Kickstarter: Ouya Video Game Console (Coming to Target, Amazon, GameStop, Best Buy)

[quote name='cancerman1120']The question as a developer making an Android game becomes, do I make a game for a controller or a touchpad? If your installed base is 10-50x larger for handheld games, why would you make a game for a TV on android? This is a huge uphill battle for this console. Could you make the game for both? Sure but I am just not sold that the mobile market and console market need mixing. And before you say that is not what this system is you can bet that is what carries it at first. Unless they get some developers to commit to launch titles for their system, it will be flooded with mobile game ports.[/QUOTE]

Well considering every Android tablet made since I believe 3.1 that has a USB port/bluetooth works with a controller I can see devs just doing both since tons of tablets already work with a gamepad.

[quote name='caltab']From the description of this thing it sounds like they are pushing for a freemium model. Freemium/in app purchases on the iOS store often ruin what could be a good game by nickel and diming you. I hate this pricing model. I'd much rather spend the money for a game up front and not have to buy my way to upgrades or whatever.[/QUOTE]
The FAQ explains that by "every game being free" they mean that every game will at least have a free demo. So developers can choose a pay model as long as they release a free demo for it. So not too different from all the Xbox/PS3 games that have free demos.

This isn't the first attempt at an open game console. The company Envizions released a Linux based console about 4 years ago called the EVO Smart Console. They announce the Android based EVO 2 back in May:
http://www.engadget.com/2011/05/25/evo-2-console-promises-to-bring-android-gaming-to-your-tv-this-f/
http://www.envizionsinc.com/evo2.html

Also, while not strictly a console, there was already a Kickstarter for an Android-based device that hooks up to your TV. The video for the Pocket TV shows them playing games on it, and it uses the Google Play store for apps:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/484889112/the-pocket-tv-makes-any-tv-a-smart-tv

[quote name='AngryNerdJosh']I know. I played arkham city on my tablet with a controller. It was cool. I paid over $300and for it. Problem is my kids want to read comics on it when i want to play games. TBH I'm willing to spend $100 on this just to play old roms. It beats hooking up a pc or softmodding a wii or xbox[/QUOTE]

Oh and I agree that is a great use for this, but is what you plan on doing with this make it revolutionary to the gaming market in any way?

This is a very interesting project. I fully expect media apps to be built for it, so it will essentially compete with Apple TV, Roku and the various other $99 TV boxes IMO. The differentiator here is that it is primarily a gaming device. If it runs emulators well I will likely get one.

[quote name='marsilies']The FAQ explains that by "every game being free" they mean that every game will at least have a free demo. So developers can choose a pay model as long as they release a free demo for it. So not too different from all the Xbox/PS3 games that have free demos.

This isn't the first attempt at an open game console. The company Envizions released a Linux based console about 4 years ago called the EVO Smart Console. They announce the Android based EVO 2 back in May:
http://www.engadget.com/2011/05/25/evo-2-console-promises-to-bring-android-gaming-to-your-tv-this-f/
[/QUOTE]
At $249 that device will sink without trace, not to mention it looks like s**t.

[quote name='neo.dorsia']This is a very interesting project. I fully expect media apps to be built for it, so it will essentially compete with Apple TV, Roku and the various other $99 TV boxes IMO. The differentiator here is that it is primarily a gaming device. If it runs emulators well I will likely get one.

At $249 that device will sink without trace, not to mention it looks like s**t.[/QUOTE]

Actually the price is $129-$179 depending on configuration.

[quote name='marsilies']This isn't the first attempt at an open game console. The company Envizions released a Linux based console about 4 years ago called the EVO Smart Console. They announce the Android based EVO 2 back in May:

Also, while not strictly a console, there was already a Kickstarter for an Android-based device that hooks up to your TV. The video for the Pocket TV shows them playing games on it, and it uses the Google Play store for apps:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/484889112/the-pocket-tv-makes-any-tv-a-smart-tv[/QUOTE]

Found another Kickstarter for a "Smart TV" Android device called the Equiso:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2028163448/equiso-smart-tv-turn-any-tv-into-a-smart-tv/

This one seems somewhat underpowered compared to the OUYA and Pocket TV, although it's a bit cheaper at $69. The "Pro" version at $99 is a bit more in line with the others, especially if the stretch goals are met.

