Just Cause 2 - what the f*** am I doing wrong?

teknikalei

CAGiversary!
Feedback
39 (100%)
Hi-

I'm risking some serious embarrassment here, but I am starting to get frustrated with this game, and I've been looking forward to playing it since I heard Cheapy and the guys talk about it on the podcast a couple months ago.

My problem is, I can't figure out how to move around very well. I can see I need to get on top of stuff, and obviously I've figured out how to fire the grapple, but is there some way of reeling the goddamn thing in that I'm missing? I've checked walkthroughs, the manual (imagine that), but all it says is: "When the Grappling hook is attached to a fixed surface, you are automatically reeled in." Oh really? Then why the fuck does my character stand there with his arm in the air doing absolutely nothing? Am I pointing the stupid grapple at the wrong spot or what? I have tried quite a few different places, and it's driving me nuts.

All the cool shit I hear I can do in this game, and I can't even scale a fucking building. Good lord.

So I guess you guys can see why I'm embarrassed. I am obviously doing something wrong, I just don't know what.

I'm willing to take my lumps for being a moron, I just want to enjoy this fucking game before I throw my controller at a wall. :bomb:

Thanks in advance...

You just aim your crosshair at a wall or floor something, and tap the grapple button. The thing extends and, attaches to the wall, and you Rico reels himself to the wall. If the wall or floor or whatever is too far, it won't reach, obviously. Check to see that you have a little box that shows up around your crosshair, since that's a good indicator to whether you're too far from reeling yourself in.

So yes, there's really nothing to it. For the most part, I you can grapple just about any solid surface. If it's still not working, try restarting the game / console as the problem could be a temporary glitch.

I found this hard too make sure you are just tapping it and not holding the button. If you hold the button it will try to do the "dual hook". I had this same problem which is making me wait for a significant price drop to buy this game.

Thanks guys, I figured it out. I *was* holding down the L1 button, instead of just tapping. Once I figured it out I was good to go. This game looks really fun, and I'm glad I asked here and kept at it.

Sometimes it's just the little things in a game that hang me up. Thankfully I figured it out.

Oh, and thanks Bjstucker for letting me know I'm not the only one. I was feeling slightly... inadequate, to say the least.

If you hit the parachute button while zipping around, you'll launch into the air and can use the grapple to gain momentum to stay in the air.

I'm almost 100 hours in now (sheesh, :joystick:) and just over 75% of the way through, doing all of the Stronghold take overs and whatnot, after getting 100% on all of the locations in the game (which is what took so long, 369 places is waaay too many) But I'm enjoying it, and I'll probably get my first (and probably only) Platinum in this game since it's not impossible to get it, if I didn't enjoy it enough I wouldn't bother (as I usually don't)

But yeah OP, I still screw it up from time to time, (throw a grenade, when I mean to grapple something) as you play you'll get used to the intricacies of the grapple, but it takes some time to get used to the controls is all.

bread's done
Back