Just got a netbook! Suggestions to maximize its potential?

david12795

CAGiversary!
Feedback
17 (100%)
ive been looking for a netbook FOREVER and finally i managed to get one at target (woke up at 7 am to get ready). i knew i was going for the acer. however. i ran into another unexpectant netbook on clearance as well. it was an HP mini ! it was only about $25-30 dollars more. but i knew i had to get both since i didnt know how to compare them, and they were on clearance anyway, so why not? anyways let me know which brand i should've gone with. here are the specs between them:

acer:
http://www.bestnetbooksreview.com/acer-aspire-one-d255e-netbook-with-atom-dual-core-n550.html

hp mini 210 1171 (or 1100 it says on the computer)

http://www.overstock.com/Electronic...ook-PC-Atom-N455-1.66GHz/5212010/product.html

andddd i have pick the HP. only difference i could make out between them was HP had a 6-cell battery. hope i made the right decision. not sure what to do with the acer now, but im probably gonna resell it since im near as broke as a joke :cry:

so what suggestions do you guys have for what i can do to make this netbook fast ? aside from throwing in a ram? do you guys recommend newegg for deals? im not exactly tech savvy when it comes to netbooks (or installing computer hardware)

The Acer seems to have a dual-core processor, and the HP doesn't. That would make the Acer the more powerful machine right off the bat. Both have only 1 GB RAM, which is quite underpowered, even by netbook standards. I would pop out that 1 GB stick and replace it with a 2 GB stick at your earliest convenience.

The only thing I have done with my netbook is get 2 GB of RAM which pacific said to do, other than that mine runs fine and I use it for everything

According to the Acer link you included, it says it has a 6-cell battery as well. Unless your box says otherwise? Regardless, the Acer has a dual core processor and the HP only has a single core processor. The Acer computer looks like the correct choice to me. Best way to improve performance on a netbook is to upgrade to an SSD. Considering you sound strapped for cash though, this probably wouldn't be practical. Upgrading your Ram to 2GB would probably be the most sensible thing to do, as it would be fairly cheap and it would give you a decent performance jump. If you have a choice, keep the Acer and get rid of the HP. That is just my opinion though.

Edit: Both computers list 1GB as the max ram supported. It doesn't look like it is going to be possible to upgrade your ram.

Disable all of the startup programs that load automatically..everything except your antivirus/firewall. That's always the first thing I do. If you've got 2GB of ram, you might also disable the paging file. It should improve performance and be less stressful on the hard drive.

bread's done
Back