Kindle Fire 7" Tablet Now Shipping $199 - New Kindles From $79 - Reviews are out

[quote name='BingoBrown']The thing I wonder about is apps built on Honeycomb instead of Gingerbread. So far Amazon hasn't sold apps built only for Honeycomb, as far as I know. I'd imagine that Amazon's OS will adopt Ice Cream Sandwich at some point, so that would eliminate the problem. Which brings up one of the strange things about the Fire, why didn't they use Honeycomb on a tablet? Maybe the Amazon OS was in development before Honeycomb?[/QUOTE]

I'm not terribly savvy on development tools/platforms, but is there really something called Ice Cream Sandwich? If so, that's awesome. :applause:

[quote name='utopianmachine']I'm not terribly savvy on development tools/platforms, but is there really something called Ice Cream Sandwich? If so, that's awesome. :applause:[/QUOTE]

Yeah, Google uses food nicknames for Android releases. Froyo (frozen yogurt), Gingerbread, Honeycomb, Ice Cream Sandwich... going on down the alphabet.

[quote name='mr_bungle']Anyone got any opinions on the $79 kindle? I'm not a huge reader, but I'd like to start reading more than browsing the internet so much. I can get it for $59 after some credit. Are they worth that? I've always been mildly interested and for $59 that's very cheap.[/QUOTE]

It's seems like it will be a very solid reader. Really the most important thing is the display, and all the kindles, besides the fire, use the same e ink screen. The lack of a keyboard shouldn't really matter because you don't need it to read a book, which is really all you'd want to do on the thing. Comparing it to the 99 touch version, you will also lose a bit of battery life and storage, but the 79 one's storage(2 gb) and battery life(1 month) should be more than enough.

If you've never seen an e ink screen before, it makes a huge difference in terms of eye strain compared to a tablet or monitor and is almost identical to reading a piece of paper.

Not sure why people are complaining over some things price wise. It's like people have totally forgotten the Touch Pads were so damn cheap were because HP was pulling out of the business. Amazon is going into the business and will stay in it after the sales explode!!

It's like everyone is expecting a 9" Tablet, Microphone, Camera, Faster OS, 3G, Awesome Battery Life and last but not least 32 gigs + in space for $199!

This is a helluva deal especially when It's several hundred cheaper then a IPad.

I think the biggest problem is it's storage capacity. 8 gigs is really small for a media consumption device. One movie is around a gig and a lot of the more fleshed out games are over 500 mb. I know that you will be able to stream stuff when you are on a wifi network, but that is not always that reliable. I actually use Amazons cloud right now on my iPad, and it's not that smooth some times. Also, a tablet is a device for on the go, and your not always going to have access to wi fi on the go. Given amazons desire to sell content, I'm surprised they didn't go with 16 gb or at least offer a more expensive model.

[quote name='mr_bungle']Anyone got any opinions on the $79 kindle? I'm not a huge reader, but I'd like to start reading more than browsing the internet so much. I can get it for $59 after some credit. Are they worth that? I've always been mildly interested and for $59 that's very cheap.[/QUOTE]

You should go for it. I have an older kindle and just ordered it. I much prefer reading on the kindle to a regular book.

It's a great deal. The only thing you are losing from the current model is a keyboard. You will only miss the keyboard if you want to take notes on the kindle.

[quote name='CheapyD']You should go for it. I have an older kindle and just ordered it. I much prefer reading on the kindle to a regular book.[/QUOTE]

Well if Cheapy approves enough to respond, I'm definitely in on it :cool:

*orders*

[quote name='Monsta Mack']
It's like everyone is expecting a 9" Tablet, Microphone, Camera, Faster OS, 3G, Awesome Battery Life and last but not least 32 gigs + in space for $199!

This is a helluva deal especially when It's several hundred cheaper then a IPad.[/QUOTE]

I'm typing on an Acer Iconia I got through an Amazon deal in August for $200.

10" screen, microphone, dual cameras, Honeycomb OS, port for 3G/4G, at least 8 hours battery life, and 16GB memory with microSD expansion slot...

Reading books on eink is heaven. The fire only looks usefull for web to me but for some reason I want both.....what to do with my kindle 3g.....

Put in a pre order. Only thing I really want a tablet for is reading comic books and web browsing. So any of the 500 dollar ones seem like a waste for me.

[quote name='BingoBrown']Yeah, Google uses food nicknames for Android releases. Froyo (frozen yogurt), Gingerbread, Honeycomb, Ice Cream Sandwich... going on down the alphabet.[/QUOTE]

Somehow I hadn't heard about this, except Honeycomb. Awesome. :cool:

[quote name='kube00']Tempted and I just got a Nook color rooted and a HP Touchpad[/QUOTE]

And so begins the tablet backlog.

