Kickstarter: Ouya Video Game Console (Coming to Target, Amazon, GameStop, Best Buy)

[quote name='Genocidal']Cool, so that comes with an Android device of equivalent hardware that isn't subsidized by a cellular provider (before you say a phone is free)?[/QUOTE]
You're getting pretty defensive about a good natured rib. Still, I'll bite. The point that I and other skeptics are trying to make is that most of us already possess the ability to do everything this offers without any additional investment. If a person already has an android phone, or even a PC for that matter, why buy this on top of it?

[quote name='htz']He left out a big part of why they need to be in the ouya specific app store. The games need to take advantage of your hdtv and the controller, apps on the play store are made for phones/tablets.

If you don't like it you can always make it your own(remove the ouya OS and turn it into a full on google android device). You have full control of the hardware not the manufacture, this is why it is "open". You can't do that with any other video game console.[/QUOTE]
As I see it, the reason isn't really relevant. Just because a developer of an Android game updates it to work with Ouya doesn't mean it will be accepted. They sell it as being open, but that openness still requires being rooted. The average consumer isn't going to bother with that.

Furthermore, think of the implications of them having their own store. Does this mean that I have to purchase the Ouya version of games I already have from the regular Android store?

EDIT: Also, what Salamando3000 said.

I am not trying to say this is a bad set-top device, but look at the facts.

-Specs are identical to other android devices with USB (and controller) support.
-It is a limited/controlled app store compared to the Google Play store
-It is being advertised as being an open platform, but they are requiring everyone to make apps just for it or to port their apps to it, thus not making it really open per say since they control what is allowed.
-To make it truly open you need to root it...so it isn't open by default, it requires some leg work.

This could be a great streaming device for Netflix, Hulu, Google Music...given all those are submitted and accepted to their store unless you chose to root it. $100 for one of those that can also play some decent games is not bad. But to think this could revolutionize gaming...is rather laughable.

This remindes me of "The First 20 Million is Always the Hardest", just with user support.

I held back because well...investements need a bunch of questions answered. People complain about the recent influx of ads for the Xbox, so will this be the same by the time of release? And how much can you actual hack before the warranty is void, or will they just continue to give me a free one everytime I red light one (or use it to emulate Xbox Live)? So much can change witjin one year.

But they did a brilliant job promoting this, and frankly if a gamer spends $50-$60US on a game when it first comes out then they would have no problem kicking it up for the cost of two games for a new (yet untested) game console. I give them props for raising almost 2mil in one day, but I'm one for waiting for all the bugs and beta tests to be over. Besides, I don't want to be around when all the Kickstart investers find out that there is a delay and that "estimated March" delivery is pushed back a few more months.

Now I'm off to have my name listed in the Special Thanks of a DVD movie.

I don't get paid for convincing you to buy one but what ouya is offering is something not available on the market right now for the price they are asking. I don't think they want the average consumer to root the device anyways. The average consumer will buy it for the $100 price and enjoy a ton of indie developed HD games on the living room TV. The system's "open" nature is designed to attract game developers and modders not consumers. It is just a bonus to know I can finally buy a video game console and have freedom to do whatever I want with the hardware.

As for the store, if you don't like the ouya store. Root the device, and put in an Android rom to get the Play Store on it. If you don't want ouya ported/developed games this console is not for you. If you don't like the hardware specs for the $100 to modify, this console is not for you. Simple as that.

No disrespect to Doomstink and his company, but if those are the general types of games available I don't see this console doing too well. People already are looking for console-quality experiences on portable devices i.e. Infinity Blade, they can already get bite-sized/cheap digital experiences on the consoles available and AAA titles, why get a console that can only do the cheap/bite-sized experiences?

[quote name='htz']They already got thatgamecompany on board, I'm already feel the investment is worth it.[/QUOTE]

There is a huge difference between talking and actually having someone onboard, none of the companies they name dropped have committed to this in any way shape or form. Some have said they like the idea, but that's easy to say and another thing to actually make something for it.

[quote name='iwannadie']Wow, really? A console that plays cell phone games, have we really come to this?[/QUOTE]

Actually we've come from freeware games on PC to porting them onto mobiles. I don't really see the problem.

