Jebus McCripes - Another Recommend Me Some Anime Thread!?!

peteloaf

CAGiversary!
Feedback
59 (100%)
I know, this is the 1 billionth time this threads been started, but damn it I wanted my own!

Anyway I was into anime way back when it was on a local tv station on saturday nights (late 80's early 90's), then I kinda fell out and I want to get back in. I definatly prefer movies to series, but I'll give a series a try. Also I realy enjoy the dark & shitty future genre.

Here's what I've liked:
Akira - my favorite anime and in my top 3 favorite movies
Jin-Roh
Metropolis
Vampire Hunter D & Bloodlust
Big O
Cowboy Bebop (Until Cartoon Network Played it a million times in a row)
Sorcerer Hunters

What I don't like:
Dragon Ball Z - I realy tried on this one, I enjoyed Dragon Ball, but man I can't stand this
Inuyasha - I've seen the first 15 or so episodes, and it didn't work for me
Naruto - I just don't get it
Full Metal Alchamist - I just don't get it
Samurai Champloo - Hip-Hop + Feudal Japan = Crap, in my book
Ghost In The Shell - Just didn't do anything for me

I could go on with my likes and dislikes, but I figured I'd turn it over to y'all now.

thanks
peteloaf

[quote name='peteloaf']What's the deal with this one?[/QUOTE]

It's been a while since I've seen it buuuuut...

There's two warring factions. One uber-hot girl (Madlax) is hired to assassinate, destroy, and cause general mayhem by one faction. Then there's this creepy rich girl with no parents, but she seems to have a psychological connection to Madlax.

It's a good'un. Besides, Madlax's assault rifle of choice is the FAMAS "Clarion". It doesn't get any better than that. ;)

[quote name='peteloaf']What's the deal with this one?[/QUOTE]
Slow and uninteresting, with a killer soundtrack.

Read or Die and R.O.D The TV, Monster, Perfect Blue, anything by Miyazaki, and Now & Then, Here & There.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']Slow and uninteresting, with a killer soundtrack.

Read or Die and R.O.D The TV, Monster, Perfect Blue, anything by Miyazaki, and Now & Then, Here & There.[/QUOTE]

I've seen Perfect Blue, that was a great movie. (I forgot to put it on my list of likes)

I keep saying it, and I will continue to say it. Saikano!! Such an amazing show. You seem to have very similar taste to me, so I highly suggest you check it out.

Saishu Heiki Kanojo (commonly shortened to Saikano) or She, the Ultimate Weapon

A story about a high school couple, Shuji and Chise, that have just started dating. One day when Shuji witnesses a city being bombed he sees a new weapon wipe out all the enemy planes. When he goes to investigate he sees that the new weapon is actually his girlfriend.

The show deals with their relationship as they try to keep it normal while also dealing with the escalating war going on around them. Whenever I recommend this show I always make sure to warn people that it is extremely depressing. There are very few moments of happiness. So if you don't like to be sad, stay far away from this one. I've seen a lot of sad stories, and nothing has made me cry like this show has. At the same time it still is able to convey a very powerful message about the power of love.

So if you like love stories or just plain good ones, and can handle a lot of depression, you owe it to yourself to check this series out.

Info:
TV series, 13 episodes, 4 DVDs
Manga also available. 7 volumes.

B00019PDLQ.jpg

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']Slow and uninteresting, with a killer soundtrack.

Read or Die and R.O.D The TV, Monster, Perfect Blue, anything by Miyazaki, and Now & Then, Here & There.[/QUOTE]I second all of these.

I also suggest:
Full Metal Panic!
Full Metal Panic!: The Second Raid (the second season of FMP)
Full Metal Panic?: Fummofu (A hilarious side series of FMP, has nothing to do with the story)
Planetes
Saikano
Cowboy Bebop: Knocking on Heaven's Door (you mentioned the series in your list, not the movie)
FLCL
Millenium Actress

My recommendations are the medievel series Berserk (deals with some dark themes and is pretty graphic FYI) and the gangster noirish series Gungrave.

My interest in Berserk was piqued by the Dreamcast game Sword of the Berserk, it was very violent and quite fun. Once I learned it was based on a Manga, I was intruiged, when I learned they produced one season based on the Manga, I eagerly awaited each release of the volumes to the US to rent and eventually purchased the season box set. The series follows the rise of a mercenary group named "The Band of the Hawk" as they gain power and prestiege during medieval times. It is a little "speechy" I guess you could say at times near the end of a few episodes, and it takes some shocking turns near the end of the series (to that end be very careful about spoilers if you google it, I don't imagine the series would be quite the same if you knew what is coming)

Gungrave chronicles the rise of two street punks to the head of a powerful organized crime syndicate with a bit of a sci-fi twist. Don't judge the series by the first episode, once you are passed the first episode, it is pure gold till about the 3/4ths mark then the quality dips a bit, but is still excellent. The series transcends it's humble origins as a video game by leaps and bounds. It has a bit of a noir touch to it as well.

Both are a season long and both are excellent IMHO.

Movies/OAVs:

Macross Plus
Blue Sub No. 6
Golgo 13
Memories
Patlabor
Appleseed (maybe)
Ruin Explorers
Avenger
Spriggan
Wings of Honneamise
The Place Promised in Out Early Days

Series:

Gungrave
Evangelion (maybe)
Outlaw Star
Angel Links
Noir
Dai-Guard
Blue Gender
Fafner (some people dislike this one intensely for some reason)
Gasaraki
Silent Mobius
Vampire Princess Miyu (I'm not a fan but maybe)
Record of Lodoss War
Texhnolyze (maybe)
Nadesico
Ninja Scroll
Samurai 7
Sol Bianca
Yugo the Negotiator (maybe)

[quote name='guardian_owl']

Gungrave chronicles the rise of two street punks to the head of a powerful organized crime syndicate with a bit of a sci-fi twist. Don't judge the series by the first episode...[/quote]

True, in the past I've told some people to just skip the first episode and start watching it at episode 2. They recap basically the entire 1st episode anyhow later in the series so you don't even miss anything by doing so.