[quote name='utopianmachine']Somehow I hadn't heard about this, except Honeycomb. Awesome. :cool:[/QUOTE]

I always stay current on these, lol. I'm always watching phone reviews because I hope to do that one day. But yeah all of those names are making me hungry.

[quote name='utopianmachine']If the Kindle Fire gets the kind of app coverage as the iPad, I'll be on the scene in a heartbeat.

As it is, I want an iPad just for apps.[/QUOTE]

I agree - the app store seems loaded with good games. But, the lack of flash on an ipad is an issue for me.

[quote name='Midori Monkey']Put in a pre order. Only thing I really want a tablet for is reading comic books and web browsing. So any of the 500 dollar ones seem like a waste for me.[/QUOTE]

Same here. My wife was going to buy me an iPad for Christmas but I hate for her to spend over $500 on something that I'll probably just use for games, comic books, and web browsing. It might not have the exact specs as an iPad but for $200, I might just be looking at an early Christmas present.

The only thing I worry about is being an early adopter and missing out on cool features later on down the road like 3G. Plus I don't know what kind of support this thing is going to get right out of the gate. But my wife has an Android phone and the marketplace seems pretty suffice for the average user.

[quote name='BingoBrown']I'm typing on an Acer Iconia I got through an Amazon deal in August for $200.

10" screen, microphone, dual cameras, Honeycomb OS, port for 3G/4G, at least 8 hours battery life, and 16GB memory with microSD expansion slot...[/QUOTE]*cough* $300 with $100 Amazon GC. *cough*

[quote name='BingoBrown']Yes and no. It's a really solid retail price point for what it offers.

That being said, the Acer Iconia A500 is a full size 10" tablet that was being sold for $400 with free $100 gift cards at multiple retailers in August. Amazon itself even offered a promo on the Iconia which ended up dropping the price down to $300 with a free $100 gift card, essentially $200 if you view Amazon credit as cash. I jumped on that deal, which offered more product for the same price as this new Kindle Fire.[/QUOTE]

fuck this. I read books like a real man. :|

Morgan_Freeman_easy_reader.png

Quite tempting, as I've really been wanting a nice tablet.

But, I might wait until after Black Friday. I'll see if any of the others drop down and plan accordingly.

I can only see the Fire with 3G paid options. To much bandwidth used by video and internet to make it a reasonable cost to Amazon. I wanted 3G until I saw this thread and thought about the high cost to me and amazon.

I have 45 days to think of alternatives. I have to play with my not yet shipped Touchpad first.

Preordered the fire, considering a kindle touch for book reading, as I type this from my HP touchpad and dream of an iPad. I am messed up lol.

[quote name='BingoBrown']I'm typing on an Acer Iconia I got through an Amazon deal in August for $200.

10" screen, microphone, dual cameras, Honeycomb OS, port for 3G/4G, at least 8 hours battery life, and 16GB memory with microSD expansion slot...[/QUOTE]

I got a touchpad for $150. Again, this is MSRP and what you get for MSRP you won't get elsewhere. The wife has the touchpad in the house and if I feel that's a superior product then I'll switch over and dump the Fire. I don't see that much of a advantage to the HP anyways outside of the bigger screen and keyboard attachment (which I'm assuming the Fire won't have).

There are two types of companies: those that work hard to charge customers more, and those that work hard to charge customers less. Both approaches can work. We are firmly in the second camp.

So... They're going for the Steam approach...
(jk) God, I love Amazon.

[quote name='mrsilkunderwear']Rich bastard.[/QUOTE]

Just don't tell my wife, or she'll wanna start doing silly things like getting vaccinations for our son and eating every day...

[quote name='exaznkid']hmmmm, i never quite caught on to why the kindle is so popular, is there something special about it that i'm missing?[/QUOTE]

E-ink.

Simply put, it's amazing how it can replicate the way ink looks like on paper. Also, you're not missing anything...you're just not part of the target demographic. =)

[quote name='krazyazn01']E-ink.

Simply put, it's amazing how it can replicate the way ink looks like on paper. Also, you're not missing anything...you're just not part of the target demographic. =)[/QUOTE]
I guess that makes sense, I purchased the HP tablet during the firesale and I still don't see the use of it since I have a netbook on hand

my experience with my kindle: i wasn't a reader at all for the past few years, but after testing one out and being amazed by the display and form factor (no glare, looks exactly like ink on paper, light as hell to hold onto, battery lasts a long time between charges) i decided to get one myself. in the 5 months since, i've gone through like 8 books (including the entire song of ice and fire series) and like 30 volumes of assorted black and white manga.

so i think the $139 i spent was well worth it. at $79, i'd say go for it. since i don't use the web browser much, i can't think of the last time i used the keyboard on it, so i don't think you'd be missing out on much with this new model.