This will work IF we let it work - simple as that.

Otherwise we all just buy it and root it. No-one really loses out (except Ouya) if this happens.

[quote name='Erad30']Some have said they like the idea, but that's easy to say and another thing to actually make something for it.[/QUOTE]

With all the momentum and talk about the console now on just it's opening day on KickStarter; I don't see why they would NOT want to join in (unless Ouya's developers are EA/Activision in disguise).

And seeing as it's using Android it wouldn't be too hard to port some of the games straight onto the console. Google doesn't really lose out as Android is open-source in the first place and that it wouldn't make a large dent in it's mobile userbase (In terms of Google Play) - remember they do sell other apps than games.

[quote name='Erad30']No disrespect to Doomstink and his company, but if those are the general types of games available I don't see this console doing too well. People already are looking for console-quality experiences on portable devices i.e. Infinity Blade, they can already get bite-sized/cheap digital experiences on the consoles available and AAA titles, why get a console that can only do the cheap/bite-sized experiences?

[/QUOTE]
Good heavens, if the bar for console quality is so low that Infinity Blade qualifies... eugh....

I like it for what it is but it's not quite console quality. Not even close, really.

This console none of you will ever play will look nice next those never played, sealed copies of Deadliest Warrior you all bonered for a couple weeks ago.

[quote name='Erad30']No disrespect to Doomstink and his company, but if those are the general types of games available I don't see this console doing too well. People already are looking for console-quality experiences on portable devices i.e. Infinity Blade, they can already get bite-sized/cheap digital experiences on the consoles available and AAA titles, why get a console that can only do the cheap/bite-sized experiences?

There is a huge difference between talking and actually having someone onboard, none of the companies they name dropped have committed to this in any way shape or form. Some have said they like the idea, but that's easy to say and another thing to actually make something for it.[/QUOTE]
They probably didn't think they will meet there goal so early, so devs were most likely in a wait and see mode. As of right now they are about to hit 2 million and it has not even been 24 hours since the kickstarter went live.

Kickstarter the company was founded in 2008, and this has only been there 8th million dollar project. If this idea was a flop it would not have raised 1 million in less than 24 hours let alone 2 million. This is even before the general populace even knows about it.

For $100 even if this company were to fail, the ooya box would make a nice media center.

[quote name='mjontrix']Actually we've come from freeware games on PC to porting them onto mobiles. I don't really see the problem.

This will work IF we let it work - simple as that.

Otherwise we all just buy it and root it. No-one really loses out (except Ouya) if this happens.

With all the momentum and talk about the console now on just it's opening day on KickStarter; I don't see why they would NOT want to join in (unless Ouya's developers are EA/Activision in disguise).

And seeing as it's using Android it wouldn't be too hard to port some of the games straight onto the console. Google doesn't really lose out as Android is open-source in the first place and that it wouldn't make a large dent in it's mobile userbase (In terms of Google Play) - remember they do sell other apps than games.[/QUOTE]

I still think this is a wait and see sort of deal. 16,000 backers are still less than the # of Xbox 360s sold today (7 years after release). Hype and excitement can only get you so far.

[quote name='RollingSkull']Good heavens, if the bar for console quality is so low that Infinity Blade qualifies... eugh....

I like it for what it is but it's not quite console quality. Not even close, really.[/QUOTE]

It's one of the examples people point to when they claim it's doomsday for the consoles because portable tablets can deliver titles like that. I personally wouldn't know I've never owned a tablet or even a halfway decent cell phone that can play the latest mobile games.

Yeah, and I really wish people would stop doing that. Having a fancy graphics engine does nothing when your games are still so barely substantial. Infinity Blade, Epoch, Dead Trigger, the Gameloft clones... these are not great games in any grand scheme. They are nice ten minute distractions on your phone and have a lot of glitz and flash but the depth or quality just isn't there across the board.

Tablet/phone gaming has a lot of nifty minigames and the like but unless we're talking direct ports of more ambitious efforts, consoles, or even proper handhelds, should not be afraid of being usurped as far as "real" games go. Not yet.

As far as the money goes, probably a different question entirely.

