Kindle Fire 7" Tablet Now Shipping $199 - New Kindles From $79 - Reviews are out

[quote name='jacknicklson']As long as you are paying for the tethering feature you should be fine. It doesnt sound like you are though[/QUOTE]

nvm.. i read hotspot on the app but it doesnt turn my BB into a hotspot..

but im reading that the new OS 6.1 will allow this feature.. not sure about the details though

[quote name='biocat']Anyone have info on if the fire will work overseas? I'm currently locked out of the Amazon Market here in Japan, so I wouldn't be surprised to be locked out on the fire. I know I can probably eventually just root it, but the cloud services sound handy.[/QUOTE]

If you have a US Amazon account it should work. I wonder if you can stream video though. Cheapy would probably be able to tell us if he can stream Amazon videos now.

[quote name='biocat']Anyone have info on if the fire will work overseas? I'm currently locked out of the Amazon Market here in Japan, so I wouldn't be surprised to be locked out on the fire. I know I can probably eventually just root it, but the cloud services sound handy.[/QUOTE]

Amazon blocks their MP3 and video streaming services via IP address, so I doubt it will work. Apple is the only content provider that I know of that doesn't block via IP address.

I've tried Amazon, Hulu, Xbox, Sony, Vudu, and Netflix and they all use IP address blocking.

[quote name='Todd33']The Fire looks nice, but amazon trying to monopolize it with only their services is very Apple like. I'll save the money for a real Android tablet with access to the Android Market, Hulu+, Netflix, Google Music, etc.[/QUOTE]

Price vs. Features my man...price vs. features. You find a full featured tablet (not on nationwide clearance :lol:) for $200, you let us know. :)

For anyone wanting an e-reader and/or a simple tablet just to surf the web while watching tv or tote around the house, the Fire is the right price.

Unspecified processor = FAIL

This is a normal Kindle on juice, which isn't saying much. Way to go Bezos lol.

I can see a few people buying these because of the price, but their satisfaction with it is another story.

[quote name='H3YN0W']Unspecified processor = FAIL

This is a normal Kindle on juice, which isn't saying much. Way to go Bezos lol.

I can see a few people buying these because of the price, but their satisfaction with it is another story.[/QUOTE]

Unspecified? Do you want a schematic of it before you approve of it? There's plenty of identifier information out regarding it. ex; http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2393737,00.asp#fbid=b_pn7FQ6fHa

Google for more...

[quote name='CheapyD']Amazon blocks their MP3 and video streaming services via IP address, so I doubt it will work. Apple is the only content provider that I know of that doesn't block via IP address.

I've tried Amazon, Hulu, Xbox, Sony, Vudu, and Netflix and they all use IP address blocking.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I was just hoping, foolishly, that Amazon might have a change of heart.

Headlines today report that Amazon is in talks (and supposedly close to securing a deal) to buy webOS from HP. I preordered the Kindle Fire, but am now rethinking, since if they purchase webOS, future iterations of the Fire will not be running Android...and wouldn't that make any app purchases obsolete?

I'm not completely up to speed with all of the tablet OS's out there, but I feel like this could make first adopters rethink the snap purchase (like me).

Thoughts?

http://www.forbes.com/sites/ericsavitz/2011/09/30/amazon-reportedly-in-talks-to-buy-webos-from-hp/

[quote name='CheapyD']Amazon blocks their MP3 and video streaming services via IP address, so I doubt it will work. Apple is the only content provider that I know of that doesn't block via IP address.

I've tried Amazon, Hulu, Xbox, Sony, Vudu, and Netflix and they all use IP address blocking.[/QUOTE]
If you desperately needed any of those, you could always set up a PC on Wombat or Shipwreck's home network (assuming they're ok with it, it wouldn't push them through a data cap, etc.) and use it as a VPN -- like a relay point between you and Amazon. But that's probably less than feasible, realistically.

Anyways, I'm torn between the two smaller Kindles, the non-touch and the touch. I'd be so sold on the touch if it also had those physical page-turning buttons. And if it weren't for the extra battery life and extra storage, I'd jsut get the standard one. Amazon, why do you have to go so SKU crazy?

[quote name='JustYourAverageJoe']Anyways, I'm torn between the two smaller Kindles, the non-touch and the touch. I'd be so sold on the touch if it also had those physical page-turning buttons. And if it weren't for the extra battery life and extra storage, I'd jsut get the standard one. Amazon, why do you have to go so SKU crazy?[/QUOTE]

Not to repeat myself (I know I mentioned it a few pages back) - but you do realize that the battery life is between 1 month and 2 months. People act like the difference in battery is between 5 hours and 10 hours and that they might be out reading all day at the beach and run out of charge. We're talking about plugging it in once, overnight, every month.

The memory size shouldn't be a deciding point either, 1,400 books or 3,000 books? Are you being sent on the first manned mission to Mars and are in fear of never having access to a wi-fi network again?

