KB Toys bankrupt-closing sales to begin immediately

Hahaha this is hilarious to me because I was at a KB with a friend of mine on Tuesday since the B2G1 and 20% off were stacking. The manager was doing the transaction with some teenager behind the counter dicking around. Suddenly, we hear an "Oh, fuck!" and the kid is bleeding.

Manager: "What happened?"
Kid: "I cut myself!"
Manager: "With what?"
Kid: "This!" *holds up an epee pen*
Manager: "Where did you get that?!?!"
Kid: "In the drawer?"
Manager: "Why were you playing with it?!"
Kid: "What is it?"
Manager: "Another employee's epee pen, incase she has an alllergic reaction?"
Kid: "What's going to happen to me?"
Manager: "I don't know. Call her and ask."
*The kid goes running into the back, and a portly female assistant manager waddles up front*
Portly: "Why is he bleeding everywhere?"
Manager: "He cut himself."
Portly: "On what?"
Manager: "On this."
Portly: "What is that?"
Manager: "Another employee's epee pen."
Portly: "What's it for?"
Manager: "To treat her if she has an allergic reaction."
Portly: "Where did he get that from?!?!"
Manager: "It was in the drawer."
Portly: "Well, why was he playing with it?!"
Manager: "I don't know."
Portly: "What's going to happen to him?!?"
Manager: "Call her and ask."

This exchange repeated several times. My friend and I were convinced we had stumbled into an Abbot & Costello routine and it took every ounce of strength we had not to burst out laughing in the middle of the store. But we did laugh our asses off the whole ride home.

KB toys is another one of those stores that you only shop at if you desperate or a serious toy collector who can't find what your looking for anywhere else. Back in my transformer and marvel legend collecting days I usually found most of the older and rarer pieces I was looking for there.

That reminds me I need to finish up my transformers alternators collection :)

There are 2 KBs in my area. One in a mall and a KB outlet. Their game selection does really suck. If you are looking to pick up cheap ass toys then this is the place to go. About 3 years ago, I was able to pick up all 4 Wiggles... umm... action figures? 8-[ for $5 each at a KB that was closing.

There are 2 KBs in my area. One in a mall and a KB outlet. Their game selection does really suck. If you are looking to pick up cheap ass toys then this is the place to go. About 3 years ago, I was able to pick up all 4 Wiggles... umm... action figures? 8-[ for $5 each at a KB that was closing.

The two local KB stores have been gone for a while now around here. The closest KB near me was at an outlet place about 45 minutes away from here and they only sold the shovelware as far as games were concerned.

The last things I bought at my local KB stores before they went out was a copy of Tenchu for PS1 and a PS1 Action Replay. This was in 2003 or 2004 when they closed both local stores.

Yeah, all they have is a bunch of '90s action figures marked down, which is fairly cool though.

On the video game side, just handheld garbage and licensed titles which suck. All the stores I've known about have since shutdown, but I do remember last year me and my girlfriend going to a KB in the mall, and the store was a disaster. It had stuff and toys all over on the floor, employees not even out or there at all... that is how all the KB's that I've been inside the last 5 years have been.

This is not surprising at all, they are extremely overpriced, they sell toys for 7-10$ higher per toy than other stores in the area. Plus they carry more generic chinese-made junk than the other stores do, even more than walmart if you can believe that. The store is so crammed with merchandise you can barely fit down an aisle. I have never seen a store as crammed as this.

If people want toys, they want brand name toys, which this store does not have. Their brand name toys consist of a tiny endcap then aisles of generic stuff. Combine this with the fact that every kid 7 and older wants nothing but ipods, electronics and video games and you have a store that simply cannot compete in today's market.

Their video games are outrageously priced, as in more than gamestop. It would take a 90% off clearance to get anything good out of that sale for a decent price.

There is a KB near me but I don't even think I will be bothering with this until it hits 70-80% off since the prices are so inflated to begin with.

[quote name='Slim Gatsby']Hahaha this is hilarious to me because I was at a KB with a friend of mine on Tuesday since the B2G1 and 20% off were stacking. The manager was doing the transaction with some teenager behind the counter dicking around. Suddenly, we hear an "Oh, fuck!" and the kid is bleeding.

*The kid goes running into the back, and a portly female assistant manager waddles up front*

This exchange repeated several times. My friend and I were convinced we had stumbled into an Abbot & Costello routine and it took every ounce of strength we had not to burst out laughing in the middle of the store. But we did laugh our asses off the whole ride home.[/QUOTE]

LOL. I would have been fucking rolling on the ground if I heard this.