It blows my mind that that many people, especially CAGs, are willing to plunk down $100 for tech they've never seen perform with no recourse if it isn't what is expected/promised. I also don't see any market outside of the people already pledging to this kickstarter. And I'm sure the big 3 are licking their lips, seeing so many people with money apparently burning a hole in their pocket. If any of them happened to be vacillating between a price point and a higher one, they have their answer now.

Another good barometer is the Double Fine Kickstarter. They had 87,142 backers for that one. Backing by a similar amount of people would mean nearly 9 million in funds raised. It will be interesting to see how close it gets to that.

Feel like someone should point out the N-Gage had a lot of support from some pretty big companies. EA, Activision, Ubisoft, Sega...they all threw games on it. Thing still sucked.

Here's a short article that talks about kickstarter and the buying of hypothetical products Link. Worth a quick read. Talks about how KS backers are really buying into a fantasy. The act of backing being more fun than the product itself in many cases. Kind of interesting if you think about how CAG's tend to operate when buying games too.

With the Ouya, pretty sure the console isn't the real "product". It's something they're selling to us at (or near) cost in order to get us using their Ouya store. Our purchases become locked to their system, so we can only play Android games purchased through them on Ouya devices. And they're grabbing money Google would've gotten, had we bought the game through the Android Market. That's the reason this is available for so cheap.

[quote name='panda911']It blows my mind that that many people, especially CAGs, are willing to plunk down $100 for tech they've never seen perform with no recourse if it isn't what is expected/promised. I also don't see any market outside of the people already pledging to this kickstarter. And I'm sure the big 3 are licking their lips, seeing so many people with money apparently burning a hole in their pocket. If any of them happened to be vacillating between a price point and a higher one, they have their answer now.[/QUOTE]

Or people like the concept and want to support innovation in the gaming community?

[quote name='blinknot4']This console none of you will ever play will look nice next those never played, sealed copies of Deadliest Warrior you all bonered for a couple weeks ago.[/QUOTE]
But I open my copy to play with :cry:

[quote name='Salamando3000']With the Ouya, pretty sure the console isn't the real "product". It's something they're selling to us at (or near) cost in order to get us using their Ouya store. Our purchases become locked to their system, so we can only play Android games purchased through them on Ouya devices. And they're grabbing money Google would've gotten, had we bought the game through the Android Market. That's the reason this is available for so cheap.[/QUOTE]

Being open, companies can bypass the Ouya store too. Just like Amazon's market.

I'm betting it's just ad supported for their profit, on top of trying to revolutionize the industry. Apple made music cheap, but it's not like they're not rolling in money.

[quote name='elessar123']Being open, companies can bypass the Ouya store too. Just like Amazon's market.

I'm betting it's just ad supported for their profit, on top of trying to revolutionize the industry. Apple made music cheap, but it's not like they're not rolling in money.[/QUOTE]

It's apparently not that open. This link (Link) was posted a page or two back.

Ouya owners won’t just be able to pluck any old app off the Google Play store, though—developers and customers will have to go through a proprietary Ouya store. This lets the company take a standard 30 percent fee from all content sold (the store will also provide an “extra layer of security” against piracy through online authentication, a representative told Ars).

Why are people fighting over what other people spend their money on? Isn't the point of games to enjoy them? if someone wants to spend the 100 dollars on something that may not come out, shouldn't you just let it go? Why post so many links to articles trying to make them feel stupid?

[quote name='tuffguycore']Why are people fighting over what other people spend their money on? Isn't the point of games to enjoy them? if someone wants to spend the 100 dollars on something that may not come out, shouldn't you just let it go? Why post so many links to articles trying to make them feel stupid?[/QUOTE]

You must be new to the internet. :lol: This is exactly what it was made for.

[quote name='AugustAPC']Or people like the concept and want to support innovation in the gaming community?[/QUOTE]

That would be a valid reason up until the point of funding. Everyone else adding additional funds are really just making financially unsound decisions, since the cost now and at-release are supposedly the same. And unless you're a dev or a modder, this really isn't innovative. It's a set-top box that pairs the downfalls of a console with the potential game library of cell phones. Not what I would want. And the big three are seeing the amount of cash being thrown around, not the threat of an incredibly niche device.

