Kindle Fire 7" Tablet Now Shipping $199 - New Kindles From $79 - Reviews are out

I must have gotten lucky with my pre-order for the Kindle Fire, as my Delivery Estimate shows as 11/17. Hopefully my wife likes it! If not, I guess worst case it is mine!

In for one for my mom for X-mas. I'm guessing this will be the cheapest tablet through this years holiday season, even with sales on the other ones, hopefully it is best deal too.

[quote name='Over easy']Pre-ordered a Fire. I figured this will be hard to get during the holidays, so pre-ordering now in case I want one after all.[/QUOTE]

This is why I preordered. Especially through Amazon. They don't charge until it ships. So, I can hopefully see some early reviews and decide if I really want it.

The worst is not wanting a device when it is announced, but then really wanting it when it ships. Then you've got to wait 2 months because they didn't make enough.

[quote name='nintendofan9999']I ordered a fire but would it be foolish to order a $79 kindle?[/QUOTE]
No I'm probably doing the same thing. I've never used a kindle so I want to try it out for reading. If I dont like it I'll sell it or give it to someone.

Note that the $79 kindle has half the storage space, less battery life, and no headphone jack/speakers for audio books like the touch kindle for $20 more. I'd definitely go for the Kindle Touch but I dont want to wait..

[quote name='nintendofan9999']I ordered a fire but would it be foolish to order a $79 kindle?[/QUOTE]

I don't think it would - if you're an avid reader, the e-ink is so much easier on the eyes. The Fire is going to be more along the lines of a media player (at least in my eyes), and not primarily designed for reading. I plan on eventually getting both (for now I preordered the Fire - I have so many paper books to read that I haven't jumped into the e-reader game yet, but plan to do so once my backlog of books runs out).

[quote name='ShockandAww']Note that the $79 kindle has half the storage space, less battery life, and no headphone jack/speakers for audio books like the touch kindle for $20 more. I'd definitely go for the Kindle Touch but I dont want to wait..[/QUOTE]

I think that storage space and battery life on a dedicated e-reader are moot points - do you really care if you have 1,500 or 3,000 books in your pocket? I've never read that many in my life...and probably never will. Same with battery life - the difference between 1 month or 2 months on a single charge - are you guys running around in the Sahara with no power access?

Now the headphone jack is the selling point for me, because correct me if I'm wrong, but I could load up some relaxing music, pop the ear buds in, and read to some nice classical music.

So why are people so hyped up for the kindle fire, and why do they compare it to an ipad? I thought it was just an e-reader for books ??? Can you do apps, surf the web, download regular market place apps, use it as a computer??

Help please?

[quote name='iamsobroke']So why are people so hyped up for the kindle fire, and why do they compare it to an ipad? I thought it was just an e-reader for books ??? Can you do apps, surf the web, download regular market place apps, use it as a computer??

Help please?[/QUOTE]
Kindle = e-reader
Kindle + Fire = tablet PC

[quote name='iamsobroke']So why are people so hyped up for the kindle fire, and why do they compare it to an ipad? I thought it was just an e-reader for books ??? Can you do apps, surf the web, download regular market place apps, use it as a computer??

Help please?[/QUOTE]

It is an andriod device, so it is more than a reader

I'll probably get a Kindle Touch for myself at some point. e-ink is nice and I've been meaning to do more reading.

[quote name='blitztwn36']I think that storage space and battery life on a dedicated e-reader are moot points - do you really care if you have 1,500 or 3,000 books in your pocket? I've never read that many in my life...and probably never will. Same with battery life - the difference between 1 month or 2 months on a single charge - are you guys running around in the Sahara with no power access?

Now the headphone jack is the selling point for me, because correct me if I'm wrong, but I could load up some relaxing music, pop the ear buds in, and read to some nice classical music.[/QUOTE]
That's probably completely true for a vast majority, including myself. To me it's just the point that for $20 more I could have the Touch + the audio really, and the extra battery life is nice. The 2GB of extra space is probably going to go unused by most people though like you said.

