Kickstarter: Ouya Video Game Console (Coming to Target, Amazon, GameStop, Best Buy)

I'm super skeptical but I'm in. I've really enjoyed some iOS/android games but disliked the phone format. I'm hoping to enjoy a few causal games on the Ouya before bed every night.

[quote name='Alcedes']the price is great and all, but remember you'll get what you pay for. Game consoles are always bottlenecked by the GPU, and the fact that they're using a Tegra3 means it's not that great of a GPU. The Tegra platform has always performed very poorly against the PowerVR GPU that's used by Apple. Here's some benchmarks for Anandtech:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/5688/apple-ipad-2012-review/15[/QUOTE]

The Tegra T33 wasn't even released when this article was written. It also said there were shortcomings of their benchmark tests.

I've saw a couple mentions of having till August 9th to decide... Do they not charge your card till the funding end date? Sorry i've never really kept up with Kickstarter besides hearing about certain projects raising X dollars.

I posted earlier that this had potential at the very least as a emulation box but looking at how many people are getting on board I think it'll be worth getting one on the cheap. I wonder if $99.99 will be full retail, it's cheap enough to move product and the real money to be made is the 30% software cut.

They should add Cheap Ass Gamer site integration as a feature ... I want CAG on my TV, between Android games ... just in case I miss any deals while gaming.

BTW ... you know this is totally going to be the best way to play Mario, Sonic and any other past gen games on your TV once the hackers get involved ... yay, open source?

Correct. You don't get charged until it ends and is successfully funded.

[quote name='$hady']I've saw a couple mentions of having till August 9th to decide... Do they not charge your card till the funding end date? Sorry i've never really kept up with Kickstarter besides hearing about certain projects raising X dollars.

I posted earlier that this had potential at the very least as a emulation box but looking at how many people are getting on board I think it'll be worth getting one on the cheap. I wonder if $99.99 will be full retail, it's cheap enough to move product and the real money to be made is the 30% software cut.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='ijustw1n']So the deal is....(please fill in the blank)[/QUOTE]

i don't want banned so I won't say. I did pledge $125 and got the early bird discount.

I love it because this completely opens up opportunities for developers who would not have a chance competing with the big name publishers. This also puts the pressure on those big names to stop sending out polished turd and put some substance into some of these games... hooray for gaming. 3/2013 will be epic

I'm pretty sure they're breaking even, and are not in loss by the project.

Controllers are cheap to make - especially in bulk (they're probably only making any profit atm on the controllers and some of the higher tier rewards) and the Tegra is probably how they're making breakeven on the console (Using the Apple one would have made this cost over $100 easily).

[quote name='sgr76']I love it because this completely opens up opportunities for developers who would not have a chance competing with the big name publishers. This also puts the pressure on those big names to stop sending out polished turd and put some substance into some of these games... hooray for gaming. 3/2013 will be epic[/QUOTE]
This is the Android platform, it's nothing new. They've had a chance at competing with "big name publishers" for a while now.

Can I change my payment method after I pledge? I used a temp debit card, and I should be getting my permanent on in a few days. I just don't know if the number will be the same.

[quote name='gettinmoney662']So is this basically just a way to play mobile games at home on your TV?[/QUOTE]
Pretty much.

[quote name='Jackovasaurus']Can I change my payment method after I pledge? I used a temp debit card, and I should be getting my permanent on in a few days. I just don't know if the number will be the same.[/QUOTE]
I'm pretty sure you can.

[quote name='Jackovasaurus']Can I change my payment method after I pledge? I used a temp debit card, and I should be getting my permanent on in a few days. I just don't know if the number will be the same.[/QUOTE]

Yes you can. At the top of the page, click the "Manage Pledge" button. There you can make any necessary adjustments you need.

