Just some questions.

figcoinc

CAGiversary!
Feedback
34 (100%)
Well I just got a DS Lite. I haven't opened it up yet. Though I picked up a couple games and figured I'd ask people to comment on my choices. Also to answer a couple questions.

1) How is my starting line up of games?
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin
Super Mario 64 DS
Jump Super Stars (Jap. Import)

2) What are some games you recommend playing? I play a little of everything.

3) I got that Gamestop Gift Pack. Comes with screen protectors. Is that really needed? Does the screen scratch that easy?

4) Any special accessory you can recommend? I have so far a car charger, game holder, system holder, earphones and screen protectors.

5) I always liked the Harvest Moon games. For people who played the DS version, any good?

6) I'm in the middle of nowhere but I have wireless broadband. Any DS games I can play online?

Any other positive comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

1) Seems fine. Although I got bored of Super Mario 64 DS pretty fast after I beat it.

2) Elite Beat Agents if you like to use the touch screen. But imo, recommending games is pretty hard because it depends on the person. Just check out game review sites (IGN/1up/Gamespot) and check out the video gameplay footage). You can also borrow friends DS Games and try em.

3) Screen protectors are definitely a must-have. My sister has a DS Lite and she pays Brain Age non-stop and there are scratches on the bottom screen (not notice-able unless put up against a light).

4) Your list seems good so far, I plan to get a Hori Hard case or Compact Lite case soon.

5) I've never played Harvest Moon.

6) There are a couple games that you can play online... Mario Kart DS, Metroid Hunters DS, Tetris DS just to name a few.

//edit//
Forgot to add:
Get a wrist strap. Never know when you'll need it. I happened to get a few extra ones from my Wii Strap replacement orders and I put one on my DS.

Congrats! You shouldn't be disappointed! :D

[quote name='figcoinc']1) How is my starting line up of games?
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin
Super Mario 64 DS
Jump Super Stars (Jap. Import)
[/quote]

Good start. I found Super Mario 64 somewhat difficult to control after using the N64 for so long, but it's fun nonetheless. New Super Mario Bros would have been a better choice. Jump Super Stars is fun if you're really into the anime it represents. PoR and Phoenix Wright are solid games - considered to be in the top games for DS.

[quote name='figcoinc']2) What are some games you recommend playing? I play a little of everything.[/quote]
Tetris
New Super Mario Bros
Metroid Prime Hunters (You might want to try this before you buy.)
Brain Age / Big Brain Academy (Great value!)
Elite Beat Agents
Mario Kart DS
Animal Crossing

If you need an RPG / SRPG / Action RPG - FFIII, Magical Starsign, Rocket Slime, Advance Wars

[quote name='figcoinc']3) I got that Gamestop Gift Pack. Comes with screen protectors. Is that really needed? Does the screen scratch that easy?[/quote]

My first DS had the screen protector and when I finally checked for damage after way too much Trauma Center, it was pristine. A few FAQs on the DS Lite said that the screen protector wasn't necessary and after hundreds (maybe thousands) of hours of use, it's still pristine when clean.

[quote name='figcoinc']4) Any special accessory you can recommend? I have so far a car charger, game holder, system holder, earphones and screen protectors.[/quote]

I bought the extender stylus set as a filler item on Amazon and I love it. I use them exclusively now and have a hard time using the mini-stylus that comes with it. You have everything else you "need."

[quote name='figcoinc']5) I always liked the Harvest Moon games. For people who played the DS version, any good?[/quote]

It is what it is. It's a slightly upgraded GBA quality title. I personally like it a lot but, and I'm not alone with this, find it really annoyingly buggy. It'll freeze, scramble, lose it's save, etc., for no reason at times.

[quote name='figcoinc']6) I'm in the middle of nowhere but I have wireless broadband. Any DS games I can play online?[/quote]

Tetris
Mario Kart DS
Animal Crossing

2) Check the sticky topic ;)
Its not on sticky anymore... I thought that was a good one to sticky!
Anyway the thread is here: [thread]110793[/thread]

Hadn't been updated since early November so I unstuck it.

1. I passed on SMB64. But if you've never played the N64 version it could be good I guess. Don't know much about JSS, but the first two are great.

2. Do a search on gamerankings, DS only, and you'll get a great list of the best games. Constantly updated to boot.

But a few that come to mind are New Super Mario Bros, Kirby Canvas Curse, Dragon Quest Rocket Slime, Yoshi DS, Mario vs. DK, Brain Age. There truly are dozens of great games.

3. Personally I think a screen protector is a very good idea. You are rubbing a stylus on the touch screen constantly with some games. It is going to scratch no matter how careful you are. Won't affect gameplay unless you are a gorilla, but you'll get scratches that show up when the system is off and you look at it in good light. Depends on if that bothers you or not.

4. What you have already should do it.

5. N/A for me.

6. Haven't popped online with it myself, so I'll leave that to others as well.

[quote name='foundation']I bought the extender stylus set as a filler item on Amazon and I love it. I use them exclusively now and have a hard time using the mini-stylus that comes with it. You have everything else you "need."
[/QUOTE]

Are those the styli that extend out longer than the standard ones (but still retract down and fit in the lite's slot)? I've wanted to pick up one of those as my hand will block part of the screen with some games and it just seems like that would be more comfortable.

