Justice League movie set for 2015!: Nerd Wars inside each page!

[quote name='ITDEFX']It still bothers me why they picked Thor's enemy to be the group's main villain? I dunno, but does Marvel have weak overall villains or does DC?[/QUOTE]
I'd say it's a wash, they both have their big badies, many of them are analogues to the other, like Thanos and Darkseid.

[quote name='Clak']I'd say it's a wash, they both have their big badies, many of them are analogues to the other, like Thanos and Darkseid.[/QUOTE]

Yeah...but is there one villain that requires the entire league to take him down?

I think it's going to be hard to write a JL movie because the powers of the characters are so unbalanced.

It's the Superman problem. In that Batman vs Superman comic, Superman had to get hit with a nuke and then go up against Batman in a robot suit for Batman to have a chance.

And the only thing that levels the playing field is kryptonite, which is severely overused. In the cartoons that's what bats always used, always had some kryptonite just in case supes turned.

[quote name='Clak']And the only thing that levels the playing field is kryptonite, which is severely overused. In the cartoons that's what bats always used, always had some kryptonite just in case supes turned.[/QUOTE]

Yeah but even allowing for that, the problem is all over the JL.

Batman is a martial arts expert in body armor. Aquaman talks to fishes. How do they even begin to hang with the god-like members like Superman and Wonderwoman?

You can make it work in a comic panel but I wouldn't want to be the guy that has to transition it all to the main screen. It's like an Avengers where half the members are Hawkeye.

Batman would probably be relegated to finding some sort of solution to save the day as usual, the brains of the operation. Aquaman....well lets hope they just leave him out.

[quote name='Clak']And the only thing that levels the playing field is kryptonite, which is severely overused. In the cartoons that's what bats always used, always had some kryptonite just in case supes turned.[/QUOTE]

There's also magic.

[quote name='camoor']I think it's going to be hard to write a JL movie because the powers of the characters are so unbalanced.

It's the Superman problem.

In that Batman vs Superman comic, Superman had to get hit with a nuke and then go up against Batman in a robot suit for Batman to have a chance.[/QUOTE]

Oh... there's more!

Exhitibiton 1:

How the $%^& did Batman survive this attack by Superman?

Superman / Batman
Issue # 39

1210797-imgp2929_super.jpg

1st Page:

A hypnotized Superman is ordered by Darkseid's sorcerer to "KILL" Batman. He then flies towards Batman with super-human speed that basically plows through an alien building, cutting it in half, as he tears the ground below him. Superman then throws a powerful vicious right punch to Batman who manages to somehow have super-human reflexes himself to avoid it. Superman's punch instead hits a building and demolishes it like styrofoam. Explanation for Batman's super-human reflex to avoid getting his head blown off? According to Batman in the book "Superman just seemed slow".

1210798-imgp2931_super.jpg

2nd Page:

As Superman's initial blow obliterates said building from the previous page, he continues to lend chase to Batman, and using his super-human speed again, appears right in front of the surprised Dark Knight (and he thought Superman "seemed slow" on the page before), this time, Superman connects with a direct punch to Batman's sternum. "BAM" indeed.

1210800-imgp2934_super.jpg

3rd Page:

I don't know about you, but a direct hit like that from Superman should have blown a hole into Batman's torso like it was made of styrofoam just like the previous building he demolished. Yet, Batman (surprise-surprise) is shown having survived that direct hit from Superman with only some shattered ribs and "possibly a lung". More surprisingly, Batman still manages to stand up from his painful injuries.

Not seen on this page, but on the following issue (#40): Batman is later saved from being literally murdered by Superman, by turning invisible thanks to a special guest characternamed Bekka (lucky bastard).

One issue later...

Superman / Batman Issue # 41

1210795-imgp2937_super.jpg

Last page:

It is later explained that Batman survived Superman's direct punch because "Superman was holding back".

The end.

Just going to skip the whole "Superman seemed slow" and just go straight to him throwing the punch -- So if Superman was "holding back" when he punched Batman, why the heck did his 1st punched (the one that whiffed) was so powerful it demolished an entire building? Guess Superman was NOT "holding back" on that one? But then he later decides to "hold back" once he threw out his 2nd punch?

Batman's pretty much god-like invincible in the comicbooks nowadays. Even more so than any super hero in the world including Superman. It's ironically funny.

This is why "Superman vs Batman" stories never work.

Tip to WB: a JLA movie should really stay away from this kind of horrible, non-sensical writing.

That' true, forgot about that. I think tha't s a fairly recent thing, is it not? I know before it was kryptonite or nothing basically. They could use a magic villain, Mordru maybe? Get Fate involved too.

[quote name='SpiderKnight']Superman's weakness = Kryptonite, Chris Angel, and loneliness.[/QUOTE]
Don't forget Batman.

Batman either wins or it's a draw.

