Jet Grind Radio...kinda sucks?

mattstockton12

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
Woooah! Hold it right there. Don't hurt me yet.

I just got done playing Jet Set Radio Future. I found it to be very awesome with very fluid and smooth controls (with the exception of the apparent inability to stop grinding when needed). I was overall very happy with the game.

Then I realized that, hey, I never did finish Jet Grind Radio! I could get more sweet sweet grafitti action! So I popped it back in and loaded up my save file. Then I started playing...

Holy...Crap. I had not noticed how many levels above the original that JSRF is. JGR was sluggish and the character didn't respond well at all. Not to mention the fact that you have to avoid the enemies as opposed to defeating them and you have a freaking time limit (yuck). Now, I'd say JGR is still a decent game, but I honestly don't think I can finish it with the knowledge of JSRF.

Anyone else have similar problems moving back to older games? It kinda makes me sad and it also makes me wonder how I ever played the game in the first place! Maybe I just need more patience with it.

Wow, this is interesting. I picket up JGR for a few bucks many years ago (before I got my Xbox). I played it, and though everyone loved it, I really didn't. Something never clicked. What's amazing is, I got JGRF with my Xbox for free, and since I didn't like the original, I've never played it.

Now I'm beginning to wonder if that was a huge mistake. I might have to add that to my huge backlog. Might as well give it a try, see if I like that one better.

I think they are both good games, but yes, JSRF fixed and improved many of the issues I had with JGR and that makes it quite a bit more enjoyable.

I enjoyed JGR more since JSRF seemed too easy to me, the final boss in JGR was also harder and more enjoyable for me to beat. I enjoyed both games though, and hope they make another game someday.

I tried playing JSRF recently and all it did was make me miss the ol' times with JGR.

Also the soundtrack was, like, way gooder in JGR.

I haven't played too much of JSRF not being an Xbox owner, but JGR is my favorite Dreamcast game. I don't think there are any control problems, the graffiti is done fine (I like using my own designs as well), the characters are awesome, time limit puts more difficulty/pressure into the game. There are a few problems as there always are for any 3D game that attempts to do platforming at all, but those are rather minimal here.

[quote name='Poopfacedoo']
Also the soundtrack was, like, way gooder in JGR.[/quote]

Ok, I can agree with that! There were a couple of songs in JSRF that made me want to stop playing everytime they came on. The small song selection led them to come on pretty often too :(

[quote name='usickenme']Speaking of...

Where is Jet Set Radio Wii?[/quote]
Never happening considering how no one friggen bought the Dreamcast, Xbox or GBA titles. It, like almost every game series that started on Dreamcast, ain't coming back with a sequel. Which is very unfortunate. I'd love a JSR and Samba de Amigo on Wii, with ChuChu Rocket! on Xbox Live Arcade.

Ah man, Jet Grind Radio was one of the few games I never played on my Dreamcast :( I was too busy with Soul Caliber and that damned Skies of Arcadia!

i played it in japanese and got stuck somewhere. i really loved that game and i still own the us version that i barely played. it was the game that got me hooked on the dreamcast. but i agree with you though, JGRF for the xbox is far more superior. i never actually finished that as well.

you should try finding De La Jet Set Radio.. if you could..

[quote name='usickenme']Speaking of...

Where is Jet Set Radio Wii?[/quote] http://www.destructoid.com/blogs/electro+lemon/-confirmed-tgs-07-lineup-shows-jet-set-radio-next-crazy-taxi-and-shenmue-3-to-be-announced-40530.phtml
=o=o=o
Jet Set Radio Next (Xbox 360, PS3)

01.jpg

[quote name='masterofdarkness']http://www.destructoid.com/blogs/electro+lemon/-confirmed-tgs-07-lineup-shows-jet-set-radio-next-crazy-taxi-and-shenmue-3-to-be-announced-40530.phtml
=o=o=o
Jet Set Radio Next (Xbox 360, PS3)
[/QUOTE]

Wasn't that list a confirmed fake? Not sure about that page announcing Jet Set Radio Wii. I sure hope it's real.

