Jeff Gerttsman let go from gamespot?

die138

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
http://kotaku.com/gaming/rumor/gamespot-editor-fired-over-kane--lynch-review-328244.php

It was allegedly over his Kane & Lynch review. He gave it a low score and EIDOS, the publisher, has an ad campaign with them.

from kotaku:

Our efforts to confirm the story with Gamespot hasn't proved successful. Our current requests with PR, Gerstmann and other CNet contacts have either gone unanswered or yielded a "no comment."

Wow. That says a lot.

Wow, if that's true... who the fuck does Gamespot have left? Jason Ocampo and...? Is Brad Shoemaker still there? Seemingly all of the halfway decent people over at Gamespot have left in the last year or two.

This would destroy their credibility. Probably not true, and just a rumor Kotaku made up to get hits for their site. Any schlub can see "Low score, but they advertise all over the site", and come up with this rumor.

I didn't like that fat slob so if its true i won't lose any sleep over it because of his ridiculous scorees like with Zelda TP

I understood he gave Zelda OOT a perfect score, but like...how could anyone not. it was such an incredible game.

but it wouldn't be the first time the reviews of something didn't reflect an ad campaign. they had Blacksite Area 51 plastered all over the site yet it got 6.5ed...it's true though, it is basically a generic FPS overshadowed by tons of other great ones

Some food for thought:

Here's the Penny Arcade comic that was posted yesterday.

20071129.jpg

Also, his video review was pulled from the main K&L page, but you can still see it here- http://www.gamespot.com/pages/video_player/popup.php?sid=6182850&pid=934403

[quote name='TheRookieMonster']I didn't like that fat slob so if its true i won't lose any sleep over it because of his ridiculous scorees like with Zelda TP

I understood he gave Zelda OOT a perfect score, but like...how could anyone not. it was such an incredible game.

but it wouldn't be the first time the reviews of something didn't reflect an ad campaign. they had Blacksite Area 51 plastered all over the site yet it got 6.5ed...it's true though, it is basically a generic FPS overshadowed by tons of other great ones[/QUOTE]
He was actually closer to how I felt with TP than other reviews. I don't really see the need for the insane outrage that people had over an 8.8. So what, it's his opinion. For the record, they gave Valkyrie Profile PS1 a 6.4, then bunped it up to a 7.0 at a later date. That game is awesome.

I can't remember who on what site said it, but they mentioned that their reviews were fact. If they said a game sucked, it sucked. They forgot, along with lots of people, that reviews are opinion, not fact.

I was pretty unhappy initially with his Zelda:TP review, but as I played through the game I began to see the reasoning for his score. I agree, GS will be out for me if this story is true.

That and I hate the fact they went to the .5 scores.

[quote name='SNAKE EYES EX']I just cancelled my GS subscription. CNET as an organization is horrible, but I enjoyed Gamespot.[/quote]

lmao...anarchy ensues...

Here is the offical staement from gamespot...

It is CNET Networks company policy to never comment on individual employees current or former regarding their job status. This policy is in place out of respect for the individuals privacy.
They also pulled the Video review so if anyone has a copy Youtube it(perferiably put it on an independ side so it isn't deleted as copyrighted content).

Jeff Gerttsman was one of the few reviews with the balls to tell people what he thought of a game. As far as I'm concerned he was one of the best reviews out there. This story is not just about pressure from Eidos, but pressure from other companies as well.

fuck you Nintendo Fanyboy's. I've seen a ton of shit on the WEB saying "ThATS WHAT u GET 4Z 8.8".

fuck you.

We should just rate all games like this:

ZELDA: 11/10
MARIO: 17/10
ANYSHIT NINTENDO MAKES: 100000/2
HALO: 10/10 or 2/10 ( there seems to be no between( I personally like Halo))

If Mario is Missing was remade for the Wii people would demand high scores. Gertsman had the balls and integrity to rate all games the same way.

The industry is starting to turn into NINTENDO POWER of yesterday with every crappy game getting good scores because PR people paid the company off for the high review.

[quote name='F8X']Here is the offical staement from gamespot...

They also pulled the Video review so if anyone has a copy Youtube it(perferiably put it on an independ side so it isn't deleted as copyrighted content).

Jeff Gerttsman was one of the few reviews with the balls to tell people what he thought of a game. As far as I'm concerned he was one of the best reviews out there. This story is not just about pressure from Eidos, but pressure from other companies as well.

fuck you Nintendo Fanyboy's. I've seen a ton of shit on the WEB saying "ThATS WHAT u GET 4Z 8.8".

fuck you.

If Mario is Missing was remade for the Wii people would demand high scores. Gertsman had the balls and integrity to rate all games the same way.

The industry is starting to turn into NINTENDO POWER of yesterday with every crappy game getting good scores because PR people paid the company off for the high review.[/quote]

followed by a tall glass of wtf??

I really doubt this rumor. The truth is ...its not uncommon for companies to lay off people in December. This is to meet their budgets.

Yeah - not happy about this if it turns out to be true. I always got the impression that Gamespot had more integrity and maturity than the other mainstream gaming sites out there. Now, not so much...

