Just started selling on eBay -- Advice please

Taren Fox

CAGiversary!
Feedback
6 (100%)
I decided to start unloading some of my old GameCube games on eBay. (1 , 2) 2 of the 3 auctions I posted have received bids, with over 24 hours to go so I'm excited! The problem is that the two current high bidders have zero feedback. And to top it off, a third person who got outbid has 1 feedback.

Is this unusual? I have nothing against new bidders, but I have a suspicion that people may just be bidding up others auctions just to raise the "value" of an item they are looking to sell. I have used the Search Items By Bidders tool, and it shows these bidders as having zero active bids.

Just wondering if I should be concerned or not. Thanks (-:

all buyers started with "0" feedback at some point.

Your main concern should be if they are going to follow through and pay. Except on rare ocassions I don't use the auction format. I almost exclusively list BIN (buy-it-now) with IPR (immediate payment required). I've had too many bad experiences with bidders not paying and it takes too much time to get your fees back and to be able to relist the item after opening a UID (unpaid item dispute).

Either way read up on the Seller protection policies so you know what you need to do to protect yourself.

If you run into any problems report back. Someone should be able to help you.

Quick Question:

How are you listing your items? Are you doing it directly through ebay.com? To save time you can download the eBay turbo lister (google it, I don't have the direct link) which will save some of your formats and making listing quicker.

If you start running into problems with bidders not paying you can make it so that bidders that have more then 1, 2, or 3 unpaid item strikes against their account can't bid on your listings.

I'm using the eBay app on my iPad. And if I start to have that problem, I will. I've been reading all these horror stories of sellers getting scammed on eBay, I'm starting to have second thoughts about listing anything else.

[quote name='Taren Fox']I'm using the eBay app on my iPad. And if I start to have that problem, I will. I've been reading all these horror stories of sellers getting scammed on eBay, I'm starting to have second thoughts about listing anything else.[/QUOTE]

Like with anything those who have been wronged, or felt like they've been wronged always scream the loudest.

There is always going to be a chance you will get scammed, depending on what you list and how you list it you may put yourself at a higher risk.

If you have reasonable expectations, don't jump to conclusions, do what little there is to protect yourself, understand how eBay works, understand how the shipping companies work, then you should be fine outside a few growing pains.

The best thing you can do for now is make sure you list your items accurately. You don't get charged extra for additional pictures (up to 12 I think) so take as many as you need, have good descriptions and a clear title (it's disturbing but buyers tend to make purchases without even reading the description anymore).

It's only new if it hasn't been opened or used.

The buyer shouldn't be surprised when he opens the package.

A nice clear picture, a detailed description, you're doing it right.

One thing I would change, though, is accept returns. The no return policy option really isn't enforceable. If a buyer is intent on returning something they can easily file a claim with Ebay and pretty much force you to accept it. And if you refuse they'll take money out of your account for the refund and also let the buyer keep the item.

[quote name='twiceborn']A nice clear picture, a detailed description, you're doing it right.

One thing I would change, though, is accept returns. The no return policy option really isn't enforceable. If a buyer is intent on returning something they can easily file a claim with Ebay and pretty much force you to accept it. And if you refuse they'll take money out of your account for the refund and also let the buyer keep the item.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I kinda figured. Buyer is always right.

I list my games with a flat shipping rate. I will go to the post office and ship my item with delivery confirmation. Does it matter that I listed my auctions as "standard economy shipping"? I wasn't exactly sure what to put down when I listed.

[quote name='Taren Fox']Yeah, I kinda figured. Buyer is always right.

I list my games with a flat shipping rate. I will go to the post office and ship my item with delivery confirmation. Does it matter that I listed my auctions as "standard economy shipping"? I wasn't exactly sure what to put down when I listed.[/QUOTE]

For economy shipping it doesn't really matter what service you use. But, for instance, if they paid for expedited shipping then you would have to go with priority mail or faster.

Edit: For items 13oz or less it's best to go with first class priority, as it is the most cost effective method for that weight class. For items above 13oz the most cost effective method all depends on the weight, destination, and dimensions of the package. That's something you'll have to research.

Thanks again for all the help :D My copy of Eternal Darkness and Phantasy Star Online Episode I & II both sold for $45.00 each, so I'm way stoked. Hoping they will actually pay. (-:

bread's done
Back