I've only bought into one Kickstarter which was the Double Fine Adventure one, but a lot of them are offering you the game / item for a cheaper price than when it launches if you commit. At the end of the day, when the product is shipped, is it really all that different than a thread made for a "Save 5 dollars if you preorder now" deal? This thing might be $125 or $150 retail when it launches, but we don't know.

out of curiousity did this kickstarted start today? so it reached almost 2 million in 1 day? or is this months old 0.o

[quote name='crystalklear64']The future of gaming is mobile....[/QUOTE]

I really don't think that's true, at least not for the foreseeable future...Unless you think most people will only play games on smartphones and portable consoles.

Probably been asked a dozen times already, but how is this a deal? Putting kickstarter nonsense on the deals thread sets a very bad precedent.

Wow, this thing is blowin' up.

Personally, it's not for me. I already have an iPad and Android phone and I rarely if ever play games on them (I think I've bought a grand total of two games, both for 99 cents). I have little interest in the "indie scene" and if I'm sitting down at my television I want to be playing Gears of War or Final Fantasy, not VVVVV or whatever.

That said, I realize there are a ton of gamers who are into the mobile/indie/art game scene, and this console is a very intriguing new development. The ability to freely hack it is especially interesting. I wonder what the online experience will be like; they've revealed that users will have gamertags-- will there be friends lists? chatting? party system? achievements? Very interesting. I hope this is a big success and everyone who pledged is happy with the result.

I'm pretty sure you can. Also, if the payment doesn't go through you have like 2 or 3 days to correct it. I changed a credit card in between one kickstarter pledge and funding and just had to go update it after the fact.

Wow, had I known this was going to be this popular, I actually would have given less money. I am in at the 225 level but now wish I would have picked the 95 or 99 level. Oh well, whats done is done. Now where is my Flint and Tinder underwear dammit!!

I thought about waiting a day or two to think about it. Then I remembered what happened with the Borderlands 2 Ultimate Loot Chest. So I went ahead and pledged $130 (so I can get an extra controller).

I think this thing will at most become a haven for indie-developers. Which is great. It'll be its own thing, coexisting with the consoles we already have.

I doubt we'll be seeing any AAA titles on the unit. But a big budget ain't what makes a game great.

[quote name='Righteous Nixon']Wow, had I known this was going to be this popular, I actually would have given less money. I am in at the 225 level but now wish I would have picked the 95 or 99 level. Oh well, whats done is done. Now where is my Flint and Tinder underwear dammit!![/QUOTE]

you can edit your offering. I have done it before for other kickstarter project.

[quote name='ZildjianKX']Tempted to get one just for emulators :p The box supports 1080P too.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, same here. I'm still on the fence about this, and I can't believe these things are selling like hotcakes. D:

I would like to see them take some of the extra money and invest in some games. Like take a few hundred grand and either buy up the rights to some great indy games or fund some great existing indy games to port it to the Ouya or maybe even fund a respected indy developer to make a completely new game as a free launch title that comes packed with the Ouya.

dropped $129 for a console and 2 controllers. They have a great idea here, really hope it succeeds. an Indie game console sounds awesome.

[quote name='MSI Magus']I would like to see them take some of the extra money and invest in some games. Like take a few hundred grand and either buy up the rights to some great indy games or fund some great existing indy games to port it to the Ouya or maybe even fund a respected indy developer to make a completely new game as a free launch title that comes packed with the Ouya.[/QUOTE]

Their seed money has been nearly doubled in a day. Every dime better go into development and support. At this rate, this thing has no reason to fail. They should even have enough for s strong marketing campaign.

Another issue I have with this is while it runs off Android it is still relatively closed off. Based on what we know that all games must have a free form of the game means that the majority of the "AAA" games on the Google Play store won't be allowed on the Ouya until another version comes out.

As a customer why would I want to spend $100 on a device that is tied to a TV that does not have the scope of games Android has in general when I can pay another $100 and get the same exact specs on the go, HDMI out, microSD slot, and a 7" screen so I can use it wherever I am.

