Just got a NES, lite blue blink screen = new 72 pin?

LilPaintballer

CAGiversary!
Feedback
70 (100%)
So, I just got a NES, I never had one, I was born in the 90s, so i jumped right into the genesis and snes. Anyway, i just got it today and 9 games with it. At first none of the games worked, they all brought up a blinking light blue screen, then i tryed Mike Tyson's it was the only one that worked without any adjustment, so I retried the others and began adjusting them, after some play they all began to work, except Tecmo Bowl, ill keep trying on this one. So, is the end all fix for this a new 72 pin connector? Or am I stuck here playing with the games, not like its a big deal, but itd be convenient to just put it in and play.

A new 72 pin would most likely help, but like you have experienced, most games will work with a combination of blowing into the cartridges and repeat tries.

If you don't want to replace the 72 pin but want to play the games flawlessly, you could always find a top loader (Another type of NES system. Think of it as the PS3 slim is to the fat PS3). They work without much hassle, but they also cost more.

You have to clean the games. Grab some Q-tips and alcohol and clean the contacts. I still do recommend getting a new 72 pin. I fixed many systems like this and they work like brand new after you replace them.

Don't blow into them, take the time to clean them. It might be surprising how filthy they can get. If most of them are working without much hassle, the connector's probably fine. Still, it's a cheap and easy fix to get your NES working like new.

Its working great now, maybe it wasnt used in a while and needed to be broken in, whether it was magic or something, its working. Fine in my book

Try this:

(1) Get the game that you want to play, and a second cart.
(2) Put the game in, and press it down.
(3) Now, press it again, as if you were going to remove it, but don't let it up...
(4) Now, take the second cart, and put it in, above the cartridge. If you look
inside, there is a silver looking bar that is almost touching the face of the cartridge.
The second cart will rest on top of that silver bar.

My brother figured this trick out some years ago. One problem is that if you don't
place the second cartridge in correctly, it may pop out. What might work best is
to find something that is the same thickness as a cart, and use that. If you find
something, please, let us know.

============================

NO BLOWING!!!

The moisture in your breath may lead to oxidation (copper turning green).

If you want to blow the dust off, get one of those "cans of air". I guess that
the moisture may help current to flow, but it will lead to oxidation.

Have fun.

bread's done
Back