Katamari Damacy... am i the only one??

JohnEX

CAG Veteran
am i the only one has has absolutely no interest in this game? the premise is extremely stupid to me... none of the descriptions or reviews made me want to play it...

yet a lot of people here are hyping it as much as halo 2.

so am i the only one??

[quote name='JohnEX']am i the only one has has absolutely no interest in this game? the premise is extremely stupid to me... none of the descriptions or reviews made me want to play it...

so am i the only one??[/quote]

Yes, yes you are.

probably just not your cup of tea that's all. you probably won't like any of the other quirky games either.

xbox probably your favorite console as well :)

[quote name='The Gifuto']No, I bought it on release date. I just couldn't get into it. It's currently on EBay.[/quote]

linky

[quote name='JohnEX']am i the only one has has absolutely no interest in this game? the premise is extremely stupid to me... none of the descriptions or reviews made me want to play it...

Yes, and you must pay for your sins. :evil::evil::evil:

No, you are not alone The Gifuto, is in the same boat, but besides you two, yes you are the only ones.

I never saw this game hyped the way Halo 2 is being, this is just one of those under the radar games... that DID happen to get excellent reviews, thus spurning gamer interest

I loved it, it is to me mindless fun, a good break from some of the more technical games out there... getting my katamari to the size where it picks up everything around it (moon level) was pure gaming bliss...

9.4/10

Kind of odd for me, I'm a puzzle game JUNKIE, but I haven't really been interested in this. The premise seems cool, the music is great, but those clunky graphics... (it looks like it was designed in the early-3D PS1 days)

I bought it, had trade credit. It's unique, and definitely has personality, but I definitely wouldn't rank it as the 'best of the year' or anything. Then again, I'm not that far into it. I'm approaching a point where the gameplay will either 'click' and be awesome, or I will suddenly get bored of the 'gimmick'. I'm glad it was only 20 bucks, and I'm glad it came over, to at least show the publishers that things other than football sequels or tried-and-true-and-cliche RPG's can sell....

It's really interesting and hard. I bought it the day it came out. I just have this feeling in 6 years it will be number one in the "Games You never played but must have" lists. And it will be sold out everywhere. I love this game, and I will get the soundtrack.

I've heard other people say the same thing, that they simply couldn't get into it.

I'm not a puzzle gamer at all but I'm just addicted to this game. It's so different and just fun, I wish more games were like this.

[quote name='misterbowtie']Lucky me got it with GGC at BB on release day. I love it. Hope they bring the sequel here, and for cheap.[/quote]

Can anyone else confirm it at there local B&M BB?
For $15 with the GGC i will definetely get it.

[quote name='camoor']Kind of odd for me, I'm a puzzle game JUNKIE, but I haven't really been interested in this. The premise seems cool, the music is great, but those clunky graphics... (it looks like it was designed in the early-3D PS1 days)[/quote]

...have you SEEN the amount of shit in this game?

[quote name='captaincold'][quote name='misterbowtie']Lucky me got it with GGC at BB on release day. I love it. Hope they bring the sequel here, and for cheap.[/quote]

Can anyone else confirm it at there local B&M BB?
For $15 with the GGC i will definetely get it.[/quote]

Yes.

The only thing that is a little annoying, is the damn camera angles, they wont stay where I want them, other than that its sweet as a break from the action based monotony we are spoon fed as gamers. And for $20 bucks maybe other quirky games will be brought stateside!

How did you end up getting more money than retail price on ebay? Is Gamestop.com some kind of underground site that only CAGers know about?

[quote name='Parathod']How did you end up getting more money than retail price on ebay? Is Gamestop.com some kind of underground site that only CAGers know about?[/quote]

www.ebgames.com too for that matter

[quote name='camoor']Kind of odd for me, I'm a puzzle game JUNKIE, but I haven't really been interested in this. The premise seems cool, the music is great, but those clunky graphics... (it looks like it was designed in the early-3D PS1 days)[/quote]

The graphics are a bit clunky, but it is actually a pretty technically powerful little game when you give it a little thought. I mean, the fact that it can pretty much seemlessly take you from being 5 cm tall to 850 m tall is pretty impressive.

i'm not interested at all either, but if i felt like trying it at all then i would pop it in the ps2 at work and try it.

I have a feeling someone doesn't remember the early-3D PS1 days, or they would have never made so foolish a comment.

am i the only one has has absolutely no interest in this game?

No, but in the dark little corners of the internet where videogames are the primary point of discussion, of course it's going to be huge.

the premise is extremely stupid to me...

