Just bought the CD-i Zeldas for $5 each

rapsodist

CAGiversary!
Feedback
6 (100%)
A guy in my neighborhood posted an ad on Craigslist selling all his CD-i games --all complete, good condition-- for $5 apiece. He had Link: The Faces of Evil and Zelda: The Wand of Gamelon so I picked them up right away for a total of $10. I'm not even sure if I overpaid or underpaid but I just wanted to complete my Zelda collection!

Unfortunately, I have no CD-i system to play these games. Then again, given the reviews I've read, perhaps it's fortunate. Nevertheless, the guy was selling his system for $30. I couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger on that, but I'm still thinking about calling him back and bargaining for it.

I'd say that's great you got the games, but then again, I've heard how horrible they are.

Calling him back to bargain would probably be the best way to go. Maybe try and talk him down to $20?

I haven't played the Zelda games (except for 5 minutes at Macy's) but I thought some of the CD-I games were fun for their time like Mystic Midway. If you can get the system for a decent price I would get it

You got had.

53650.jpg

I'm in ur CDi, stealin ur fun!

Is emulation out of the question? Someone might have created a CD-I emulator for the computer that could run the games... would be a cheap way for you to get a glimpse of why those games get such a horrible stigma

That is totally awesome and I wish to steal those games from you. They are worth playing for their shear campiness and awesomely bad endings. I enjoy them a hell of a lot more than Ocarina and Wind Waker.

Of all the people who will rag you for this, realize that they never will have a chance to play it and just parrot what they hear on the interwebs.

oh my god i hate you for buying those tainted things. little do you know those games are cursed, and will spread their foulness to all games in the vicinity. then you will start wondering WHY YOU MUST CRY, and will take them to the MONTGOMERY FLEA MARKET at the MINI...MMMAWLLLL to be rid of them.

i am never stopping by your place again, lest my eyes be burned away by looking upon the vile mutant link.

OH MY GOD...were those the actual CD-I Zelda/Link game endings???

Those cartoon cutscenes looked like those horrible 70's animations aka Saturday TV Funhouse or whatever the hell they were called.

Wow. After watching those clips, I'm going to say don't waste your money buying the system, and don't waste your time playing the games. Just saying you own them should make you feel dirty!

[quote name='Pijaibros']That is totally awesome and I wish to steal those games from you. They are worth playing for their shear campiness and awesomely bad endings. I enjoy them a hell of a lot more than Ocarina and Wind Waker.

Of all the people who will rag you for this, realize that they never will have a chance to play it and just parrot what they hear on the interwebs.[/quote]

NAILED IT.

I thought that there was one of these that was actually not as terrible as it was made out to be.. maybe the Zelda one? As in it was a playable game, pretty average for 16 bit platformers. The animation is horrid, though. And it makes me laugh at how ganon dies after throwing one item at him..

They're pretty bad games. However, the third Zelda game on the system, Zelda's Adventure, where you play as Zelda from an overhead perspective, is much better (although I wouldn't say very good either).

Their collectors, i'd just keep them and never play them. Everytime I see the CD-I endings again I swear they get worse, it's so damn bad.

Btw, speaking in a very hypothetic situation does Phillips still have the ability to use Nintendo characters for their system? Imagine if they did a console with say sony or MS and they were able to make Zelda for their systems..

[quote name='karkyco']OH MY GOD...were those the actual CD-I Zelda/Link game endings???

Those cartoon cutscenes looked like those horrible 70's animations aka Saturday TV Funhouse or whatever the hell they were called.[/QUOTE]

Saturday Supercade.

Thing is, I'm a sucker for anything that's "so bad it's good." I don't know if those videos that projecteightysix posted have dissuaded me or encouraged me!

I figure that bad games probably aren't as enjoyable as bad movies or bad songs --I never really enjoyed The Crow: City of Angels or Bad Boys: Miami Takedown-- but I'm going to give that seller another call about his CD-i.

They say curiosity killed the cat but I say it had eight lives to spare.

Plus it'll be fun to torture batmundo next time he comes over.

The zelda games are pretty bad. I played and beat "faces of evil". What you can't see in those videos is how bad the controls are. I would buy the system and the game laser lords. It is pretty good.

wow those endings were so corny i had to watch the entire thing. I don't blame ya for picking them up maybe they will be worth something....someday.

[quote name='rapsodist']Thing is, I'm a sucker for anything that's "so bad it's good." I don't know if those videos that projecteightysix posted have dissuaded me or encouraged me!

I figure that bad games probably aren't as enjoyable as bad movies or bad songs --I never really enjoyed The Crow: City of Angels or Bad Boys: Miami Takedown-- but I'm going to give that seller another call about his CD-i.

They say curiosity killed the cat but I say it had eight lives to spare.

Plus it'll be fun to torture batmundo next time he comes over.[/quote]

Too true, it's the unintentional comedy factor

well, the good thing is that after you've had you're fill of having your brain sodomized by these abominations, you can make a healthy profit on ebay with them....to some guy who's going to pay even more to have his brain sodomized.

This just goes to show that there are some awesome IP's with serious potential out there that have or had been mishandled in the past. Just think if CD-i were the original company to come up with zelda the whole series wouldnt exist today most likely and we would miss things like TP and OOT.

If they were to get into the right developers hands think of what games we be playing.

bread's done
Back