Just got a PS3... now what?

rumarudrathas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Okay, I just got a ps3 recently (it's the 4-usb 60gb model), and I'm currently at a lost on what games to get for it.

The problem is that I also own a Xbox 360 (my Fiance owns a Wii), and most games that I wanted to play on the PS3 is also available for the 360...

So, being a (especially) broke college student on a near-shoestring budget, what games should I get for the PS3 that is either a.) an system exclusive, either disc-based or PSN; b.) plays far superior on the ps3 vs. the 360 or c.) the game is cheaper for the ps3 vs the 360.

I currenly own LittleBigPlanet, Resistance, and Street Fight 2 Turbo for the ps3. I'm interested in checking our Warhawk, since I'm completely addicted to CoD4 on the 360, but I fear that such an old game may not have a large online community as say... Halo 3 or GoW on the 360. (Note: this comparison may not be appropriate, virtue of the fact that those 2 games are on a different system).

My friend is lending me his copy of MSG4 and I'm looking forward to it, even though I'm not a raving fan of the series.

One more thing, I'm also thinking about exchanging my DS lite (once I find it) for a PSP 3k... just so I could play Crisis Core and that Final Fantasy fighting game

Last edited by a moderator:
Valkyria Chronicles is good.

Don't get Warhawk. I thought it would be decent but it's pretty terrible IMO.

Ratchet and Clank Future is good as well and can be had for 19.99 at Radio Shack Clearance.

Also MGS4 is an 18 hour movie. Its a decent flick but don't be too excited.

Watch Blu-Rays or play LBP or Rock Band. That's all I do with mine. Literally. I only use it for those 2 games or movies.

PS3 plays games? I always thought it was a neat gadget to play Blu-Ray movies, thats all I use it for (had my PS3 for a year and played only MGS4 and Resistance on it, and both were a big let down)

If you're a baseball fan, definitely get MLB 08 The Show. Uncharted is also good, as well as Ninja Gaiden Sigma.

[quote name='munch']Enjoy Blu Ray movies![/QUOTE]

My buddies and I still laugh about one day I'll a game for my Blu Ray player. :)
It's good hardware, just all of the games I play are either on Wii or 360.

ignore the trolls.
if you're broke and want something to play the PSN has a lot of good options.
personally i recommend Uncharted. to date it's my favorite PS3 exclusive.

I liked Uncharted even though it started off slow. MGS4 is a good game but the cutscenes may get to you since you were not a fan of the others. For PSN the last guy is a pretty fun game. Check out some demos of the exclusives before buying since your a college student on a budget like me.

[quote name='odintal']ignore the trolls.
if you're broke and want something to play the PSN has a lot of good options.
personally i recommend Uncharted. to date it's my favorite PS3 exclusive.[/QUOTE]

I second this, ignore the trolls..theres some good games on PS3, Uncharted would be my top choice too...

First thing you should do is brag on how much of a baller you are for buying a really expensive console, and in the spring cry yourself to sleep when I get one of these for 100-200$ cheaper. lol. Seriously sounds like a waste if most of the games you like are multi-platform.

[quote name='smarkbran']First thing you should do is brag on how much of a baller you are for buying a really expensive console, and in the spring cry yourself to sleep when I get one of these for 100-200$ cheaper. lol. Seriously sounds like a waste if most of the games you like are multi-platform.[/quote]

Naw... it just reminds me that there's a good chance that a bonafide drug addiction might be cheaper than a bonafide video game addiction. I mean seriously, I'm one of the prime examples why college students should never have access to credit cards

As for the price drop that might be coming, yeah, I'm kicking myself on the ass for that one if it comes true :cry:

no offense at all here, but if you are a broke college student, wouldnt it have been better to keep the cash rather then buying a ps3 since you allready have a 360?
as for cheap games yea like others said PSN. just thoughts...just thoughts.

oh and on another note crisis core for psp was a very good game in my opinion, though a bit on the short side but eh its psp so cant expect to long a game anyway.

I would definitely get Metal Gear Solid 4, Uncharted, and Resistance + Resistance 2

or if you can wait till next month check out Killzone 2 (which i am dying to play myself)
the demo should be in the UK store soon (btw you dont have to live in the UK to get access to the UK store ;) just make a new email address and make an account, you can also do this for all the other PSN stores also )

the languages change for the Hong Kong store and Japanese store so you will have to find a tutorial that will translate the menus for you from google (not hard to find)

[quote name='crzyjoeguy']no offense at all here, but if you are a broke college student, wouldnt it have been better to keep the cash rather then buying a ps3 since you allready have a 360?
as for cheap games yea like others said PSN. just thoughts...just thoughts.

oh and on another note crisis core for psp was a very good game in my opinion, though a bit on the short side but eh its psp so cant expect to long a game anyway.[/quote]

Heh, none taken.

