Jeremy Roenick, not a people person.

Doylerulez

CAGiversary!
Feedback
8 (100%)
I miss hockey, I don't care who screwed what up, but Jeremy Roenick is an ass. I feel bad for any head cheap ass who likes the Flyers and has to put up with players like this.

http://cbs.sportsline.com/nhl/story/8601972

"We're going to try to make it better for everybody, period, end of subject. And if you don't realize that, then don't come," said Roenick, who spoke at a charity golf event he played in over the weekend.

"We don't want you at the rink, we don't want you in the stadium, we don't want you to watch hockey," he said Saturday at the Mario Lemieux Celebrity Invitational in suburban Pittsburgh.

"I say personally, to everybody who called us 'spoiled,' you guys are just jealous ... we have tried so, so hard to get this game back on the ice," Roenick said.

yeah i saw that press conference...Roenick is in no position to say that....especially after his fuck up with gambling and his career in doubt he should have not said that...the NHL already lost fans...why keep more out just because they criticized you about the money....fans have every right to question the heart of the players..the cap issue should have been solved in a week but the players didnt want to budge...roenick is paying the price now because there is a gigantic loss in player salary this year and i dont think the owners even care since its actually a lesser hit to their wallet than having a full season. why would we be jealous of a bunch of snot nosed pretty boy wannabes playing a game where the salary is the lowest of the big 4(NFL,MLB,NBA,NHL).the game is in so much need of a boost now ridiculous ideas are in play like huger nets...none of the other sports had to make any changes to their game and they are still thriving.. im sure helluva not jealous looking like jeremy roenick...what a way to help the sport of hockey to now shove away even more fans..Welcome jeremy roenick you are now sports biggest jerk!

Well, he was referring to fans who're blaming the players for the lockout. So I kind of agree with him. He's saying, "Hey, if you think it's our fault after we've done our part to get the game back on the ice, then don't bother coming to the games." So yeah, I think he's just frustrated with not being able to play the game and is angry some fans are targeting the players as being the main problem.

I think the players have done more than enough to try to meet the owner's demands. They've agreed to a salary cap and in giving up some of their salary. Giving back money is something you probably will never see in the NBA.

Hey he wants even those fans to stay at home.....Ive got news for hockey...nobody is going to watch you play anyway...so who will be paying his salary?

[quote name='Grave_Addiction']Well, he was referring to fans who're blaming the players for the lockout. So I kind of agree with him. He's saying, "Hey, if you think it's our fault after we've done our part to get the game back on the ice, then don't bother coming to the games." So yeah, I think he's just frustrated with not being able to play the game and is angry some fans are targeting the players as being the main problem.

I think the players have done more than enough to try to meet the owner's demands. They've agreed to a salary cap and in giving up some of their salary. Giving back money is something you probably will never see in the NBA.[/QUOTE]

But the NBA is never in trouble fininacially...infact you will never see that in the NFL or the MLB either...it still comes to both sides were at fault...Jagr was even quoted as to the players making a mistake not taking the cap the first time around. i know the players have been doing a great deal but this could all have been avoided if the initial cap proposal was accepted..i know the owners want to reduce the minimum salary from 1.3 million to 1.1 million (i hope those are the right numbers) I would have taken the hit because now yo uhave to throw in a rollback which means you have to give money you thought you had right back to the owner.i dunno anymore...its a noble thing for the player to offer that to the owners but it was something they could have avoided 8 months ago and we could still have crowned a new or repeat champ.

[quote name='integralsmatic']But the NBA is never in trouble fininacially...infact you will never see that in the NFL or the MLB either...it still comes to both sides were at fault...Jagr was even quoted as to the players making a mistake not taking the cap the first time around. i know the players have been doing a great deal but this could all have been avoided if the initial cap proposal was accepted..i know the owners want to reduce the minimum salary from 1.3 million to 1.1 million (i hope those are the right numbers) I would have taken the hit because now yo uhave to throw in a rollback which means you have to give money you thought you had right back to the owner.i dunno anymore...its a noble thing for the player to offer that to the owners but it was something they could have avoided 8 months ago and we could still have crowned a new or repeat champ.[/QUOTE]

yea but the NBA is also smart enough to realize where its fanbase is and not start putting franchises everywhere that looks like it MIGHT draw some interest.

and this lockout is all the owners fault, they were hellbent on having one and did not care about the game to try and avoid one. Don't blame the players because even if they would have played for free there still would have been no hockey last year. Grave is exactly right in his assessment of the situtation.

Keep in mind that most professional hockey players do not attend college and often receive very hard blows to their head.

I say Roenick is perfectly in the right saying this. He's only talking about fans who blame the players, when to me, it was entirely the owners' fault. They wanted to spring up franchises everywhere, and don't forget who decided it was a good idea to pay the players all that money. It's the owners who have brought hockey to where it is now a days, and it's a sad place, I can tell you that.

But come next season, which should hopefully really be this upcoming season, I will probably be one of the few who still welcome hockey back with open arms. Cause God knows I can't watch anymore of that crap the NBA puts out.

[quote name='CheapyD']Keep in mind that most professional hockey players do not attend college and often receive very hard blows to their head.[/QUOTE]

:rofl:

Almost sounds like how some adult performers get started....

I see where Roenick is coming from. He probably could have worded it differently though. He still needs to see where certain fans are coming from too. Most fans see what these players are paid and laugh at the mere fact it is called a "labor" dispute. I personally feel bad for the concessions workers and people like that.

