Join the search for the ultimate 3rd party light gun!

RisingZan

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
I've looked everywhere and can't seem to find a light gun that comes close to the quality, heft, and recoil of the guns attached to the arcade versions of time crisis/2/3. I'm dying to bring the "real" arcade experience home...

Does anyone have any recommendations, links, etc? I would be most grateful.

I'm getting a light gun called the p99g2 light blaster. Apparently the recoil feature on it is quite good according to the brief review I read of it but I'll keep my hopes at bay until it arrives. (Got it on Ebay). It's supposed to be compatible with all Guncon 1/2 games, I just hope it works with RE Dead Aim since that's what I got it for.... I'll let you know how it is once it arrives.

what dont you like about the orange guncon2? that iss the only one i tried and it works good. not like the arcade, but it is good

Check out the Light Gun Discussion Thread in the PS2 forums for some pictures of the Desert Eagles and some light gun inquery. Basically, the reason you'd want to get an import in the first place is for kickback/recoil and the option to use a pedal. If that doesn't matter, than the GC2 is fine.

d0ad03c7.jpg

Punqsux got 4 Desert Eagles (2 for him, 2 for me) from Ebay for relatively cheap. I believe something around $17 for each pair. You can also get them in Black under the name Mission Light Guns. Same exact lightgun, just in black. Theres lots of other import light guns but from what I've seen this is the only model with the actual recoil. Other guns have vibration and even unnecessary laser sights. I believe all imports have a slot in the bottom to plug in a Reload Pedal.

Yeah, the recoil is the thang. If I could get something close to the recoil of the arcade...I'd really like to know what you think of the DE.

I've played Time Crisis 2 with the Desert Eagle, and I must say that the recoil is pretty strong and is comparable to the stock guns for the TC arcade unit.

But I've got to tell you that I don't the recoil is worth the sacrifice in accuracy and quality of the gun. It's simply off-target and no amount of calibration seems to work well. This is the case regardless of whether the recoil action is turned off or not. The button placement is also mind-boggling. One of the reload buttons is on the butt of the handle(that would be the bottom). This makes it incredibly akward. But if you plan on using the pedal, I guess it doesn't matter.

I find the Guncon 2 a much better light gun in so many ways. I suggest you just stick with the first-party gun and you'll be better off for it.

[quote name='ptcruiser9roc']I've played Time Crisis 2 with the Desert Eagle, and I must say that the recoil is pretty strong and is comparable to the stock guns for the TC arcade unit.

But I've got to tell you that I don't the recoil is worth the sacrifice in accuracy and quality of the gun. It's simply off-target and no amount of calibration seems to work well. This is the case regardless of whether the recoil action is turned off or not. The button placement is also mind-boggling. One of the reload buttons is on the butt of the handle(that would be the bottom). This makes it incredibly akward. But if you plan on using the pedal, I guess it doesn't matter.

I find the Guncon 2 a much better light gun in so many ways. I suggest you just stick with the first-party gun and you'll be better off for it.[/quote]

Uhmm... one of the Guncon 2's reload buttons is in the exact same place.

Wait, you're right. I was thinking one of them had it. So I have to announce that it is the GUNCON that has the button on the butt of the gun. But I still suggest that you stick with the Guncon. Thanks for pointing it out Corn.

I should also mention that the DE has the same auto-reload and auto-fire functions. Which makes it even lamer in my opinion.

