JRPG "Madness"

WonkyToad

CAGiversary!
Feedback
19 (100%)
Hello,
I am looking for opinions and suggestions for "WAY OUT THERE" JRPGs.
Something that is FAR away from the Western (A)RPGs and makes me go WTF?!? and is still really fun!
I have a PSWii60, but since the 360 is not very popular in Japan and the Wii lost support from Nintendo a LONG time ago, I am assuming that it would probibly be for the PS3 (preferred for this anyway).

I have thought about Record of Argarest War (Zero), Trinity Universe, or Hyperdementia Neptunia. I have Valkeria Chronicals, and I already borrowed Ar tonelico Qoga from a friend and kinda liked it, and am looking for more of something VERY different from the standard Western (A)RPG.

Cross Edge, Record of Argarest War (Zero), Trinity Universe, and Hyperdementia Neptunia did not fair too well in reviews, so I am looking or other opinions. Has anyone out there played them and have an opinion or even suggestions?

I do have the standard Tales of Valperia / Symphonia, Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon, and the likes but like I said I am looking for something WAY OUT THERE and still very fun.

Fire away!

Odin Sphere (PS2)? Muramasa (Wii)? Very action oriented but yeah.

Demon's Souls falls under a pretty unique philosophy you don't see in most RPGs, and FFXIII is everything but traditional. Both are pretty mainstream though, not sure if you're looking for unique or just niche titles.

NieR (PS3/360) sounds like what you're looking for. It's an ARPG, its story is definitely out there, the music is incredible, and they do some interesting things with perspective.

Is your PS3 backwards compatible or do you have a PSP? Pick up Persona 4 or Persona 3 Portable. Its half school sim - half hard core jrpg with Monster Rancher-like demon breeding elements.

The answer is Half-Minute Hero on XBLA. It is an amazing game that is unlike anything you played. Go ahead and try the demo

JRPGs went mostly portable this last hardware cycle, way out there or otherwise. So you'd really need a DS/PSP. If only for The World Ends With You. If you can get a hold of a PS2, the Shin Megami Tensei games are way out there but they are not very friendly and probably dont get described as "super fun!"

I guess Disgaea 3/4?

In any case, stay away from anything that Idea Factory has anything to do with.

You have a Wii, you should see if you can get Baten Kaitos for GC. I guarantee it is like nothing you have played before, and the plot while kind of unoriginal overall (but enjoyable) still manages to pull out one of the craziest twists ever (trust me you will not see it coming). If you aren't into complex trading card games don't let that turn you away from Baten Kaitos, the card stuff is a lot more like poker (to make combos at least) than anything else.

[quote name='icebeast']You have a Wii, you should see if you can get Baten Kaitos for GC. I guarantee it is like nothing you have played before, and the plot while kind of unoriginal overall (but enjoyable) still manages to pull out one of the craziest twists ever (trust me you will not see it coming). If you aren't into complex trading card games don't let that turn you away from Baten Kaitos, the card stuff is a lot more like poker (to make combos at least) than anything else.[/QUOTE]

I keep wanting to play that game since so many people talk about the story but man, that card based battle system always puts me off.

Here's a couple good image of some of the more out there places in Baten Kaitos:
830px-Parnasse.jpg

Reverence.jpg

WAZN.jpg

[quote name='Vinny']I keep wanting to play that game since so many people talk about the story but man, that card based battle system always puts me off.[/QUOTE]

Like I said, the combat really isn't that different from standard RPG combat but with the addition of making poker hands to do additional damage/healing, so you try and get like a pair, or three of a kind, or 2 pair, or a straight, etc...

For the most part you don't have to worry too much about making a deck other than putting in your best attack cards and defense items and sprinkle in some healing items (although some healing items spoil without warning making the card do different stuff which was odd).

I totally recommend Baten Kaitos to anyone who enjoys JRPGs, it's seriously a very overlooked gem (I think the card stuff just scared a lot of Westeren gamers off).

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='pete5883']NieR (PS3/360) sounds like what you're looking for. It's an ARPG, its story is definitely out there, the music is incredible, and they do some interesting things with perspective.[/QUOTE]
An evil god/fifty story tall woman made out of stone and a fire-breathing dragon accidentally teleport themselves from their fantasy universe into the real world. They then engage in a dance-off to the death in the middle of Tokyo.

Winner gets killed by a fighter jet.

Shame Cavia couldn't quite get gameplay down.

[quote name='The Crotch']An evil god/fifty story tall woman made out of stone and a fire-breathing dragon accidentally teleport themselves from their fantasy universe into the real world. They then engage in a dance-off to the death in the middle of Tokyo.

Winner gets killed by a fighter jet.

Shame Cavia couldn't quite get gameplay down.[/QUOTE]
So the LP Archive's NIER entry isn't kidding when they basically say that it's the spiritual successor to Drakengard...

Gwah? The Dark Id did a Nier LP? HOLY SHIT MUST READ NAO!

That guy suffers so much for our enjoyment. His RE4 LP was the first I ever read. I just wish I'd seen his Drakengard before I picked it up. fuck that game.

