Japanese Universities?

y2kenjination

CAGiversary!
Feedback
18 (100%)
Alright, well here's the story...I attended a local community college for two years, and received my AA degree in June. I sent in my transfer application to the University of Washington, and I'll know if I got accepted or not by next month. I've already taken around 4 years of Japanese in high school and college. While I know a fair amount, I'm nowhere near fluent, and my kanji skills are still very weak. However, my plan is to major in Japanese at the UW, and hopefully do an exchange program while I'm attending. After I get my Bachelors degree, I'd like to do the JET program right after (or a similar program), then settle in Japan with a teaching /translating career. However, let's say I don't get accepted. There's really no other Universities that I'd like to attend in this state...or in this country for that matter. My parents told me that they're not interested in paying for out of state tuition, and don't like the idea of me moving out...so my choices are pretty limited. However, they didn't object to the idea of me studying overseas...even though it probably would cost more (strange, I know). So I was thinking of transferring to a college in Japan as an exchange student, and get my BA that way.

Now my question is: would any of you happen to know some Japanese Universities that offers exchange programs? Preferably ones that don't require you to transfer from a University in the US or some BS like that. I already know about ICU and Sophia, so those are two options...but I'd like to apply at several Universities. I thought I'd ask some of you guys instead of trying to google for shady colleges. Any information such as tuition and dorm costs, or possible scholarships that I can try applying for would be greatly appreciated. Input is also welcome. Would any exchange programs happen to put you with a host family?

Thanks in advance!

[quote name='y2kenjination']Any information such as tuition and dorm costs, or possible scholarships that I can try applying for would be greatly appreciated.[/QUOTE]

look it up yourself.
you will have to be a big boy if you want to go to college.

AA degree? Alcaholics anonymous degree?

Though two problems. One, it's probably not a good idea to plan your college future around moving to a country and culture you haven't been exposed to, especially one not known for its tolerance to foreigners. But, that aside, you're not fluent in the language. How do you expect to do well in a japanese language environment if you can't speak and read at a high level?

edit: Also, just wondering, why do you want to move there? A lot of younger people like it because of anime, video games and other pop culture. If that's why you like the culture so much, do you think you're gonna feel that way 10, 20 or 30 years down the road?

Sorry I don't know the answer, but I don't know how good of an idea it is to move to a foreign country for school that you're not all that familar with. Have you ever been there before? It will probably will be very expensive, especially since you're from out of country.

If you want to study there, I would go to a university here first and study more Japanese, maybe take a vacation there over the summer, and if you like it, get with the exchange program for that school. They'll set you up and you can study there for cheaper than just going there by yourself.

Oh also I just noticed you're a transfer student. I bet you'll have a hell of a time transferring your credits over, if they even accept them at all. I went through the CA CC system with the CSU transfer pattern, got an AA, and transfered this fall to a CSU, and there was still a lot of problems with getting everything over correctly. I can just imagine how it is for another COUNTRY.

Anyway just a suggestion, I'm sure if you really, really want to you can pull it off. I just think doing it through an US university would be much easier.

After I get my Bachelors degree, I'd like to do the JET program right after (or a similar program)

i'm pretty sure a lot of those programs want you to not have any prior exposure to the language. check out the Jet website

edit: nevermind, the only exemption is if you have been there for an extended period before.

[quote name='Apossum']i'm pretty sure a lot of those programs want you to not have any prior exposure to the language. check out the Jet website[/QUOTE]

I have a friend in Kyoto who is vastly superior to me with the language, and he had no problems. Maybe he lied about it, I dunno.

Either way, I'm with alonzo here; perhaps you could enjoy a few years of glomming young joshi and spending all your money in akihabara; it's a fucking dream. But when you're 40? Helllllloooo henna otoko!

[quote name='mykevermin']I have a friend in Kyoto who is vastly superior to me with the language, and he had no problems. Maybe he lied about it, I dunno.

Either way, I'm with alonzo here; perhaps you could enjoy a few years of glomming young joshi and spending all your money in akihabara; it's a fucking dream. But when you're 40? Helllllloooo henna otoko![/QUOTE]

nah, I was wrong. guess they don't want anyone who has already been there for an extended period of time.

[quote name='alonzomourning23']AA degree? Alcaholics anonymous degree?

