Kickstarter: Ouya Video Game Console (Coming to Target, Amazon, GameStop, Best Buy)

I pledged this project to..

1. Get an inexpensive moddable sandbox machine that will probably have a very nice tweaking community, Linux etc.

2. Get a cheap ass android console for my child, who now won't have to steal my $250 tablet to play "simple" games. :applause:

Seriously, the second reason is what clinched the deal for me!

[quote name='cancerman1120']A few interesting tid-bits from a USA Today article.

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/gaming/story/2012-07-10/ouya-game-console/56118310/1

1. The console box is about the size of a Rubik's cube. (That seems small and not friendly to modding to me)

2. Online and mobile game sales make up a growing portion of the $60 billion global games industry and next year may surpass console and PC games spending, estimates consulting firm PricewaterhouseCoopers, "We wanted to come up with an idea that really leveraged where the growth in gaming was and bring it to the television," says Uhrman. (Seems to me this is again a weird idea, bringing mobile games to the TV?)

3. Uhrman (Company CEO), a games industry veteran who previously worked at online game rental company GameFly, IGN.com and Vivendi Universal. (Take that however you want)

4. Current investors have staked Ouya enough for the company to develop working console and controller prototypes. Ouya begins a funding campaign today to raise $950,000 on Kickstarter.com for further product development. Ouya's plan is to have its system available in the first quarter of 2013
(So your money IS for development still. I will be interested to see if these are made and how much other investors are willing to lose to get this going in the end).

5. "It is still super complicated to bring games to the living room, which is one of the reasons we are seeing all the growth move to mobile platforms," Uhrman says. "Some really high-profile developers are leaving their shops and going to mobile. It shouldn't have to be this way." (This still does not address the quality of the games. Angry birds on the 360 is still just fricking Angry birds)[/QUOTE]

1) They mentioned that the hardware modding was mainly the ability to remove/add new chips, etc. They did say that all the hardware would be documented, so if you really wanted you could probably dremel the case and add a second USB or something. Other than that, you can easily unscrew it, remove the guts, and put it in anything you want for further modification. The point is, you can and they document the hardware. I'm personally glad it's no bigger than a rubix cube...

2) No one said anything about bringing mobile games to the tv. They want to give all of the mobile game developers that don't have the resources or budget to develop for a major console an outlet to create console games. They're also looking to attract indie PC developers by expanding their market to the livingroom.

3) It is what it is.

4) It's a kickstarter, what do you expect? The point of the site is to donate money to projects so they're able to create something you want to consume. Ouya is MUCH further along in development than most Kickstarter projects. It clearly states what their intentions are and that the product won't be ready until next March.

5) Again, you're misunderstanding the intention. There hasn't been a console that has supported free indie development until Ouya. They're looking to give developers with no budget a console they can produce games for. Yes, it's based on Android so there will be some Android ports, but that's not the intention. The quality of the games should be along the lines of the indie games you see on Steam.

As much as I would love to support this, I'll just wait till it's on the market and there is actually something I want on it.

Great Idea and I hope the best for it.

I pledged yesterday. A $100 HDMI output Netflix and emulation machine is a huge deal. There are emulators out for Android that run just as well as they do for PC.

[quote name='coleipoo']I pledged yesterday. A $100 HDMI output Netflix and emulation machine is a huge deal. There are emulators out for Android that run just as well as they do for PC.[/QUOTE]

Emulation is something I REALLY want on this box, but I question if it will happen/stay up. I mean They say its open but I bet when something "breaks the law" or is even remotely questionable its taken down. I dont see them standing up to lawsuits that Nintendo and the others inevitably toss at them.

This is nothing more than another group of people trying to create their own ecosystem and calling it "open". No system can be open. There has to be rules in place or else it is chaos. Sure they are going to allow any piece of crap to be on their store but does that REALLY benefit the consumer?

[quote name='AionTelos']As much as I would love to support this, I'll just wait till it's on the market and there is actually something I want on it.

Great Idea and I hope the best for it.[/QUOTE]

As you should. Theyve already met their goal. Exceeded it and will probably exceed ten-fold by the end of the month. they have the money, so now they need to prove their worth. It takes wayyyy more than a good idea and funding to bring a game console to market.

3DO had funding. Just sayin' although this seems way more revolutionary than some cheap direct competitor to Nintendo and Sega

[quote name='cancerman1120']This is nothing more than another group of people trying to create their own ecosystem and calling it "open". No system can be open. There has to be rules in place or else it is chaos. Sure they are going to allow any piece of crap to be on their store but does that REALLY benefit the consumer?[/QUOTE]

The PC is open

Why are people saying this is "revolutionary"? They are using an established OS with and established way of making mobile games. They added a controller. Trying to see the revolution in all this.