[quote name='kube00']I think there are very few KB toys left on the west coast...although I could be wrong[/quote]

There used to be plenty in SoCal...in most malls.

the last time i bought something at KB was when Vice city came out for the PS2 and that was only cuz funcoland refused to sell because i didnt pre-order

[quote name='Slim Gatsby']Hahaha this is hilarious to me because I was at a KB with a friend of mine on Tuesday since the B2G1 and 20% off were stacking. The manager was doing the transaction with some teenager behind the counter dicking around. Suddenly, we hear an "Oh, fuck!" and the kid is bleeding.

This exchange repeated several times. My friend and I were convinced we had stumbled into an Abbot & Costello routine and it took every ounce of strength we had not to burst out laughing in the middle of the store. But we did laugh our asses off the whole ride home.[/quote]

:applause:Classic. I love how you named her "Portly" in the conversation string, too.

I was going to write a blog about some of the most overpriced or no deals available from stores/sites that sell games. One of the stores I was going to put in my write-up was KB Toys. Sure enough I read an article about this by Cathryn Creno in the Arizona Republic this morning. When I was reading I did become very shocked at how old the company is, 86 years. However I don't think this will be the last we hear from this company. Companies find ways to survive as long as this one has. Hell they did have one 'BIG ASS' line during Black Friday that I can ever remember for a store from sunrise to sunset.

I know it's supposed to be something else, but a google search/image search only shows an epee pen as this:

epee-pen-racer-wyscigopi_2652.jpg

An Epee Brand Pen Racer. Ironically, I have no doubt that they sell this at KB as well...

[quote name='SaraAB']This is not surprising at all, they are extremely overpriced, they sell toys for 7-10$ higher per toy than other stores in the area. Plus they carry more generic chinese-made junk than the other stores do, even more than walmart if you can believe that. The store is so crammed with merchandise you can barely fit down an aisle. I have never seen a store as crammed as this.

If people want toys, they want brand name toys, which this store does not have. Their brand name toys consist of a tiny endcap then aisles of generic stuff. Combine this with the fact that every kid 7 and older wants nothing but ipods, electronics and video games and you have a store that simply cannot compete in today's market.

Their video games are outrageously priced, as in more than gamestop. It would take a 90% off clearance to get anything good out of that sale for a decent price.

There is a KB near me but I don't even think I will be bothering with this until it hits 70-80% off since the prices are so inflated to begin with.[/quote]

I definitely agree with the crammed store thing, but the kids 7 and older only wanting Ipods and stuff like that is still wrong, I think.

I mean, maybe if you're talking about BOYS, but girls probably want Barbie or one of those Princesss videos or something.

The last time I bought something from KB was when their website had that game sale a while back. I think I bought 3-4 games, including a couple of the Syphon Filters and a copy of some glitchy as hell game that I dumped almost immediately.

Only thing they had was a great selection of Pixar's Cars. I could get the rarer ones there. And they would call me and hold them until I got there.

Its supposed to be EpiPen. Thats probably why you got that picture.

[quote name='Kerig']I know it's supposed to be something else, but a google search/image search only shows an epee pen as this:

epee-pen-racer-wyscigopi_2652.jpg

An Epee Brand Pen Racer. Ironically, I have no doubt that they sell this at KB as well...[/QUOTE]

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I definitely agree with the crammed store thing, but the kids 7 and older only wanting Ipods and stuff like that is still wrong, I think.

I mean, maybe if you're talking about BOYS, but girls probably want Barbie or one of those Princesss videos or something.

The last time I bought something from KB was when their website had that game sale a while back. I think I bought 3-4 games, including a couple of the Syphon Filters and a copy of some glitchy as hell game that I dumped almost immediately.[/QUOTE]

Trust me girls want ipods too, they want pretty much any electronic that is pink. Yes even at 7 years old. Yes it may be wrong but that is what they want these days and unfortunately there is nothing I can do about it. Either that or they want a Pink DS or a pink cell phone, but once they hit 7-8 years old it seems all they want is electronics.

I bought a couple games for good prices (Golden sun lost age 10$ new) back several years ago when they were having an after Christmas blowout sale on video games. Back when they actually carried good titles for good prices instead of mass amount of shovelware. If I want shovelware I can find it much cheaper on ebay. I remember finding sealed and new N64 games in there for 1$ each too, not top titles but for 1$ each they were good enough.

My local KB Toys is selling used games and a lot of those $10-$15 PS2 games, along with a bunch of other budget crap. However, some Harvest Moon games for DS were pretty notable.

They also sold PS2 consoles for $130, I doubt they will take much off those but if it hits 50% I might grab a extra one since it looks like PS3's will never be backwards again.

bread's done
Back