Though two problems. One, it's probably not a good idea to plan your college future around moving to a country and culture you haven't been exposed to, especially one not known for its tolerance to foreigners. But, that aside, you're not fluent in the language. How do you expect to do well in a japanese language environment if you can't speak and read at a high level?

edit: Also, just wondering, why do you want to move there? A lot of younger people like it because of anime, video games and other pop culture. If that's why you like the culture so much, do you think you're gonna feel that way 10, 20 or 30 years down the road?[/QUOTE]
Sorry for the late reply.

Actually, I've been to Japan 5 times already. Stayed for about 2 months in the summer of 2004 to teach a bunch of campers English. I've stayed in the country long enough to the point where I know I'd like to live there for the rest of my life. It's been my goal since 1999. I'm not fluent in the language, which is why I was asking for exchange programs. There are Universities in Japan that have special programs for International students, at least from what I've heard.

I'm well aware of Japan's tolerance to foreigners. However, I'm Korean American, so I feel that I might be able to blend in. Some might look at this as a disadvantage, because of the history between Korea and Japan, but I haven't had any problems after staying in the country for about 6 months total. The two countries have improved their relations over the past couple of years, so I continue to be optimistic.

I'd be lying if I said that I don't want to move to Japan because of the pop culture, anime, and video games. That's actually one of the main reasons. Since a lot of my hobbies revolve around Japan, I'd be close to everything I like. But don't get me wrong here-- I'm FAR from being an Otaku or a Japanophile. I'm not one of those people that whines about wanting to move to Japan because I want a Japanese girlfriend. I actually know how to dress in public, and I'm not anti-social. xD

There are other reasons too, of course...I absolutely love Tokyo. I'm quite the city boy, and enjoy the urban atmosphere. My future also lies in Japan, since I plan on getting a Japanese major. I can either do some translating work, or teach English and Korean. Plus, I'd be right next to Korea. It would make it a lot easier, faster, and cheaper to visit Korea compared to the states.

[quote name='y2kenjination']Sorry for the late reply.

Actually, I've been to Japan 5 times already. Stayed for about 2 months in the summer of 2004 to teach a bunch of campers English. I've stayed in the country long enough to the point where I know I'd like to live there for the rest of my life. It's been my goal since 1999. I'm not fluent in the language, which is why I was asking for exchange programs. There are Universities in Japan that have special programs for International students, at least from what I've heard.

I'm well aware of Japan's tolerance to foreigners. However, I'm Korean American, so I feel that I might be able to blend in. Some might look at this as a disadvantage, because of the history between Korea and Japan, but I haven't had any problems after staying in the country for about 6 months total. The two countries have improved their relations over the past couple of years, so I continue to be optimistic.

I'd be lying if I said that I don't want to move to Japan because of the pop culture, anime, and video games. That's actually one of the main reasons. Since a lot of my hobbies revolve around Japan, I'd be close to everything I like. But don't get me wrong here-- I'm FAR from being an Otaku or a Japanophile. I'm not one of those people that whines about wanting to move to Japan because I want a Japanese girlfriend. I actually know how to dress in public, and I'm not anti-social. xD

There are other reasons too, of course...I absolutely love Tokyo. I'm quite the city boy, and enjoy the urban atmosphere. My future also lies in Japan, since I plan on getting a Japanese major. I can either do some translating work, or teach English and Korean. Plus, I'd be right next to Korea. It would make it a lot easier, faster, and cheaper to visit Korea compared to the states.[/QUOTE]

Well at least there's something more than just pop culture there, that seems to be the only reason I ever hear. My thing is it just seems like you are banking on enjoying japan for the rest of your life, and the skill your learning in college only seems to transfer to a limited number of environments (compared to most other majors, like dentistry, psychiatry etc.). I'd just be hesitant to plan my future based on my current pop culture interests, which at least you do have some other reasons.

But, what exactly is an AA degree?

AA degree= Associate of Arts degree. It's the degree you receive once you finish two years in community college. It's pretty useful when you're trying to transfer over to a University...at least in Washington state.

im actually taking a japanese class at my college. lemme ask her abt it but i dont have another class until wed(1 day a wk). She came from there and grad from there so maybe she can give you some lime light.

bread's done
Back