Now before you say "the controller makes a big difference", the tablet I am referencing also has a USB port on it and there are already ways to use 360 wired controllers (and other USB controllers) on android. Granted it may be very tablet specific and not just ICS related, but a controller with android is not a unique concept with the Ouya. Here is the tablet I am talking about .Here is a video showing regular USB controllers working on a tablet with ICS.

"Ouya owners won’t just be able to pluck any old app off the Google Play store, though—developers and customers will have to go through a proprietary Ouya store. This lets the company take a standard 30 percent fee from all content sold" Source

If it means anything to anyone here (it probably doesn't), I'm porting my game Saturday Morning RPG to the Ouya. My company is planning for it to be a launch title on the device.

We've actually pledged at the $699 level, as the year of free promotion is an insanely good deal. It's not apparent on the Kickstarter page, but the Ouya has significant outside investment. They aren't building and producing this solely on the Kickstarter money - Ed Fries is an investor, just look him up. This won't be vaporware by any means - too many respected people are involved with it.

In any case, I'm really excited to be bringing Saturday Morning RPG to the Ouya. We're probably going to include a bit of exclusive content as well.

[quote name='SlightlyOffTrack']"Ouya owners won’t just be able to pluck any old app off the Google Play store, though—developers and customers will have to go through a proprietary Ouya store. This lets the company take a standard 30 percent fee from all content sold" Source[/QUOTE]

Seems a lot less open to me now...I am not saying 30% is unreasonable to ask for, but they are basically excluding every single app currently out for android and asking every single app developer to port their stuff if they want to make money on it.

[quote name='roedaniel19']If the project doesnt meet its goal, do you get your money back? Also, does supporting the project mean you would recieve one of the consoles once its released?[/QUOTE]

I just reread this and laughed a little. I think the issue now is whether or not your $100 would be better spent after they work out all the bugs.

[quote name='RollingSkull']When did CAG stand for Kickstarter fads?[/QUOTE]
Why don't you start a thread here with your complaint instead of crapping up threads when Kickstarter is mentioned?

[quote name='SlightlyOffTrack']Just wanted to let everyone know that I found a cheaper alternative.[/QUOTE]
Cool, so that comes with an Android device of equivalent hardware that isn't subsidized by a cellular provider (before you say a phone is free)?

[quote name='RedFoxCommando']Their seed money has been nearly doubled in a day. Every dime better go into development and support. At this rate, this thing has no reason to fail. They should even have enough for s strong marketing campaign.[/QUOTE]
They're probably making these consoles at close to cost, so there's very little profit to be had for each person that's contributing at the $99 level. It wouldn't surprise me if that $95 early bird level was their estimated cost.

[quote name='Saix_XIII']Another issue I have with this is while it runs off Android it is still relatively closed off. Based on what we know that all games must have a free form of the game means that the majority of the "AAA" games on the Google Play store won't be allowed on the Ouya until another version comes out.[/quote]A demo is considered a free version for their purposes. Most games have either a demo or a free version.

[quote name='SlightlyOffTrack']"Ouya owners won’t just be able to pluck any old app off the Google Play store, though—developers and customers will have to go through a proprietary Ouya store. This lets the company take a standard 30 percent fee from all content sold" Source[/QUOTE]
From their kickstarter FAQs:
As with every platform, though, we have to balance openness with a quality user experience. So we'll have a standard user interface. We'll curate your games in our storefront so they're easy for everyone to get to. And we’ll require that all games we put in our store include a free experience. If you don’t like our choices, root the device and make it your own.
Emphasis mine.

[quote name='Doomstink']If it means anything to anyone here (it probably doesn't), I'm porting my game Saturday Morning RPG to the Ouya. My company is planning for it to be a launch title on the device.

We've actually pledged at the $699 level, as the year of free promotion is an insanely good deal. It's not apparent on the Kickstarter page, but the Ouya has significant outside investment. They aren't building and producing this solely on the Kickstarter money - Ed Fries is an investor, just look him up. This won't be vaporware by any means - too many respected people are involved with it.

