Keanu Reeves working on live-action Cowboy Bebop movie

Mid Boss

CAGiversary!
http://moviesblog.mtv.com/2008/12/1...to-do-something-good-with-cowboy-bebop-movie/

Keanu Reeves Eager To Do ‘Something Good’ With ‘Cowboy Bebop’ Movie
Published by Larry Carroll on Wednesday, December 17, 2008 at 1:05 pm.

It’s no secret that Keanu Reeves loves anime – a main influence on the “Matrix” series. It’s also common knowledge that the actor holds a place in his heart for sci-fi, as evidenced by films like “A Scanner Darkly,” “Johnny Mnemonic” and the currently-tops-in-theaters “The Day the Earth Stood Still.” It’s no surprise, then, that Reeves’ latest passion project revolves around his desire to make a live-action “Cowboy Bebop.”

“Oh yeah, cool,” he said when I asked him about the flick recently. “We’re trying to do that.”

As fans of the Japanese classic TV series know, “Bebop” follows a crew of bounty hunters traveling around the universe in the year 2071. Reeves hopes to play Spike Spiegel, one of these futuristic cowboys forced to pick up the slack after a population crash and hyperspace gateways have left law-enforcement unable to capture many of the galaxy’s most ruthless criminals.

“It’s got a Western quality, a Western film noir aspect to it,” Reeves said of why he’s such a big fan of Shinichiro Watanabe and Keiko Nobumoto’s groundbreaking series. “It’s got so much style to it, and that’s part of its appeal. That kind of Old West, bordertown, low-tech science fiction aspect.”

Take a look at this clip and you’ll get an idea of why Reeves is not only a perfect-looking fit for Spiegel, but also why he thinks the most important person on the set will be the one trying to translate the series’ unique look. “I think that would be a production designer’s dream,” Reeves said of the flick. “I think you just need a good production designer.”

The flick is currently being put together by Erwin Stoff, a producer who has spent the last two decades working almost exclusively on Reeves projects, and recently set the film up at 20th Century Fox. “We’ve got the rights, we’ve got a writer,” Keanu explained. “He’s putting together a scene outline.”

Reeves revealed that this outline for the flick is currently focusing on the origins of the fictional “Bebop” drug developed by the military, which provides its users with a brief surge of superhuman reflexes and awareness. “We’re taking the Red Eye [story], the beginning part of the series,” he explained, “and then we’ll deal with the end of the series. We’re trying to figure out [the time frame]. We’re looking at the story right now.”

Since the beloved 26-episode show (as well as the feature film) didn’t necessarily maintain a linear style of storytelling, Reeves said that somewhere between the Red Eye origins and the “Bebop” conclusion, they’ll be picking out various highlights for their own use.

“Yeah, it’s so episodic and so disconnected. We’re trying to figure out what pieces to put together to tell one story,” he explained. “Because it’s such a short form, to make a 2 hour version [will be tough]. And it’s got so much of an origin-story obligation; you’ve got to get people up to speed, but you don’t want to do much of that. There are a lot of things to take into consideration, but we think we can do something good.”

With devoted fans all over the world, and a complex universe to depict on screen, Reeves knows that it won’t be easy to make a “Cowboy Bebop” movie. “Yeah,” he grinned when reminded of these facts. “But that’s why you want to do it.”
I hope something decent can come of this, but given that it's Keanu Reeves my expectations are rather low.

This is going to live or die based on who plays Ed.

Take a look at this clip and you’ll get an idea of why Reeves is not only a perfect-looking fit for Spiegel

I dunno. There's probably a better fit out there.

But oh yeah - there is no way in the world this could ever measure up to the series/movie.

At first I was horrified. But later I realized that as long as Keanu doesn't come off dumb, he could make a good Spike. The only emotions he'd need to express would be surprise, fleeting happiness, physical pain, and anger.

[quote name='Strell']This is going to live or die based on who plays Ed.
[/quote]
This is the truth. The differences between watching Bebop subbed vs. dubbed make this apparent. The real test is who can pull off sounding sufficiently batshit insane to pull off Ed. Of course, since its hollywood, they'll cast some obnoxious boy as Ed. Probably from 90210 or dawson's.

