Just got my 360 back from Microsoft...

Rusty Ghia

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
...due to the infamous Red Ring (which is not really a ring, but whatever) but now I have a new problem. They sent me a different refurbished unit and this 360 makes a grinding sound whenever it stops spinning the DVD. I've checked my game disk and it doesn't appear to be scratched.

Is this grinding sound indicative of a problem? Is this normal with the 360? Should I contact Microsoft and see about getting this "new" 360 fixed?

Any of you guys have any experience with a disk drive that makes grinding sounds?

[quote name='Scorch']My original 360 did that, it stopped reading disks. What's the build date on it?[/QUOTE]

05/29/2006

It doesn't seem to scratch the game, so if I were to contact Microsoft I'm assuming they would charge me money to fix since it's not really doing anything...yet.

My 5th system back from Microsoft did this, quite annoying. About 3-4 weeks into using it the drive completely failed and would not read discs at all, would have a hard time ejecting the tray, would grind even more when it tried spinning the disc, though is seemed to grind less horizontally (I keep my system vertical). I had to send it back.

From my understanding the returned systems should have a 90 day warranty on them so that shouldn't be a problem.

I think one of my 360's did that every now and again.

Obviously it eventually died, but that's not because it made the grinding sound, it's because it was an Xbox 360.

My team lead got his back from the RROD and turned it on .... to another RROD. Be glad yours only makes noise and playst the games.

[quote name='Rusty Ghia']05/29/2006

It doesn't seem to scratch the game, so if I were to contact Microsoft I'm assuming they would charge me money to fix since it's not really doing anything...yet.[/quote]

Eh. Ride with it til it dies. I doubt it'll make a year.. that way it'll still be under warranty.

Yeah if its not hurting you disks I'd ride it until just before the warranty expires. Keeps yourself covered as long as possible.

mine did it every once in a while..didnt hurt the disks..never paid much attention.....did eventually get the E74 error but that was prolly from the graphics card or whatever is in it dying

[quote name='klwillis45']Yeah if its not hurting you disks I'd ride it until just before the warranty expires. Keeps yourself covered as long as possible.[/QUOTE]

How long is the warranty? Is it one year or three? Or is the three year warranty only for the RRoD?

I bought mine in April 2006.

bread's done
Back