In any case, I'm really excited to be bringing Saturday Morning RPG to the Ouya. We're probably going to include a bit of exclusive content as well.[/QUOTE]
I'm excited to try out your company's game, this is what I'm looking forward to with ouya.

[quote name='Saix_XIII']Seems a lot less open to me now...I am not saying 30% is unreasonable to ask for, but they are basically excluding every single app currently out for android and asking every single app developer to port their stuff if they want to make money on it.[/QUOTE]
Ouya’s Android architecture means most existing Android games and apps should work on the system with little to no modification. However, we imagine games designed for a 4-inch phone screen might need some graphical changes before being shown on an HDTV. Ouya owners won’t just be able to pluck any old app off the Google Play store, though—developers and customers will have to go through a proprietary Ouya store. This lets the company take a standard 30 percent fee from all content sold (the store will also provide an “extra layer of security” against piracy through online authentication, a representative told Ars). And while games will be the primary focus for the system, non-gaming apps will also be available on the store, including game-focused live video streaming service Twitch.TV.
He left out a big part of why they need to be in the ouya specific app store. The games need to take advantage of your hdtv and the controller, apps on the play store are made for phones/tablets.
As with every platform, though, we have to balance openness with a quality user experience. So we'll have a standard user interface. We'll curate your games in our storefront so they're easy for everyone to get to. And we’ll require that all games we put in our store include a free experience. If you don’t like our choices, root the device and make it your own.
If you don't like it you can always make it your own(remove the ouya OS and turn it into a full on google android device). You have full control of the hardware not the manufacture, this is why it is "open". You can't do that with any other video game console.

[quote name='Doomstink']It's not apparent on the Kickstarter page, but the Ouya has significant outside investment. They aren't building and producing this solely on the Kickstarter money - Ed Fries is an investor, just look him up. This won't be vaporware by any means - too many respected people are involved with it.[/QUOTE]
A Kotaku commenter suggested that Ouya may not even need any of this money, but that the whole Kickstarter thing is just to generate PR and seed a small group of "Founder" fans who will be heavily invested in hyping the console at launch. If so, mission accomplished.

[quote name='htz']I'm excited to try out your company's game, this is what I'm looking forward to with ouya.[/QUOTE]

Glad to hear it! We're just excited to be able to bring our game to a new audience.

Android Set top box? Looks interesting, but I've got a good game system, I don't need a casual XBLA/PSN type monster that I can't buy used games for, nor sell.

Hell you could probably emulate the whole thing on a fast enough PC.

Oh yea, all we need is another console on the market. Although I guess since this one is 100% digital and limited in graphics to android it'll be a slightly different market.

[quote name='htz']He left out a big part of why they need to be in the ouya specific app store. The games need to take advantage of your hdtv and the controller, apps on the play store are made for phones/tablets.[/QUOTE]

Android 3.1 added support for gamepads. The touchpad might be a special issue, but I imagine that could be solved with an extra library or app. Taking advantage of HDTV...Android allows app developers to support multiple screen resolutions. Given the Nexus 7, for example, has a screen resolution ~720p, it should be able to work well enough on an HDTV.

Point is, main reason there's an Ouya specific App store is so the people making this get the 30% instead of Google.

[quote name='AvidWriter']Oh yea, all we need is another console on the market. Although I guess since this one is 100% digital and limited in graphics to android it'll be a slightly different market.[/QUOTE]

It's worth it if just for all the hardware. Root it and turn it into an emulation paradise - you already have the controller...

The OS is just a bonus. And Notch will probably be involved now - so all those Minecraft addicts will buy this one up.

I wouldn't be too surprised if this soars past the trend based estimate of $60mil and goes to $100m+.

And then the patent trolls will come out... and the Internet will revolt like nothing ever seen before.

bread's done
Back