Just got an FC Twin! What games should I get?

Mr. Anderson

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Post question. I picked up an awesome little FC Twin system, and there is no better feeling than having the NES games you've had for years work PERFECTLY.

I was naive and let my friend borrow my SNES a while back, and I never saw any of it again. Needless to say, I'm starting from scratch on that collection. He even lost my Mega Man X!

Here are the games I have for the NES:

Gauntlet
Gradius
Paperboy
The Legend of Zelda
Ikari Warriors
Metal Gear
Super Mario Bros.
Super Mario Bros. 2
Castlevania II: Simon's Quest
Xenophobe

I know I need to get a copy of SMB3, but yeah, what else do you guys recommend on both the NES and SNES front?

Last edited by a moderator:
Many people hate Zelda 2, but I love it. It's different compared to any other Zelda, and like a breath of fresh air if you're a fan of the series.

Contra, if you like ripping your hair out. In a good way.

Anything by Color Dreams. I don't think they play on the FC Twin, though, so you're out of luck. Sorry!

I will most definitely look into getting a copy of Zelda II. I've played it before, didn't really seem like my thing, and the local game store has a boxed copy at a ridiculous mark up.

I picked up Metal Gear for the NES today for 20 bucks, then slapped myself when I realized how much the game is actually worth. Just because it's behind glass doesn't mean it's worth paying the premium.

They had River City Ransom for a full $50! Once I saw that, I was like no way...

Oh man. River City Ransom is worth maybe five bucks. Same with Metal Gear. Just because it has the Metal Gear name doesn't mean it's valuable (or any good, ha. Just try getting past the first area.)

If you go poking around on Ebay, there are some deals to be had. Zelda 2 goes for around $5-$10. Don't let anyone tell you that the gold cart is rare. It's way more common than a gray cart.

River City Ransom is well worth $5 or maybe eve $10, just for playability, at least imo. Dr. Mario and Tetris are great if you can get them at reasonable prices.

As for SNES... SMW, SM All-Stars, Mario Kart and Zelda:LTTP are obvious choices. I really dug Final Fight and it's sequels. The sequels are a bit overpriced, imo and maybe hard to find in the wild... I've yet to find either 2 or 3. Populous is a fun, cheap game if you're into strategy. Paperboy 2 is fun, as well.

donkey kong country series are good fun; you can usually get the first one for a few bucks on eBay. True, they are somewhat "kid-ish", but they provide for mindless entertainment (and some of those levels are fucking hard!)

Today I got the urge to play through Shadowgate (NES) again. Still a lot of fun. Recommended if you want a good macabre adventure.

[quote name='theonlinelegend']Not to hijack your thread, but Metal Gear on the NES was a great game. The second MG though was less than desirable.[/QUOTE]

Agree to disagree. The later levels that were based off the MSX version were pretty great, but the beginning levels that are NES exclusive are so broken that it ruins the game.

If you really want to play the first two Metal Gear games in their definitive versions, track down Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence with the online disc.

NES:
Kid Icarus
Mike Tyson's Punch Out
Ninja Gaiden
Star Tropics
Maniac Mansion
Double Dragon III
Contra
Dragon Warrior Games (I-IV)
Final Fantasy
Faxanadu
Kung Fu
Adventures of Lolo

SNES:
Demon's Crest
Super Ghouls N Ghosts
Super Castlevania
Super Metroid
Actraiser
Zombies Ate My Neighbors
Chrono Trigger
Earthbound
FF II
FF III
Secret of Mana
Secret of Evermore
Breath of Fire I and II
7th Saga
Soul Blazer

Super Metroid, Super Metroid, and more Super Metroid. Super Metroid is easily one of the best games available for the SNES, and is still considered to be one of the best side-scrolling platformers every constructed.

For the NES, I would strongly recommend Metal Storm. This is an overlooked Irem side-scrolling shooter. It's "hook" was that the player had the ability to switch the gravity in the game at will. Any gravity-bound enemies would also have their personal polarity flipped when this happened. It was a NES game with excellent graphics, tight controls, and a solid soundtrack.

Batman for the NES was also a suprisingly solid liscenced game. It only loosely adhered to the plot of the first Batman movie. Much more emphasis was placed on the gameplay and level design than staying close to the property it was based on. And this resulted in an entertianing and wickedly difficult game with incredibly responsive controls.

I have to second Kung Fu for the NES. Perfect control makes this port even better than the arcade original.

Super Punch-Out!! and Space Megaforce for the SNES are great games also.

There are so many amazing games, here are some off the top of my head.

(NES)
Mega Man 2
Mega Man 3
Punch Out!
(SNES)
Super Metroid
Super Mario World
Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
Chrono Trigger
Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
Uniracers (Underappreciated but really fun)

Holy crap, I can't believe I forgot to put Mega Man 2 as a game I have! It was bought from a CAG many years ago, but I can finally enjoy all the musical goodness without having to rip my out getting the damn thing to work. I've been playing the crap out of it lately on the Twin. Such an amazing title!

While Final Fantasy VIII has been sucking up much of my gaming time, I also picked up a MINT BOXED Super Castlevania IV at the local retro game shop. I'm pretty much in 2D heaven right now, but keep the suggestions comin'!

I would kill to get a boxed Dragon Warrior IV....

I loved the original megaman, i just beat it recently again :) so much fun but
Nes Games
Batman
Bubble Bobble
Contra
Double Dragon II
Ghost N Goblins
Kirbys Adventure

just a few off the top of my head

You get mad style points for having 2 classic Konami games in your FC twin at one time. Throw Super C and Alien Wars in there or Drac's Curse and Super Castlevania 4.

[quote name='handsome_rakshas']You get mad style points for having 2 classic Konami games in your FC twin at one time. Throw Super C and Alien Wars in there or Drac's Curse and Super Castlevania 4.[/QUOTE]

I would love to get a copy of Castlevania III, but from what I've read, it doesn't work on the Twin. :cry: Too much grafix!

Alien Wars... oh yeah baby.

[quote name='Mr. Anderson']I would love to get a copy of Castlevania III, but from what I've read, it doesn't work on the Twin. :cry: Too much grafix![/QUOTE]

Yep, the magic graphics in the game confuse the FC Twin.:lol:

I can't play it either. I've got a Generation NEX, and it's got the same limitations as the FC Twin. If I want to play it, I've got to drag out my NES.

You guys are right, it starts but dosen't run properly. The only other gameI've seen have graphic problems was Contra Alien Wars. The colors go crazy during the mode 7 boss fights.

bread's done
Back