[quote name='Saix_XIII']Oh and I agree that is a great use for this, but is what you plan on doing with this make it revolutionary to the gaming market in any way?[/QUOTE]

No but if developers make cheap good games than yes. I'd love some platformers for $6.99.

I fully expect emulators. Just install the slideme marketplace on it. They have the best emulators. I use a usb adaptee to use the old controllers so it feels like the real thing.

OVER hyped. OVER rated. Relax. People are feeling altruistic over this, like this is saying FU to the man.

It's an android plugged into your television with a controller. There's nothing revolutionary about this project. You're excited over the fantasy of this being something huge. A few months after this comes out, the excitement will have gone away and this will become your new N-gage.

[quote name='htz']
  1. They never released any info on the retail price of the console. Normally kickstarter products sell for more once it goes to retail like the popular pebble watch.
  2. Who is this "he" are you talking about? The CEO of the company is a "she". They do have working prototypes, did you not watch the video?
  3. If people think like you, nobody would be investing on the products you use today.
  4. The banks won't loan money to anyone right now, period.
[/QUOTE]

1. you are the OP. you posted this Investment opportunity without telling us the Risks involved. Business is War. not a Fairytale world. dont get angry. i take what i learned in Finance and apply it to this Ouya.

2. the large banks think this Ouya is too risky to invest in. venture capitalists similar to Mitt Romney also think its too risky. an investment with this much risk is considered junk

3. where is the prototype? i saw the little 3 minute video and there was no prototype device anywhere. there is a very high probability that this idea wont even make it into production. that woman simplified everything. there are tons of problems from conception to production along the product chain

4. it will face heavy competition from Nintendo, and especially Sony and Microsoft. neither of them wants Ouya to come in and take market share from them. they defend that turf like drug dealers. they pay people to crush cockroaches like her and erect huge barriers of entry. they will sign exclusive contracts with developers and manufacturers and retailers to keep her out, enact predatory pricing, etc etc etc. they want her to fail and will do everything they can to do so. crushing competitors is their main goal.

5. who should develop an Android game console? Google. why? they develop the OS and change the firmware to their own liking. they also have tons and tons and tons of money to throw at an Android Game console, just like Microsoft had billions to throw at the original Xbox. you need a big bank account to play in the big leagues

6. the OP probably has a relation to that woman in the video, since he came here to convince people to invest in her toy. try harder next time my friend. the risks far outweight the benefits. the Banks told you everything i just did. the Banks wont loan you money and neither will I. nuff said

[quote name='JoshCohen999']1. you are the OP. you posted this Investment opportunity without telling us the Risks involved. Business is War. not a Fairytale world. dont get angry. i take what i learned in Finance and apply it to this Ouya.

2. the large banks think this Ouya is too risky to invest in. venture capitalists similar to Mitt Romney also think its too risky. an investment with this much risk is considered junk

3. where is the prototype? i saw the little 3 minute video and there was no prototype device anywhere. there is a very high probability that this idea wont even make it into production. that woman simplified everything. there are tons of problems from conception to production along the product chain

4. it will face heavy competition from Nintendo, and especially Sony and Microsoft. neither of them wants Ouya to come in and take market share from them. they defend that turf like drug dealers. they pay people to crush cockroaches like her and erect huge barriers of entry. they will sign exclusive contracts with developers and manufacturers and retailers to keep her out, enact predatory pricing, etc etc etc.

5. who should develop an Android game console? Google. why? they develop the OS and change the firmware to their own liking. they also have tons and tons and tons of money to throw at an Android Game console, just like Microsoft had billions to throw at the original Xbox.

6. the OP probably has a relation to that woman in the video, since he came here to convince people to invest in her toy. try harder next time my friend. the risks far outweight the benefits. the Banks told you everything i just did. the Banks wont loan you money and neither will I. nuff said

[/QUOTE]

I feel a ban coming his way.

[quote name='iamthekiller']OVER hyped. OVER rated. Relax. People are feeling altruistic over this, like this is saying FU to the man.

