Kindle Fire 7" Tablet Now Shipping $199 - New Kindles From $79 - Reviews are out

Is that thing black? I thought the new ones only came in silver?

Maybe I'm missing something. Either way, I think I might have to grab the $79 kindle, and/or the Fire. Awesome.

Had the fire on preorder for my wife, but, backed out of it. I just don't think she'd be happy with it. She has a kindle keyboard already and is jealous of my iPad.

That said upgrading the device she owns might be good. Is that the ad supported version of the regular Kindle?

[quote name='gunstar808']Is that thing black? I thought the new ones only came in silver?

Maybe I'm missing something. Either way, I think I might have to grab the $79 kindle, and/or the Fire. Awesome.[/QUOTE]
It looks more silvery gray than in that pic. It's definitely not black. That pic is actual size btw. And it is very light.

[quote name='clockworkgreen']Had the fire on preorder for my wife, but, backed out of it. I just don't think she'd be happy with it. She has a kindle keyboard already and is jealous of my iPad.

That said upgrading the device she owns might be good. Is that the ad supported version of the regular Kindle?[/QUOTE]
Its the non-ad version, as they don't ship the special offers one to Japan. They are both the same otherwise. The size and weight difference between this new one and my old one are very significant. Your wife will be pleased. Definitely go for the special offers one though.

And yes, it's dark grey, not black.

Thanks for the comparison pic CheapyD, I have a second gen kindle but I think I'll get both a Touch and a Fire.

[quote name='CheapyD']Its the non-ad version, as they don't ship the special offers one to Japan. They are both the same otherwise. The size and weight difference between this new one and my old one are very significant. Your wife will be pleased. Definitely go for the special offers one though.[/QUOTE]

I would get that for my mum who lives in New Zealand, but unfortunately it only has WiFi and she needs the 3G version. So I'll probably have to pay full price for the Kindle Keyboard.

Opted to put in a pre-order for the Kindle Touch (WiFi with offers). I want the text to speech option and I like the touch interface of the iPad and iPhone apps, especially press and hold on a word to bring up the definition. I am only presuming that that is in there, though. I certainly hope so.

I'm torn between the eink versions and the fire...at any rate I'll wait on apples iphone 5 announcement tomorrow before I order anything. If they introduce something slick enough I may just have to spend my money on early termination fee's with at&t, sell my iphone 4, and pick up the iphone 5 on Verizon. Better camera, bigger screen, and something else magical would be all I need to go through with it.

[quote name='CheapyD']Got the new Kindle (non-touch) today. Its amazingly small and light. Yum.

413904638.jpg
[/QUOTE]

I just bought that 2nd gen Kindle (for $40) and thought it was fairly small for an E-reader, but this pic makes it look huge! The new Kindle sure is tiny

[quote name='Corvin']One is a discontinued/failed device with limited support while the other is the next in a line of already successful products backed by one of the biggest companies out there. No contest indeed.[/QUOTE]

Except HP has promised updates, even if they do not live up to their promise Cyanongenmod will make the TouchPad a far superior device.

Why does the HTC HD2 have a stable resale value on eBay? It comes with WinMo 6.5, it has no more support from Microsoft or HTC... but because of its developer community the resale value of the HD2 was stabilized.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2zWiftfwIk&feature=colike No contest.

Thanks, Cheapy.

Note to others. They just had an article on another site that the Touch 3G (doesn't mention the others) will not give free web access (web browser, etc).

A lot of the articles I've been reading have had comments saying "in for $150 Touch with free 3G web access!" Dunno, maybe that can be rooted/unlocked, but it's not out of the box anymore. Will only give you store access it looks like.

I somehow had avoided an Amazon credit card until now, so, got the ad-supported $79 version for $39 with the $40 signup credit. Can certainly do worse.