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (10/10)
Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (haven't played yet, but you can't go wrong)
Super Mario 64 DS (7/10)
Jump Super Stars (Jap. Import) (haven't played, but I hear it's superb)

-Kirby's Canvas Curse, one of the best DS games out.
-Lost in Blue, Excellet non-linear RPG... could wait for 2 though since it's coming out
-Mario Kart DS, this game is sexy.

3) I got that Gamestop Gift Pack. Comes with screen protectors. Is that really needed? Does the screen scratch that easy?

I've never used screen protectors and my DS has been fine. Just treat it like a fat woman, don't use it to excess.

4) Any special accessory you can recommend? I have so far a car charger, game holder, system holder, earphones and screen protectors.

Carrying case, game holder, car charger, *screen cleaner*, earphones... yeah, you just need a solid screen cleaner.

5) I always liked the Harvest Moon games. For people who played the DS version, any good?

Haven't played it yet.

6) I'm in the middle of nowhere but I have wireless broadband. Any DS games I can play online?

Mario Kart DS as said above, MPH is pretty fun too... and I hear Tetris and Clubhouse games are the shit.

I used to use screen protectors, but they were harder to clean, and I eventually stopped using them. No problems. I wouldn't worry about it.

[quote name='wubb']Are those the styli that extend out longer than the standard ones (but still retract down and fit in the lite's slot)? I've wanted to pick up one of those as my hand will block part of the screen with some games and it just seems like that would be more comfortable.[/QUOTE]

http://www.estarland.com/index.asp?page=NintendoDS&product=28371&q=

This is what I got (only not from this store.) They fit in the NDS Lite and extend to about double length with no flimsy feeling.

1. Looks fine, although I agree with others that M64 is hard to control. You are in for a treat with Castlevania- the GBA/DS games are all quite good.

2. I don't know what you like. Here are some of my faves by category:
Best multiplayer: Tetris DS
Broadest appeal: Clubhouse games
Best puzzle game: Meteos (by far)
Most suprisingly good game: Metroid Prime Pinball
Must-own game: New Super Mario Bros. (multiplayer mini-games rock)
Love it or hate it: Metroid Prime Hunters
Best DS tech demo: Kirby Canvas Curse (runner up: Yoshi Touch-n-go)
Game that is only good because of Sudoku: Brain Age
Best Mario Kart game ever: Mario Kart DS

3. I found the good Hori screen protectors impossible to apply without fucking them up. So I threw them out. My screen has some small hair-like scratches all over it. They are invisible when the DS is on. I don't think it's an issue as long as you aren't incredibly anal (if you are, buy protectors), and you clean the thing with a lint-free cloth once in a while.

4. You are set.

5. My brother has Harvest Moon DS and likes it. But Animal Crossing is better IMHO.

6. Yes. Tetris DS is the best by far. Clubhouse games would be awesome if it were less sparsely populated. Metroid Prime Hunters is too leet for me, I have never won a match. Mario Kart DS is great but full of dirty snakers. I would review Tony Hawk's Sk8land here if anyone was ever on-line. Animal Crossing, and a few others.

[quote name='figcoinc']Well I just got a DS Lite. I haven't opened it up yet. Though I picked up a couple games and figured I'd ask people to comment on my choices. Also to answer a couple questions.

Jump Super Stars (Jap. Import)[/quote]

RETURN IT!

Get Jump Ultimate Stars. It has better graphics, more characters, and wi-fi.

Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime
Elite Beat Agents

Jump Ultimate Stars allows you play online.

Haven't played it yet.
I like it, but some carts are buggier than others. There's a thread in this forum from a few months back about this particular game.

Just wanted to say thanks for all the suggestions.

I just opened my DS finally. I have to say....

WOW I LOVE THIS THING!! I WISH I GOT IT SOONER!!

This is so much better than the PSP I had (though I did like it and I still think it's a amazing piece of hardware but games were very...meh) and almost no load times! I'm in law school right now and trust me I don't have the time to pop in my games and wait like I once did. So to open the DS in the library when I want a mental break and play for 10-15 min. at a time with no hassle is great.

Phoenix Wright cracks me up (well since I'm in law school I get more of a chuckle)
Superstars is a lot of fun.
Mario 64 is neat
Castlevania is freaking amazing

So I'm sure overtime I'm going to have this library grow. I've been gaming for years and this is the first product oddly enough that has me so happy to have gotten it since my PS1.

If you like Harvest Moon, just stick with the Mineral Town games. HMDS is basically a re-tooled port of those, but with 10x more bugs.

I myself never had any problems with bugs in the game, but then again, I hardly played it. It failed to offer me anything new after Mineral Town. It would probably be entertaining if you'd never played HM before.

I think if you like Harvest Moon games, you will get more enjoyment out of Animal Crossing. It's a great one! The big difference is going to be that it pushes playing a little each day, not a lot at a time.

If you enjoy Castlevania you should definetly pick up Dawn of Sorrow. I'd also recommend Trauma Center although it's a bit difficult. If you like Phoenix Wright, the sequel will be out soon, as well as Hotel Dusk which is supposed to be excellent.

[quote name='wubb']Hadn't been updated since early November so I unstuck it.[/quote] Bah, I totally forgot to keep that up to date. Sorry about that! I updated it again, if you want to sticky it, go for it. If not, that's cool. :)

OP, enjoy the DS. It's perfect for what you said, short, quick gaming, and even for games that required more time, the snapping the lid shut sleep mode is the best thing to ever happen to busy gamers. It's one of the reasons that I might say it's my favorite gaming platform, ever.

bread's done
Back