Kick-Ass trailer (new trailer added to OP)

Purple Flames

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='bobo2k4']The comic is actually pretty fucked up. The movie is looking to be a bit more light hearted. Hope it comes out good.[/QUOTE]

Word is the movie is every bit as fucked up.

If this doesn't pan out for Cage (Big Daddy), he looks like a very convincing Black Hand if DC ever decides to do a Green Lantern movie centered around the Blackest Night story arc.

This is going to be the District 9 of 2010. I'm hyping it like crazy. It's said to be gorey as hell and crowd reactions have been off the charts.

Remember kids! This is a HARD R.

It has been widely reported that KICK-ASS’s big premiere at Butt-Numb-A-Thon stole the show from such veteran filmmakers as Peter Jackson, Martin Scorsese and James Cameron in terms of sheer audience enjoyment and that’s 100% true. The audience fucking loved the movie, cheering throughout, laughing at all the in-jokes and comedic moments, clapping in rhythm to the music as Hit Girl painted a bloody masterpiece of gore and violence across the screen and just plain old buzzed about the flick for hours afterwards. Hell, at dinner tonight the conversation was 80% Kick-Ass.

In terms of Kick-Ass’s BNAT reception does the experience make the movie or the movie make the experience? That’s the big question.

In all honesty I can’t give you a definite answer, but my gut reaction is that the movie made the experience and I’ll tell you why.

As raucous as the screening was there was a technical issue that popped up after Hit Girl (the clear audience favorite character) does her first act of carnage about a reel and a half into the film (25-30-ish minutes in). The center speaker literally fizzled out, giving the audio a muted quality not dissimilar to being underwater. The Alamo folks quickly stopped the movie and it took a good 20 minutes to fix.

It wasn’t the perfect screening, but the movie survived the pause in its first big action scene. In a lot of ways it added to the excitement of the crowd. You see, Matthew Vaughn had us all hooked by this point, so instead of the crowd losing steam and interest we started buzzing instead, excitedly talking about the beginning of the movie with our friends and neighbors.

When the Alamo’s crack squad of managers and techies fixed the problem (seriously, it was like watching an elite bomb squad that just spotted an IED on some Iraqi roadside at work) they restarted the movie we got to see Hit Girl’s real introduction again, this time with the correct sound and the audience “Oohed” and “Awed” at the exact same moments… and I include myself in there.

Working Trailer -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKjycnhKxY4

KickAssKA1.jpg
KickAssRedMistSm.jpg
KickAssHG2.jpg

And so you have an idea of what's coming.

300px-kick-ass_vol_1_21.jpg

KickAss_03_SecondPrinting.jpg

Thanks for sharing OP. I was wondering when they were going to try to put this comic on the big screen. I only kept up with the first few issues of Kick Ass and they were very interesting.

I think this movie looks pretty cool. I think comparing it to District 9 is a bit off, this has more potential to be the Zombieland of 2010.

Looks kinda crap. I've been waiting for Matthew Vaughn to make a great followup to his debut film Layer Cake...I guess at some point you just have to give up and move on.

Definitely more Zombieland than District 9 if the comic is anything to go by and all the buzz says it is. I'm actually right excited for both the last issue of the comic and to see the film. Could work out very well and hilarious.

To all of you who say it looks stupid, I suggest you give the comic a chance. It is pretty damn good, the writing is refreshing, and JRJR's artwork actually fits the style of story.

After all of the hype (to which I've admittedly contributed), Matthew Vaughn's adaptation of the Mark Millar/John Romita, Jr. comic book managed to deliver and then some - even after a blown speaker (and subsequent twenty-minute delay) interrupted the film in the middle of Hit Girl's soon-to-be-classic first fight scene. Actually, it's not fair to call it a fight, since, with one rather shocking exception, no one really "fights" Hit Girl; mostly, they just get slashed, impaled, bludgeoned and/or shot by this eleven-year-old messenger of death (who, as presented by Vaughn, comes off as the greatest little sister ever, not a skeevy, Besson-ified object of desire).

I've only been to five BNAT's, but the reaction to Hit Girl's exuberantly-staged handiwork is without precedent. As Harry mentioned, during the tense build-up to the film's final set piece, the audience began clapping in time to Guns N' Roses' "November Rain"; the bloody payoff produced an uproar akin to a barroom celebration of a last-second Super Bowl victory.

I'll have more to say on the film in a day or two, but, in its confident rearranging of well-worn conventions, KICK-ASS is unique in a way that recalls THE MATRIX. If this can be made clear to ticket-buyers without spoiling what makes the film special, it could easily impact the culture (and rake in piles of cash) in that fashion, too.

More BNAT Kick-Ass reviews.

[quote name='FroMann']This looks like a movie Duke Nukem would watch.[/QUOTE]it's like a movie 15 year old Duke Nukem would watch, but I don't see that as a bad thing. Sure the comic is rather juvenile, but it's all about expectation management. It's like Uncharted was hyped (to me) as one of the greatest games I'd ever play but once I played it I didn't get it. Once I changed my expectations to Sands of Time + Better Visuals + Guns + Good VO it made sense and I could enjoy it. I think Wanted is a better comic but as long as you don't walk in expecting to have your mind blown like the first time you saw The Matrix (before word had really spread about it) you can have a good time.

Done and done.

Also, I managed to track down all 7 issues that are out right now, and I must say this comic is fucking awesome. The movie looks extremely faithful to the source materiak, albeit with a few aesthetic tweaks here and there.

Now I'm even more pumped to see this!

I thought this was one of those stupid parodies like Scary Movie and white chicks but actually this is based off an awesome comic book series.. will definitely check out

[quote name='billyrox']I thought this was one of those stupid parodies like Scary Movie and white chicks but actually this is based off an awesome comic book series.. will definitely check out[/QUOTE]

I'm expecting something akin to the awesomeness of Hot Fuzz.

I ordered the Romita Jr. sketch variant of Kick Ass #1 when the book was first annouched. I had a feeling about this comic from the get-go. It's the first and only comic where I ordered the more expensive variant. I've been meaning to send it off and get graded.

kickass1sketch%5Bekm%5D205x300%5Bekm%5D.jpg

[quote name='draven1089']this is a rent once it hit dvds[/QUOTE]

yeah i agree with you after reading the comics i dont think they will e able to pull it off properly. if it had been an animated movie then hell yeah but with real people theres only so much they wil be able to pull off. wish they would hurry up and put out the final comic in the series.

I'm excited -- but then again, I was real excited for Mystery Men, and while I enjoyed it thoroughly, apparently the viewing public (CAGs notwithstanding) didn't.

Oh, this movie looks interesting. Here I was thinking that this thread was about that trailer featuring every action movie trailer (from the past few years) mixed into one trailer.

I'm still trying to find a copy of Wanted that doesn't have the shitty movie tie-in cover. WTF? Same with books like The Road or Master & Commander...you can only find them in the tacky movie version variants.

This movie came out yesterday -- where the hell is all the praise?

I saw it tonight with my cousin, loved the hell out of it. Exactly the kind of over the top, batshit insane action I was hoping for. Highly recommended.

Fun movie. For the most part faithful to the source material, but there are a few glaring changes. Worst part = Nick Cage, Best Part = Hit girl.

Did anyone understand a word
Big Daddy (Nick Cage) was saying while he was on fire? I swear I was expecting to hear "The bees, not the bees, ahhhhhhhh..."

No, even after hit girl put him out it was hard to understand, then again he was on fire. I thought Cage was great, totally nailed it. I was wondering why hit girl cursed so much though, Cage never did once i think, so where did she pick it up?

bread's done
Back