[quote name='MSI Magus']Emulation is something I REALLY want on this box, but I question if it will happen/stay up. I mean They say its open but I bet when something "breaks the law" or is even remotely questionable its taken down. I dont see them standing up to lawsuits that Nintendo and the others inevitably toss at them.[/QUOTE]

There's already tons of emulators for Android, and Nintendo isn't shutting the tablet business down.

What is this exactly, a box that supports digital games only? Is that really a format we should support? I mean, if they see success in selling a console which only supports digital content, then aren't we just helping push things in the wrong direction? There has already been discussion about the removal of physical games, which obviously at this point no one wants. But if a company like this is successful, then we're that much closer to such a conclusion. I don't know, I don't think I like that...

[quote name='cancerman1120']Really? Exactly how is your copy of Diablo III open?[/QUOTE]
I dont think you understand the definition of the term as its being applied. The game itself isnt, but the platform its on (PC) is

Diablo 3 is a closed game on an open platform.

And this device IS open, if you read the page you'd know that. They actually encourage rooting the device which means you can load any apps you want whether they come from the thing's app store or not. How much more "open" do you want?

And finally, the idea isn't to put mobile games on the TV, it's to provide a console-like platform that's as easy to develop for as mobile.

[quote name='cancerman1120']Really? Exactly how is your copy of Diablo III open?[/QUOTE]

That has nothing to do with an open system. The fact that they could create Diablo 3 without needing a dev license is.

[quote name='N3UROP0D']
And finally, the idea isn't to put mobile games on the TV, it's to provide a console-like platform that's as easy to develop for as mobile.[/QUOTE]

Is this why they put the gamepad on the controller? Yes their intention is to make console games like mobile games but exactly what do you think is going to be there in full force? Mobile games ported to this system.

[quote name='JoshCohen999']i just found a URL of Ouya global trade company which is a Chinese scam which probably is related to this:
http://www.scambook.com/report/view...-ouyaglobal.com--Complaint-118091-for-$286.20
this is still probably a large Chinese Ponzi scheme that we will hear about on American Greed next year.

"Ouya Fooled ya: Thousands of Gamers' Dream Console becomes their worst Nightmare"

ill be laughing so hard LOL[/QUOTE]

Why would you laugh if a bunch of people you associate with got ripped off?

[quote name='cancerman1120']Why are people saying this is "revolutionary"? They are using an established OS with and established way of making mobile games. They added a controller. Trying to see the revolution in all this.[/QUOTE]

You and many others are just cynical in nature and seem to enjoy pissing on everyone elses parade. Again I think very few of us are tossing around the word revolutionary and even when it is I think few are saying it WILL be revolutionary and more that it COULD be.

Even a semi open platform is a huge step. Something that doesnt have massive dev kit costs and hurdles to jump through. Something that is digital only. Something that encourages a new way to sell games(everything must be free but can have paid content). There are a half dozen or more ways that this COULD be considered a revolutionary console but that you cant even see one says more about you and the other nay sayers then the console itself.

Again even though I have backed this I consider myself a doubter, I think at most point even most of the backers are indeed doubters. What you are being is not a doubter though, its just cranky.

[quote name='MrshllJcb']Why would you laugh if a bunch of people you associate with got ripped off?[/QUOTE]

Because again some people cant handle anyone believing anything other then what they believe. Thus all the people in this topic not raising skeptical questions but instead just shitting out every last thing anyone says and going out of their way to make this seem not like something that should be looked at critically but instead lambasted.

People complain that this is not a deal, yet it is the most popular thread on CAG right now based on the front page. People are saying this console will fail yet this kickstarter is about to hit 3 million dollars in a little over 24 hours with 28 days to go. People that pledged can always back out within the 28 days if they feel its not worth it.

Me personally, I bought it for the cool looking controller and box with tegra 3 for $100. The indie developed games and the idea of supporting a device to make it easier for everyone to get into game development is just a bonus.

So I don't see what the problem is currently that people need to fight over this console being non innovative and that everything about the ouya is fake. Those that are not pledging shouldn't need to guilt trip the ones that are pledging, just enjoy the ride while those that pledged get to experience how its like to see a new console being made.