I don't think its a big deal that superman and batman are uneven. The avengers had Hulk and Thor and then Black Widow and Hawkeye, who don't have any powers.

[quote name='moon_knight']I don't think its a big deal that superman and batman are uneven. The avengers had Hulk and Thor and then Black Widow and Hawkeye, who don't have any powers.[/QUOTE]

I am curious if the studio will cast the new superman in the JL or some one else. BR from superman returns wasn't bad. The guy who played the flash in the tv show was pretty good, John Westley Shipp was very good as the flash. Luthor has to be in it....just don't have Kevin Spacey back for the part. :p

Luthor can be in it if he's not the main villain. I'm so tired of him.

Also I liked Brandon Routh as Superman. I was disappointed when he got replaced.

[quote name='moon_knight']I don't think its a big deal that superman and batman are uneven. The avengers had Hulk and Thor and then Black Widow and Hawkeye, who don't have any powers.[/QUOTE]

Yeah but Batman is DC's biggest character next to Superman. You can't just sideline him like Hawkeye or the Black Widow.

I mean we'll see but seeing as how they fucked up GL so bad I'm not getting my hopes up.

And that, once again, is a preference of opinion. They're plenty of people that found her interesting. I'm indifferent since she was a bit different from her role in Iron Man 2.

I, too, also thoroughly enjoyed Routh as Supes (even though the movie was rather long and bland) but Cavill is a better actor -- from what I've seen -- than Routh. And yeah, there is no room for Luthor. You can't have that iconic of a villain nor his ego in the movie just for a small role. He was never powerful enough to be a primary JL villain anyway. He needs either the Injustice League or the Orange ring for that, and even that is subjective since Larfleeze knocked him out easily by himself.

I find it hard to believe people think she's a good character. Im guessing the villains will just be some aliens or something.

[quote name='moon_knight']Black Widow got a lot of screen time in the avengers and she wasn't even that interesting.[/QUOTE]

it's called sex appeal..........remember this movie was targeted towards single nerds .....and you know sex sells right?

[quote name='camoor']Yeah but Batman is DC's biggest character next to Superman. You can't just sideline him like Hawkeye or the Black Widow.

I mean we'll see but seeing as how they fucked up GL so bad I'm not getting my hopes up.[/QUOTE]
Exactly. Marvel wrote it correctly by having Black Widow and Hawkeye just battle the alien henchmen and have them stay away from fighting Loki.

Loki only ever went toe-to-toe with Iron Man, Captain America, Hulk, and Thor. Basically all the ones with superpowers, super-human power, or super-strength.

Batman is DC's big 2.

You know WB is not going to have Batman just battle it out with some chronies like Hawkeye and Black Widow did in the Avengers. Just like those Justice League comicbooks and the cartoons they'll have Batman go head-to-head with the other superpowered villains like Darkseid or Mongul. It's just not believable.

What's silly is that in the cartoons/comics whenever Batman faces off against these super power villains, someone like Darkseid always NEVER take Batman seriously!

Rather than kill Batman with a single flick to the head, they just laugh and taunt and shrug him aside like a blanket. They always never take him seriously. But then when Superman arrives, they would use their full force fighting Superman that it demolishes a whole city. Then here comes Batman who does something simple like place some kind of gadget that magically defeats them so easily! Rinse and repeat.

Fine for kid's cartoon, bad for film.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeT1t0lQn5Q

Last edited by a moderator:
There could be more than one head villain and batman could take on the weaker one. Doesn't have to be one head villain and some generic henchmen

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=97658

Honestly no one except those who follow the comics and animated series knows who this guy is. How will audiences react?

Also the new rumor is that JGL WILL be the new Batman in the JL Movie..............which could possibly make RR officially the new JL and that dude in the upcoming Superman movie the official superman.

[quote name='ITDEFX']http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=97658

Honestly no one except those who follow the comics and animated series knows who this guy is. How will audiences react?[/QUOTE]

Do they have a lot of options? It has to be someone badass enough to bring the team together, and really, how many villains are there that the general public would know? I assumed Darkseid would he the big bad since they announced plans for the movie.

[quote name='ITDEFX']http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=97658

Honestly no one except those who follow the comics and animated series knows who this guy is. How will the audience react?[/QUOTE]

The same way they do with every other villain in a comic book movie? Not like doc Ock, Green Goblin, Loki, Red Skull, etc were well known outside animated series watchers and comic readers.

Same reason why Nick Fury can be in every Marvel movie, someone has to be charge of intelligence and do their durty work. Hulk and Thor can't do that.

[quote name='moon_knight']I find it hard to believe people think she's a good character. Im guessing the villains will just be some aliens or something.[/QUOTE]

Brainic, he can upgrade himself to talk on the JL and introduce more interesting aliens in future films. Batman can shutdown his network of robot drones and save the day.

bread's done
Back