Just had 400 MS points added to my account?

Yamato

CAGiversary!
Feedback
171 (100%)
So I was browsing the contests forum, and saw something about scoring a free indie game, which lead me to xbox.com to queue it up.

Got to the checkout, and see "410" instead of my usual "10" points. What?

I got to billing.microsoft.com to check it out, and it says that 400 points were added to my account today. Anyone else get some free points?

--I haven't been on LIVE for days, so it wasn't accidentally purchased..and as far as I know, I never was a part of any 'get points back' promotion.

It might be a promo like purchasing all the summer arcade games got you like 400 points back or something similar. I would check your email tied to your xbox live account to double check since they usually email you a verification about either purchasing points or redeeming them.

[quote name='ZerotypeX']It might be a promo like purchasing all the summer arcade games got you like 400 points back or something similar. I would check your email tied to your xbox live account to double check since they usually email you a verification about either purchasing points or redeeming them.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I checked my email, got nothing. Also, never bought any EA DLC from that one promo nor did I buy any of the summer games save for Perfect Dark. Oh well, thought someone else might have had this happen too.

Do you sign up to any of the Live registration giveaways? Specifically the ones where you have to download a free gamerpic to enter.

I did a few of those and got a message from Microsoft saying 200 points have been added to my account. Past tense. It took a good month or so for the points to actually show up.

[quote name='Kerig']Do you sign up to any of the Live registration giveaways? Specifically the ones where you have to download a free gamerpic to enter.

I did a few of those and got a message from Microsoft saying 200 points have been added to my account. Past tense. It took a good month or so for the points to actually show up.[/QUOTE]

Ah! That may be it. I enter a lot of those..no messages from MS though, but the points definitely came from out of no where. Thanks.

I hope you checked to see if they charged your card, just in case. I had a friend whose account was hacked, charged for thousands of MS points, and had the name changed to "UrMomEatzMyPoop".

No cause the Halo 2 emails stated a message would be sent to ya over live. That message had the redeem code.

Wasn't part of the Halo 2 thing, I tried to get a copy for the bonuses but never did. Also, my card wasn't charged. But Metalic, let me know if you figure out where it came from.

Ran into a similar situation last year. 400 points magically showed up in my account with absolutely no indication as to the source. While free points are great and all, it made for a somewhat unsettling experience at the time due to the usual concerns of someone possibly gaining access to my account. Support were of no help, so I changed my login details just to be safe. It wasn't until a few weeks later that I received an e-mail congratulating me on winning one of the countless XBL registration/download point giveaways. Most likely, this is a similar situation, but, if you have a credit card associated with your account, I would suggest double-checking billing over the next few days just to make sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Yamato']Wasn't part of the Halo 2 thing, I tried to get a copy for the bonuses but never did. Also, my card wasn't charged. But Metalic, let me know if you figure out where it came from.[/QUOTE]

If you mean play Halo 2 the last day, I did do that. Ill update if i ever find out where. I did check my card and no charges so its not that :)

I do recall Bungie saying playing Halo 2 the last day will give you a special halo 2 armor pieace for Reach and that you could win "Other" stuff.

I got 400 points as well. No notification of winning any of the contests that you have to download gamerpics for (I got a year of Live from 2K in 08 from the opening weekend of GTA IV and got a message about that.)

I'm thinking it was either that McDonald's promotion where they were giving away points or it was for anyone that logged into XBox Live on Halo 2 (I did it just to download the maps) or any other XBox original game (downloaded any content for any game I had.)

what's the MS site where you can check your purchase/point history? I don't keep that close attention to my points so now I'm curious about mine.

Had this happen to me before, didn't have a CC attached to my account so I assumed it was one of those contests, so that might be what it is. That being said, no extra points are showing up for me. Never remember getting an email about it either.

Yeah I also had 400pts added to my account. I'm not sure why. I never got the Halo 2 codes, but in March I did buy perfect dark and download game room, so maybe that was it?

i also got 400, was a 820, wanted 400 more for toy soldiers, and i guess microsoft read my mind and just gave them to me!

bread's done
Back