$79 is a hell of a deal. Both the wife and I got kindles (now "Keyboard Kindles") for Christmas last year and we love them to death. My wife is a VERY heavy reader so she's got her money's worth for sure. I read a reasonable amount but I read lots more now because of the Kindle, and even went so far as to epub a novel.

And honestly, aside from initially setting up folders to sort my books, I never use the keyboard. So if you really hate touch screens that $79 one is a great deal. Also, my friends have ad ones (we don't), and whether $20 to axe ads is a good deal is actually a tough one. The perks is that there are no ads on the "powered off" screen or on the menues (there are never ads in the books). The cons are some of those ads are really good (had a $20 amazon gift card for $10 a while back, only for people who had special offers kindles).

That's my 2 cents. If you like reading books more than once or twice a year I'd say $79 is a hell of a low point of entry. That's only a little more than a full priced video game.

I missed out on the HPtouchpad deals, so I'm looking into the Kindle Fire. Going to go look at the specifications on the Kindle Fire, hopefully they're better than my Asus EEE 1GB ram Netbook.

10" screen, microphone, dual cameras, Honeycomb OS, port for 3G/4G, at least 8 hours battery life, and 16GB memory with microSD expansion slot...[/QUOTE]

I got 6 touchpads for 99/149, sold 5 for a hefty profit and kept the last 99 one :lol:

Also, I saw recently target had the Asus EEE transformer on one day sale for 299. I work there so with red card get 15% of all purchases, so it woulda been like 255 for me...more than free after touchpad profits.

[quote name='shrike4242']*cough* $300 with $100 Amazon GC. *cough*[/QUOTE]

Really? Amazon credit is as good as cash, at least to most people on CAG. It's not a Best Buy gift card.

[quote name='exaznkid']I guess that makes sense, I purchased the HP tablet during the firesale and I still don't see the use of it since I have a netbook on hand[/QUOTE]

:drool:

I browse some websites at night like engadget and google finance to read up a few things here and there

Thanks Cheapy, down for the $99 Touch with offers. I wasn't going to get the offers version but you all sold me with the deals that come up on it and I could care less what the screen saver is if that's where the offers show.

Just a heads up, if any of you think the look is bland for your kindles you can go to decal girl and buy skins for it. I bought one for my wife's kindle and it looks cool and does protect the case from scratches. I am sure most of you know about this but I just wanted to inform those who may not.

It will be nice if this comes the day before Thanksgiving like my order info says as that would give me the long weekend to play around with it.

Just put in a pre-order for one.
I was on the fence for the PS Vita but I looks like I'm gonna spend the money for one of these instead.

I like the specs on the Fire, on the fence about preordering one though. I currently have a Coby Kyros MID 7024, that does a lot of the same functions as the Fire can. Will have to ponder a bit farther before decision time....

Pre-ordered the Fire...I wonder if the pre-order demand is high since the estimated receipt date is Nov. 17 instead of Nov.16 with my 2-day Prime.

Wish I hadn't bought the HP Touchpad...although I got the rare white 64 GB 1.5Ghz version, I paid too much. Got it for $250+ tax from Costcentral.com. Any tips on how to sell it and for how much? I also have the Touchstone and the HP Folio case.

[quote name='gamerguy73']Pre-ordered the Fire...I wonder if the pre-order demand is high since the estimated receipt date is Nov. 17 instead of Nov.16 with my 2-day Prime.

Wish I hadn't bought the HP Touchpad...although I got the rare white 64 GB 1.5Ghz version, I paid too much. Got it for $250+ tax from Costcentral.com. Any tips on how to sell it and for how much? I also have the Touchstone and the HP Folio case.[/QUOTE]

Pretty sure you'll have to find someone living under a rock to buy that thing, lol.

[quote name='cheeky']Pretty sure you'll have to find someone living under a rock to buy that thing, lol.[/QUOTE]

One sold for $435 on ebay yesterday: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-S...70702433705?pt=US_Tablets&hash=item27bea86da9

If you don't know what you're talking about, maybe keep your mouth shut. It looks like he can easily get back his money for that model since it's pretty rare. I'd say depending on the condition and with the inclusion of the accessories he can get at least $300-350 for it on ebay.

[quote name='ssjmichael']One sold for $435 on ebay yesterday: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-S...70702433705?pt=US_Tablets&hash=item27bea86da9

If you don't know what you're talking about, maybe keep your mouth shut. It looks like he can easily get back his money for that model since it's pretty rare. I'd say depending on the condition and with the inclusion of the accessories he can get at least $300-350 for it on ebay.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info!

bread's done
Back