Killzone 2 - Gen. Discussion & Info

Great, I found out my Killzone 2 Home outfit code! But,...still not game. Thanks a lot, Amazon. It should be here today or tomorrow, though. Until then, I think I'll run around in Home looking like a large percent of other people.

Unlocked the tactitoner thing last night. I can create spawn points now. :whee:

And I still haven't gotten 1 single turret ribbon yet. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I've used the engineer class for the past 30 games or so now and I just can't get 5 kills in a game with the stupid things. Either they're just worthless or people blow them up instantly. :(

i like the fact that hey almost force you to tweak the controls to what works best fo you.

someone should start a cag clan, id be up for joining and pwning in the name of cag! i would but im not a sergeant yet.

well, I'm halfway to unlocking the C4... I want a engineer that can toss around some C4... from there I'm set...

also about less than 200pts away from general.

[quote name='Maklershed']Unlocked the tactitoner thing last night. I can create spawn points now. :whee:

And I still haven't gotten 1 single turret ribbon yet. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I've used the engineer class for the past 30 games or so now and I just can't get 5 kills in a game with the stupid things. Either they're just worthless or people blow them up instantly. :([/quote]

get ready to start fucking with the game as a tactitian... it's fun because you basically decide when you want chaos to start. not my type but it's fun.

for turret kills if you have a hard time just play longer game types (ie. rooms with all TDM, capture, assntn, etc.) and set your turrets on elevated surfaces and areas with open fences since turrets can shoot rigt through them.

I got 10 head shots with one well place turret. it was silly since all the kills were on snipers.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']

for turret kills if you have a hard time just play longer game types (ie. rooms with all TDM, capture, assntn, etc.) and set your turrets on elevated surfaces and areas with open fences since turrets can shoot rigt through them.

I got 10 head shots with one well place turret. it was silly since all the kills were on snipers.[/quote]

Ah you know what .. I didn't even think about that. I've solely been playing body count. Maybe it would help if I played something with more chaos like those mixed game types. And like you said .. find a room with longer games.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']well, I'm halfway to unlocking the C4... I want a engineer that can toss around some C4... from there I'm set...

also about less than 200pts away from general.

get ready to start fucking with the game as a tactitian... it's fun because you basically decide when you want chaos to start. not my type but it's fun.

I got 10 head shots with one well place turret. it was silly since all the kills were on snipers.[/QUOTE]

I hate your damn turrets! lol

So I picked this up yesterday and played a lot of multiplayer... it's awesome. I just have some minor complaints about the controls:

I usually play on 360 and I'm having a hard time getting used to FPS on the PS3. I get hand cramps after about an hour with the DS3 and I have a really annoying issue where I accidentally activate R3 all the time when I'm aiming, especially in close quarters. The controls in general are a little frustrating but I'll adapt. I've tried both Standard 1 and Alt 2, neither of which is very good. I like having L1 for iron sights but with Alt 2 you have to hold L2 to crouch so it's hard to crouch and use iron sights. I wish I could just configure it to copy Call of Duty controls. Also, sprinting isn't as fluid as CoD... it's a little frustrating because it won't stop sprinting as easily as you'd expect it to.

Graphics and gameplay are top notch. I'll "echo" what other people have said about voice chat on PSN though, it sucks. Too many people have cheap BT headsets and I hear a lot of feedback, especially in the 32 player rooms. I picked up a $15 USB headset from PS2 SOCOM on eBay and it works perfectly.

I was reading this chart that someone posted earlier in the thread and I realized something. I had the turret immediately and I never had to repair anything. As a matter of fact, I dont know if I even have the ability to repair something.

[quote name='Maklershed']I was reading this chart that someone posted earlier in the thread and I realized something. I had the turret immediately and I never had to repair anything. As a matter of fact, I dont know if I even have the ability to repair something.[/quote]

Chart is wrong. Turret is available from the beginning with an Engineer. Repair is the unlockable second ability.

Wow, I had pre-ordered the game at Amazon but it was canceled because I didn't have the funds and today I get the Pre-order bonus code for home, thanking me for my pre-order.

I didn't expect that :eek:

Anyone know of a good (cheap) 3rd party controller that's similar to the mold of the X360's controller?

I'm digging the game but the controller is killing me, it just wasn't designed with FPS in mind.