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl']Well, he's right.[/QUOTE]He may be right, but very often, that doesn't really matter. One thing I've learned...even if you are right, sometimes its better to keep your mouth shut.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']That's true Cheapy. I used to tell my sister that all the time (of course it didn't go over that well though).[/QUOTE]

Tell us more about this "sister."

[quote name='the3rdkey']Tell us more about this "sister."[/QUOTE]

No need for the quotation marks. She is real... :lol:

I was at her wedding Sunday so I know its true!

[quote name='GuilewasNK']No need for the quotation marks. She is real... :lol:

I was at her wedding Sunday so I know its true![/QUOTE]

Tell us more about her "wedding."

Eh, he's one of those players I love to hate, unless he's on my team, so when he spouts off about the fans, it's not helping his cause.

There's no national tv contract that I know of right now, and the local station that used to carry the Sabres is gone, I dunno how much exposure hockey will get even when it is back. Maybe ESPN 8 will pick it up for $2 million a year. "Only on the Ocho!"

Edit: my bad, they still have a deal with NBC, ESPN declined their $60 mil option a while ago, which threw me off because they're affiliated with ABC.

I saw the clips of Roenick's press conference on Sportscenter, and he would have been better off keeping his mouth shut (as mentioned above). Hockey's got a black eye right now, don't do anything to make it worse. He just needs to go home and roll around in a pile of money.

[quote name='Doylerulez']Eh, he's one of those players I love to hate, unless he's on my team, so when he spouts off about the fans, it's not helping his cause.

There's no national tv contract that I know of right now, and the local station that used to carry the Sabres is gone, I dunno how much exposure hockey will get even when it is back. Maybe ESPN 8 will pick it up for $2 million a year. "Only on the Ocho!"[/QUOTE]

I would like to see some teams gone forever. Like why the hell does Florida have more than one team?

[quote name='Doylerulez']Eh, he's one of those players I love to hate, unless he's on my team, so when he spouts off about the fans, it's not helping his cause.

There's no national tv contract that I know of right now, and the local station that used to carry the Sabres is gone, I dunno how much exposure hockey will get even when it is back. Maybe ESPN 8 will pick it up for $2 million a year. "Only on the Ocho!"[/QUOTE]

pretty sure they have a deal with NBC

While he may be right in what he said, I agree that the way he said it makes him sound like a baby and he should just shut up. Why would you further alienate your fan base? Especially if the new salary cap deal is tied to league revenues. Way to take even more money out of your pocket, JR!

While I don't deny that the owners put the league in this situation with overexpansion and overpaying players, the union needed to get heads out of their @$$es a year ago and realized that a cap was going to be the only solution. The fact that the players are now coming out and stating this is just showing how weak the NHLPA is.

I wouldn't be surprised if JR is a marked man once the season does actually start. Remember, he was supposedly one of the players that tried to go around the union representatives to strike a deal. It was then that the union formally agreed to a cap (albeit at a much higher number) when the whole time they were preaching the opposite. I wouldn't think that the other players who were backing the union stance the whole time are going to think to kindly of him.

[quote name='the3rdkey']I would like to see some teams gone forever. Like why the hell does Florida have more than one team?[/QUOTE]

I know the NBA needs to have a couple of teams retracted. Too many players are playing that shouldn't be, and it's dilluting the overall talent pool. Is the NHL seeing a similar trend? I am just a casual hockey fan (too many sports, too little time).

Edit: woot, just noticed I am now a cheap ass regular. It only took me two years of posting. Just remember to keep plugging away at it kids....dreams really do happen...

Yes, he was/is an idiot for opening his mouth. He either attended a top line Division 1 College, or he was in a top line prep school here in the boston area, so he can't be that stupid.

I think the NHL needs colourful characters like this, to draw people into the game and pique their interest. Personally, I HATE JEREMY ROENICK, because of game 6 in the 2003-2004 playoffs against the Leafs. Stupid goal.

Anyways, this is probably one of the biggest givebacks a union has ever done, and thus, my respect for the players has returned.

well roenick did an interview this morning for one of the atlanta radio stations, and all he was saying is that the thing he said other got taken out of context and that he has been one of the guys saying they should do whatever they have to do to get playing again

edit: and everything he is saying is true. i would be pissed too if i gave up 25% of my salary and then got crapped on by fans saying i was greedy

[quote name='Mike23']I think the NHL needs colourful characters like this, to draw people into the game and pique their interest. Personally, I HATE JEREMY ROENICK, because of game 6 in the 2003-2004 playoffs against the Leafs. Stupid goal.

Anyways, this is probably one of the biggest givebacks a union has ever done, and thus, my respect for the players has returned.[/QUOTE]

agreed

One of the biggest problems that the NHL has is the media down here in the States. Hockey highlights are nearly nonexistant on the news. But when they actually show something, it's something like the Bertuzzi incident nonstop. The NHL will always have its hardcore fans, but it needs the casual fans to survive. JR was right, but at what cost?

[quote name='Baseball2g']One of the biggest problems that the NHL has is the media down here in the States. Hockey highlights are nearly nonexistant on the news. But when they actually show something, it's something like the Bertuzzi incident nonstop. The NHL will always have its hardcore fans, but it needs the casual fans to survive. JR was right, but at what cost?[/QUOTE]

Yea. I like hockey, but its not something i would watch instead of doing something else.

bread's done
Back