I'm starting to think that pre-ordering any of these is a gamble. I might cancel my pre-order of the Kindle Touch and see what the thing actually does before jumping on one. For example if it doesn't support pressing on words to look up their definition, then I don't know why I'd want the touch screen at all. That's pretty much the main thing I'd want it for - because that is soo nice/handy in their iOS app - but it's unclear to me if the Kindle Touch does that. If not I'll just get the touch-less model.

[quote name='crunchewy']I'm starting to think that pre-ordering any of these is a gamble. I might cancel my pre-order of the Kindle Touch and see what the thing actually does before jumping on one. For example if it doesn't support pressing on words to look up their definition, then I don't know why I'd want the touch screen at all. That's pretty much the main thing I'd want it for - because that is soo nice/handy in their iOS app - but it's unclear to me if the Kindle Touch does that. If not I'll just get the touch-less model.[/QUOTE]

You could just check out the product page, it says right on it that it has that function:

Built-In Dictionary with Instant Lookup Come across a word you don't know? Kindle Touch includes The New Oxford American Dictionary with over 250,000 entries and definitions for free. Kindle Touch lets you instantly look up the definition without ever leaving the book – simply touch and hold the word you want to check and the definition will automatically display at the bottom of the screen.

[quote name='ssjmichael']You could just check out the product page, it says right on it that it has that function:

Built-In Dictionary with Instant Lookup Come across a word you don't know? Kindle Touch includes The New Oxford American Dictionary with over 250,000 entries and definitions for free. Kindle Touch lets you instantly look up the definition without ever leaving the book – simply touch and hold the word you want to check and the definition will automatically display at the bottom of the screen.[/QUOTE]

Doh! And thanks! I'm happy. :)

My boy Clark Howard on WSB-TV Channel 2 Action News is predicting / recommending $199 android tablets running honeycomb by this holiday season. Making me wonder if I should get the Kindle Fire or not.

[quote name='Ionotropic']My boy Clark Howard on WSB-TV Channel 2 Action News is predicting / recommending $199 android tablets running honeycomb by this holiday season. Making me wonder if I should get the Kindle Fire or not.[/QUOTE]

That is probably the biggest thing that has my attention. If someone comes out with a similar spec'd tablet and is just full on android, that becomes a no brainer. Still though, I'll keep my preorder for my place in line for the Fire till time gets closer and we should know a lot more.

[quote name='Dozens']Except HP has promised updates, even if they do not live up to their promise Cyanongenmod will make the TouchPad a far superior device.

Why does the HTC HD2 have a stable resale value on eBay? It comes with WinMo 6.5, it has no more support from Microsoft or HTC... but because of its developer community the resale value of the HD2 was stabilized.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2zWiftfwIk&feature=colike No contest.[/QUOTE]
kermit the frog here haahahaha i could not resist

[quote name='thrustbucket']So the fire is just an Amazon consumption device? It's not like you can side-load media on it, can you?[/QUOTE]

No one knows for sure but you can side load the current Kindles so I would be surprised if you can't side-load the Fire.

[quote name='skubish']No one knows for sure but you can side load the current Kindles so I would be surprised if you can't side-load the Fire.[/QUOTE]

Yeah if there doesn't end up a way to watch movies I load on myself, I don't see it's use beyond a couch browser.

They list it as supporting MP4 format, so I presume then that you can load MP4 videos onto it. Unless they just mean videos on the web - I kind of doubt that, though. Here's the supported formats:

Kindle (AZW), TXT, PDF, unprotected MOBI, PRC natively, Audible (Audible Enhanced (AA, AAX)), DOC, DOCX, JPEG, GIF, PNG, BMP, non-DRM AAC, MP3, MIDI, OGG, WAV, MP4, VP8.

Of course with only 8 GB of storage you aren't going to be storing too many long movies on your Kindle Fire, at least not if you also want the storage for other stuff too.

[quote name='jackpayne24']tack on $10 for a power adapter if you dont have one. the e-ink kindles ship without them.[/QUOTE]

You can plug it into a computer or into a USB power adapter of any sort, at least that's my understanding. I have several USB power adapters and a computer, so I'm good.