I just got the p99g2 lightgun today. After a few small issues I have to say that this gun is pretty frigging sweet. This gun also has real recoil very much like Time Crisis's arcade guns, and although I've never tried the Desert Eagle I am completely satisfied with the kickback it provides. It comes with a nice, functional foot pedal that, if I were playing a TC game, I'm sure would work excellently, at least it worked good as the sneak button in RE: Dead Aim, which is the one game I've tested it on so far. The only thing it lacks that I've noticed so far is a D-pad, but since a d-pad is really not all that nessessary for lightgun games it's not much of an issue, since when playing Dead Aim I just hold the left part of my dual shock in the other hand. From the calibrating I did in Dead Aim the accuracy seems pretty good, it has the same video-in plug stemming out of the controller plug like Guncons (it also comes with an adapter so it can be used on older PS1s and PS2 vid inputs). The cursor in the calibration mode seemed to jitter in a closed area but I noticed no detrimental effects to the gameplay. Since Dead Aim is the only game I've played it with I can't speak on compatibility, but it's advertised to work with all Namco and Konami lightgun games, but who knows really. I'm going to find me some more games to play this with since it's really quite fun. Good luck finding this gun though, I don't know of any online shops that sell it, I got it Buy it Now on Ebay from a seller who I believe only had one of them for about $22 shipped. Here's a review on a French site of the gun with plenty of pics, Babelfish it and they say pretty much they same things I have.

http://www.hardgamers.com/materiel.asp?no=19

[quote name='russtophiles']I just got the p99g2 lightgun today. After a few small issues I have to say that this gun is pretty frigging sweet. This gun also has real recoil very much like Time Crisis's arcade guns, and although I've never tried the Desert Eagle I am completely satisfied with the kickback it provides. It comes with a nice, functional foot pedal that, if I were playing a TC game, I'm sure would work excellently, at least it worked good as the sneak button in RE: Dead Aim, which is the one game I've tested it on so far. The only thing it lacks that I've noticed so far is a D-pad, but since a d-pad is really not all that nessessary for lightgun games it's not much of an issue, since when playing Dead Aim I just hold the left part of my dual shock in the other hand. From the calibrating I did in Dead Aim the accuracy seems pretty good, it has the same video-in plug stemming out of the controller plug like Guncons (it also comes with an adapter so it can be used on older PS1s and PS2 vid inputs). The cursor in the calibration mode seemed to jitter in a closed area but I noticed no detrimental effects to the gameplay. Since Dead Aim is the only game I've played it with I can't speak on compatibility, but it's advertised to work with all Namco and Konami lightgun games, but who knows really. I'm going to find me some more games to play this with since it's really quite fun. Good luck finding this gun though, I don't know of any online shops that sell it, I got it Buy it Now on Ebay from a seller who I believe only had one of them for about $22 shipped. Here's a review on a French site of the gun with plenty of pics, Babelfish it and they say pretty much they same things I have.

http://www.hardgamers.com/materiel.asp?no=19[/quote]

Yeah, DONT DO DUAL GUNS WITH THE p99g2 WHATEVER YOU fuckING DO, if you do, you WILL fry the rumble feature in your ps2, Don't say you haven't been warned.... and yeah it also will NOT work with time crisis 3, only with time crisis 2...

russtophiles, I was looking at the pictures of that gun and noticed it doesn't have a usb plug. (incase you weren't aware, controller plug = original guncon/lightgun compatible, usb = guncon 2 compatible) So it probably would not work with GunCon2 only games. I know TC3 for sure is GC2 only, and either Ninja Assault or Vampire nights is also. Not both, just one. Dino Stalker, Dead Aim, and Endgame are all Guncon 1 or 2 compatible though.

Don't listen to ptcruiser about the desert eagles, he doesn't know what he's talking about. The fact that it has the option of auto reload/fire doesn't anything. Its as close as it comesto the arcade as far as I'm concerned. I just need to order a couple reload pedals and I'm set. If you want some DETAILED pictures and to see all the button placement, Punqsux put some great pics up on page 12(?) of the light gun thread.

Actually I tried Dead Aim with a Guncon 1 and it didn't work properly, and in the manual it says that it's a guncon 2 only game. But yeah otherwise I noticed it definitely has a PS1 lean. Doesn't bother me too much though, as long as it works with a handful of good lightgun games (many of which I've recently confirmed as working, Vampire Nights is comfirmed as working on that review I posted) I'm happy. Thanks for the notice about using two at once, though I only have one that's good info to know.

bread's done
Back