[quote name='MSI Magus']You and many others are just cynical in nature and seem to enjoy pissing on everyone elses parade. Again I think very few of us are tossing around the word revolutionary and even when it is I think few are saying it WILL be revolutionary and more that it COULD be.

Even a semi open platform is a huge step. Something that doesnt have massive dev kit costs and hurdles to jump through. Something that is digital only. Something that encourages a new way to sell games(everything must be free but can have paid content). There are a half dozen or more ways that this COULD be considered a revolutionary console but that you cant even see one says more about you and the other nay sayers then the console itself.

Again even though I have backed this I consider myself a doubter, I think at most point even most of the backers are indeed doubters. What you are being is not a doubter though, its just cranky.[/QUOTE]

I started out interested in this but the more I read the less excited I got it seems. Read this and see how you feel after it.

http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/IanF...OUYA_the_Android_console__naivete_at_work.php

[quote name='htz']People complain that this is not a deal, yet it is the most popular thread on CAG right now based on the front page. People are saying this console will fail yet this kickstarter is about to hit 3 million dollars in a little over 24 hours with 28 days to go. People that pledged can always back out within the 28 days if they feel its not worth it.

Me personally, I bought it for the cool looking controller and box with tegra 3 for $100. The indie developed games and the idea of supporting a device to make it easier for everyone to get into game development is just a bonus.

So I don't see what the problem is currently that people need to fight over this console being non innovative and that everything about the ouya is fake. Those that are not pledging shouldn't need to guilt trip the ones that are pledging, just enjoy the ride while those that pledged get to experience how its like to see a new console being made.[/QUOTE]

I bought it because I see it as putting my money where my mouth is. Regardless of if this makes it to release or flops at release or becomes a huge succese I am speaking with my wallet. I have adapated to buying games at $10 for full release titles and largly playing games on my IPad, PSN and Steam. Its where the innovative games are coming out and it is where I can get games at a reasonable cost. Next generation I planned on relying on the flood of backlog and picking up a Vita/3DS(which should have dropped in half in price by then)till the PS4/720 drop in price. Enter a company releasing a $100 console that is not focusing on the biggest most craziest graphics ever and promising a new pricing model and a semi open platform. They are addressing most of the issues I have raised with gaming. I kind of feel like as a gamer and as a consumer I need to put my money where my mouth is. Even if this thing fails I think a fair number of gamers are speaking in a very very loud voice right now and saying we want change. I do not think that we hold the power the soccer mom does, but I think people are nuts if they do not think Sony and MS are not paying attention to something like this with their next consoles coming.

A little wrestling humor...

If he were still alive, Macho Man's favorite gaming console would be #OUYA

oooh yeah! snap into a slim jim!

[quote name='cancerman1120']I started out interested in this but the more I read the less excited I got it seems. Read this and see how you feel after it.

http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/IanF...OUYA_the_Android_console__naivete_at_work.php[/QUOTE]

Someone already posted this. Because none of us really have any idea how this is gonna end up we should all just wait and see. You can pledge or you don't have to, nobody will be upset either way, but all the instant negativity is a little over the top.

[quote name='cancerman1120']I started out interested in this but the more I read the less excited I got it seems. Read this and see how you feel after it.

http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/IanF...OUYA_the_Android_console__naivete_at_work.php[/QUOTE]

I already read it and it just comes across dickish. One of the responders already ripped apart much of what he said. Heck the guy was flat out wrong on a few things he said(like the claim that the video showed Gears of War). Dont get me wrong he did raise a few good points, but as I said someone countered his points much more effectivly and again I rarely trust "journalists" when their posts are dripping with dickish sarcasm and cynicism. Be a professional.

[quote name='htz']People complain that this is not a deal, yet it is the most popular thread on CAG right now based on the front page. People are saying this console will fail yet this kickstarter is about to hit 3 million dollars in a little over 24 hours with 28 days to go. People that pledged can always back out within the 28 days if they feel its not worth it.

So I don't see what the problem is currently that people need to fight over this console being non innovative and that everything about the ouya is fake. Those that are not pledging shouldn't need to guilt trip the ones that are pledging, just enjoy the ride while those that pledged get to experience how its like to see a new console being made.[/QUOTE]

I have been pretty vocal in my opposition this morning. I am not try to guilt anybody into anything really. I am not trying to rain on your parade either. My concern is mostly from the perspective that an open console would be great but I also want it to be done right. This company is basically asking US to fund their attempt at this. If they fail do you think it will be tried again? If they put up all the funds and it fails because it is a bad model then fine, maybe someone does it better next time. If the gaming public funds this and it fails you can bet noone will touch this idea for a long time. I am being critical yes but I am not against the idea at all.

