Just got YLOD on my PS3....any good deals on replacement consoles out there?

alangst

CAGiversary!
So my 60gb original ps3 just got the ylod, and I'm quite bummed. Seems like I can get it fixed by either sony or a 3rd party group for around $150, but I"m thinking I might be better off just getting a new Slim.

Any good deals or bundles out there?

Will I be able to transfer my ps3 account to a new machine?

thanks for any help or suggestions.

[quote name='alangst']So my 60gb original ps3 just got the ylod, and I'm quite bummed. Seems like I can get it fixed by either sony or a 3rd party group for around $150, but I"m thinking I might be better off just getting a new Slim.

Any good deals or bundles out there?

Will I be able to transfer my ps3 account to a new machine?

thanks for any help or suggestions.[/QUOTE]

If you're at all interested, I know how to fix them. I'm fixing a PS3 right now. If it works I'll fix yours for $75: half of what Sony asks!

I'm not sure how long the fix lasts though, you might just be better of getting a slim.

Either pony up to sony if you care about BC or get a new slim.

Japatten your proposed fix is only temporary, I can tell you stuff to make it last longer, but without a true reflow workstation it is only a temp fix.
Ranging from a couple weeks to maybe a few months.

I was in the same boat as you are. My 60 gig died, and i was wondering about fixing it vs buying a slim. I ended up with the slim, mostly because i hadn't played a ps2 game in a year. You can sell the broken system on ebay or trade it in a gamestop to help offset some of the cost. Good luck.

They are in the middle of a model change out, so stock is a bit low.

Your account will work on any PS3. don't forget to register the system so you can download games from PSN account.

Will gamestop give you trade in value for a broken ps3? Any idea how much?

Also, without any must have games coming out soon and the fact that I have a 360/wii to bide my time, should I hold out til after E3 for possible price drops/deals?

My launch 60GB YLOD on me about 6 months ago. I sold the busted unit on Ebay for $80, and ponied up the rest for a slim. Good thing my old PS2 still works...

OP, check the PS3 forum here. Someone posted vids of a fix for this. Sometimes it's temporary, but it's better than having a broken console.

[quote name='bryenfury']Either pony up to sony if you care about BC or get a new slim.

Japatten your proposed fix is only temporary, I can tell you stuff to make it last longer, but without a true reflow workstation it is only a temp fix.
Ranging from a couple weeks to maybe a few months.[/QUOTE]

Sony isn't required to return the same console or even the same model PS3

if its past warranty try fixing it yourself. i did it when my 80g died and now it works great ( fan doesnt kick into high a few mintues after i start playing). if you fix it yourself it will only run you about 40 to 50 bucks for the supplies youll need unless you have them lying around or can borrow them. ( thermal paste, rubbing alcohol, heat gun). there are alot of videos on youtube and ive posted the one i used in the ps3 forum.

[quote name='paddlefoot']Sony isn't required to return the same console or even the same model PS3[/QUOTE]

Back when I sent mine in it was guaranteed that they would send the exact same model back to you. This was only a few months ago, so unless they changed their policy within that time frame, it should still stand.

[quote name='Anhmeister']Back when I sent mine in it was guaranteed that they would send the exact same model back to you. This was only a few months ago, so unless they changed their policy within that time frame, it should still stand.[/QUOTE]

i think what it is is you get the same model ( if you send in a 60gb you get a 60b) you just dont get the sae ps3 that you sent in which is the shit part because you lose all your saves. if you havent been bacing up your saves regularly.

As has been stated earlier, I recommend fixing your system but I also recommend that after you have fixed it, go through, delete useless content such as game ads/videos, demos and buy a new slim and use the Transfer Utility to move all of your data over. It really depends on a few things. 1. Do you want to keep your game save data? 2. Do you need to keep your PS2 BC funtionality? 3. Do you need your memory card slots? For that last question, you can always get a memory card reader and plug that in and a USB hub, as well.

My 60G went YLOD in Feb. Sony offered a trade in for a new 120G model which came out to 158 bucks with shipping. Maybe they still offer this. Other options were Sony fixing my 60G for 149 bucks or an attempt at self fixing the thing (decent youtube vids for this around). I decided just start over with the new 120G. Losing the PS2 ability kinda sucked though.

Well, after checking around my area and finding that ps3 slims are oos everywhere atm, I decided to stop by a tool store, found a heat gun for $13, went to radio shack and got some artic silver for $9, and got to work. The you tube videos really are amazing, and I found a really nice pdf with step by step instructions that made the whole process rather simple (just keep your screws organized). So after a few hours, and about $20, I have working ps3 again.

I used to use my ps3 for FFxi online and leave it on for hours at a time, and I'm guessing that that wasn't too good for the system, so hopefully I can cut down this and extend the life a bit further.

Anyways, thanks for the help and advice, and I'll just be keeping my fingers crossed.

[quote name='alangst']Well, after checking around my area and finding that ps3 slims are oos everywhere atm, I decided to stop by a tool store, found a heat gun for $13, went to radio shack and got some artic silver for $9, and got to work. The you tube videos really are amazing, and I found a really nice pdf with step by step instructions that made the whole process rather simple (just keep your screws organized). So after a few hours, and about $20, I have working ps3 again.

I used to use my ps3 for FFxi online and leave it on for hours at a time, and I'm guessing that that wasn't too good for the system, so hopefully I can cut down this and extend the life a bit further.

Anyways, thanks for the help and advice, and I'll just be keeping my fingers crossed.[/QUOTE]

congrats on the fix man it does feel great to bring one of these old bastards back to life after they die. id really like to know why sony charges 150 to fix them and what they do when they repair them.

bread's done
Back