And to answer your question, it's because for one, I'm an idiot, and for two, I like shiny toys. :D

Warhawk is worth checking out - it's a very hectic game but if you don't mind that then it can be a lot of fun. As for your concern about the community size, the good thing about the game is that you can jump into a match already going on, so it'll be faster to get in on a game with an open slot as opposed to waiting while in a matchmaking system on Halo 3, GoW 2 or CoD 4.

Resistance 2 has an amazing online mode if you like first person shooters. Graphics aren't amazing but the gameplay is.

If you're low on cash I advise joining a PSN sharing group. Pickup some PSN games for 1/5th the price. Pixel Junk Monsters/Eden, Wipeout HD and Crash Commando are what I've been hooked onto recently.

[quote name='rumarudrathas']Heh, none taken.

And to answer your question, it's because for one, I'm an idiot, and for two, I like shiny toys. :D[/QUOTE]

lol, awesome answer

Grab Uncharted.

Otherwise...Heavenly Sword? Though that's short, so it'd prolly be best to rent it. MGS4 was fine. LBP can be fun.

Pretty much what others have already said.

I say play through the games you have in possession first. Don't overwhelm yourself with a bunch of new games. Street Fighter 2 easily keeps me occupied and content. I admit, I got too many ps3 games and I am unable to play them all.

Right now, I'm trying to keep the mentality of getting games I know for sure I will have time to play. It's kinda hard trying to resist some of these ps3 game deals, at least clearanced items (my biggest weakness) are pretty slow as of late.

[quote name='Richlough']Get Unchrarted , Warhawk blows unless you like the very first Battlefield game still .[/quote]

+1
i bought warhawk off the PSN store when it was first released and only played it a few times. The ground combat and ground vehilces were ok, but i really didnt like the warhawks (which was pretty much the whole concept of the game lol). I guess I fell into all the hype that was going around at the time
I regret spending that $30 to this day >_

I really enjoy Warhawk myself, never had a problem getting into a match, and you really can't go wrong with Pixeljunk Eden...

Play multi-platform on 360.

Rent basically all the PS3 exclusives. I could've saved myself some dough if I hadn't bought Genji, Resistence, MGS4 and the like (although I didn't pay much).

Buy Blu-Rays (best part about the PS3)

[quote name='pimpinc333']
Ratchet and Clank Future is good as well and can be had for 19.99 at Radio Shack Clearance.[/QUOTE]

I also recommend Ratchet and Clank Future Tools of Destruction.That game was a lot of fun.

MSG4 is pretty good, but if you're a pretty decent gamer you could probably just rent it and beat it instead of buying (I ended up playing it through once and stopped about a fourth way through the 2nd time). Mine is spent either playing movies now or RB2 (thank you TRU lol) and SFIV next month. LBP seemed okay to me, even though it has multiplayer it didn't wow me like Galaxy or Zelda, LBP would probably be worth it if it was only 20 but definitely not 60.

honestly, the only game i've ever liked on the ps3 is resistance

the second one doesn't have the same type of offline co-op

everyone uses the ps3 to just play live and madden....mainly because of being scared to try it on the 360 (controller fears)

[quote name='strongpimphand']honestly, the only game i've ever liked on the ps3 is resistance

the second one doesn't have the same type of offline co-op

everyone uses the ps3 to just play live and madden....mainly because of being scared to try it on the 360 (controller fears)[/quote]

Controller fears? IMO the 360 controller is a better fit than the DS3 (At least for me). It seems like the triggers (L and R 2) cramp my hand.

As for games: If your low on cash, play the games you have until you finish them, then wait for deals on the games you are looking for.

I personally LOVE warhawk. The action is hectic, but rewarding. Also uncharted has been mentioned a couple of times, I'm playing through it now for the first time and its very enjoyable.

Rum, ignore all the trolls in here; you're a broke college student but were able to snag the best PS3 out there meaning you know how to save money or came across a really good deal. Either way, good job.

For games, if you can connect to the Internets, I would say Warhawk is decent but is VERY fast paced and you may get frustrated. CoD4 is good, but that can be had on the 360 (in that same vein, Battlefield:Bad Company is a great MP game as well). Some say SOCOM is decent, but I've also heard that it should be avoided in its current state.