[quote name='Salamando3000']Feel like someone should point out the N-Gage had a lot of support from some pretty big companies. EA, Activision, Ubisoft, Sega...they all threw games on it. Thing still sucked.

Here's a short article that talks about kickstarter and the buying of hypothetical products Link. Worth a quick read. Talks about how KS backers are really buying into a fantasy. The act of backing being more fun than the product itself in many cases. Kind of interesting if you think about how CAG's tend to operate when buying games too.

With the Ouya, pretty sure the console isn't the real "product". It's something they're selling to us at (or near) cost in order to get us using their Ouya store. Our purchases become locked to their system, so we can only play Android games purchased through them on Ouya devices. And they're grabbing money Google would've gotten, had we bought the game through the Android Market. That's the reason this is available for so cheap.[/QUOTE]

Although I admit I supported this project, I can't say I disagree with anything you are saying. Frankly, the idea of supporting Kickstarter projects is often more interesting to me than the final products. I've also supported something like 13 video game Kickstarters including all the recent big ones. I think it's probably the same mentality that leads people to donate to charity or even line up for the latest Apple product. It's about being part of a group and feeling like you're participating. This really isn't that unique of a product and frankly, there isn't much open about it at all. I guess I am just personally intrigued by the whole Kickstarter model and I like the way it looks. I doubt I will ever actually even hook the thing up and frankly, I don't believe there is much of a sustainable business model here. So, yes, it's probably a foolish contribution and it won't be a great device, but I don't regret contributing and I don't think $95 is going to impact my lifestyle in any way, so it's not that big of a deal.

[quote name='panda911']That would be a valid reason up until the point of funding. Everyone else adding additional funds are really just making financially unsound decisions, since the cost now and at-release are supposedly the same. And unless you're a dev or a modder, this really isn't innovative. It's a set-top box that pairs the downfalls of a console with the potential game library of cell phones. Not what I would want. And the big three are seeing the amount of cash being thrown around, not the threat of an incredibly niche device.[/QUOTE]

It's a valid argument regardless. If they like the idea, they have every right to support it in whatever manner they see fit. Your opinions on whether or not it's financially sound is irrelevant.

First and foremost these payments are donations. The items offered are "perks".

Get off peoples' nuts. It's annoying.

[quote name='cancerman1120']You must be new to the internet. :lol: This is exactly what it was made for.[/QUOTE]

Haha, yeah, I guess, I dunno, I try to stay away from it all, guess I can't escape it sometimes :)

[quote name='AugustAPC']It's a valid argument regardless. If they like the idea, they have every right to support it in whatever manner they see fit. Your opinions on whether or not it's financially sound is irrelevant.

First and foremost these payments are donations. The items offered are "perks".

Get off peoples' nuts. It's annoying.[/QUOTE]

To be fair, claiming this device as "innovative" is kind of annoying as well. It's just another Android platform device stripped of the Android marketplace and replaced with another. China has been making similar devices for ages.

I'm not arguing for the sake of winning an argument. I'm just trying to provide some clarity to people who seem to be throwing money at a product that is a big uncertainty. I'm also not so arrogant that I wouldn't change my mind if there were a compelling argument made in its favor, but I haven't seen any thus far.

I'd be curious to know what percentage of backers are console gamers vs PC gamers. I don't know how an avid PC gamer, particularly one who knows of Desura, can look at something like this without scratching their heads. (Please understand I am not trying to start a platform war here, I'm just genuinely interested in who this core audience is here.)

I'm not arguing for the sake of winning an argument. I'm just trying to provide some clarity to people who seem to be throwing money at a product that is a big uncertainty. I'm also not so arrogant that I wouldn't change my mind if there were a compelling argument made in its favor, but I haven't seen any thus far.

Maybe I should go about this a different way. Instead of expecting you guys to try to convince me to get it, perhaps I should ask why you choose to support it. What is so compelling about it that you want to buy this hardware (console + controllers)? Do you not already have the means to do this with another Android device?