And to people looking for the video review, as of a little while ago, you could still see it via gamespot's UK site. It was definitely really negative in tone, perhaps even more so than a the 6.0 score would indicate. But the content itself seemed fair and representative.

fuck the naysayers, at the time, THPS 3 deserved a 10. It is the best game in the series, and the quality of the later games going downhill just goes to show you can't improve upon perfection.

fuck you.

The industry is starting to turn into NINTENDO POWER of yesterday with every crappy game getting good scores because PR people paid the company off for the high review.[/QUOTE]

Jeff?

[quote name='TimPV3']fuck the naysayers, at the time, THPS 3 deserved a 10. It is the best game in the series, and the quality of the later games going downhill just goes to show you can't improve upon perfection.[/QUOTE]
THPS3 is the only one I still play. The level design is still my favorite. The later ones got too crazy.

[quote name='F8X']

[/QUOTE]
I posted his video review a few posts up, it's easy to tell why Eidos hated it.

Gamespot is basically the G4 of major gaming websites. It's all flash and pompous assholes, and this is just one less of them. This guy had a terrible attitude about everything, and I would be happy to see the whole lot of em fired and replaced by a dart board for scores.

I was a GS complete member for 5 years, but cancelled at the beginning of this year because there is no such thing as a credible integrity-rich major gaming journalism site.

Don't fool yourselves, gamespot is just like the rest, you either like em or you don't, none of it means shit.

[quote name='[LEFT']DJSteel[/left];3647664]followed by a tall glass of
wtf​
??[/quote]
All I'm saying is this is bad for the industry, bad for Gamespot , bad for gaming journalism(or professional enthusiasts if you want to call it that), and bad for us fans of gaming.

Companies have been doing this for years(paying for a review). Lets use 1up for an example(not bashing them).On 1up podcasts and EGM's companies paying off or trying to get their review score as high as possible is very common in the industry. There was that recent incident with IGN and there Metal of Honor Airborne Review. Hell there was that incident with PC World and their 10 best Mac features article that had 10 horrible things about Mac, Apple and PC World tried to fire the editor of the article(fortunately PC Wolrd fired its CEO and not its editor). I don't blame gaming companies for trying to bribe the Media, but the Media in return should have the integrity to rate games or anything for that matter on their basis and give tell the people what they think.

The reason why I said fuck Nintendo Fanboy's is because I've seen a ton of statements from Nintendo Fanboy's saying crap like "That's what that fat fuck gets for giving Zelda an 8.8"(Not an exact quote but you get the idea). Now to be honest if this was a man making eight figures and the head of a corporation I wouldn't mind but still...its a editor who is not at the top of the food chain at CNET. Who cheers when somebody gets fired for speaking his mind and upholding integrity. He said Kane & Lynch was an below average game(6.0), spoke his mind and is now fired because
Gamespot didn't have the balls to defend their editors.

Sites need to have a thumbs up or down rating. Simple, effective, and people can't rank games just by looking at 1 site.

If people want to have games ranked then the ESRB or somebody needs to organize a professional award ceremony where games are not noted by their faults but rather by their achievements.

-------

[quote name='[LEFT']Xevious[/left];3647666]I really doubt this rumor. The truth is ...its not uncommon for companies to lay off people in December. This is to meet their budgets.[/quote] Then why would they remove his Video Review from the Kane and Lynch section and their reviews section? And even if it was budget problems why would the company lay off a man who brought page views to the site?

Their last audio podcast apparently they did not recognize his absence and their is no live video podcast this week(which he hosts).

It bat least smells fishy

[quote name='[LEFT'] porieux[/left];3647719]Yeah let's blame Nintendo for something stupid that EIDOS and CNET did...[/quote]
I'm not blaming Nintendo, I'm just pissed off at Nintendo Fanboys in particular for the things they have been saying.
------
Also I honestly don't believe CNET had to much authority on this one. I mean think about it. Cnet just bought Gamespot because their try at gaming coverage hadn't faired so well. Gamespots business model is completely different from CNET. I think this was the Gamespot upper mangement that made this call.(Just a hunch)

fuck you.

The industry is starting to turn into NINTENDO POWER of yesterday with every crappy game getting good scores because PR people paid the company off for the high review.[/QUOTE]

TMK is that you?

[quote name='F8X']All I'm saying is this is bad for the industry, bad for Gamespot , bad for gaming journalism(or professional enthusiasts if you want to call it that), and bad for us fans of gaming.

Companies have been doing this for years(paying for a review). Lets use 1up for an example(not bashing them).On 1up podcasts and EGM's companies paying off or trying to get their review score as high as possible is very common in the industry. There was that recent incident with IGN and there Metal of Honor Airborne Review. Hell there was that incident with PC World and their 10 best Mac features article that had 10 horrible things about Mac, Apple and PC World tried to fire the editor of the article(fortunately PC Wolrd fired its CEO and not its editor). I don't blame gaming companies for trying to bribe the Media, but the Media in return should have the integrity to rate games or anything for that matter on their basis and give tell the people what they think.

