice for VA and he should keep at it. With all that said, he has been horribly miscast here and I feel bad for all the hate he's getting. He's doing his best at this voice and is clearly super-stoked for the role, and I really think the blame for this falls squarely on Sega. He should not have been cast to play a 50+ year old man who already has an incredibly recognizable and beloved Japanese VA. I really hope this doesn't discourage him from trying to pursue more prolific roles, since he has the talent to go far in the industry. He just needs the right roles.

He should not have been cast to play a 50+ year old man who already has an incredibly recognizable and beloved Japanese VA.
I think this is the biggest thing. Even before the series starting doing English dubs, Kiryu's Japanese voice/performance is a large part of what makes Kiryu, Kiryu. I started the series with only the Japanese dub, and I can't see myself switching to English mainly for this reason.

Eh, it's not Arc Rise Fantasia levels of bad. Given the series' legacy I don't know how many people are playing Like a Dragon in English anyway. Even the VA seems to acknowledge it's a bit weird:

https://twitter.com/YongYea/status/1722334321225461820

Ultimately, it makes the series more accessible to people who do care about dubs and as long as they continue offering dual-audio you can just choose to ignore it. So even though I'm not a fan of it, I'm not really not bothered about the situation.

Eh, it's not Arc Rise Fantasia levels of bad. Given the series' legacy I don't know how many people are playing Like a Dragon in English anyway. Even the VA seems to acknowledge it's a bit weird:

https://twitter.com/YongYea/status/1722334321225461820

Ultimately, it makes the series more accessible to people who do care about dubs and as long as they continue offering dual-audio you can just choose to ignore it. So even though I'm not a fan of it, I'm not really not bothered about the situation.
I had to look this up, god damn this shit is funny- I lost it at #2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zygDzAkothQ

YongYea was really good in Stone Ocean and Yakuza LAD had a great dub so hearing Kiryu sound off is a bit of a shame. I will probably check it out more when the full game comes out. 

Preorders are up for TSUKIHIME: A piece of blue glass moon: Limited Edition PS4/Switch at amazon and bestbuy.  I guess there isn't going to be a standard edition just like Witch on the Holy Night.

I completely forgot about Arc Rise Fantasia.  I beat that game a long time ago, I had the honor of listening to that dub.

Bandai just put it's typical holiday sale for it's collector's editions up on their website. 

While the prices aren't amazing for the games (they're similar to digital price and more than physical sale prices in most cases), they're actually good if you want the collector's edition: 

Pac-Man World Re-Pac is $20 for all platforms, and comes with a black chrome Chogokin. (Which sells for $40-50 by itself on ebay). 
Dragon Ball: The Breakers is $20 for all platforms and comes with a Cell Shell figurine (Which again sells for around $50 on ebay). 
One Piece Odyssey is $30 for all platforms  (and Steam!), which isn't bad, given that the all time low for the Steam version is $20. 
There don't seem to be many sales on the statue, though. 

The only downside here is that shipping from Bandai's website is going to be a minimum of $15,  but if you happen to want a few of them, the shipping doesn't spike hugely (I picked up 5 items, and the shipping only went up to $20)

Again, mediocre deal if you just want the games,  but I've been wanting that Pac-Man mech for a while, so it's pretty decent sale. 

Speaking of Bandai, anyone deal with their CS on returns? I ordered DBZ The Breakers on NS and they sent me the disc version SB case. 

Reminder: these are the last few minutes you can order Persona 3 P3P on PS4 / Vita from LimitedRunGames.

I didn't want to do it, but I'm not going to miss out on owning these games.  I thought I was going to order the grimoire editions and bite the bullet.   But ~$163 for both Switch and PS4 versions to only get a steelbook is just too much.  I never pay for expensive steelbooks like that anymore.  So I just ordered the standard edition of P3P on both Switch and PS4.  Seemed like the wisest way to go.  I'm going to get a pair of slipboxes when I order the P4 pair next month anyways.  That should be good enough. 

Speaking of Bandai, anyone deal with their CS on returns? I ordered DBZ The Breakers on NS and they sent me the disc version SB case.
There is no Switch sized Steelbook case for DBZ The Breakers. It sounds wrong, but that's the way Bamco released it.

The top of playasias site says, "FREE WORLDWIDE DELIVERY when spending over US$ 49.99 on select items!".
Yep, they made an announcement in their Discord and Twitter: https://twitter.com/playasia/status/1724093918487437528

Usually the threshold is $99, so it might be a nice break if you just want one game.

I just did a PA order the other week for Drainus, Triggerheart Excelica, and Dreamer Double-D Collection (LE).  Also got an order in the mail for Devi Engine, Sword of the Vagrant, and Trouble Witches right now.

Oh shit, I hope there's a physical release... LRG or whoever, I don't care. Loved it back in the day and played it again like 3-4 years ago and still loved it.
There was already the HD Collection for Switch, so unless the rights-holder decides to port that to PS4/5, I think that's all we'll have.

The only Sony first party games LRG released were the Jak games, and that was due to Naughty Dogs.  They haven't done anything else with Sony.

however, the voice actor for Koromaru killed it.
Are...are they really having a person voice Koro-chan and not just using dog noises? Because it sounds ridiculous. One of my biggest pet peeves in media is when they get a person to voice an animal (unless of course it's a talking animal). It never sounds right.

I'm assuming that's the joke here, but just no. That's going to be so obnoxious.

bread's done
Back