This is the respones I was talking about on the gamesutra article. I believe the writer was E. Zachery Knight

A few responses:

1. The Android Game Library is Barely Compatible with the OUYA.

No body claimed they would be compatible out of the box. Developers will need to make changes to existing games if they want them to run on the OUYA. That is a given considering the entire user interface has changed. The Console will also have an SDK that will allow for said changes.

2. The Android Game Library is Extremely Lackluster

I guess that is a matter of opinion. I have found a number of games that I enjoy that would work on a larger scale if some work was done on it. But if you always base opinions of a platform's signal to noise ratio, then the PC's game library is extremely lackluster as well.

Given time, the OUYA's game library could be as good as PSN or XBLA. It also has some serious developer backing as well: InXile, Owlchemy Labs, Semi Secret, Storm8, Spry Fox, Madfinger Games, Trendy Entertainment, Happion Labs, Mojang, Jordan Mechner, and thatgamecompany. If they can get those companies and others to make games for this console, then they will have a strong line up.

3. Indies Will Not Fill the Void

Big name publishers such as EA, Activision and Ubisoft didn't take the iPhone and Android phones seriously at first either. Yet they are now making a number of mobile games that have some success. I am not saying that OUYA needs these AAA developers, but it was only after the indies proved the market that big publishers and developers took those platforms seriously.

4. The Userbase Problem

I would say that an initial install base of 21,154 and growing is a good start. These are people who have either already pre-ordered the console ($95 or more) or who plan to get one at launch ($

[quote name='MrshllJcb']Why would you laugh if a bunch of people you associate with got ripped off?[/QUOTE]

first of all ive watched American Greed dozens of times. so i am wary of this. i laugh at all the suckers who will be ripped off by Mr Ouya in China. he gets people to pledge to invest in his "genius" idea then he gives them some fake "news" about building the console then some fake "prototypes", and some extra hype from paid-off news articles, which will get even more suckers to pledge to invest in his "grand invention". during this time, with the investors' money, instead of actually building the console, Mr Ouya is living a lavish lifestlye in Beijing, collecting Rolex watches, Rembrandts, and Ferraris,etc. he will place investors money in offshore accounts and offshore assets in other peoples names, then ultimately flee to enjoy his hard-earned wealth. ive seen these investor-type scams numerous times on American Greed. this will all make for a wonderful show next season. you can thank Mr Ouya who fooled ya

bottom line is, if you want an Android Game Console you should instead petition or lobby Google to create it. everything else is nonsense. nuff said.

Didn't really bring up anything I hadn't though about before for an open platform. I agree with a lot of the hardcore gaming issues and I know they seem to be pushing it as the next big thing in gaming.

I am actually excited for it for reasons outside of hardcore gaming. It could make a great set top box and with little barrier to entry it is great for encouraging indie devs to mess around. I have no expectations for anything near a large budget title to come out of this.

I will admit that I am not the norm when it comes to things like these because I develop software for a living so I like to hack around on these things. I would be happy to see these actually come out. Maybe I will even see this before I finally get my Raspberry Pi!

[quote name='JoshCohen999']first of all ive watched American Greed dozens of times. so i am wary of this. i laugh at all the suckers who will be ripped off by Mr Ouya in China. he gets people to pledge to invest in his "genius" idea then he gives them some fake "news" about building the console then some fake "prototypes", and some extra hype from paid-off news articles, which will get even more suckers to pledge to invest in his "grand invention". during this time, with the investors' money, instead of actually building the console, Mr Ouya is living a lavish lifestlye in Beijing, collecting Rolex watches, Rembrandts, and Ferraris,etc. he will place investors money in offshore accounts and offshore assets in other peoples names, then ultimately flee to enjoy his hard-earned wealth. ive seen these investor-type scams numerous times on American Greed. this will all make for a wonderful show next season. you can thank Mr Ouya who fooled ya

bottom line is, if you want an Android Game Console you should instead petition or lobby Google to create it. everything else is nonsense. nuff said.[/QUOTE]
The company was founded by former IGN head of digital distribution Julie Uhrman, and is backed by the likes of Xbox co-creator Ed Fries; Muffi Ghadiali, who worked at Amazon's Lab126 where he helped to ship the Kindle; and One Laptop Per Child designer Yves Béhar.

