killing puppies - how is this freedom of speech

arcurifisher

CAGiversary!
I've defended every violent video game, pritty much ever, but I just saw something in a game that is beyond wrong. In Red Dead Remption you can capture, kill and then skin puppies. How can I remotely begin to defend that... I think this may finally be the game that gets pulled from shelves.. So wrong in so many ways..

Rockstar Games is like the kid in school who keeps doing things to get in trouble for the sole reason of getting attention. The routine is beyond old now.

Um.

How, exactly, is this not covered by the whole "free speech" thing? I mean, you stated that it isn't, but... your argument, please?

Wow. Do you see them skinning the puppies? Or is it like a Bioshock thing where the screen fades out and the kid/puppy is gone?
It is optional, yes?

I dont think this is as bad as the mw2 massacre, but still... depends how much they show. IMO.

[quote name='mtxbass1']So wait. You have no problem seeing a human get torn to shreds in a game, but when it's a puppy, it's an issue?[/QUOTE]
Maybe because its puppies and not full grown dogs? IDK...I understand and sorta side with the OP if that's the case.

Then again, this is coming from a guy who ate veal marsala yesterday.

I don't like killing puppies either, but in the guy's defense he was probably *very* hungry.

I'm going to play the game first to judge and see. But that is definitely wrong - and the difference between humans and animals is that it is a "puppy". There is no game where you kill babies or even kids. Except Baby Punters 2006.

[quote name='DarkNessBear']I'm going to play the game first to judge and see. But that is definitely wrong - and the difference between humans and animals is that it is a "puppy". There is no game where you kill babies or even kids. Except Baby Punters 2006.[/QUOTE]
Do the Demon babies of Dante's Inferno/Dead Space count?

Seriously? A skinned puppy? It's not even real. The airport massacre in MW2 is far and away worse than skinning a puppy and I played the airport massacre a number of times.

You'd kill babies in any games made by Paul Robertson. In fact, you'd even get to kill the pregnant teenage mothers, who would then birth their zombie fetuses, which you would then kill.

Surprisingly, this one be one of the more tame things you'd do.

[quote name='arcurifisher']I've defended every violent video game, pritty much ever, but I just saw something in a game that is beyond wrong. In Red Dead Remption you can capture, kill and then skin puppies. How can I remotely begin to defend that... I think this may finally be the game that gets pulled from shelves.. So wrong in so many ways..[/QUOTE]

But scalping people in GUN isn't worse than this, correct? I am not for killing animals, but it is a freaking video game. The scalping in GUN and the massacre in MW2 are just 2 off the top of my head that I would find more offensive than this.

You have the option to kill puppies in the game. And in real life.

*gasp*

i think i understand, and correct me if im wrong. but the way i see it is, people hear about human death all the time, ex: the news. and we've killed humans in video games for a while now so we're used to it. i've never heard of anyone catching and skinning puppies and never played something like that in a game. hopefully you follow what im getting at.

I agree, it's a sadistic action, and who could harm a puppy - really?
However, like many others have already mentioned, it is an animal, regardless its looks and social popularity and just a creature that has less value of life than humans yet, there's tons of movies and games of humans getting tortured and killed. But we have been desensitized by that already.
And how many games have given you the ability to kill or harm other animals? TONS.
Does it make it right? No, of course not, but it's nothing exactly "new" as far as any limits go.
This is just a more bold act with a really cute animal that's socially loved by many people. If it were a cow or something I wonder if people, including the OP, would feel more outraged...?
Hamburgers anyone?

My friend was shocked about the scene where the user kills all the civilians in the airport. I didn't have a problem with it.

Am I the only one who actively tries to kill random animals I see in video games? I always try to kill rats, birds, cats, dogs, etc in a game just to see if I can.

I guess the question is, why even put it in there, is it really that important? I've bought so many of these type of games, and frankly I play then and shelve them soon after, so I'm skipping this one.

Eh... I can see why people could be offended, but what did you expect? It's Rockstar! Also, the killing puppies thing is entirely optional.

[quote name='Malik112099']Am I the only one who actively tries to kill random animals I see in video games? I always try to kill rats, birds, cats, dogs, etc in a game just to see if I can.[/QUOTE]
That is the first step in becoming a virtual serial killer... you monster.

[quote name='The Crotch']Um.

How, exactly, is this not covered by the whole "free speech" thing? I mean, you stated that it isn't, but... your argument, please?[/QUOTE]
It's not free speech because he doesn't like the speech.

[quote name='Sparta Omni']If it were a cow or something I wonder if people, including the OP, would feel more outraged...?
Hamburgers anyone?[/QUOTE]

It would be offensive to people in India. Fallout 3 didnt get a release there due to the mutated cow.

Anyway PETA will do something but thats about it. And there will be people more outrage that you can kill a puppy over killing random Russians because dogs are a huge part of some people's life.