JRPGs really haven't evolved much this generation, it's very depressing. Probably the most innovated and unique JRPG experience of the last few years would have to be the Persona series. But like a lot of people have commented already JRPG's took to the portable direction. I don't play portable game much so I'm not the best on that subject.

But it sounds like you want to play something on a console. Game's like Record of Agarest War, Trinity Souls, Disgea, etc. are pretty standard when it comes to Strategy RPGs. They're very very Japanese but not really anything unique or new.

Half Minute Hero was mentioned and I agree the demo's worth a shot. Nier was also mentioned, that might be an idea. Ateiler Totori just came out on the PS3. Another extremely Japanesey girly RPG but I don't know much about the gameplay.

Sorry it's a bit difficult to recommend something since we all probably have different ideas of what we consider "way out there."

[quote name='Rodimus']
Sorry it's a bit difficult to recommend something since we all probably have different ideas of what we consider "way out there."[/QUOTE]

I am looking for something that is the farthest from a Western ARPG as possible. I really like the turn based battle system but not ruling out other things if they are good.

Some examples of the things that I am looking for in a story line are Ar Tonelico Qoga, or even Trinity Universe or Hyperdemention Neptunia. I like the premise of these games, minus the creepy under age girls thing, but I get the reasons behind it, and really like the concept of them going out on a limb and trying something completely bizar for a US release.
Something that Western style companies would not dream of touching with a 10 metre pole.
Something that would set my world on it's ear.
Something that is mature enough to push the envelope of "normalcy" but not cross the lines of legality.
But, they must be decent to play. Like I said before about the games I listed above, I really like the premise of these and "get" the Japanese cultural references that are lying behind some of the things that turn people away. But, they were not reviewed very well and I am not sure if that is because of the reviewers, or if the games were really that bad. Maybe a little of both.
I am looking for bold and innovative. At least as far as for a US release. (but if i remember correctly, the PS3 is not region locked)

[quote name='The Crotch']
Gwah? The Dark Id did a Nier LP? HOLY SHIT MUST READ NAO!

That guy suffers so much for our enjoyment. His RE4 LP was the first I ever read. I just wish I'd seen his Drakengard before I picked it up. fuck that game.
[/QUOTE]
Yup. Haven't read any of it past the intro (yet) since I hope to play NIER sometime.

My favorite of The Dark Id's LPs is the one for Chrono Cross; it helps that, the great music notwithstanding, I can't stand that game ;)

[quote name='WonkyToad']I am looking for bold and innovative. At least as far as for a US release. (but if i remember correctly, the PS3 is not region locked)[/QUOTE]
I haven't played any of the NIS-published games you listed, and I might not be the best person to recommend stuff to you since I'm not too fond of Gust, but I love a good quirky JRPG, so here goes...

If PC games are okay, there are some short humor/parody indie J-style RPGs made by Westerners that have been well-recieved. Barkley, Shut Up & Jam: Gaiden is awesomely funny. Breath of Death VII and Cthulhu Saves the World, both made by Zeboyd, are also on XBLA and supposed to be good.

Thanks to certain economic and technological factors, many of the better experimental JRPGs nowadays are on handhelds, as has been mentioned before. Some recommendations:
- Don't have a PSP, but I will second the rec for The World Ends With You, which is one of the best games of any kind on the DS.
- The Etrian Odyssey series is pretty samey between installments, but the basic premise of a first-person dungeon crawler where you have to draw your own maps is addictive. They are also generally more difficult than your average JRPG.
- Knights in the Nightmare is in my backlog; it's sort of an RPG/SHMUP hybrid and it's supposed to be really good. It's also on PSP, IIRC.
- Rondo of Swords is a Fire Emblem-esque TRPG with a unique stylus-based battle system.
- Rune Factory is a major favorite of mine; it's a Harvest Moon spinoff with hack-and-slash dungeon crawling. There's also underage-looking anime girls a plenty (for the dating sim aspects), but unless they really bug you, it doesn't detract from the overall enjoyment. Aside from the main series on DS, there are other installments on the Wii and (soon) the PS3.
- Finally, Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes. It's Western-made, but it's also one of the most JRPG-like WRPGs I have ever seen. The game style is a puzzle/TRPG hybrid. For the record, the only WRPGs I like are Diablo clones, and I thought Clash of Heroes was pretty good, not to mention unique.

While not really an RPG insomuch as just a weird game that received a U.S. release, I would suggest Catherine.

One part puzzle game, one part anime movie w/ morality choices you have to make throughout and completely and totally awesome throughout.

[quote name='pete5883']NieR (PS3/360) sounds like what you're looking for. It's an ARPG, its story is definitely out there, the music is incredible, and they do some interesting things with perspective.[/QUOTE]

I second NieR. It's one of the more memorable games I've ever played. The music is simply breath taking and the characters/story even made me cry a few times.

I liked Baiten Kaitos too. Couldn't finish it though.
The World Ends With You on :ds: was one of the more 'out there' things I've played lately.

I'd like to try any of the :ps3: RPGs but I can never find em anywhere sub-$60.

bread's done
Back