[quote name='glockant']just bought a PS3 and KZ2. reading a lot of people complaining about the PS3 controller itself. has anyone tried this? http://www.amazon.com/XCM-Cross-Battle-adapter-Playstation-3/dp/B001O89YTU

thinking about picking one of these up..

edit: and here is a review - http://www.loadingreality.com/Multi...oss-Battle-Adapter-360-Controller-on-PS3.html[/QUOTE]

I have it. It works excellent.

Only problem is that sometimes you'll lose connection to the PS3 in the middle of a firefight online and die. It's pretty damn annoying. It doesn't happen too often (about once an hour), but enough to where I just decided to learn the DS3.

[quote name='Inf^Shini']How about this?
http://www.amazon.com/Playstation-3..._1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1236198001&sr=1-1[/QUOTE]

don't bother, I bought the frag fx when it first came out and it was a piece of crap. That's what happens when you adapt mouse movement to a stick movement. It adds lag and is actually more inaccurate (and on top of KZ2 lag.. that's baaaaad).
I returned it promptly.......

that converter is probably a better bet
though you need sixaxis for the single player campaign.

[quote name='CODEWERKX']has anyone noticed the vague similiarity between Killzone 2 and Gears of War 2...?
pixel.gif

[/quote]

YES! I thought that too... thought people would think I was daft if I said it haha, I guess you did it for me.

Saint

[quote name='Zoglog']don't bother, I bought the frag fx when it first came out and it was a piece of crap. That's what happens when you adapt mouse movement to a stick movement. It adds lag and is actually more inaccurate (and on top of KZ2 lag.. that's baaaaad).
I returned it promptly.......

that converter is probably a better bet
though you need sixaxis for the single player campaign.[/quote]
It seemed like a good idea to make up for games with no KB/Mouse support, but the setup for some reason still seemed odd to me.

[quote name='Inf^Shini']It seemed like a good idea to make up for games with no KB/Mouse support, but the setup for some reason still seemed odd to me.[/QUOTE]

seemed like a good idea to me, which is why I bought it ;). Trust me, u'll want to skip this one.

I tried both high and low sensitivity... they both suck. If it's too high I can't aim and die, if it's too low I can't move fast enough and i die. :roll:

[quote name='glockant']just bought a PS3 and KZ2. reading a lot of people complaining about the PS3 controller itself. has anyone tried this? http://www.amazon.com/XCM-Cross-Battle-adapter-Playstation-3/dp/B001O89YTU

thinking about picking one of these up..

edit: and here is a review - http://www.loadingreality.com/Multi...oss-Battle-Adapter-360-Controller-on-PS3.html[/quote]

That one seems nice, specially cause it supports rumble. If only it was cheaper :lol:...maybe when I get my tax return.

[quote name='CODEWERKX']has anyone noticed the vague similiarity between Killzone 2 and Gears of War 2...?[/QUOTE]

That they're both really gray and brown?

[quote name='CODEWERKX']has anyone noticed the vague similiarity between Killzone 2 and Gears of War 2...?[/quote]

the entire time playing I noticed that tooo..

4 tough guys...

space marines...

go underground...

ride train...

one on one with boss...

it shared alot of same stuff but it didn't ruin it for me.

[quote name='CODEWERKX']has anyone noticed the vague similiarity between Killzone 2 and Gears of War 2...?[/quote]

You mean that both games have some pretty ghey vehicles? Who the hell takes a flying platform into battle? Who the hell takes a big slow POS platform across a battle field? Who the fuck thinks up this shit?

I think the best way to describe the single player is a mash-up between Gears and Call of Duty. Lots of visual and character similarity to Gears: similar color palate, destruction everywhere, "macho" space marine characters, wonky vehicles. And pretty much a carbon copy of Call of Duty game design: linear progression, cool scripted events, engaging atmosphere, chaos everywhere, occasional infinitely respawning enemies, useless friendly AI (all progression depends on you only), etc.

I'm not very far yet though so things could change.

I'm on that bridge level still. I tried it like three times and said f it and stopped playing it. Can't wait until the next CAG day for multiplayer though as MLB 09 is stealing most of my time, heh.

[quote name='BostonCollegeFan']I'm on that bridge level still. I tried it like three times and said f it and stopped playing it. Can't wait until the next CAG day for multiplayer though as MLB 09 is stealing most of my time, heh.[/QUOTE]

I had a problem too. Thing is, they will keep spawning till you get to the other side. I just sprinted halfway with the Grenade Launcher, shot the guys i passed real quick then sprinted to the far end and CROUCHED and did the same thing. Only took 2 tries after i realized they stopped spawning when you reach the far side. The first time i didn't notice the extra enemy in the barracks i had grenaded.