It's an android plugged into your television with a controller. There's nothing revolutionary about this project. You're excited over the fantasy of this being something huge. A few months after this comes out, the excitement will have gone away and this will become your new N-gage.[/QUOTE]

And you feel the need to come in and crap on people why? I think its better to be a person hyped for possibilty and "saying FU to the man" then either a cranky old man or a loser living with his mom. I mean who else would be such an asshole to shit on other people the way you just did? See, its easy to judge the motives of those you have never met.

[quote name='JoshCohen999']1. why would you invest $99 in it? the MSRP is $99. wait till it ever releases in 2016 and buy it for $99. it probably wont even make it into production

2. those names are pointless. all he has is an idea he came up with and some photoshopped graphics photos. he has nothing tangible. no prototype. just graniose ideas.

3. most inventions fail. thats a fact. when this fails, all the investors' money will be lost. youll be lucky to get a penny on every dollar you invested

4. if that guy wants funding for his little idea he should finance it through a Bank and get loans from them. the Banks are smart and wont loan him the money. there is way too much Risk involved. thats why he is asking you.

5. his idea, at its current undeveloped state, nobody should invest in this unless they dont care about losing their money. even if this isnt a scam, its a very bad investment. thats the bottom line[/QUOTE]

I actually didn't do the kickstarter. I just said I am pulling for it. I was pointing out that some well known people's names are tied to this. Don't you think those people would be complaining if their name was being used in a scam?

At least now you changed your bottom line to it being a risky investment. I can't argue that there isn't risk involved but most people are just putting down $100 which isn't much.

[quote name='cancerman1120']I feel a ban coming his way.[/QUOTE]

Ban for what???? stating my Opinion that this is a bad investment with high Risks???? yes it is a bad investment if neither Banks nor Venture Capitalists will Lend money to Ouya. i dont need to convince you and neither do the Banks.

I haven't pitched in, but would definitely buy one when released.

Really tempted to develop for it, whether it'd be helping port Wine over, or making my own dungeon crawler and releasing it for free.

[quote name='Saix_XIII']Oh and I agree that is a great use for this, but is what you plan on doing with this make it revolutionary to the gaming market in any way?[/QUOTE]

Maybe I'm missing something but who cares if it is or isn't revolutionary? That's their marketing spiel, sure, but as an adult and an educated consumer I can look past that and assess the actual idea on its own.

To me, based purely on the price, proposed specs, and the general philosophy of the Ouya, it's a good idea and a good value. That doesn't mean it'll succeed but at this point I think that statement can be filed under "no duh".

Contrary to common sense, good ideas often fail, bad ideas can succeed, and investors pass up million-dollar ideas (so to speak) all the time.

[quote name='JoshCohen999']Ban for what???? stating my Opinion that this is a bad investment with high Risks???? yes it is a bad investment if neither Banks nor Venture Capitalists will Lend money to Ouya. i dont need to convince you and neither do the Banks.[/QUOTE]

Because you are either a troll or a person with so little respect for other peoples opinions that you appear as a troll. Either way no one will want you in this community.

i will compare 2 kickstarter inventions. a better investment is the Pebble e-paper watch:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/597507018/pebble-e-paper-watch-for-iphone-and-android

they actually showed a video with the actualy working prototype in action doing everything they stated.they were far along the development cycle. that obviously had alot less risk than the Ouya. it was probably alot easier for them to raise funds, and Banks would probably have funded them as well. so would i

the same cannot be said about Ouya. all their video shows is a bunch of people working on computers. it shows some android games running on a TV. it shows a small circuitboard thing, then shows people carving out a foam controller. then there is this woman hyping up everything. there is no working tangible prototype like in the Pebble video. i wanted to see a prototype but none exists. just grandiose ideas from a dellusional woman.

so, based on watching the Pebble video and the Ouya video i will rate the investments for your portfolio.

Pebble watch: A+
Ouya console: C

you should learn to Respect other peoples' opinions.

[quote name='JoshCohen999']1. you are the OP. you posted this Investment opportunity without telling us the Risks involved. Business is War. not a Fairytale world. dont get angry. i take what i learned in Finance and apply it to this Ouya.