^I'm sure those people are willing to scam the public out of a couple millions to ruin there reputation and name.:roll:

[quote name='JoshCohen999']
bottom line is, if you want an Android Game Console you should instead petition or lobby Google to create it. everything else is nonsense. nuff said.[/QUOTE]

I know right? Only Google could possibly make an Android Game Console!! What you are saying is nonsense. Do you seriously believe that Yves Behar is in on this scam?

It is kind of funny that there are so many insisting this is a scam. It could totally go belly up from mismanagement and we all spent our cash on nothing. But with the team that they have managed to assemble it would be one hell of a scam if they were indeed just trying to screw people from the start.

[quote name='Saablic']I know right? Only g=Google could possibly make an Android Game Console!! What you are saying is nonsense. Do you seriously believe that Yves Behar is in on this scam?[/QUOTE]

1. why would you invest $99 in it? the MSRP is $99. wait till it ever releases in 2016 and buy it for $99. it probably wont even make it into production

2. those names are pointless. all he has is an idea he came up with and some photoshopped graphics photos. he has nothing tangible. no prototype. just graniose ideas.

3. most inventions fail. thats a fact. when this fails, all the investors' money will be lost. youll be lucky to get a penny on every dollar you invested

4. if that guy wants funding for his little idea he should finance it through a Bank and get loans from them. the Banks are smart and wont loan him the money. there is way too much Risk involved. thats why he is asking you.

5. his idea, at its current undeveloped state, nobody should invest in this unless they dont care about losing their money. even if this isnt a scam, its a very bad investment. thats the bottom line

Just because it has quotes from indie developers does not mean they're on board. The quoted aren't even that positive or specific.

Sorry that was in response to this
Given time, the OUYA's game library could be as good as PSN or XBLA. It also has some serious developer backing as well: InXile, Owlchemy Labs, Semi Secret, Storm8, Spry Fox, Madfinger Games, Trendy Entertainment, Happion Labs, Mojang, Jordan Mechner, and thatgamecompany. If they can get those companies and others to make games for this console, then they will have a strong line up.

"Chief executive Julie Uhrman had told the Guardian that venture capital firms had been skittish about the prospects for the Ouya console, leading the company to raise its seed funding from family and friends, before turning to Kickstarter to get feedback from consumers and developers to help them take it all the way."

This statement just worries me.

Another good article. Touches a bit on the openess idea and the pitfalls.

http://www.psfk.com/2012/07/what-is-ouya.html

[quote name='JoshCohen999']1. why would you invest $99 in it? the MSRP is $99. wait till it ever releases in 2016 and buy it for $99.

2. those names are pointless. all he has is an idea he came up with and some photoshopped graphics photos. he has nothing tangible. no prototype. just graniose ideas.

3. most inventions fail. thats a fact. when this fails, all the investors' money will be lost. youll be lucky to get a penny on every dollar invested

4. if that guy wants funding for his little idea he should finance it through a Bank and get loans from them. the Banks are smart and wont loan him money.

5. his idea, at its current undeveloped state, nobody should invest in this unless they dont care about losing their money. even if this isnt a scam, its a very bad investment. thats the bottom line[/QUOTE]

1. They never released any info on the retail price of the console. Normally kickstarter products sell for more once it goes to retail like the popular pebble watch.
  2. Who is this "he" are you talking about? The CEO of the company is a "she". They do have working prototypes, did you not watch the video?
  3. If people think like you, nobody would be investing on the products you use today.
  4. The banks won't loan money to anyone right now, period.

From the description of this thing it sounds like they are pushing for a freemium model. Freemium/in app purchases on the iOS store often ruin what could be a good game by nickel and diming you. I hate this pricing model. I'd much rather spend the money for a game up front and not have to buy my way to upgrades or whatever.

[quote name='cancerman1120']"Chief executive Julie Uhrman had told the Guardian that venture capital firms had been skittish about the prospects for the Ouya console, leading the company to raise its seed funding from family and friends, before turning to Kickstarter to get feedback from consumers and developers to help them take it all the way."

This statement just worries me.

Another good article. Touches a bit on the openess idea and the pitfalls.

http://www.psfk.com/2012/07/what-is-ouya.html[/QUOTE]

That's not to forget that their ceo's gaming credits are ign a consumer based news source and gamefly, a game rental company. I'd assume most is in the marketing area but those are hardly hardly resume credits to lead a new console.

My biggest issue boils down to one thing....This platform already exists as a home console in the form of the ASUS Transformer Prime. Yes I admit that is a very expensive alternative and not really feasible for the masses who want something quick, small, and cheap.

