Killzone 2 - Gen. Discussion & Info

It wasn't as fast paced as CoD4. I thought that the graphics lived up to expectation. I felt that even though the developers tried to integrate some color into the drab setting, I still didn't know friend from foe *besides the red eye*. The melee controls were sluggish at best.

Just got done with the demo. i liked the default control layout just fine. I will definatley be buying this game but not on day 1 (back log). The graphics are really good but not the best. MGS4 and Gears 2 has Killzone 2 beat easily in the graphics department but it is still a very nice game to look at. I could have done without the opera slow-mo shit at the end. makes me feel like I just played the demo for a different game than they are trying to portray. All of the biased quotes they showed (Playstation magazine) didnt need to be in there either.

P.S. Deja Vu

2h5n37m.gif

I really, really think they should have shown the intro segment too. Demos these days don't show enough setup, and it's that setup that helps get players into the game.

I mean, look at the Uncharted demo, a lot of people didn't like the game because they pretty much showed no setup, and nothing character oriented. Only after hearing word of mouth about how great the acting and dialog is did people who didn't like the demo pick it up and try it.

It's funny, I never played the Uncharted demo, but I bought the game and totally loved it. Then when I started raving about it on forums people were like, "Oh, I played the demo and it was so boring, its cover system ripped off Gears, etc." I couldn't believe it. People completely dismissed that game just based on the demo, but I'd honestly consider it one of the PS3's five best games. The characters and voice-acting are the best I've ever seen in a video game.

I also agree with Uncharted, hated the demo, but loved the full game. I think the closest to CoD4 type controls in KZ2 is Alt 2 controls. It only took me a minute to find it and change to that. I enjoyed the demo, but I have a feeling I'm going to get murdered in the multiplayer aspect.

The real problem with the MP is that it is really hard to make small aiming movements/ adjustments. That really takes away a good chunk of the skill aspect of an online shooter

[quote name='VipFREAK']Oh good, the aiming thing is not just me.[/quote]

Thank god! It seems that when im aiming I can only get near the crosshairs near the enemy, and not on him.

Also, does anyone else feel like when you are shooting an enemy, the physical reactions are amazing, but aren't as gratifying as they could be? Maybe its because of the lack of rumble...

[quote name='zewone']There is rumble.

I can't play a FPS without it, because it's not as satisfying to shoot a gun, especially the magnum.[/quote]

I didn't mean to say that the game doesnt feature rumble, but rather that I dont have a controller that does.

[quote name='Inf^Shini']How is that?[/quote]

It is very hard to do small adjustments when aiming. Seems like it has a huge "Dead zone" or whatever its called. I am hoping for massive sliders for that along with acceleration and look speed because it is pretty much not up to par.

[quote name='help1']Thank god! It seems that when im aiming I can only get near the crosshairs near the enemy, and not on him.

Also, does anyone else feel like when you are shooting an enemy, the physical reactions are amazing, but aren't as gratifying as they could be? Maybe its because of the lack of rumble...[/quote]

I got better, but in terms of say games like COD4 where it's all one motion, it's just not as precise. Don't get me wrong, I hate COD4 but the way they have the cover system and aiming it seems like that's the most relatable. As for gratifying, you don't have a ds3?

I actually like the fact that Killzone 2 has a different "feel". It's just like the first Killzone in that respect (you have "weight" and "momentum" so to speak), and it makes the skillset required to excel in multiplayer entirely different than something like, say, CoD4.

For the record, I love CoD4 like it's my first-born child.

[quote name='VipFREAK']I got better, but in terms of say games like COD4 where it's all one motion, it's just not as precise. Don't get me wrong, I hate COD4 but the way they have the cover system and aiming it seems like that's the most relatable. As for gratifying, you don't have a ds3?[/quote]

Nope. :(

I have a Six Axis and a NYKO Zero Wireless.
I just opened up the Nyko, and its pretty good. I like the triggers, and having rumble is nice and it even feels like a 360 controller. However, the joysticks are not much better than the regular Six Axis, which is irritating. Even on the Six Axis, it feels like the aiming on FPS games isn't too accurate.

However, I think we are missing one thing. I dont think the singleplayer demo had auto aim. If multiplayer has autoaim, all our aiming woes could easily be dissipated.

[quote name='help1']Nope. :(
[/quote]

That sucks, ur arse needs to get one then pronto. Go to CC.

[quote name='help1']However, I think we are missing one thing. I dont think the singleplayer demo had auto aim. If multiplayer has autoaim, all our aiming woes could easily be dissipated.[/quote]

I don't think MP for ANY game should have auto aim or a map. There are some of us that play games online to have fun not be stuck in a room with people that play to define their lives and because some of us aren't as good or don't play as much then don't have a chance. fuck that. You think you'd be that good if we were playing in real life and didn't have respawns? That's where I like games that people play as a team against the AI.

