Just bought a 360 and already having problems...

levi333

CAGiversary!
Feedback
99 (99%)
I decided to take the plunge today and bought myself a new premium bundle.
Havnt bought any games yet so i hooked it up and started a new Halo 2 game.
Hooked up through the composite cables it came with (no HDTV for a couple weeks). Everything looked fine, but after about 20 minutes the picture suddenly went all fuzzy and distorted, like bad reception from an antenna. I could still play it, and the sound was fine, but you couldnt really see much.
I hit the big button in the middle of the controller and exited to the dashboard but it still looked the same. Only restarting the system fixed it. Now its done it two more times in the last hour and a half or so.

Anybody ever had this problem? Think its the cable or the actual system?
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Is it connected to Xbox Live? Halo 2 required a backwards compatability download to fix some minor bugs with it. At least, that's my guess.

Now it happens almost immediately after the Halo 2 gameplay starts. The last 2 times i tried to continue playing, the screen went all crazy within 20 seconds of starting to actually play.
Im going to try leaving it at the dashboard, and see if it screws around then.

I really hope i dont have to exchange it. Bought it at a Sears about 45min away. And my local Sears doesn't carry videogames.

[quote name='mmn']Is it connected to Xbox Live? Halo 2 required a backwards compatability download to fix some minor bugs with it. At least, that's my guess.[/QUOTE]

No, i have not connected to Live yet. Maybe i can give that a try, if i can figure it out...

See, since its not happening on the dashboard, and you haven't tried it with a 360 game yet, I have to assume its Halo 2 thats causing the problem. Hopefully you can get it on Live so it can download the update.

My 360 downloaded updates immediately after I imported my Gamertag .
I hope that's the problem .

Good Luck . Hopefully you won't need it .

check the a/v cable connector thing on your 360 and test on both hdtv and tv since you say you connected it through composite but you said you dont have hdtv for a few weeks?

Seems like a problem with the Halo 2 emulation... Also though make sure the cable's switch is set to SDTV and not HDTV, I think SDTV is default anyhow and that's probably not the issue, but who knows.

Got online, downloaded some updates. Seemed like it helped, but after trying to connect to Live at another place in my house, got the distortion at the dashboard too! This time it looks different though, it round instead of straight lines, and its moving around the screen. Almost looks like some sort of screen saver, but i really dont know.

Very frustrating. First time ive EVER had a problem with a game console, and ive had at least 20 different consoles.

[quote name='levi333']Got online, downloaded some updates. Seemed like it helped, but after trying to connect to Live at another place in my house, got the distortion at the dashboard too! This time it looks different though, it round instead of straight lines, and its moving around the screen. Almost looks like some sort of screen saver, but i really dont know.

Very frustrating. First time ive EVER had a problem with a game console, and ive had at least 20 different consoles.[/quote]
Well I've had problems with live being slightly glitchy and I just bought my consul recently also. There is a screen saver option, you could always disable it and make sure that your controller is working properly, if the 360 is losing contact with it (little quarter light goes out or starts circling) that can create some pausing problems.

[quote name='Beana Blasta']If you pee on it, just a little, it should fix the problem[/QUOTE]

Thanks! THat worked!

But seriously, its going back tomorrow. Luckily Sears is good about standing behind thier products.

Thanks for trying all.

Returned it this morning for a new one.
Been playing it for a few hours with no problems. Now to decide if that 2 year warranty is worth the $60.

Glad to hear you got it worked out. I got a system that wouldn't play games from the moment I hooked it up and Blockbuster gave me the run-around trying to return it. After a call to the district manager and 2 days of waiting, I got a new system. So far, I feel very cursed in getting defective systems. Bad dreamcast, 2 bad PS2's, a bad Xbox, and now a bad Xbox 360. Those defective rates of like 1 1/2% are such b.s.

bread's done
Back