In all honest I like the idea behind this. Gaming innovation is something that is needed in the current trends. But this is something that is not going to do it. In all things it looks like a Android platform that is switching out the android market for another market system through Ouya. And the funding alone is what is going to kill Kickstarter. Once these projects start to come to see the light of day and they start to fail people will see a waste of money and that in turns make them not want to support other projects. It happens all the item in the normal retail market. Nothing against the people funding this but at one point there needs to be a limit to it. Over funding and then having projects not live up to expectations will lead to many angry people. There is nothing wrong with funding what you want, it is your money after all.

In some cases like Double Fine I can see them coming out with what they promised. They have a great reputation backing them. This new Ouya device has no one to my knowledge that could give that same amount of experience in backing that Shafer does. Not to say it will not be created. But I doubt it will live up to what people see it to be. Something that kickerstarter is showing is that people want to believe in a dream. But it hasn't shown people that said dreams will not always be great or true to what they want it to be.

For me I find this another attempt at making something that someone thought would be a good idea. And it finding a niche market but fails to build real support on a massive market like current consoles and PCs.

Just can't shake the fact that people are just supporting a "cause". Awesome concept, but not sure it's what you think it is. Maybe I'm just a negative douche. (I honestly hope so)

If the console is completely open and meant to be hacked how are they going to deal with piracy and cheaters in online games?

[quote name='J7.']If the console is completely open and meant to be hacked how are they going to deal with piracy and cheaters in online games?[/QUOTE]

I don't think there'll be much cheating in Farmville or Maple Story.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='wilflare']there's essentially no difference between the 95 and 99 option right?[/QUOTE]

i'm not sure this is true. the way I read it, the first set of buyers are getting one of the first production run, while the $99 buyers are simply guaranteed one before the official release. I might be wrong, though.
But the $99 definitely do get one, and it's basically the same deal.

[quote name='Scorch']I chipped in at the $95 price. I have until the beginning of August to mull it over.[/QUOTE]
[quote name='gordo789']I don't see what this console would offer me as someone who already owns basically every console and also a PC, but I've pitched in at the $95 for now, can always cancel later before the deadline. Am interested in seeing more.[/QUOTE]

Guys, PLEASE don't cancel on kickstarter pledges. It's a "pledge". That means a "solemn binding promise". You've given them your word, and kickstarter only works when people keep their word. Backing out is frowned upon for a reason -- it lacks integrity. A pledge is a pledge.

Sorry if I sound like the internet police, but seriously, grabbing a slot while you "mull it over" and then dropping out not only keeps someone else from those slots, but hurts the dev. Now, it turns out they're doing just fine, but it's the principle.

[quote name='morrodox']Interesting concept, and I wish it the best of luck, but I no longer purchase games without physical media so I'm afraid I won't be contributing.[/QUOTE]

You're going to have a hard time next gen, and an even harder time the gen after that.

[quote name='howlinmad']Just can't shake the fact that people are just supporting a "cause". Awesome concept, but not sure it's what you think it is. Maybe I'm just a negative douche. (I honestly hope so)[/QUOTE]

Meh, dont worry about it I feel the same way about KS.. specially this OUYA. Awesome concept and I like it to succeed, specially I am big Android fan.. but throwing money at them right now is a big NO from me. Once It's available on the market a while maybe then I'll ponder on buying it, and just like a true CAG I'll wait for a deal on it!

The only KS I have supported is Grim Dawn because I was sorely disappointed at Diablo 3 and I loved Titan Quest. I was hesitant but pledged on the last week, and I am still wondering why the eff did I do that. But then Grim Dawn is a game, OUYA is hardware and its going to be hard sell because of an overcrowded gaming market. The best I can see OUYA is finding a cult following/niche market.

I think the crazy thing is that there are 2 backers for the $5,000 or more and 4 backers for the $10,000 or more.

I mean, I want to hop onto the buzz but I'm not sure I can. My tablet does just fine with a mini HDMI and a blue tooth gamepad

[quote name='panda911']It blows my mind that that many people, especially CAGs, are willing to plunk down $100 for tech they've never seen perform with no recourse if it isn't what is expected/promised. I also don't see any market outside of the people already pledging to this kickstarter. And I'm sure the big 3 are licking their lips, seeing so many people with money apparently burning a hole in their pocket. If any of them happened to be vacillating between a price point and a higher one, they have their answer now.[/QUOTE]

Haha it blows your mind? I don't really see what all the fuss is about for $99, it's not $999. I think there is plenty of market as demonstrated today with all the money donated that aren't even getting their "box", I don't even consider it a console.