Help please?[/QUOTE]

Are you serious? You couldn't just take a look at the frontpage of Amazon.com for that info? You don't even have to read anything, just look at the picture of the Fire and you'd realize it does more than an old Kindle reader.

[quote name='el swordo']I will be sticking with my kindle 3. Battery lasts forever and I have an android phone that isn't 4 inches. Would rather have a vita[/QUOTE]

I think people are missing the point. The fire is not going to be a replacement for a kindle e-reader its aimed at people that want a cheap tablet.. trust me once your start reading books on a eink kindle you will NEVER want to read books on a tablet again. As far as the ereader goes I am not to happy the page turn buttons are gone..

I feel like a lot of people might be disappointed by the limitations of the Fire out the box. While this tablet is running on Android, I don't consider it an Android tablet. I think a lot of people are however, and many are saying the Fire will take over the Android tablet market within the year.. I don't agree with that, even if it outsells every other device running Android (which it will)

I consider the Fire to be a jailed in Android device out the box. You are provided everything that Amazon wants you to use, that is to say, their own services. They created their own app store outside of the marketplace so that they'd have control over what apps you get to put on your tablet (and other supported devices). While Amazon's app store is certainly going to grow, it is still not comparable to the general Google Marketplace and thus is handicapped compared to most other Android tablets that can access the market.

There's obviously still a lot we don't know about the device so I shouldn't make too many early judgements but if it truly doesn't have access to the standard OS, and marketplace than I'd have to consider it a limited device.. That's not to say it'll be a bad device, it'll just be good at mostly Amazon related things such as their Kindle store, Amazon MP3, Amazon VOD, and whatever apps Amazon has in their store (they do have a lot of quality ones there).

Keep in mind I said out the box. Once the people at slatedroid get their hands on it, it'll be rooted in short order, and users can access the main OS and do whatever they want.

Some other things I'm not fond of:

- No sort of expansion (they couldn't even add a microSDHC slot?)
- The lack of any dedicated volume buttons
- No Bluetooth
- No 3G option (I wouldn't care but some here do)
- No physical home button (I could be wrong about that, but I don't see one)
- No HDMI out (this would have been great to use the device as an Amazon VOD receiver for your TV...imagine a dock where you could just drop it in, it would be awesome)

These are all subjective stuff obviously, but for a tablet to come out this day in age lacking so much stuff would be laughed at if not for the fact that this is Amazon's debut tablet, and the fact that it's $199. I don't think it would cost them much to add some of the things mentioned but some will no doubt defend them for doing so. And just to be fair, I do think having a jailed in device could be what the mainstream wants. This has been Apple's bread and butter with their "i" devices. They have all of their services on there, and ensure that the apps available works on the devices. If the Fire had direct access to the Android OS and Marketplace then it would appear less streamlined and a looser ecosytem if you understand what I mean.

Yeah I kind of wish they would give you option of right or left handed buttons though. I really don't need both and its easier to not pageturn accidently. Doest happen often but takes me out of experience when it does.

[quote name='blitztwn36']I don't think it would - if you're an avid reader, the e-ink is so much easier on the eyes. The Fire is going to be more along the lines of a media player (at least in my eyes), and not primarily designed for reading. I plan on eventually getting both (for now I preordered the Fire - I have so many paper books to read that I haven't jumped into the e-reader game yet, but plan to do so once my backlog of books runs out).[/QUOTE]

I bought an e-reader yesterday and the first thing I'm reading on it is a book I already own. I'm great with money.

Another thing I wish Amazon would do is provide a Kindle copy when you buy a regular book. This makes complete sense to me if done correctly (i.e. without loopholes). They do it with many of their movies, where if you buy the Blu-ray you get a digital version for free right away (I think it's called Disc+). This works out well because if you're not ready to transition to digital books and are still buying physical ones then it's nice to know those books purchased from Amazon will be available on your Kindle when you're ready to buy them. It also makes buying books from Amazon VS any other book store a much bigger perk and thus would increase both sales of their books and of their Kindles. And of course many Blu-ray movies come with Digital Copies too, which is essentially the same thing. Most people wouldn't buy digital copies separately if they purchased the Blu. I think the same may be said about people who purchased the physical book, I doubt many will double dip and re-purchase it for the full price on Kindle. If not completely free, then at least give a significant discount for the Kindle version if you bought a physical book .