4. it will face heavy competition from Nintendo, and especially Sony and Microsoft. neither of them wants Ouya to come in and take market share from them. they defend that turf like drug dealers. they pay people to crush cockroaches like her and erect huge barriers of entry. they will sign exclusive contracts with developers and manufacturers and retailers to keep her out, enact predatory pricing, etc etc etc. they want her to fail and will do everything they can to do so. crushing competitors is their main goal.

5. who should develop an Android game console? Google. why? they develop the OS and change the firmware to their own liking. they also have tons and tons and tons of money to throw at an Android Game console, just like Microsoft had billions to throw at the original Xbox. you need a big bank account to play in the big leagues

[/QUOTE]
Whoever said this is an investment opportunity? I'm pretty sure its common sense what the risks is involved, and if you can't risk $100 you shouldn't be doing it in the first place. This video game console is targeted at developers and gamers, not venture capitalists out to make money. The $3 million dollars they raised so far, proves that people do want this to happen even if it turns out to be a niche market.

I don't see the Big 3 wasting time trying to compete with ouya, when they have more bigger things to worry about. Its not like the ouya is going to come out with the next AAA FPS shooter. I'm also not related to the women in that video, I only made this post to have a friendly discussion about the ouya (which is nothing but friendly anymore) and that I made a pledge.

[quote name='N3UROP0D']Maybe I'm missing something but who cares if it is or isn't revolutionary? That's their marketing spiel, sure, but as an adult and an educated consumer I can look past that and assess the actual idea on its own.

To me, based purely on the price, proposed specs, and the general philosophy of the Ouya, it's a good idea and a good value. That doesn't mean it'll succeed but at this point I think that statement can be filed under "no duh". [/QUOTE]

But from what I've read and seen here, there seems to be plenty of people who've bought into that spiel. They keep claiming how this'll be innovative and revolutionary and a true haven for indie devs and so on. So one of my big questions is "Why"?

The box itself is nice. If the specs remain the same at launch (and they keep the $99 launch point they've advertised since before this Kickstarter even began), I can see myself getting one and replacing their Ouya OS with a stock Android OS. If you really need to buy all software through their proprietary storefront if you use the OS the machine comes with, to me that makes their OS even more closed than any vanilla Android OS. The box itself would be open, yes, but not the OS.

It's not revolutionary in the hardware or OS.

Its revolutionary in the fact is its sales and development model for a home console.

[quote name='JoshCohen999']the same cannot be said about Ouya. all their video shows is a bunch of people working on computers. it shows some android games running on a TV. it shows a small circuitboard thing, then shows people carving out a foam controller. then there is this woman hyping up everything. there is no working tangible prototype like in the Pebble video. i wanted to see a prototype but none exists. just grandiose ideas from a dellusional woman.[/QUOTE]
So, other consoles descended from heaven fully formed? The Xbox and PlayStation didn't start from just ideas?

This is a risk, everyone gets that. Like any business, the company might fail and the product might never come out. Why do you claim to have special knowledge that the CEO is "delusional," the company has no other investors aside from Kickstarter donations, and it's a surefire failure?

[quote name='htz']Whoever said this is an investment opportunity? I'm pretty sure its common sense what the risks is involved, and if you can't risk $100 you shouldn't be doing it in the first place. This video game console is targeted at developers and gamers, not venture capitalists out to make money. The $3 million dollars they raised so far, proves that people do want this to happen even if it turns out to be a niche market.

I don't see the Big 3 wasting time trying to compete with ouya, when they have more bigger things to worry about. Its not like the ouya is going to come out with the next AAA FPS shooter. I'm also not related to the women in that video, I only made this post to have a friendly discussion about the ouya (which is nothing but friendly anymore) and that I made a pledge.[/QUOTE]

asking for money for an invention is an investment opportunity. they obviously went to the Banks and Venture Capitalists and were denied the Loans they asked for. also why would i risk $100? im a Cheap Ass Gamer, i can buy an Xbox 360 on Black Friday for about $100 and it has a higher processing power than a Ouja and i can play AAA FPS on it and Skyrim. The Big 3 do not consider it a waste of time to crush would-be competitors. Thats why there exist only 3 of them. they dont underestimate the opposition. the question here is why did you get angry when i stated the major Risks in investing in Ouja? you dont like that I analyzed it and pointed out the faults and shortcomings?