Finished the campaign on Veteran. I had hoped to play again on Elite but after seeing how much trouble Veteran was, I won't even bother.

There were quite a few 'controller throwing' sections. I literally died 50+ times on some parts. I hated the infinite spawns! The last level sucked ass.

Anyway, I'm just happy it's over so I can focus on MP. It's a shame because I think the frustrating and annoying parts really subtracted from my enjoyment of the game.

I don't know...I MIGHT try and play through it on Elite, but as with the Collectibles, it's not something I'm going to actively pursue. I mean, maybe if I got the 1% Trophy, I'd try it, but it's just...that last part is just so damn hard.

The Train part is really frustrating, too, but there is sort of a way to cheese it. I'm trying to get my Least Deaths count to 0 on everything first, though. I'm not too far away, but I still have the final area to deal with.

Is it me, or multiplayer has been either really GOOD for one day, and then really BAD the next day? For me, that's what it feels like. =p

[quote name='Sarrasis']Finished the campaign on Veteran. I had hoped to play again on Elite but after seeing how much trouble Veteran was, I won't even bother.

There were quite a few 'controller throwing' sections. I literally died 50+ times on some parts. I hated the infinite spawns! The last level sucked ass.

Anyway, I'm just happy it's over so I can focus on MP. It's a shame because I think the frustrating and annoying parts really subtracted from my enjoyment of the game.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'm only on the third level, but Veteran is annoying me. I normally choose the hardest difficulty in any game just cause.

Mines been freezing on me every couple of games. Kinda weird how people I'm playing with also get froze at the same time. Anyone else getting freeze probs?

[quote name='Coper3000']Mines been freezing on me every couple of games. Kinda weird how people I'm playing with also get froze at the same time. Anyone else getting freeze probs?[/QUOTE]

They seem to be pretty common from what I've read, although I didn't get any freezing in about three hours of multiplayer yesterday. If it's hardware related, my PS3 is only a month old...

[quote name='Coper3000']Mines been freezing on me every couple of games. Kinda weird how people I'm playing with also get froze at the same time. Anyone else getting freeze probs?[/quote]

Happened to me once on Sunday. Was first overall in a game and my console froze up right when I killed someone. Lost all that exp. :cry:

Luckily, I was only 21 points away from getting the Scout anyway, so it wasn't a big hit.

Ranked up again tonight after 2 matches. I earned about 36 points per match, so it's not a lot of points. I guess it'll be easier to earn points once I unlock a better class or something. It is really fun, although the matches I ran into tonight had almost no one talking on my side.

Can someone tell me what a Squad Invite is? I got one, but I didn't know how to access it. Didn't matter though, my team won that :)

Press select once you see the message and you can accept. IMHO, they're worthless in non clan matches, but all they provide are a dedicated chat channel (of which I don't know how to access), and that you can spawn on the leader granted he's alive, which imho, is usually better serviced by a tactician.

Yeah it has frozen up on me 2 times. Both times I could hear other people complaining about it. And once I heard someone tell his friend he'd back because the system locked up on him. Only for the rest of us it was fine oddly.

RelentlessRolento, let me know if you are disappointed with the C4 mines or not. I hate that you have to cluster them together. I once put them in a line and watch a guy walk through one after the other until the last one FINALLY took him down lol. Might have had armor on but I was stunned at how weak they charges were.

I know some people liked the demo but I HATED it. It was just a very lackluster portion of an otherwise stellar game. I am on the second level and this shit is HOT. (the only reason I stopped is because lost is on so I'm shitting bricks to revelations on Lost and then I can go back to shitting bricks over the graphics of Killzone)

Holy crap, be careful when you quit a game... I just scored 200 points in my best match ever, ranked up, got my ribbons, etc. then quit the lobby. My points didn't stick :(

Another complaint is that I wish every server had auto faction balance on. If it's off the teams usually become lopsided but no one wants to do anything about it because it makes for easy points.

Anyways, I'm doing way better now. Settled on Alt 2 controls + hold for iron sights + toggle crouch. I also bumped the default sensitivities down (x by 2 and y by 1) and that made it way way easier to aim. Also learned to use fast single shot bursts from the assault rifle instead of three shot bursts or spray and pray. Only use iron sights for long distance and crouch as much as possible.

bread's done
Back