One thing to note, lots of us on CAG are multi-consoled (PS3/360) and we grab multi-console games for each system. Don't shy away from buying the PS3 version of a game because it's available for the 360; a deal is a deal, you just have more options now.

Keep in mind that with your 60GB system, you can go back and play some awesome PS2 games that you may have overlooked, and most likely for CHEAP. That may suffice until you start raking in the dough.

IMO, Warhawk is a very high quality game. Very well balanced and there are many ways to play it. It also enjoys excellent support by the developer and the community.

Other than what was already mentioned, I also highly recommend R&C:ToD and Folklore, and the following PSN games: Super Stardust HD, Calling All Cars, and The Last Guy

[quote name='rumarudrathas']I'm interested in checking our Warhawk, since I'm completely addicted to CoD4 on the 360[/QUOTE]

i love COD4, but couldn't really get into Warhawk. it was just cartoony, and the controls weren't as smooth as COD4. after playing a couple matches with the planes in Warhawk, i had my fill of getting killed 30 times to my 1 or 2 times i miraculously managed to hit another plane.

Warhawk is polarizing. It's a 3PS with vehicles. And it's very skill based. Hence the newbie servers and tutorials. Still it's pretty popular and a lot of fun.

where are these newbie servers? it seemed like i got thrown right into it right off the bat. playing against people that obviously had a lot more experience than i did.

[quote name='bendeco45']where are these newbie servers? it seemed like i got thrown right into it right off the bat. playing against people that obviously had a lot more experience than i did.[/quote]
Look for the Rookie servers, those are ones you'll typically last longer than veteran matches. I'm not saying that you still won't get frustrated, but there are a higher percentage of newer players so it makes for decent learning ground. The one thing that I don't like about Warhawk is that the maps are the exact same from either side. I guess I've been spoiled by the likes of Counter Strike, Battlefield, CoD4, R6:Vegas, etc. where the maps aren't half of the map duplicated to the other side.

[quote name='CrimsonPaw']Look for the Rookie servers, those are ones you'll typically last longer than veteran matches. I'm not saying that you still won't get frustrated, but there are a higher percentage of newer players so it makes for decent learning ground. The one thing that I don't like about Warhawk is that the maps are the exact same from either side. I guess I've been spoiled by the likes of Counter Strike, Battlefield, CoD4, R6:Vegas, etc. where the maps aren't half of the map duplicated to the other side.[/quote]

I started playing Warhawk about a week ago on the green servers and I haven't had too much trouble acclimating to it. Yesterday I was even at the top of my teams ranks.

Thanks guys. I got to say that this is one of the better video games communities out there, if not the best one!

I played the demo for Valkyria Chronicles, and it totally sold me on the whole "strategy/action" gameplay, not to mention it's really pretty to look at. I've been renting a lot of BD movies lately, and my girl is starting to buy BD movies from walmart (seems to be the cheapest around here).

Uncharted seems to be a favorite, and I'm going to wait and see if there's a pricedrop/sale somewhere for it around my area.

I've been playing some of my old PS2 games on it to tide me over, especially the games that I haven't picked up in a while. Too bad I only have a six-axis controller, and I kinda miss the "rumble", so a DS3 controller is going to be my next big-ish purchase.

LBP is fun for a while, but I don't think it's going to hold my attention for the long term (nothing against the game, guess it's just the type of person that I am)

I heard a lot of good things about Resistance 2 and Killzone 2, I just wish that there are demos for those games that are easily available (though someone told me about the UK PSN account holders having access to it, so I'll look into that).

I really like the PS3, and hell, I might fully convert to PSN gaming and cancel my XBL account (when I finally kick my CoD4 addiction on my 360). So to all that replied, thanks!

I'll be hooking my PS3 up tonight! I only have Uncharted though for now. Ratchet and Clank and MGS4 are on the list. I want to pick up a few blu-ray movies too...

Uncharted and Valkyria Chronicles only good exclusives. ALthough, you mgiht wanna rent Valkyria Chronicles first, since its a strategy game and most people don't like that. Dont play the demo cause it sucks.

I play Warwawk weekly with fellow CAGs, it is still quite fun to me. I would have to say I play more PSN games than I do normal games, I had fun with Fallout 3 but it is a multiplatformer so pick your poison.

If you have friends over, Buzz Quiz TV is fun, as is Singstar. And if you enjoy creating, playing random levels, and having fun Little Big Planet is a good choice. It does help more to play with other people online with that title.

bread's done
Back