[quote name='Salamando3000'] Ouya owners won’t just be able to pluck any old app off the Google Play store, though—developers and customers will have to go through a proprietary Ouya store. This lets the company take a standard 30 percent fee from all content sold (the store will also provide an “extra layer of security” against piracy through online authentication, a representative told Ars). [/QUOTE]

I think you should be able to download and install a Google Play app on another device, use APK extractor to get the APK from the app, move that APK to the OUYA, and install!

Last edited by a moderator:
went ahead and put down $99; would have done the $30 extra for controller...but I don't really see where same screen multi-player will boom with games originated on phones and tablets. And even if ones are developed for the Ouya that support it, its not like the touch part of the controller will probably be utilized much and so using a 3rd party controller (like a PS3 controller) would work just fine.

The techie in me loves the concept of an open games console.

The cheapskate in me loves the $99 price tag.

The gamer in me hates the reality of "free" games, which is to clutter the screen with ads, nickel and dime the hell out of you for in-game items, and/or to require that you subscribe to a service.

I'll wait and see.

Hi, for all those who are not convinced yet, I see Ouya as a device with multiple posibilities.

As Tegra 3 is a quad core, and supports 1080p H264 decoding, the device should act also as a media player/media server/web server/torrent downloader/linux box (ubuntu)/old consoles emulator/more.

I plan to have this device to play casual games with my wife (I cant hook her to the PS3 or 360). Her favourite games are on Android...

And everyone will have the same device with the same specs. Thats a good thing. Software will flourish.

And Tegra 3 games look really good. Specs are good.

And its inexpensive as hell. 100 bucks? I'm in.

To me, this seems like a glorified demo machine. Yes, there are no licensing fees, which is great, but the gimmick for this thing is that every game must have "some" free content. Aka...demos. It's only $99, yes, but with the expected price drops coming later this year, I still don't see how this is a better value over a PS3 or 360, or a PC-on-a-stick like the Equiso Smart TV.

So, I read this thing raised $2.4 million as of this morning. My concern, like others have voiced here, is the licensing fees. This isn't just a game coming to PC or a mainstream console, it's a console itself. What are they going to do once initial interest wanes, and the next generation of mainstream consoles hit next year? I see it as something that may last until then, but otherwise, kind of a waste.

Really though, them raising about $2.5 million in 24 hours irs pretty impressive. I can only imagine the ridiculous funding a steam box would get.

A few interesting tid-bits from a USA Today article.

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/gaming/story/2012-07-10/ouya-game-console/56118310/1

1. The console box is about the size of a Rubik's cube. (That seems small and not friendly to modding to me)

2. Online and mobile game sales make up a growing portion of the $60 billion global games industry and next year may surpass console and PC games spending, estimates consulting firm PricewaterhouseCoopers, "We wanted to come up with an idea that really leveraged where the growth in gaming was and bring it to the television," says Uhrman. (Seems to me this is again a weird idea, bringing mobile games to the TV?)

3. Uhrman (Company CEO), a games industry veteran who previously worked at online game rental company GameFly, IGN.com and Vivendi Universal. (Take that however you want)

4. Current investors have staked Ouya enough for the company to develop working console and controller prototypes. Ouya begins a funding campaign today to raise $950,000 on Kickstarter.com for further product development. Ouya's plan is to have its system available in the first quarter of 2013
(So your money IS for development still. I will be interested to see if these are made and how much other investors are willing to lose to get this going in the end).

5. "It is still super complicated to bring games to the living room, which is one of the reasons we are seeing all the growth move to mobile platforms," Uhrman says. "Some really high-profile developers are leaving their shops and going to mobile. It shouldn't have to be this way." (This still does not address the quality of the games. Angry birds on the 360 is still just fricking Angry birds)

bread's done
Back