[quote name='smiggity']It is very hard to do small adjustments when aiming. Seems like it has a huge "Dead zone" or whatever its called. I am hoping for massive sliders for that along with acceleration and look speed because it is pretty much not up to par.[/quote]
Well that sounds weird, I guess I have to play it to understand :whistle2:k

From what you're saying, I'm assuming that when you aim instead of allowing free-aim it moves in increments?

[quote name='Malik112099']Just got done with the demo. i liked the default control layout just fine. I will definatley be buying this game but not on day 1 (back log). The graphics are really good but not the best. MGS4 and Gears 2 has Killzone 2 beat easily in the graphics department but it is still a very nice game to look at. I could have done without the opera slow-mo shit at the end. makes me feel like I just played the demo for a different game than they are trying to portray. All of the biased quotes they showed (Playstation magazine) didnt need to be in there either.

P.S. Deja Vu[/quote]

You don't need a super high intensity bump map on every surface to think the game looks good. Just sayin.

Also, seems sad that the gaming community feels there is no room for "different feeling" shooters. I love COD4, but not every shooter has to control exactly the same, we haven't even played the whole damn game yet.

The "weighted" movement in KZ2 is what I have been waiting for a shooter to do well (I even wrote it up in my game ideas section), I just cannot stand the look of a 1:1 movement shooter, where it just looks so damn fake (Resistance 2, Halo ect.) where you can see the points of stopping (the gun moves at perfect angles, so ugly). But my idea to possibly make it more accessible is to have the cursor move independently from the gun, the gun essentially follows the cursor, so it won't negate from the accuracy.

[quote name='Inf^Shini']Well that sounds weird, I guess I have to play it to understand :whistle2:k

From what you're saying, I'm assuming that when you aim instead of allowing free-aim it moves in increments?[/quote]

Yeah pretty much. It still felt like free aim but was just was blocky. Again this is from the beta so Im not sure it is as prevalent in the final release

[quote name='smiggity']Yeah pretty much. It still felt like free aim but was just was blocky. Again this is from the beta so Im not sure it is as prevalent in the final release[/quote]
I see. Yea, it's a beta, most likely they should have caught on to that already, seeing as how they're being so meticulous with this game.

[quote name='VipFREAK']That sucks, ur arse needs to get one then pronto. Go to CC.

I don't think MP for ANY game should have auto aim or a map. There are some of us that play games online to have fun not be stuck in a room with people that play to define their lives and because some of us aren't as good or don't play as much then don't have a chance. fuck that. You think you'd be that good if we were playing in real life and didn't have respawns? That's where I like games that people play as a team against the AI.[/quote]

I agree with you completely, if you're suck without the aim assist in most console games, others will struggle too, but now it'll take "real skill" for you to be good, not that playing a video game takes any skills.

A dev said in a recent post that the "weight" was intended and inquired which FPS people had been playing. Perhaps to point out that they were coming from more twitch based games.

[quote name='NamPaehc']A dev said in a recent post that the "weight" was intended and inquired which FPS people had been playing. Perhaps to point out that they were coming from more twitch based games.[/quote]

Yep, but that is an entirely different point. Just try making small increments while lining up a headshot. I understand the "weight" and I really like it.

[quote name='smiggity']Yep, but that is an entirely different point. Just try making small increments while lining up a headshot. I understand the "weight" and I really like it.[/quote]

Agreed, I like the weight, but the aiming is just a little weird.

[quote name='DarkNessBear']You don't need a super high intensity bump map on every surface to think the game looks good. Just sayin.[/quote]

I never said it doesn't look good. It does look good. But the big problem is that reviewers are saying it is the best looking game this gen and it isn't. It also doesn't help that the first thing you see when playing the demo is basically the infamous E3 trailer and it doesn't look anywhere near what the trailer looked like mostly because the 2005 trailer was obviously just a video rather than game engine.

It looks good. It is a very good looking game and I love how immersive it is but it isn't the best looking game this gen and it really needed to be due to the crazy hype train the E3 trailer started a few years ago.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/21609.html

The other trailer is from 2007...

Despite not playing the demo, from everything I've seen gameplay wise I have a hard time believing it's not the best looking game this gen, and I've played MGS4 and Gears 2

I know I know, I'll make a UK account soon enough ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Inf^Shini']The other trailer is from 2007...[/quote]

Which is sporting the same game engine and graphics as the demo we are all playing. Your point?

[quote name='Malik112099']Which is sporting the same game engine and graphics as the demo we are all playing. Your point?[/quote]
Can't a lot of things change over the course of a year?