But then we have the Acer ICONIA TAB A110 which will be $200, have the exact same specs, be more open since it can use both the Google Play Store as well as the Amazon app store. It also has HDMI out, USB, microSD slot, and a 7" screen. Yes I understand it's $100 more, but you get something you can play anywhere you go whether it be on TV or on an airplane.

I just don't see how it is revolutionary when something like it already exists, and something near identical to it will be on market sooner than it.

Again for a Netflix/Hulu/Last.fm/etc box $100 is great and I would rather one of those over a Roku any day due to it at least having a decent game library, but I don't see the revolution it'll bring.

Quit making the tablet comparison. A tablet is $300+ and this is $99. I've connected my tablet to the tv before but I'd prefer a dedicated device. Also with usb adapters you can use original nes, snes, and 64 controllers to make this an awesome emulator box. I can even play dead space, madden, mass effect and gta3 from the play store. Not to mention thre games designed for it. I expect to see side scrolling return. This has a great potential but its not made for the cod fan. If you see this and think "my ps3 has better graphics and can run first person shooters" then this isn't for you. Move along.

I think of it this way - I spent ~$99 on a Roku box to stream Netflix / Hulu / Crunchyroll / etc. Can I use my PC and save money? Yes. But my Roku is not near my computer, it is hooked up to a TV where I work out.

In the same way, depending on how the software marketplace fares and what games end up on it, I'll probably have this to either house an emulator or some as-yet-unseen purpose that the hacking community in general hasn't thought of yet. I can imagine it will have a Linux port a week after launch and running XBMC in a month.

[quote name='AngryNerdJosh']Quit making the tablet comparison. A tablet is $300+ and this is $99. I've connected my tablet to the tv before but I'd prefer a dedicated device. Also with usb adapters you can use original nes, snes, and 64 controllers to make this an awesome emulator box. I can even play dead space, madden, mass effect and gta3 from the play store. Not to mention thre games designed for it. I expect to see side scrolling return. This has a great potential but its not made for the cod fan. If you see this and think "my ps3 has better graphics and can run first person shooters" then this isn't for you. Move along.[/QUOTE]

Um the tablet I mentioned will be $200, which is $100 more than this is currently (who knows what MSRP will be) and you get a lot more for the money. And with the USB adapter on a tablet you can use a controller as well...

[quote name='MSI Magus']
2. The Android Game Library is Extremely Lackluster

I guess that is a matter of opinion. I have found a number of games that I enjoy that would work on a larger scale if some work was done on it. But if you always base opinions of a platform's signal to noise ratio, then the PC's game library is extremely lackluster as well.
[/QUOTE]

Wait, what? I know this is an opinion but seriously? I mean you can look through the entire Steam catalog and tell me with a straight face that it's all lackluster while also saying that there's a number of enjoyable Android games?

Really?!?

Sometimes I don't get human beings.:whistle2:k

Also, you do realize that most western games that come out on consoles get release for the PC as well. They may be crappy console ports but we still get them.

The Japanese are a different story but personally I find most of their recent stuff stagnant, trite and derivative (with the odd gem here and there). They may even be coming around to doing PC ports slowly. We'll have to see how Dark Souls PC does.

I realize this was all to make a point and counter an internet argument (ah interner arguments :p) but while I like a few android games here and there, it really just has nothing on the PC for me in terms of games. Which isn't to say that there can't be better Android games, I absolutely believe there can, I think the market is just currently geared to cheap simple games that aren't very complex to make.

Maybe this device will change that or maybe not. We'll see.

Uhh I thought the only reason to have ios and android games was to keep you busy on the toilet, but I don't have a tv in my bathroom for this.

The question as a developer making an Android game becomes, do I make a game for a controller or a touchpad? If your installed base is 10-50x larger for handheld games, why would you make a game for a TV on android? This is a huge uphill battle for this console. Could you make the game for both? Sure but I am just not sold that the mobile market and console market need mixing. And before you say that is not what this system is you can bet that is what carries it at first. Unless they get some developers to commit to launch titles for their system, it will be flooded with mobile game ports.

[quote name='Saix_XIII']Um the tablet I mentioned will be $200, which is $100 more than this is currently (who knows what MSRP will be) and you get a lot more for the money. And with the USB adapter on a tablet you can use a controller as well...[/QUOTE]

I know. I played arkham city on my tablet with a controller. It was cool. I paid over $300and for it. Problem is my kids want to read comics on it when i want to play games. TBH I'm willing to spend $100 on this just to play old roms. It beats hooking up a pc or softmodding a wii or xbox

bread's done
Back