I'm okay with Reeves playing Spike considering, both aren't very good at showing emotions. Both do come off as zombie-like a good deal of the time.

And I agree, Ed will make or break this movie, or they could ignore her all together, considering she wasn't in the first eight episodes.

[quote name='Mid Boss']http://moviesblog.mtv.com/2008/12/1...to-do-something-good-with-cowboy-bebop-movie/

I hope something decent can come of this, but given that it's Keanu Reeves my expectations are rather low.[/quote]

Normally I would agree, but from reading that article he is a fan of the show and knows how special it is. That gives me more confidence than in someone who isn't an anime fan.

[quote name='Strell']This is going to live or die based on who plays Ed.

I dunno. There's probably a better fit out there.

But oh yeah - there is no way in the world this could ever measure up to the series/movie.[/quote]

Actually, Ed is so bizarre that I don't think she could be cast well at all. IMO it is the casting of Jet and Faye that will matter most.

[quote name='Filbert']At first I was horrified. But later I realized that as long as Keanu doesn't come off dumb, he could make a good Spike. The only emotions he'd need to express would be surprise, fleeting happiness, physical pain, and anger.[/quote]

I was concerned until I read the passion he has for the show.

Keanu Reeves needs to give up acting, forever...seriously HOW THE fuck does this man still get acting jobs, he has the emotional range of a brick wall...Look at his face and tell me what the fuck kind of expressions is he showing...is he angry,sad, constipated, happy, horny???...they're all the fucken same.

This has shit-show written all over it...

as for Ed, jesus... is Samantha Ronson an actress? she's the only person I still can't figure out if she's really a chick or a guy... and Ed still has me questioning that every scene.

[quote name='plasticbathmonki']If this comes out, I'm burning my Cowboy Bebop DVDs in silent protest.....[/quote]

Fire makes sound.

This guy just needs to start bulking up and he could do it. Either that or Hugh Jackman.
jetuz6.jpg

As for Ed, they can just grab one of the Japanese legendary traps.

[quote name='plasticbathmonki']If this comes out, I'm burning my Cowboy Bebop DVDs in silent protest.....[/QUOTE]
Cry more.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Actually, Ed is so bizarre that I don't think she could be cast well at all. IMO it is the casting of Jet and Faye that will matter most.[/QUOTE]
I think they should just cut Ed completely, because Ed is the lamest thing about Cowboy Bebop.

Ugh. Spike Spiegel is cool and confident not dumb and emotionless like Keanu.

Keanu should seek roles like those involving robots. He would be perfect as a Terminator or corpse.

I would have to say I'm interested in who's playing Faye and Ed. Ed is a pretty tough role to play and shouldn't be given to any non-actress.

To be honest, I wouldn't mind them leaving Ed out. Before Ed's appearance in the anime Jet did the "hacking" and detective work. I think that would work just fine. And they should leave Ein out as well unless his role is to do nothing major. I'd hate to see either one thrown in as CG.

[quote name='Filbert']To be honest, I wouldn't mind them leaving Ed out. Before Ed's appearance in the anime Jet did the "hacking" and detective work. I think that would work just fine. And they should leave Ein out as well unless his role is to do nothing major. I'd hate to see either one thrown in as CG.[/quote]
It all depends on the script for the movie. If the script plays out something like the first few episodes of the series then it's all good. Ed was a great comic relief element and that played out well in the later episodes as a counter to the 'dramatic' back story episodes of the main characters. She serves no real purpose other than that.

[quote name='Strell']There is something criminally and medically wrong with all the people suggesting Ed and Ein be left out.[/quote]

Fixed.

[quote name='Strell']There is something criminally and medically wrong with all the people suggesting Ed be left out.[/QUOTE]

There is something mentally wrong with people who think Ed is cool or funny.

Ed was dumb and corny and annoying and was the single worst thing about the show.

[quote name='nevposey']I would have to say I'm interested in who's playing Faye and Ed. Ed is a pretty tough role to play and shouldn't be given to any non-actress.[/quote]
Who is gonna play Faye?

bread's done
Back