[quote name='Malik112099']Which is sporting the same game engine and graphics as the demo we are all playing. Your point?[/QUOTE]

No it's not.

[quote name='zewone']No it's not.[/quote]

Link?

Also..I hope this game doesn't end up like GTA IV. Everyone was shitting their pants for GTA IV (me included) but a week after it came out everyone forgot about it already even though it was very highly reviewed.

[quote name='zewone']2007 vs. 2008 vs. 2009

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v673/iceatcs/Killzone2comparison.jpg [/quote]

You do realize that picture is comparing video stills with high def screenshots, right? That is a fanboy comparison at the least. Watch the full E3 2005 trailer with all the beautiful CG smoke and shit flying everywhere as stuff explodes and then play the fucking demo. The demo plays like a beautiful game while the E3 2005 trailer plays like a Dreamworks animated film. HUGE difference. if you can't see that then there is no hope for you. I just hope for your sake the kool-aid you are drinking doesn't taste too bad because you are taking rather large gulps of it.

I was talking about you saying 2007 and 2009 were the same builds when they clearly aren't.

You can download the videos for yourself and see.

I don't know what sort of proof you wanted besides the obvious.

I couldn't care less what you think.

[quote name='zewone']I was talking about you saying 2007 and 2009 were the same builds when they clearly aren't.

You can download the videos for yourself and see.

I don't know what sort of proof you wanted besides the obvious.

I couldn't care less what you think.[/quote]

The build looks the exact same. The E3 2007 trailer pics are obviously video stills and the 2009 build is obviously screen shots. Look at them. They are the same. One is the high def screen shot and the other is probably a standard def video still. I can do the same fucking thing for any game ever made. I can pause the SD final build trailer for MGS4 and take an in game 1080p screenshot of the same exact scene and call the first one "preview code" and you wouldn't know the difference. Please stop throwing a blanket on my head and telling me it is dark outside. I would think you are smarter than that.

The actual game surpasses the E3 bullshot video. Who in their right mind would say otherwise? It also shows how the E3 CGI video barely looks top tier these days, technology is accelerating at a rapid rate.

[quote name='blitz6speed']The actual game surpasses the E3 bullshot video. Who in their right mind would say otherwise? It also shows how the E3 CGI video barely looks top tier these days, technology is accelerating at a rapid rate.[/quote]

You can't be fucking serious. Technically speaking the E3 2005 trailer is leaps and bounds over the actual gameplay. It is more fluid in movement, the smoke/particle effects are big and beautiful, it has smoother edges, debris/damage is much more noticeable, etc. You are comparing a well made CG movie to a game and calling the game graphically more impressive?

[quote name='Malik112099']You can't be fucking serious. Technically speaking the E3 2005 trailer is leaps and bounds over the actual gameplay. It is more fluid in movement, the smoke/particle effects are big and beautiful, it has smoother edges, debris/damage is much more noticeable, etc. You are comparing a well made CG movie to a game and calling the game graphically more impressive?[/QUOTE]

Cocaine is a hell of a drug. BTW, have you ever done any acting before? I think i saw you perform as the egg in the "This is your brain on drugs" commercials, excellent work there!

[quote name='blitz6speed']Cocaine is a hell of a drug. BTW, have you ever done any acting before? I think i saw you perform as the egg in the "This is your brain on drugs" commercials, excellent work there![/quote]

You proved your point well. Nice. :applause:

[quote name='Malik112099']You can't be fucking serious. Technically speaking the E3 2005 trailer is leaps and bounds over the actual gameplay. It is more fluid in movement, the smoke/particle effects are big and beautiful, it has smoother edges, debris/damage is much more noticeable, etc. You are comparing a well made CG movie to a game and calling the game graphically more impressive?[/QUOTE]

Maybe they think it's impressive because it's an actual game that pretty much looks the same (although they made the design much better. It was very cartoony in the 2005 trailer), but it's in-game instead of being a trailer. This is one beautiful game, dude. Pre-rendered stuff is always going to look "technically" better. That was just a target render for what they wanted it to look like. You sound like a real dick, sir.

[quote name='orko60']Maybe they think it's impressive because it's an actual game that pretty much looks the same (although they made the design much better. It was very cartoony in the 2005 trailer), but it's in-game instead of being a trailer. This is one beautiful game, dude. Pre-rendered stuff is always going to look "technically" better. That was just a target render for what they wanted it to look like. You sound like a real dick, sir.[/quote]

Im sorry for not eating this game up like it is the best thing since sliced bread. I will buy it and I will enjoy it but people act like Killzone 2 is the best thing ever when it is just the best thing on the PS3.

bread's done
Back