Even though it's a game, as far as I can tell, you have the option to do it or not to do it... so if it bothers you, don't do it.

Can you link us where it says this specifically? Is it like fresh outta the womb wolf pups? or is it just young wolves, which would make plenty of sense in the setting. Or are we talking about little yellow lab pups sitting on someones porch. Also know that from what im reading the animal has to be dead for you to skin it, no evil "lets skin it alive and then post it on the internet to show evil even though we probably skinned the animals ourselves just to support our inane eco terrorism"

edit: I have read that they state any animal can be skinned, but again, are there actual dog pups in the game? I highly doubt they would be required to skin anyways, and as many have said, its a game. In real life it may be quite disgusting, but if your an even remotely intelligent person, you should know the difference between real and fake. And again the setting, back then skinning was a viable source of income for many, including animals like dogs and racoons and whatnot. If this was a modern day game, I could see it being much more offensive, walking down ole suburbia and then killing and skinning old man jenkins pet beagle. This however, is the wild west.

So what is the actual context of the skinning puppies?

Is there some specifically sadistic path that your character is led on that would lead to that? Is there any point at which you are actually prompted to do it, or is it something that, if you choose to do it, you come at completely on your own? If there's nothing in the game that specifically leads to or rewards a player for doing it, it seems like much less of a big deal.

When you say "puppies", do you mean wolf puppies? If it is wolf puppies, is it done as part of the fur trade? If so, then, well, that was very much a part of the period and place in which the game is set. I can excuse it as just trying to be realistic.

If it is dog puppies . . . Is it, as another person suggested, that you can skin any animal in the game? If so, and the mechanic is built in meant for other animals (again, fur trade animals -- rabbits, wolves, etc. or food animals -- can you also cook and eat the puppies?) then again, it seems like less of a big deal. It would take away a lot of the realism if you could only skin some animals (those sanctioned as "ok" for fur/leather/food uses) but not others. Ok, that settles it -- one of the first things I'm doing when I get the game is trying to skin a horse, just to see if I can. :lol:

I dunno, without knowing more about how or why I would want to do it in the game, I can't bring myself to get all that upset over it. If I were to find out that the game specifically rewarded me for doing it for no purposes other than the sheer sadism of it, then I'd probably be a bit more upset. But somehow I doubt it. If anything, I would hope that the game builds in some sanctions against it (i.e. you can do it, but doing so will negatively affect your character's reputation or whatever).

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Nogib']DogsHumans are the most worthless creatures on the planet.[/QUOTE]

Fixed. I would run into a burning building to save a dog or other animal but I'd have to seriously think whether or not I wanted to save another human being from the same fate.

It really burns my ass when I see news footage of some big fire where 'everyone made it out alright but X number of animals perished in the fire', especially when the homeowner acts all nonchalant about the animals as if they're just another possession and can be easily replaced.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Fixed. I would run into a burning building to save a dog or other animal but I'd have to seriously think whether or not I wanted to save another human being from the same fate.

It really burns my ass when I see news footage of some big fire where 'everyone made it out alright but X number of animals perished in the fire', especially when the homeowner acts all nonchalant about the animals as if they're just another possession and can be easily replaced.[/QUOTE]

I bet no one's told you about animal shelters before. Better get your running shoes on.

[quote name='DarkSageRK']I bet no one's told you about animal shelters before. Better get your running shoes on.[/QUOTE]
I was just to one last week actually.:cry: It's where we adopted our last dog we had from rather than get some puppy mill puppy from a pet store.

[quote name='bostonfrontier']Dude, people eat dogs in other countries[/QUOTE]
I know they do, as the one Thai restaurant here was shut down for serving dog to it's customers. But to me, this is how I value life. Family first, friends next, animals after that................................................................................the rest of humanity.

Perfect, I've been trying to think of a gang name for weeks for this game! Skin the Puppies. Thanks OP!

Who's with me!?!

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I know they do, as the one Thai restaurant here was shut down for serving dog to it's customers. But to me, this is how I value life. Family first, friends next, animals after that................................................................................the rest of humanity.[/QUOTE]

I wanted to find out more so I googled "Thai restaurant dog" and it came back with this:

An Australian restaurant has been fined after turning a blind customer away because they thought his guide dog was gay.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/wor...way-blind-man-thought-said-guide-dog-GAY.html

WTF

[quote name='mtxbass1']So wait. You have no problem seeing a human get torn to shreds in a game, but when it's a puppy, it's an issue?[/QUOTE]

Yeah totally, puppies are cute and awesome, most people are fat, ugly and stupid.

[quote name='SuperPhillip']Rockstar Games is like the kid in school who keeps doing things to get in trouble for the sole reason of getting attention. The routine is beyond old now.[/QUOTE]

This is also very true.

bread's done
Back