Jobs

gamefreak

CAGiversary!
Was looking for a job that'd be good for a gamer. I was thinking something along the lines of Gamestop or Best Buy. I think Gamestop would be a bit easier (not as bad pushing the warrenty and less people at GS) but Best Buy seems to have a better employee discount.

I'm not really sure where I'd like to work. Any advice?

Well I mean, being 16 and having no job experience what other choices do I have?

Edit: Wow, post # 666.

I'd say stay away from anything game related. It might ruin it for you. But if you must, go with Best Buy. Because you'll eventually want to get an HD TV... and computer parts.. presents... etc etc... and you'll get discounts on all of it

Best Buy does have a nice discount but there are a lot of things they make you learn when you get hired, and you have to push a lot of stuff like warranties, reward zone, digital subscriptions etc. All in all though i really like working there.

[quote name='gamefreak']Well I mean, being 16 and having no job experience what other choices do I have?[/quote]

I loved it at Taco Bell.

Call Center!!!!!

I am working in one for the holiday season, and I can play my GBA inbetween calls. Granted it will be over in a month , but thats a good thing.

Gamestop can be the greatest job in the world or the crappiest hell hole!! I would suggest getting to know the Manager or employees first, if they seem like ideal people to work with then go for it. But the management and District Managers usually suck for Gamestop.

It seems ours is rather good down here (from a customers perspective); no idiots trying to get you to buy stuff and a simple "Do you have a Gamestop card?" when buying something. Maybe I'll go ask some people how they like their job.

Comic Shop. Im not hiring, but you do get to read some interesting material, and there are quite a few gamer books out (MGS, DMC, Street Fighter, Silent Hill, Darkstalkers, .hack, Suikoden III)

have fun trying to get a job.... i dont know about your area but here... it is really hard to find a job and especially a job that cool

Its not fun working retail, but seeing as how your 16 its not like you have a lot of choices. BB or CC would be good for the discounts.

I say find a job you can slack off in. Some mom and pop store instead of a big company.

Sitting around doing nothing beats actually working anyday :D

[quote name='Santurio']Gamestop can be the greatest job in the world or the crappiest hell hole!! I would suggest getting to know the Manager or employees first, if they seem like ideal people to work with then go for it. But the management and District Managers usually suck for Gamestop.[/quote]

exactly what he said. i work at gamestop and when are asshole dm isn't there, it is very good. with seasonal hires, don't expect many hours and the pay isn't very good. you also get crap for a discount (15%), but once all the seasonal stuff is done, it shouldn't be that bad anymore.

I used to work at my local AMC theatres and it sucked so much ass. There was one might good benefit however: free movies from monday-thursday and immediate family can get in free. Also you can take one friend per movie.

[quote name='basketkase543']I used to work at my local AMC theatres and it sucked so much ass. There was one might good benefit however: free movies from monday-thursday and immediate family can get in free. Also you can take one friend per movie.[/quote]

Wow, that's pretty sweet...

[quote name='gamefreak'][quote name='basketkase543']I used to work at my local AMC theatres and it sucked so much ass. There was one might good benefit however: free movies from monday-thursday and immediate family can get in free. Also you can take one friend per movie.[/quote]

Wow, that's pretty sweet...[/quote]

It was cool except the actual job was torture. So many stupid customers treated me and my coworkers like garbage. Also, many customers are total pigs and they can't seem to pick up ANYTHING after themselves when the movie is over. Seriously, is it really that hard to grab that soda they were drinking and toss it in a trash can???? Grrr.....One time, we cleaned up after a screening of the first Spy Kids and someone left a dirty diaper on the seat!