For me, the real deciding factor is the headphone jack - I want one to listen to tunes while I read. For that fact, it's the touch.

just got a couple of great special offers already on my kindle...$5 of any $10 purchase, and pick a mystery novel for buck from a list of 100.

You know I actually am really excited for my Kindle. I am not a big reader at all, but this cheesy text to speech which I can then jack up to my iPod dock will be great to do while I am gaming (so hopefully it will get me more into reading). Plus it's cheesy text to speech which will be for the lulz.

[quote name='caltab']just got a couple of great special offers already on my kindle...$5 of any $10 purchase, and pick a mystery novel for buck from a list of 100.[/QUOTE]
Is that $5 off a $10 kindle book offer, or is it good for anything sold by Amazon?

[quote name='ShockandAww']Is that $5 off a $10 kindle book offer, or is it good for anything sold by Amazon?[/QUOTE]

anything

[quote name='62t']anything[/QUOTE]
Dammit I want my kindle nowww! That's basically the same as $5 off my kindle for me and I'm sure a lot of other people. I'm sure the good deals like that wont last forever so hopefully I can use up offers like that and basically pay off my kindle in the long run.

[quote name='ShockandAww']Dammit I want my kindle nowww! That's basically the same as $5 off my kindle for me and I'm sure a lot of other people. I'm sure the good deals like that wont last forever so hopefully I can use up offers like that and basically pay off my kindle in the long run.[/QUOTE]

That last until October 3. So if you have Prime you might get it in time.

also one of the upcoming offer is $10 for $20 Amazon.com Gift Card so that another $10 saving

[quote name='62t']That last until October 3. So if you have Prime you might get it in time.

also one of the upcoming offer is $10 for $20 Amazon.com Gift Card so that another $10 saving[/QUOTE]
Thats awesome. And yes I'm getting mine tomorrow. For once I'm glad I have no patience an am an impulsive idiot at times. Thanks!

[quote name='62t']That last until October 3. So if you have Prime you might get it in time.

also one of the upcoming offer is $10 for $20 Amazon.com Gift Card so that another $10 saving[/QUOTE]

how do you know there is going to be 10 of 20? I am not doubting you, just wondering where to find this info

[quote name='caltab']how do you know there is going to be 10 of 20? I am not doubting you, just wondering where to find this info[/QUOTE]

at the kindle description page click on "learn more"

[quote name='blitztwn36']Not to repeat myself (I know I mentioned it a few pages back) - but you do realize that the battery life is between 1 month and 2 months. People act like the difference in battery is between 5 hours and 10 hours and that they might be out reading all day at the beach and run out of charge. We're talking about plugging it in once, overnight, every month.

The memory size shouldn't be a deciding point either, 1,400 books or 3,000 books? Are you being sent on the first manned mission to Mars and are in fear of never having access to a wi-fi network again?

For me, the real deciding factor is the headphone jack - I want one to listen to tunes while I read. For that fact, it's the touch.[/QUOTE]

Thanks blitz, good points... I have a Kindle 2.0 and I can tell you that internal memory size and battery life are pretty much irrelevant. I have been using the darn thing for five days a week for two and half years.

I will get the $79 Kindle, not interested in the Fire (I was lucky enough to get the HP Touchpad for $100). The beauty of another Kindle is that all of your books are instantly available once you setup the account, including footnotes and such...

[quote name='ssjmichael']This just in, more options are BAD[/QUOTE]
That's not what I said. In fact, all I asked was a question -- the rest is an inference from you.

Options aren't bad, but they can be overwhelming the greater number there are. There's the Kindle Basic, Kindle Touch, Kindle Keyboard, Kindle DX, and Kindle Fire. And at least two of these have two versions with and without ads. That's at least 7 different versions. That can be pretty overwhelming for people, and it can actually make choice harder. It's called "choice overload," and it's a pretty well documented occurrence.

[quote name='TwistedOrange']Do you need a Kindle to access the $5 for $10?[/QUOTE]

yes, and it has to be special offer kindle

[quote name='JustYourAverageJoe']That's not what I said. In fact, all I asked was a question -- the rest is an inference from you.

Options aren't bad, but they can be overwhelming the greater number there are. There's the Kindle Basic, Kindle Touch, Kindle Keyboard, Kindle DX, and Kindle Fire. And at least two of these have two versions with and without ads. That's at least 7 different versions. That can be pretty overwhelming for people, and it can actually make choice harder. It's called "choice overload," and it's a pretty well documented occurrence.[/QUOTE]

You must freak out at a Baskin Robbins :bouncy:

If you honestly need help choosing I can assist you :)

[quote name='RedGamer']Is it worth paying $79.99 for a SO Kindle FOR THE SOLE PURPOSE of the special offers?[/QUOTE]

If you ask me in July the answer is a clear yes. However this month the offer has gotten a lot worst

[quote name='JaytheGamefan']I hope Amazon buys WebOS - that should allow my Touchpad to actually have some major new apps in the future.[/QUOTE]

They just spent a lot of money making an archaic version of Android into an OS that seems barely reminiscent of Android. Why would they then pay money to start over and rebuild an OS that doesn't alienate the consumer by going away from what they've already built when they can... just keep building from where they started with Android instead?