The reason why I said fuck Nintendo Fanboy's is because I've seen a ton of statements from Nintendo Fanboy's saying crap like "That's what that fat fuck gets for giving Zelda an 8.8"(Not an exact quote but you get the idea). Now to be honest if this was a man making eight figures and the head of a corporation I wouldn't mind but still...its a editor who is not at the top of the food chain at CNET. Who cheers when somebody gets fired for speaking his mind and upholding integrity. He said Kane & Lynch was an below average game(6.0), spoke his mind and is now fired because
Gamespot didn't have the balls to defend their editors.

Sites need to have a thumbs up or down rating. Simple, effective, and people can't rank games just by looking at 1 site.

If people want to have games ranked then the ESRB or somebody needs to organize a professional award ceremony where games are not noted by their faults but rather by their achievements.

-------

Then why would they remove his Video Review from the Kane and Lynch section and their reviews section? And even if it was budget problems why would the company lay off a man who brought page views to the site?

Their last audio podcast apparently they did not recognize his absence and their is no live video podcast this week(which he hosts).

It bat least smells fishy

I'm not blaming Nintendo, I'm just pissed off at Nintendo Fanboys in particular for the things they have been saying.
------
Also I honestly don't believe CNET had to much authority on this one. I mean think about it. Cnet just bought Gamespot because their try at gaming coverage hadn't faired so well. Gamespots business model is completely different from CNET. I think this was the Gamespot upper mangement that made this call.(Just a hunch)[/QUOTE]

wat

[quote name='integralsmatic']TMK is that you?[/quote]
No,and pardon me for asking who is TMK? :whistle2:k:whistle2:?

[quote name='Apossum']wat[/quote]

Summary
  • Gerttsman should not have been fire based off of his Kane and Lynch Review
  • Stuff like this is bad for the industry
  • Nintendo fanboys in particular seem to be touting this as a victory of some sort
  • Editors should maintain integrity when reviewing any product and should not rate their games on a 7-10 scale because their getting a fat paycheck from that company.

[quote name='F8X']No,and pardon me for asking who is TMK? :whistle2:k:whistle2:?[/QUOTE]

A good natured Sony fan that never caused any problems, but was unrightfully banned by the evil moderators, simply for his pure love for Sony.

[quote name='Apossum']A good natured Sony fan that never caused any problems, but was unrightfully banned by the evil moderators, simply for his pure love for Sony.[/quote]

I'm not hating Nintendo here, I'm hating Nintendo fanboys and fanboys in general for some of the comments I've read.

So in the last week we have Penny Arcade, who did ads as well as an 8 page comic for Assassin's Creed, bitching about AC getting low scores. Now, a reviewer possibly fired over a low score he gave a game that his company is advertising.

No, there's nothing at all wrong with video game media these days. :roll:

This is a bad, bad thing. Game reviews are already pretty hokey, but it's more than coincidence that these three things came together- Heavy Kane & Lynch sponsorship of the site-Low review score-Writer's Termination.

Now, if a fourth thing happens- New review posted with higher score and more positive tone, that would take things to a whole new level.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Eidos' official forums. Wow.[/QUOTE]

Egads. Looks like that "PepsiWorld" forum that the OTT killed off in quick order a few months back.

EDIT: I guess the big question I have is this: do y'all really follow game reviews? What for? Let's be honest: do you genuinely base your purchasing decisions on reviews, or do you use them as a psychological mechanism to feel better about your purchasing decisions (one fine example being the feigned outrage over Gerttsman's Zelda: TP score)?

The only time in years I feel that a review was worth my time to read was when I considered purchasing Lair. The reviews led me to putting off my preorder; I did pick it up for $30 or so from GameFly, but that was still a terrible idea even then.

I really doubt that this is true. If this was a common practice at gamespot, then wouldn't The Outfit have a better score? I remember at the time that game came out that there were ads all over Gamespot, but the review was 6.7. I'm not saying that its not possible, just that it seems unlikely.

Sounds to me like one of those stories made up by Kotaku. There is a reason they've gotten the reputation as the tabloid of the gaming industry.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Eidos' official forums. Wow.[/QUOTE]
I see that people are taking the high road on this one. Well thought out, well written posts from some of the most intelligent people on the internet.

It's funny. I remember it being the exact opposite when Jeff reviewed Twilight Princess.

[quote name='Brak']Welp; there goes their best reviewer.[/QUOTE]

True dat.

[quote name='TimPV3']fuck the naysayers, at the time, THPS 3 deserved a 10. It is the best game in the series, and the quality of the later games going downhill just goes to show you can't improve upon perfection.[/QUOTE]

Could have sworn they gave THPS 2 a perfect 10 . . . well, either way they both deserved a 10.

[quote name='lanzarlaluna']I quit liking GS after he left. :lol:[/QUOTE]

I quit caring about GS after I found CAG. No real reason, just didn't like the new (at the time) layout and how they dropped the random Blogs they used to do.

Speaking of which, who was it that gave a CAG shout-out back when CAG was up and coming?

bread's done
Back