Yep, and the braindead mowing over of braindead line after line of grunts, minions and other such cannon fodder in the first person perspective or the next iteration of the yearly sports game franchise it just inspired game making right?
Maybe you should apply for a job at EA.

none of the descriptions or reviews made me want to play it...

You must of hated the early 80's. Playing a game just because it's fun? Perish the thought.

You've got to be kidding. One or two articles in each mag that covers PS2 games, and a Penny arcade cartoon and you're saying it's as hyped as Halo 2? Please.

so am i the only one??
No. And quite honestly, that is what concerns me about the future of the game industry.

I haven't played it so I don't know if I would like it or not, but from what I have heard I am not tripping over myself to get a copy since It doesn't sound that interesting to me.

The number one reason people are buying it and hyping is cause of the rarity factor. If this game was released with zillions of copies I doubt there would be such a fuss.

The best part is that most of the reviews/gamers completely ignore the graphics saying they don't matter yet they practically piss on other games simply cause the graphics are a little dated.

Well the graphics are done this way one purpose. The ball you roll can collect LOTS of stuff and the game needs to remain fast paced. If everything was uber-detailed, the game would slow down big time.

The premise is stupid. But then again, a plumber that jumps on turtles and can throw fireballs is silly too. That's the charm in it IMO. I felt the same way you do about Katamari Damacy about Incredible Crisis on PS One. But I gave Incredible Crisis a shot anyway and I really liked it.

I see your point about hyping the game up to Halo 2 levels though. A lot of people REALLY like trying to be different and a lot of people are excited simply because an odd Japanese title is getting a North American release.

KD is a good game but the best thing about it IMO is that its gameplay is unique. Nothing else is like it. It's simple mindless fun and a lot of games don't provide that anymore. I love my FPS' and RPG's but sometimes I want a quick gaming fix.

The one thing I could have done without is the Engrish in the game. It seemed a little forced.

Also, the OP didn't really judge the game at all. He simply said that the game didn't interest him. Nothing wrong with that. I am sure there are a lot of games we aren't interested in that others are.

[quote name='JSweeney']
Yep, and the braindead mowing over of braindead line after line of grunts, minions and other such cannon fodder in the first person perspective or the next iteration of the yearly sports game franchise it just inspired game making right?
[/quote]

How exactly is the FPS/ sport game genre braindead? You speak of how the OP isn't familiar with the early PS1 days to make such a foolish comment yet then you follow up with your own close-minded and judgmental comment.

KD is a title that grows on you... at first, you may fumble with the controls and not be able to meet the goals set up by the king, but after you get some exp under your belt, you'll be flying through... the fun of this game is to try and beat your score each time... I know when I got the mechanics down and knew what could be picked up and when, I feverishly was building the biggest katamari I could. Most complain that stage one is too damn short, but the trick is not to roll over 10,000 tiny tiny items (your ball will be slow to take shape) but to roll over stuff that can be picked up and add height fast (like say, oh... that pencil right in front of you and the sandwich cookies: they can make the next size change almost instant within 10 seconds or less of starting that stage)

[quote name='Scrubking']The best part is that most of the reviews/gamers completely ignore the graphics saying they don't matter yet they practically piss on other games simply cause the graphics are a little dated.[/quote] Well, when your not having FUN playing those other games, sometimes the graphics are the only thing that saves it. When a game is fun and entertaining, its got plenty of room for leway. Ad into that that the graphics end up "working" for the game, both in the poly department, as well as style.

[quote name='magilacudy'][quote name='JSweeney']
[/quote]

How exactly is the FPS/ sport game genre braindead? You speak of how the OP isn't familiar with the early PS1 days to make such a foolish comment yet then you follow up with your own close-minded and judgmental comment.[/quote]

The 500th game where you throw a football/shoot a demon compared to the first game where you can roll over THE ENTIRE FREAKIN PLANET (sort of)...a slight difference. I understand theyve added things to Franchise/Dynasty mode, added right thumbstick control, added FP mode (oops, that combines the two...), but overall its very minor steps every year, at least small enough steps they could just patch the damn game. Having an original idea come out into America that doesnt suck, or scare most poeple (Hello, im Seaman...BOO!), is something i hope hapenss more often.

Don't worry OP I feel exactly the same way. I almost bought it at Best Buy to see what it was like but then I decided what do I care about people hyping a game, why make myself play it for that reason alone?

Well, you can either want it more or dislike it more because of the supposed "hype" (I don't recall seeing a commercial for this game, I think what you're referring to is Word of Mouth), or you could spend $20 (or $15) and try it for yourself. Its nice to try things for yourself before you form an opinion on something.