[quote name='ssjmichael']Another thing I wish Amazon would do is provide a Kindle copy when you buy a regular book. This makes complete sense to me if done correctly (i.e. without loopholes). They do it with many of their movies, where if you buy the Blu-ray you get a digital version for free right away (I think it's called Disc+) .[/QUOTE]

This would be a great thing, but it is not really Amazon's decision to make. The publishers control the pricing of their e books, so I'd imagine it would be up to them to offer an e book version with a physical copy. As the e reader market continues to grow I could definitely see it happening.

[quote name='caltab']This would be a great thing, but it is not really Amazon's decision to make. The publishers control the pricing of their e books, so I'd imagine it would be up to them to offer an e book version with a physical copy. As the e reader market continues to grow I could definitely see it happening.[/QUOTE]

Yeah you're right, though I'm sure if there's any e-book distributor who could get such a deal it'd be Amazon. I think such an option would help book publishers rather than hurt them. Even though I read more e-books now (through the Kindle app on my tablet) I'd be more inclined to buy more physical books just to have in my collection if they included a digital copy.

[quote name='ssjmichael']While this tablet is running on Android, I don't consider it an Android tablet.[/QUOTE]

Technically it isn't an Android tablet. The Amazon OS on the Kindle Fire is a version of Gingerbread, the smartphone build of Android, not Honeycomb, the tablet build of Android.

If I were in the market for a Kindle Fire, I'd be slightly cautious until Amazon confirmed their OS will be updated to the new Ice Cream Sandwich smartphone/tablet combo build of Android.

Well I ordered the $79 Kindle. I figure if I dont like it I can easily gift or sell it. No point in waiting for the Touch when the Fire comes out at the same time and I'll be getting that as well if nothing better comes along.

Ordered a Fire with my Amazon credit card points.

I don't think I would have spent real money for it, but its a really nice reward for using my credit card. Much better than the panini press and toaster I got with my American Express card years ago.

[quote name='TheDeadEye']I went with the $99 Kindle Touch. Anyone know if it's running Android underneath like the nook Touch?[/QUOTE]
No. Only the Fire is running Android.

[quote name='drock']No. Only the Fire is running Android.[/QUOTE]

Has it been confirmed? As mentioned the Nook Touch reader was running on Android, though you wouldn't know it at first glance since it's an E-ink display.

[quote name='Thrinn']According to the page it says you get 30 days of Prime for free. A free year would be insane. :)[/QUOTE]

If you are a student, I believe they have a deal where you DO get Prime for free.

Anyone have experience with sending a Kindle overseas? I want to get one for my mother for Christmas, and since she lives in New Zealand, it seems like I'll have to buy the old keyboard version and it'll cost $189 since she'll need the 3G version.

[quote name='ssjmichael']Has it been confirmed? As mentioned the Nook Touch reader was running on Android, though you wouldn't know it at first glance since it's an E-ink display.[/QUOTE]
Really? I didn't realize that. In that case, I doubt we'll know until it ships since Amazon isn't playing up the Android-side of these Kindles.

The Fire looks nice, but amazon trying to monopolize it with only their services is very Apple like. I'll save the money for a real Android tablet with access to the Android Market, Hulu+, Netflix, Google Music, etc.

[quote name='Todd33']The Fire looks nice, but amazon trying to monopolize it with only their services is very Apple like. I'll save the money for a real Android tablet with access to the Android Market, Hulu+, Netflix, Google Music, etc.[/QUOTE]

You most likely can root the fire so I don't see any problem running those apps later on.