JGR was a novel concept and fun for a while (until the Time Limit and other things forced you to quit), but JSR:F improved on it so much that it made the original look like a steamy turd in comparison.

I gave up on JGR after a few levels, the concept was neat but the time limit was horrible. JSRF was so much better and one of my favorite XBox games.

Love and still play the original JGR, and JSRF kinda sits by the wayside. It's the same way with Katamari Damacy and We Love Katamari. I have both, and they're very similar and sometimes a bit improved in the sequel, but the original is what I go back to.

I don't think that is what it says. Given my limited French, the article seems to be more of the "Would it be great IF......" type of story.

[quote name='Rig']I played and loved JGR.

Just couldn't get into JSRF. I don't think it was as good.[/quote]

I feel the same way.

JSRF was dumbed-down a bit. I was rather disappointed after being such a fan of the first.

I REALLY wish Sega would take their time to make a third game that took the best parts of both games and added a little extra flair to it to make a true masterpiece.

However, seeing Sega's recent history, I'm not getting my hopes up...

Well now technically, Sega's not exactly been the blame. It's been more or less Sonic Team that's been delivering a lot of plain ol' turds. Some of Sega's other developers have brought out far better over the years than Sonic Team has been doing.

I hated both the DC and XBOX versions of the game. Then again, I don't like any skating or graffiti games because I find them boring, so I have biases.

[quote name='Tsukento']Well now technically, Sega's not exactly been the blame. It's been more or less Sonic Team that's been delivering a lot of plain ol' turds. Some of Sega's other developers have brought out far better over the years than Sonic Team has been doing.[/quote]

The only games recently that seem decent have been from AM2. (Out Run 2, Virtua Fighter 5, Afterburner Climax) I can't think of anything else that seems that interesting.

I remember playing the demo for JSG ..and I loved it.. then since i kind of missed out on the DC I got it on the Xbox and I didn't think it was as fun.. but it was a great game and gave me the "grinding bliss" that I needed..

[quote name='SMMM']how was the GBA version?[/quote]
It's got the overall fun of the original, but the perspective makes it a bit of a pain. I like it. All but stays in my Micro

Woooah! Hold it right there. Don't hurt me yet.

I just got done playing Jet Set Radio Future. I found it to be very awesome with very fluid and smooth controls (with the exception of the apparent inability to stop grinding when needed). I was overall very happy with the game.

Then I realized that, hey, I never did finish Jet Grind Radio! I could get more sweet sweet grafitti action! So I popped it back in and loaded up my save file. Then I started playing...

Holy...Crap. I had not noticed how many levels above the original that JSRF is. JGR was sluggish and the character didn't respond well at all. Not to mention the fact that you have to avoid the enemies as opposed to defeating them and you have a freaking time limit (yuck). Now, I'd say JGR is still a decent game, but I honestly don't think I can finish it with the knowledge of JSRF.

Anyone else have similar problems moving back to older games? It kinda makes me sad and it also makes me wonder how I ever played the game in the first place! Maybe I just need more patience with it.
i understand you finished Jet Grind Radio Future but the port of Jet Grind radio for game boy advanced is terrible. and it is not a remake nor demake it's just a Port. this is the only clarification I'm just gonna give you. but I have not checked these enemies in the manual or guidebook yet. (and non no nyet nien not the flipping gameboy advance from the flipping gameFaq one)

i understand you finished Jet Grind Radio Future but the port of Jet Grind radio for game boy advanced is terrible. and it is not a remake nor demake it's just a Port. this is the only clarification I'm just gonna give you. but I have not checked these enemies in the manual or guidebook yet. (and non no nyet nien not the flipping gameboy advance from the flipping gameFaq one)
This is from 16 years ago.

I kind of like how a thread from the 2000's got bumped. I want to go back to the 2000's very badly.

As a more recent example, I felt like Bayonetta had slower response time after I played through Bayonetta 2.

bread's done
Back