[quote name='basketkase543'][quote name='gamefreak'][quote name='basketkase543']I used to work at my local AMC theatres and it sucked so much ass. There was one might good benefit however: free movies from monday-thursday and immediate family can get in free. Also you can take one friend per movie.[/quote]

Wow, that's pretty sweet...[/quote]

It was cool except the actual job was torture. So many stupid customers treated me and my coworkers like garbage. Also, many customers are total pigs and they can't seem to pick up ANYTHING after themselves when the movie is over. Seriously, is it really that hard to grab that soda they were drinking and toss it in a trash can???? Grrr.....One time, we cleaned up after a screening of the first Spy Kids and someone left a dirty diaper on the seat![/quote]

You should have taken DNA from the shit and then found the people and stalked them!

[quote name='the_deej']can you work in retail when you are 15? im turning 15 soon and im lookin for a way to make cash[/quote]

Usually not. I wasn't able to get any retail jobs until I was 16 (I worked at Toys R' Us). Some small shops might look into hiring you though, possibly under the table.

[quote name='the_deej']can you work in retail when you are 15? im turning 15 soon and im lookin for a way to make cash[/quote]

Depends. In our state you need to get a permit to work in which case you can work at 14 or 15 and have limited hours. Do some research.

[quote name='gamefreak'][quote name='the_deej']can you work in retail when you are 15? im turning 15 soon and im lookin for a way to make cash[/quote]

Depends. In our state you need to get a permit to work in which case you can work at 14 or 15 and have limited hours. Do some research.[/quote]

Most but not all states will allow 14\15 year olds work but for very limited hours. Here in Indiana most 14\15 years olds can only work 2-3 hours a day and off by 7 p.m....

You need to start writing in your spare time and then when you get to college you can pick either Computer Programming (if you like to write code), Journalism (if you like to write with a pen), or Art (if you like to write with your pencils). Either one could get you in the door at a game company or a publication/website dedicated to gaming. If I could do it over I would definitely go this route...

If you like watching movies get a job at a video store that lets you take home movies before they come out. I have a friend that works at a Mr. Movies, and he gets to rent movies the Thursday before they come out.

[quote name='Zenithian Legend']I'd talk to Reality's Fringe before working in a game store.[/quote]

Ah, my experience has reached all corners of the globe :D .

In my experience, working at Gamestop was one of the worst things I've ever done. From their unfair and dubious practices(With intent as well. I've heard things directly from the lie-hole of the DM) to the insane customers you get in these places. Don't let the path I chose to end my....bountiful....employment with the company disuade you from listening to my actual experience. I worked my ass off for that place and played by the book at all times. I was yelled at by my first manager and called stupid in front of several customers (This was after I had only been there for a week and was still shaky on the register), I've been told to lie in order to sell reserves and get MSTs up (Multi-Sku transactions. For example selling a memory card with a game), I've seen them check "new" games out(which isn't against store policy, despite what managers might tell you) and resell them as "NEW", My hours have been cut to less than 3 per week even though I was increasingly productive(and remember they measure productivity by reserves and subscriptions to their now discredited and still mocked rag of a magazine), my manager took frequent on the clock breaks to smoke weed in his car(let us not forget how terribly inept he was in the first place), I've heard the DM tell us that, if it looks good enough, to sell trade in games as "Display copies" for the new price (yeah, I was going to call about it, but guess what, that person got promoted), I was forced to run the entire front of the store by myself when MAdden 2005 was released (I'm not even a key-holder, and we had a line of about 90 angry patrons), I've taken countless trade-ins with game discs only that were all scratched to hell (personal thing of mine), I've been yelled at by customers, accussed of stealing (now fired SM who was the one stealing unclaimed store credits), and had some bratty ass little kid kick me in the shin. All in all, I watched as my favorite hobby was eroded. And for what? A measly $6hr that, often times, would be offset by my awesome 3 hr work weeks (which were often sequential> In fact, I remember a time I was only scheduled for one day for 3 hours, and I got called off).

That was my experience, and terrible as it sounds, is all true. Your results may vary, but remember that whatm you take form this job isn't going to be some paltry paycheck; It could very wll be a nightmare you will find yourself waking up to again and again. Godspeed.

Hmmm... sounds like a barrel of pain... well thanks for sharing your experiences!

*makes note to ask employees what its like*

bread's done
Back