Thanks for all the great suggestions! I'll be checking these out soon. Does anybody know how Netflix's selection on anime is?

Before I really got bored with Anime, the series that I liked a lot were:

TV
-Gundam W
-Full Metal Panic
-Serial Experiments: Lain
-Trigun
-Hellsing
-Gundam 0079 movies
-Escaflowne
-Berserk
-Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex (only seen half of it, so far, however)
-Evangelion (a love-hate relationship was built on this show. The whole show appears to go to shit in the last 4-6 episodes, and the movies that were released afterwards to make up for them are just as bad. The show tries to be deep, while being quite shallow, and the anime geek pseudo-intellectuals like to pick up on that as well...and be annoying. However, evangelion worship and pseudo-intellectual banter on the subject has decreased quite a bit since i picked up on it 5, or so years ago, so I think I can like it unabashed now:lol: )

OVA
-Tenchi Muyo
-Kite and Mezzo Forte (if you like some sex with your ultra violence)
-Dragon Half
-Black Magic M66

Movies
-Nausicaa of the valley of the wind (Best Miyazaki/Ghibli film)
-Ninja Scroll (more sex with your violence)
-Gundam 0079 Movies

[quote name='peteloaf']Thanks for all the great suggestions! I'll be checking these out soon. Does anybody know how Netflix's selection on anime is?[/QUOTE]

Netflix isn't bad but if you're lookin' for more obscure stuff (as well as Asian cinema in general) try greencine.com.

Elfen Lied! very insane series with an odd story and lots of insane action. the relationships between the characters are very interesting and make for some great dynamics, even when the story lags a bit.

also, FLCL and Spirited Away is a must-see, as well as Princess Mononoke.

the original Ghost In the Shell movie. I'm assuming you saw the series.. I highly recommend the movie, even if you didn't like the series. it's straight forward, less talking(can't stand the conversation in SAC), but with a better story overall and some good action. It was made around the same time as Akira, when anime wasn't as contaminated with campy crap.

[quote name='peteloaf']Thanks for all the great suggestions! I'll be checking these out soon. Does anybody know how Netflix's selection on anime is?[/QUOTE]
Every anime I have ever wanted to check out has been available from Netflix.

About the only thing Netflix doesn't typically carry are really obscure movies, most rare oop movies, or double dips of films.

*at a slight loss for reccomendations to someone who hates her beloved FMA*

Umm... perhaps Noir? Or Shadow Star Narutaru?

Noir is by the same people who did Madlax, and at inital glance seems to run many parallels with it. (I haven't seen Madlax, so I can't say how similar they really are.) Basically, a female assasin meets weird Japanese girl with no memories except of how to kill, and some vague knowledge of said female assasin. The two pair up as the killer-for-hire 'Noir' and begin to unravel how their past intertwines.

Narutaru has a very cutesy setup- girl makes friends with an adorable squishy-looking star-shaped creature. Then people start dying and things turn decidedly un-cute as girl learns just what's up with her new friend. (I can't comment on the ending, I've only got the first 4 discs.) This strikes me as a good one for Eva fans to try out, as both series features some very screwed-up children. :bouncy:

[quote name='DuelLadyS']Umm... perhaps Noir?[/QUOTE]
Ugh. Noir is terrible. That show was the beginning of the end for me. After watching Noir, it was hard to stomach more anime.

Urotsukidoji: Legend of the Overfiend.

there've been some good picks (Planetes = highly recommended), but not a single one of you recommended the original Bubblegum Crisis series. and you call yourselves fans... psssh.

[quote name='ZR0 Limit']Urotsukidoji: Legend of the Overfiend.[/QUOTE]

Whoo, boy I've seen parts of this one - I don't quite know if tentacle peni are what I'm looking for...

NO! it's a pure love story...

and i still highly-recommend Bubblegum Crisis. the original 8-episode series. the tv series (BGC Tokyo 2040) is good in it's own right, but the original is the one to look for.

Thanks everybody! I just join netflix and filled my list with your recommendations! I'll let everybody know what I think as I watch them.

[quote name='peteloaf']Thanks everybody! I just join netflix and filled my list with your recommendations! I'll let everybody know what I think as I watch them.[/QUOTE]
What are ya checking out first?

[quote name='ZR0 Limit']Urotsukidoji: Legend of the Overfiend.

there've been some good picks (Planetes = highly recommended), but not a single one of you recommended the original Bubblegum Crisis series. and you call yourselves fans... psssh.[/QUOTE]
I didn't suggest Bubblegum Crisis *because* I'm a fan. Bleh.

Urotsukidoji is awful. Why are you trying to trick him with this swill?!

Urotsukidoji is the stuff of legend. it's about one man's undying, pure, and eternal love for a girl, and then ultimately the whole world. his passion comes at the expense of pretty much everyone, but it's a small price to pay when you're trying to make the world a utopia. besides, he already knows enough to stay away from it. but imagine the hilarity that would've ensued had he not! Urosukidoji should always be the first recommendation for people just getting into anime.

and Bubblegum Crisis > *

Goldenboy is also worth checking out for a quick, perverse, comedic romp. and Record of Lodoss War, and Planetes (again) are also good selections. the Vision of Escaflowne is also tops, but if you're looking for more action, then maybe the movie over the series.

I second Appleseed. I have the CG remake and was blown away by the visuals. I don't know if the story was changed from the original, but it was still damn cool.

bread's done
Back