Besides, Amazon's Android-based OS isn't really going to do anything for Android since it won't connect to the Google Android Marketplace (re: "app store that won't get sued for being called app store"). Why would Amazon buying WebOS and stripping it down, then making it barely distinguishable from standard WebOS, help anyone with a Touchpad? Not to mention that the Touchpad is built on lower-performing specs than the Kindle Fire with a different form factor so apps won't translate unless Amazon decides to make it happen...

...which they wouldn't. They want you to buy an Amazon Kindle Fire. They don't want you sticking with subpar performance or fixing aspect ratio/resolution. They wouldn't DO that TO you. They'll give you tough love and make you give up that Touchpad EVEN if they did buy WebOS. They're doing it for your own good.

I fell for the TouchPad nonsense but won't complain too much since I made a decent amount selling the 2 I had. This Amazon Fire is temping but... I think I rather wait for a revision or a 2nd Gen version of it.

I just pre-ordered one. It looks awesome.

But is it anywhere near as powerful as other tablets? The low price is very tempting but it's also concerning me.

[quote name='Envel']I just pre-ordered one. It looks awesome.

But is it anywhere near as powerful as other tablets? The low price is very tempting but it's also concerning me.[/QUOTE]

It's probably more powerful than most tablets but it probably won't tap much of that in its out of the box use. It'll have to be rooted to get more out of it since you can't access Android through the device

I pre ordered it last night. Mainly cause I'm not sure if I want it or not currently. I figured I'd reserve a spot in line so if I do want it I have a better chance, and if I don't I can simply cancel.

There are a few things I'm not too sure off. Main one is, can this thing steam from my personal server or just from amazons cloud. I'm not so much worried about rooting it since it only has 8gb of memory and not expansion slots so loading it up with stuff isn't really an option. But the streaming thing from my own personal "cloud" is the thing that makes me buy or not. Prices on other tablets are going to drop and be with $100 of the Fire and offer a lot of the same stuff and more. If it can stream my own stuff, sold, if not :(

Kindles are awesome. Anybody that reads or knows somebody that enjoys reading should get a kindle. It really is an awesome gadget.

[quote name='KaOTiK']I pre ordered it last night. Mainly cause I'm not sure if I want it or not currently. I figured I'd reserve a spot in line so if I do want it I have a better chance, and if I don't I can simply cancel.

There are a few things I'm not too sure off. Main one is, can this thing steam from my personal server or just from amazons cloud. I'm not so much worried about rooting it since it only has 8gb of memory and not expansion slots so loading it up with stuff isn't really an option. But the streaming thing from my own personal "cloud" is the thing that makes me buy or not. Prices on other tablets are going to drop and be with $100 of the Fire and offer a lot of the same stuff and more. If it can stream my own stuff, sold, if not :([/QUOTE]

I can't say for sure because I haven't seen the whole interface but I'd doubt there would be an option to access your own server from it.. But there should be an app in the Amazon's app store that can do that

You can search through the store here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref=sr_hi_1?rh=n:2350149011&ie=UTF8&qid=1317504480

Is it worth a pick up if you're main priority isn't reading? I want a tablet and this thing just looks so slick.

[quote name='KaOTiK']
There are a few things I'm not too sure off. Main one is, can this thing steam from my personal server or just from amazons cloud.([/QUOTE]

There are apps for the ipad and touchpad that let you stream stuff off of your computer, so Id imagine there will be ones for the kindle.

[quote name='caltab']There are apps for the ipad and touchpad that let you stream stuff off of your computer, so Id imagine there will be ones for the kindle.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'm hoping. After doing some more reading and stuff on various things, it might be fine without it, though if a app can do it that would be great. I'm going to test out the cloud by uploading a movie there and then streaming it to my laptop to see how well it works out. The way I'll be using the Fire I'll pretty much always have wifi and for the rare occaisions I wont I can just load videos directly on it. Looks like we will have around 6gb of that 8gb to use, though it will be interested if that micro usb slot is powered or not, could possible use a usb drive as addition storage then if so.

[quote name='62t']Just got my new Kindle. Wish they give it a number like Kindle 4[/QUOTE]

I wish they didn't retroactively change the name of the Kindle 3 to Kindle Keyboard it's so dumb. I'd even prefer Kindle Classic over that

[quote name='Envel']Is it worth a pick up if you're main priority isn't reading? I want a tablet and this thing just looks so slick.[/QUOTE]

Absolutely. The Fire should be great for game apps with its specs, and there are literally tons of great Android apps on the market. Plus you can browse the web and check email. It sounds like a fantastic device (and yes, I have it preordered from day 1 of announcement).

Anyone seen any confirmation of the Fire being able to print to a wireless or networked printer? Are most android based tablets able to?

bread's done
Back