[quote name='Salamando3000']But from what I've read and seen here, there seems to be plenty of people who've bought into that spiel. They keep claiming how this'll be innovative and revolutionary and a true haven for indie devs and so on. So one of my big questions is "Why"?[/QUOTE]
You're asking why people bought into it? Hell if I know. Like I said people should be able to make their own decisions, whether that's to buy into the hype, take it on its actual merits and flaws, or even blindly criticize the thing.

I just think it would be better to properly separate criticism of the device, its marketing, and the people who support or oppose it.

[quote name='JoshCohen999']asking for money for an invention is an investment opportunity. they obviously went to the Banks and Venture Capitalists and were denied the Loans they asked for. also why would i risk $100? im a Cheap Ass Gamer, i can buy an Xbox 360 on Black Friday for about $100 and it has a higher processing power than a Ouya and i can play AAA FPS on it and Skyrim. The Big 3 do not consider it a waste of time to crush would-be competitors. Thats why there exist only 3 of them. they dont underestimate the opposition. the questions here is why did you get angry when i stated the major Risks in investing in Ouja? you dont like that I analyzed it and pointed out the faults and shortcomings?[/QUOTE]
It sounds like your the one angry...

[quote name='JoshCohen999']i will compare 2 kickstarter inventions. a better investment is the Pebble e-paper watch:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/597507018/pebble-e-paper-watch-for-iphone-and-android

they actually showed a video with the actualy working prototype in action doing everything they stated.they were far along the development cycle. that obviously had alot less risk than the Ouya. it was probably alot easier for them to raise funds, and Banks would probably have funded them as well. so would i

the same cannot be said about Ouya. all their video shows is a bunch of people working on computers. it shows some android games running on a TV. it shows a small circuitboard thing, then shows people carving out a foam controller. then there is this woman hyping up everything. there is no working tangible prototype like in the Pebble video. i wanted to see a prototype but none exists. just grandiose ideas from a dellusional woman.

so, based on watching the Pebble video and the Ouya video i will rate the investments for your portfolio.

Pebble watch: A+
Ouya console: C

you should learn to Respect other peoples' opinions.[/QUOTE]

I hope that finance degree didn't cost you anything because they surely didn't teach you any critical thinking or reading skills. They state multiple times that they have a working prototype and it would make sense that the "small circuitboard thing" IS the prototype, although there are also images of a console and controller (though hard to tell if these are physical or digital mockups).

I think everyone that's shitting all over this project has made their opinions heard and doesn't need to keep trotting out the same (sometimes uninformed) points over and over again to flame or scare people away. This part is general and not directed at the guy whose main contribution to the forum so far is trolling this thread.

[quote name='htz']It sounds like your the one angry...[/QUOTE]

Considering he is spending his day attacking others and trying to rip apart something that has no effect on him. Indeed

[quote name='JoshCohen999']i can buy an Xbox 360 on Black Friday for about $100 and it has a higher processing power than a Ouja and i can play AAA FPS on it and Skyrim.[/QUOTE]

This system is obviously not for you and there's nothing wrong with that, but we're all (mostly?) adults here and can make decisions for ourself. What are you doing?

On a more positive and on topic end they are about to hit 3 million. Absoultly insane. Again as I said earlier even if 23,000 backers is not enough to attract the attention of the big 3 you can bet that $3million in around 24 hours does(well except maybe Nintendo since they live in a bubble).

[quote name='Genocidal']I
the guy whose main contribution to the forum so far is trolling this thread.[/QUOTE]

first of all, you couldnt attack my argument so you decided to attack me instead, right?

second of all, i did contribute to the forum by offering my opinion of reasons on how this is can be a Risky investment, and since your are CheapAssGamers you should spend your money wisely.

[quote name='MSI Magus']On a more positive and on topic end they are about to hit 3 million. Absoultly insane. Again as I said earlier even if 23,000 backers is not enough to attract the attention of the big 3 you can bet that $3million in around 24 hours does(well except maybe Nintendo since they live in a bubble).[/QUOTE]
It just crazy how they are reaching the next million faster than the previous million. Should probably get 4 million by the end of tonight. I can't fathom how much they will receive in 28 days.