[quote name='Curufinwe']Anyone have experience with sending a Kindle overseas? I want to get one for my mother for Christmas, and since she lives in New Zealand, it seems like I'll have to buy the old keyboard version and it'll cost $189 since she'll need the 3G version.[/QUOTE]As long as you buy the old version and it says "works internationally", I don't think you should have an issue with it, since that 3G version is GSM/HSPA-type wireless and works internationally. Any of the Kindles with 3G that don't say they're international versions use Sprint's network, which won't work overseas.

EDIT: As I check on the product page, it looks like any of the "old" 3G Kindles with keyboard are already the "international" versions, since they're showing EDGE/GPRS use in New Zealand. There's a link on the product page that allows you to check on the coverage map.

Just got My 79 kindle, it's pretty slick. My wife has a 2nd gen kindle and the new one is way smaller and lighter. The ads on the home screen are very non obtrusive.

[quote name='Curufinwe']Anyone have experience with sending a Kindle overseas? I want to get one for my mother for Christmas, and since she lives in New Zealand, it seems like I'll have to buy the old keyboard version and it'll cost $189 since she'll need the 3G version.[/QUOTE] The current keyboard model +3G or the Kindle Touch +3G will both work in New Zealand.

One thing people outside the US complain about is the book availability. Selection is limited compared to Amazon US. Content in the Kindle Store is determined by your Amazon account. So if your mom has an Amazon US account and US credit card it would be best.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='skubish']The current keyboard model +3G or the Kindle Touch +3G will both work in New Zealand.

One thing people outside the US complain about is the book availability. Selection is limited compared to Amazon US. Content in the Kindle Store is determined by you Amazon account. So if your mom has an Amazon US account and US credit card it would be best.[/QUOTE]
Couldn't he just buy Kindle Cards in America and bypass the whole Credit Card?

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Couldn't he just buy Kindle Cards in America and bypass the whole Credit Card?[/QUOTE]

Yep he can do that.

I have the Kindle 3 wifi w/ Special Offers, the offers are great. A lot of people are really paranoid and upset at the ads, but they are completely unobtrusive and offer really great deals. I've gotten at least 6 $1 books (and it's not bullshit books either, most retail for $8-12). I've also gotten the $10 for a $20 amazon GC, $10 off any video game purchase, $10 off a $25 software download, amongst many more. New offers come every 4 days. They usually have between one and three offers at any given time. Lately it's been just one at a time.

[quote name='mrsilkunderwear']Rich bastard.[/QUOTE]

It's kind of funny though that a fire and a touch with special features are still $200 less than the entry level iPad 2 ;)

Anyone have info on if the fire will work overseas? I'm currently locked out of the Amazon Market here in Japan, so I wouldn't be surprised to be locked out on the fire. I know I can probably eventually just root it, but the cloud services sound handy.

[quote name='technicalstylez']cheapy said he preordered the fire a few pgs back. he lives in japan, so u should be ok.[/QUOTE]

Cheapy doesn't have the same rules as us mere mortals. He can switch the region settings of his home anytime he wants. Right now he's living it up Bangladesh style!

I'm very curious to see how the Silk browser works. If they can really preload a lot of the pictures from the cloud this could change the way all these devices approach the internet in the future

While the Fire is tempting, the $79 basic with offers sounds like a real steal. As long as the good deals keep coming, it sounds like it would be a better investment overall for now. And I don't see a brand-new Kindle going for any less than that, barring some Black Friday $50 freakout deal...

hey guys. im thinking of using hotspot so i can connect to the net anywhere.

im not sure how it works though.

i have a blackberry and it has a hotspot feature. does that mean i can use it to help my "future" fire to connect to the internet via the 3g?

i was told to get a mi-fi.. yea what is that?

A mifi is a stand alone device that creates a wireless hotspot for up to 5 devices. It has a monthly data plan attached to it. Your blackberry's hotspot will do the exact same thing

[quote name='jacknicklson']A mifi is a stand alone device that creates a wireless hotspot for up to 5 devices. It has a monthly data plan attached to it. Your blackberry's hotspot will do the exact same thing[/QUOTE]

oh ok thank you! so im set then right? just activate hotspot on my bb and sync my kindle to it?

something like that***?

bread's done
Back