Job at GameStop ?

jeff1304

CAGiversary!
Well i have a main job but was looking at getting a 2nd part time job at gamestop i was wondering what people thought of working there ? whats it like ? what are the benefits and pay like ?

Thanks for reading

Please don't it's a nightmare...

1.Takes 15 mins. plus to do a simple trade-in because of all the paperwork you must fill out.

2.I hope you like being patted down when you come into work and when you leave.

3.Dealing with angry customers who want to exchange a broken system (like a 360) for another one and you tell them you can't because you have none but you are lying because you do have some but the serial # check isn't done to see if it's stolen. So the customer gets Mega-angry as would I because they bought a warranty and can't even use it.

4. Almost forcing people to subscribe for the Edge Card/Game Informer and place Reserves because they monitor whether you are successful or not and can be talked to but not fired if you can't get people to sign up (but hey who wants a lecture)

The only good part of the job was talking with customers about games and giving your opinion on what they should get and what would be best for their child, but it's not worth it.

Please please don't work there during the holiday season you are setting yourself up to fail. If you have your heart set on working there like I did, come back in march.

[quote name='Naruto Uzumaki']Please don't it's a nightmare...

1.Takes 15 mins. plus to do a simple trade-in because of all the paperwork you must fill out.

2.I hope you like being patted down when you come into work and when you leave.

3.Dealing with angry customers who want to exchange a broken system (like a 360) for another one and you tell them you can't because you have none but you are lying because you do have some but the serial # check isn't done to see if it's stolen. So the customer gets Mega-angry as would I because they bought a warranty and can't even use it.

4. Almost forcing people to subscribe for the Edge Card/Game Informer and place Reserves because they monitor whether you are successful or not and can be talked to but not fired if you can't get people to sign up (but hey who wants a lecture)

The only good part of the job was talking with customers about games and giving your opinion on what they should get and what would be best for their child, but it's not worth it.

Please please don't work there during the holiday season you are setting yourself up to fail. If you have your heart set on working there like I did, come back in march.[/QUOTE]

well 1 and 2 don't bother me at all as i am used to long paper work and they can search my crap all they want i don't have anything to hide.

am im not looking to making bank working there anyways as i already have a primary job just looking for a part time job that i can earn a little extra money at.

it's a retail job, it sucks as much as all retail jobs do.

if you get a dick manager, it will suck even more. if you get a cool manager, it might suck a little less.

[quote name='jeff1304']Well i have a main job but was looking at getting a 2nd part time job at gamestop i was wondering what people thought of working there ? whats it like ? what are the benefits and pay like ?

Thanks for reading[/QUOTE]
I forgot to say pay is min. wage there and you won't have any benefits since you'll be a part timer.

wait hold on you will have two benefits for games (I think you mean more along the lines of health maybe?)

1. you can borrow up to 19 games a month 1 at a time.

2.you get a 10% discount on all games but not on hardware and xbox live cards and such.

[quote name='Naruto Uzumaki']I forgot to say pay is min. wage there and you won't have any benefits since you'll be a part timer.

wait hold on you will have two benefits for games (I think you mean more along the lines of health maybe?)

2.you get a 10% discount on all games but not on hardware and xbox live cards and such.[/QUOTE]

hey that first benefit can be worth hundreds of dollars a month depending on how much gaming you do since you'll never have to buy games anymore (unless you are collecting of course.)

but still, i would personally NEVER work there because of the whole preorder/edge card selling thing.

[quote name='ElwoodCuse']

if you get a dick manager, it will suck even more. if you get a cool manager, it might suck a little less.[/QUOTE]
applies to any job.

I did it for a couple of weeks. I help set up a brand new store and was hoping to work out of that one, but didn't. The manager of the store that hired me was too creepy for me to be around and I'm not into pushing subscriptions and shit so I doubt I would've stayed long anyway.

It was just a weekend deal for me too.

From what I've heard it's not an enjoyable experience. There are these videos on Youtube that "expose" Gamestops weird ways for its employees you should check it out.

[quote name='SuxoR']From what I've heard it's not an enjoyable experience. There are these videos on Youtube that "expose" Gamestops weird ways for its employees you should check it out.[/QUOTE]

Link?

[quote name='Naruto Uzumaki']

2.you get a 10% discount on all games but not on hardware and xbox live cards and such.[/QUOTE]

WTF? How do you borrow games from gamestop? They just take them and bring it back? That is so fucked considering they gut every game. I had no idea they were taking the games home to play because they sell opened games as new. I've no idea how this is legal..

Gamestop employees don't have much perks anymore. % discount isnt too high nowadays. And if you hate sales, pushing customer to get the edge card or place a reservation will not be your cup of tea.

Work at Big5 or Bestbuy, Radio Shack or something. Everytime I go there, the employees are just walking around.

bread's done
Back