[quote name='htz']It just crazy how they are reaching the next million faster than the previous million. Should probably get 4 million by the end of tonight. I can't fathom how much they will receive in 28 days.[/QUOTE]

I bet it slows. Many projects have a big start but dont keep up pace. My guess is they top out anywhere between 5 and 10 million.

[quote name='MSI Magus']I bet it slows. Many projects have a big start but dont keep up pace. My guess is they top out anywhere between 5 and 10 million.[/QUOTE]
And they just went past 3 million. Yeah its bound to slow down, as everybody that wants one would had bought one by the 1st week.

Edit: Interesting stats from kickstarter, http://www.kickstarter.com/blog/ouyas-big-day.

[quote name='NedHead']The techie in me loves the concept of an open games console.

The cheapskate in me loves the $99 price tag.

The gamer in me hates the reality of "free" games, which is to clutter the screen with ads, nickel and dime the hell out of you for in-game items, and/or to require that you subscribe to a service.

I'll wait and see.[/QUOTE]

Man, you nailed it. I'm of exactly the same mind... i think pretty much everything about this concept is brilliant, except I dread IAP and freemium models and think both are the downfall of gaming as we know it, because both lead to terrible game design decisions which cripple and unbalance games.

Yet I still feel the urge to get one just for the emulation possibilities. Unfortunately, I think the $99 is more than I should spent right now.

[quote name='htz']It just crazy how they are reaching the next million faster than the previous million. Should probably get 4 million by the end of tonight. I can't fathom how much they will receive in 28 days.[/QUOTE]

I wonder if there's a point where they could actually start losing money as people donate...Kickstarter takes 5% right off the top, and Ouya needs to spend money on these rewards. As of right now, of the ~24k backers, ~21k are in the "Get a console + controller" tiers. If they're selling the hardware at cost (let's include shipping there), any money gained from those tiers goes right back out the door when the ship the units. They could in theory reach a point where Kickstarters fees take all the money earned from every other tier.

'Course, they are getting a ton of publicity out of this.

I read this thread and all I can think of is:

Columbus: "I'm going to sail around the world to the indies and discover a new trade route."
people: "You idiot! It's already been established that the world is flat, you're going to sail over the edge"

I'm not saying this thing will or won't be successful and change the gaming industry. At the end of the day, no one on either side of the argument really knows and won't know unless someone tries.

Let's see ...

Low price of entry
DLNA waiting to happen, full 1080p support and probably every file format you can shake a stick at (certainly Plex, hopefully XBMC)
Will likely have emulators up the wazoo

There's no reason to think this won't actually be released. They've got more than enough funding, backing and industry experience.

Banks probably didn't want to invest because of a sour economy, perceived competition from the Big 3, and just not understanding the device, its market or purpose.

I can't wait to see what Indie developers create for this thing. Will be far better supported than OpenPandora, for sure.

[quote name='cancerman1120']I have been pretty vocal in my opposition this morning. I am not try to guilt anybody into anything really. I am not trying to rain on your parade either. My concern is mostly from the perspective that an open console would be great but I also want it to be done right. This company is basically asking US to fund their attempt at this. If they fail do you think it will be tried again? If they put up all the funds and it fails because it is a bad model then fine, maybe someone does it better next time. If the gaming public funds this and it fails you can bet noone will touch this idea for a long time. I am being critical yes but I am not against the idea at all.[/QUOTE]

What a ridiculous argument. You think "an open console would be great", even though you've posted:

[quote name='cancerman1120']This is nothing more than another group of people trying to create their own ecosystem and calling it "open". No system can be open. There has to be rules in place or else it is chaos. Sure they are going to allow any piece of crap to be on their store but does that REALLY benefit the consumer?[/QUOTE]

Which clearly states you don't.
Not to mention, you followed that up by referencing Diablo 3 proving the PC isn't 'open', which just shows your lack of understanding of what open and closed systems are.

It's quite clear, based on all your posts, you also have an irrational dislike of Kickstarter. I mean, you state:
"My concern is mostly from the perspective that an open console would be great but I also want it to be done right. This company is basically asking US to fund their attempt at this."

Listen, that's the entire POINT of kickstarter. To get projects underway that have demand (we, the people) but not necessarily big name investors.

"If they fail do you think it will be tried again?"