Theres no rareness factor here, it sold unexpectedly well so they just made more, and they'll make more again if they have to.

I agree with that, the ultimate arbiter of a game's worthiness is you, the player. Some people religiously buy each iteration of Madden, but a Madden disk has never and will never come anywhere near any of my consoles [nor will any other football game, football isn't fun to me].
KD is unique, and different. Different doesn't necessarily equal good, but it is nice to at least have the *option* to play it.
The graphics aren't Square-quality, but they're not supposed to be. They fit the style of the game.
I've enjoyed it a bit, but I've actually been playing a lot of R&C : GC, which, I guess, is another iteration of a platformer--but it just does it so well ; )

Jsweeny, all i said was that the game didn't interest me and i wanted to know what all the hype was about. you didn't need to be so abusive in getting your point across.

Guilewasnk, thanks to you and the others who were able to give a mature perspective.

personally, i want games like this to be made and succeed to give variety to the face of gaming.

i think i can understand now what the appeal of the game is. i know there are games out there that people play just because they are different. i just can't remember a quirky game like this being talked about so much on the net.

just to clarify, i'm not judging the game at all. just wanted to see if i was the only one who had no interest in the game. looks like there are probably one or two others like me to go along with the many diehard fans of this game :)

Theres no rareness factor here,

Not being able to find it in any store doesn't make the game rare?

Gamesites were making features specifically about not being able to find the game for goodness sake.

[quote name='Scrubking']
Theres no rareness factor here,

Gamesites were making features specifically about not being able to find the game for goodness sake.[/quote]
This is a difficult one...Its not "Rare" because its still available. If you have a CC and dont mind ordering online, your fine. If you have that mystical "patience" thing, you can wait a week or two and THEN find it at a store. Most people are getting blind sided by a god game thye never heard of, which means the MUST have it NOW. I actually had fun driving around for it. I ended up just calling an EB and picking it up a bit later.

Gamesites were making features specifically about not being able to find the game for goodness sake.
Yes, there was a period for about a week or two where you couldn't find it. Until Namco printed a whole shitload more to meet demand. And they will print as many as needed. This is like free money to them, this cost them next to nothing to localize and they didn't expect it to sell at all. If it gets rare again, they'll just fire up another batch.

[quote name='JohnEX']
Guilewasnk, thanks to you and the others who were able to give a mature perspective.
[/quote]

:) No problem. I thought your post was very clear in meaning.

[quote name='JSweeney']none of the descriptions or reviews made me want to play it...

You must of hated the early 80's. Playing a game just because it's fun? Perish the thought.[/quote]

"Must have" -- grammar police. Sorry, I wouldn't have replied just to mention this, but since I was replying anyway, I thought I should mention it. I hold your grammar and spelling to a higher standard than I do others, because I usually find your posts articulate and well written.

[quote name='JSweeney']yet a lot of people here are hyping it as much as halo 2.

You've got to be kidding. One or two articles in each mag that covers PS2 games, and a Penny arcade cartoon and you're saying it's as hyped as Halo 2? Please.[/quote]

Time for me to catch up on Penny Arcade again, thanks for the info. It has received quite a bit of hype for such a small release, but the OP was referring to the word-of-mouth (word-of-keyboard?) hype on CAG, and we have been pretty vocal about it.

[quote name='JSweeney']so am i the only one??
No. And quite honestly, that is what concerns me about the future of the game industry.[/quote]

Not every game will appeal to every gamer, so I don't think that the OP's and others' lack of interest in this game should concern you. I think that there are more people psyched about KD than turned off by it, and I think it is great that word spread about it so thouroughly. Everyone (who likes the game) should keep recommending it to casual gamers who may not be familiar with it.

I looked at gifuto's auction, and did an eBay search... A lot of the auctions are going for more than retail -- very odd.

Yeah, I believe the hype was talking about from CAG, and there is a enormous amount of it lurking around, claiming that it's the 2nd coming of jesus and all this shit, I ordered it and while it was shipping I was already sick of everyone praising the hell out of it. It may be a damn fun and good game but seriously people, if all you talk about is it, that's when you need to frigging stop.

I'm glad to see Namco take a chance and bring this sucker over. I have done my part in encouraging new and original software by buying it for the full MSRP. It's probably the best 20 dollars I've spent on a new game, besides FFVII. It's a great investment fun-wise (yes, I said fun-wise) and it's helping the industry see that while mainstream bubblegum games (the Maddens and Halos) are great and all, there is definitley a market for this kind of stuff.

bread's done
Back