Was it ever tried before? Kickstarter is part of the reason it IS being tried.

People keep saying you just piss on everyone else's parades, and honestly, it's absolutely true. You named yourself well, because you post as if you're a cancer.

And I haven't even bought into this system, mostly because I don't have a spare $100. But your negativity and vitriol throughout, combined with your misunderstanding of basic terms like 'open' and 'closed', is just a sad, sad, thing to read.

[quote name='htz']Whoever said this is an investment opportunity? I'm pretty sure its common sense what the risks is involved, and if you can't risk $100 you shouldn't be doing it in the first place.
[/QUOTE]

Exactly - when I invest money in something, I expect that I will get a return in the form of more money. Would I, as a personal investor, invest in this business venture? Not based on the information provided on Kickstarter. I would want financial information on how exactly they are going to make money, what their projections are for earnings and cash flows, growth projections, and other relevant investor information.

All my pledge of $100 means is that I am willing to pay $100 for this product, and hoping that the can take my $100 and make it happen and give me a deliverable end product. I am not going to profit off my pledge and don't plan to. This is a non-refundable full price pre-order, nothing more.

[quote name='Salamando3000']I wonder if there's a point where they could actually start losing money as people donate...Kickstarter takes 5% right off the top, and Ouya needs to spend money on these rewards. As of right now, of the ~24k backers, ~21k are in the "Get a console + controller" tiers. If they're selling the hardware at cost (let's include shipping there), any money gained from those tiers goes right back out the door when the ship the units. They could in theory reach a point where Kickstarters fees take all the money earned from every other tier.

'Course, they are getting a ton of publicity out of this.[/QUOTE]

The thing is too that the more publicity and backers this gets the more they can raise money from other sources. The banks that told them they were not viable before are more likely to give them a loan now with 30,000-50,000 customers and $5+ million in hand(thats if they even want a loan). They also will have a much easier time finding investors that Josh seems to think they need for legitimacy. They have all the tools they need financially in front of them now, so its just a matter of do they have a smart team that manages both their money and the development wisely.

[quote name='affa']What a ridiculous argument. You think "an open console would be great", even though you've posted:

Which clearly states you don't.
Not to mention, you followed that up by referencing Diablo 3 proving the PC isn't 'open', which just shows your lack of understanding of what open and closed systems are.

It's quite clear, based on all your posts, you also have an irrational dislike of Kickstarter. I mean, you state:
"My concern is mostly from the perspective that an open console would be great but I also want it to be done right. This company is basically asking US to fund their attempt at this."

Listen, that's the entire POINT of kickstarter. To get projects underway that have demand (we, the people) but not necessarily big name investors.

"If they fail do you think it will be tried again?"

Was it ever tried before? Kickstarter is part of the reason it IS being tried.

People keep saying you just piss on everyone else's parades, and honestly, it's absolutely true. You named yourself well, because you post as if you're a cancer.

And I haven't even bought into this system, mostly because I don't have a spare $100. But your negativity and vitriol throughout, combined with your misunderstanding of basic terms like 'open' and 'closed', is just a sad, sad, thing to read.[/QUOTE]

First off, my name is cancerman because I work on the development of cancer drugs...so unless you have saved a life shut the fuck up.

Second my point of an "open" console is different from the "open" ecosystem I was referring to. They will have their own store. It will have to be managed. It will NOT be an open system. It cannot be. There will have to be rules in place to protect the developers investment. You may be able to do what you want with the hardware but their software will still be a closed system.

Third, this type of idea HAS been tried before. If you look back several people have pointed out products that are either on Kickstarter or in development like the Evo2.

Fourth, I have contributed to several Kickstarters. Double Fine and the Wasteland ones to be more specific. I do not have an irrational dislike of the concept. Launching a game and a console are completely different beasts. Microsoft spent 500 million on launching the Kinect and more on the original xbox...this is the kind of stuff this concept is up against.

Edit: I also never personally attacked anyone during my arguments so you may disagree with what I say and I may have a few facts wrong but I am at least not an ass like you taking swipes at my character.

[quote name='cancerman1120']
Edit: I also never personally attacked anyone during my arguments so you may disagree with what I say and I may have a few facts wrong but I am at least not an ass like you taking swipes at my character.[/QUOTE]

I'm not taking swipes at your character. I'm telling you that you come off as constantly raining on people's parades throughout this thread.
I don't care what you do for a living, and I wasn't insulting that. I was telling you that your personality IN THIS THREAD is a complete downer to read.

Get over yourself. I referenced your username on a internet gaming site. That's not a criticism of you as a person, nor your job. It's is, however, saying that i find it ironic you sound like a cancer in this thread.

EDITED: and in case i need to be clear, by 'cancer' i mean the general definition of the word,not the biological one -- "a condition that spreads destructively' -- as in, you are consistently derailing this thread with your negativity. and i don't care what the hell you do for a living, 'saving lives' is not a pre-requisite to post opinions.

Is there any other situation in which you'd buy a new console, sight unseen, with only those who had a hand in its creation ever having access to it? No preview events , no review process, nothing. You only have an ideal and the creator's glowing remarks to go off of. I know it's only $100, but $100 is still $100. Imagine if you had bought Molyneux's recent games based only on his development commentary. Of course I'm not dictating how people spend their money, but this seems like a neat, if limited concept with a slick marketing angle that screams appeal to emotion of tired gamers in the midst of the longest console generation, yearning for anything different. But to each their own and it's not like it's failing. They already have 3 million and I see an Ouya defense force already forming in this very thread.

[quote name='panda911']Imagine if you had bought Molyneux's recent games based only on his development commentary. [/QUOTE]

Project Ego is going to be so sick!!!! Oh wait. :cry:

Somewhat not really related : True Fantasy Live Online Kickstarter. Make it happen!

[quote name='panda911']Is there any other situation in which you'd buy a new console, sight unseen, with only those who had a hand in its creation ever having access to it? No preview events , no review process, nothing. You only have an ideal and the creator's glowing remarks to go off of. I know it's only $100, but $100 is still $100. Imagine if you had bought Molyneux's recent games based only on his development commentary. Of course I'm not dictating how people spend their money, but this seems like a neat, if limited concept with a slick marketing angle that screams appeal to emotion of tired gamers in the midst of the longest console generation, yearning for anything different. But to each their own and it's not like it's failing. They already have 3 million and I see an Ouya defense force already forming in this very thread.[/QUOTE]

The hardware specs and the OS make it easy to draw comparisons to hardware already in the market to get a very good idea of what this will be capable of. It's more like launching a spec-locked PC than launching a console in that regard.

Sorry, that JoshCohen999 guy was Flying Frog, who's in the temp ban house for trying to be king troll around here. Sent him packing as well. That's why the post count in the thread shrunk a bit.

[quote name='affa']
Get over yourself. I referenced your username on a internet gaming site. That's not a criticism of you as a person, nor your job. It's is, however, saying that i find it ironic you sound like a cancer in this thread.

[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

I love how a dissenting opinion is somehow a cancer now. Better toughen up buddy. In my line of work if someone is not disagreeing with you then you are doing it wrong. People are excited and that is great, but if you cannot listen to reasons why it might not be that excited there is the ignore button. This was never a "deal" thread to begin with so I never treated it like one. There can be debate without hurt feelings. I never called anyone stupid for spending their money. That is their choice. I am just expressing my reasons for not.

$3M in 24 hr.

Makes me thinking I might just back out of my pledge... since they don't need me, and it's most likely it'd be cheaper and better later...

[quote name='Asgardian']$3M in 24 hr.

Makes me thinking I might just back out of my pledge... since they don't need me, and it's most likely it'd be cheaper and better later...[/QUOTE]

Won't lie, I'm considering it since I'm not sure I have 100 bucks to just throw on this right now, but I feel like it would be kind of shitty to pull out of this at this point.

[quote name='tuffguycore']Won't lie, I'm considering it since I'm not sure I have 100 bucks to just throw on this right now, but I feel like it would be kind of shitty to pull out of this at this point.[/QUOTE]

Part of me feels I should pull out and play it safe but a big part of me also feels that this is an opportunity to put my money where my mouth is and as a consumer say something. I am not delusional and believe that it is likely this is a revolution, but for every million this project raises the better the chance the next gen of games wont run us $600 for the console and $80 for the games.

bread's done
Back