FYI, the Fire actually showed up in my Quick Picks today. I didn't partake, though. It makes me wonder if I shouldn't cancel my Touch order and see if it shows up in Quick Picks....

[quote name='jackpayne24']tack on $10 for a power adapter if you dont have one. the e-ink kindles ship without them.[/QUOTE]

They'll be cheaper on ebay. I find it funny that it doesn't include one since one of Amazon's earlier mottoes with the Kindle was "No Computer Required" but now if you need to charge it you likely will have to use a computer.

I think Amazon is going backwards with some of the decisions for their e-ink readers. Taking away free web browsing with the Kindle Touch 3G is pretty huge and makes the Kindle 3 (i.e. Keyboard) a more appealing option now

[quote name='crunchewy']In case you're wondering, the Fire is $189.05 as a Quick Pick (5% off). I can't justify it anyway.[/QUOTE]

not appearing for me :/

My 2 eink kindles alwasys came with a power adapter are you saying the new ones dont? I find that hard to believe.

[quote name='z3razerviper']My 2 eink kindles alwasys came with a power adapter are you saying the new ones dont? I find that hard to believe.[/QUOTE]

Believe it:

Included in the Box Kindle wireless e-reader, USB 2.0 cable, and Quick Start Guide.

Yep. Just a way to cut costs wherever possible of course, but it also comes at the cost of forcing people to use a computer, something Amazon touted the Kindle didn't need with earlier iterations.

[quote name='ssjmichael']Yep. Just a way to cut costs wherever possible of course, but it also comes at the cost of forcing people to use a computer, something Amazon touted the Kindle didn't need with earlier iterations.[/QUOTE]

There are other devices with usb ports that do charge as well. My tv and ps3 do for example.

[quote name='ssjmichael']They'll be cheaper on ebay. I find it funny that it doesn't include one since one of Amazon's earlier mottoes with the Kindle was "No Computer Required" but now if you need to charge it you likely will have to use a computer.

I think Amazon is going backwards with some of the decisions for their e-ink readers. Taking away free web browsing with the Kindle Touch 3G is pretty huge and makes the Kindle 3 (i.e. Keyboard) a more appealing option now[/QUOTE]

The kindle 3g web browser is barely usable. It is black and white, slow and hard to control. If the touch has a more usable browser than they can't afford to give out 3g for free

[quote name='ssjmichael']Yep. Just a way to cut costs wherever possible of course, but it also comes at the cost of forcing people to use a computer, something Amazon touted the Kindle didn't need with earlier iterations.[/QUOTE]

It isn't focusing anyone to use a computer. The iPad comes with powerplug but won't workout with a computer. All it is forcing you is to spend a few bucks on the adapter.

Personally I will chose no adapter to save a few bucks as I got tons of usb plug already. I am sure many will feel the same way.

[quote name='62t']It isn't focusing anyone to use a computer. The iPad comes with powerplug but won't workout with a computer. All it is forcing you is to spend a few bucks on the adapter.

Personally I will choice no adapter to save a few bucks as I got tons of usb plug already. I am sure many will feel the same way.[/QUOTE]

Well obviously you could buy an adapter separately, but you're missing my point. Some will find alternative ways to charge it, but the majority of people will now have to do that by PC out the box OR be forced to pay extra for the AC adapter. My point is they're changing what made the Kindle great to begin with. The older Kindles didn't need anything else than what was in the box, now they do.

Also I don't find the Kindle 3's browser to be as bad as you make it out to be. It was a huge improvement over past Kindles due to the webkit browser. It's obviously not comparable to a computer, smartphone or tablet browser but it was fairly quick and rendered pretty good for an e-reader. I'd be surprised if the Kindle touch's browser is so significantly better that they couldn't provide free 3G access anymore.

Another question to ask, is the $50 extra worth it now that it's only good for buying books through Amazon's store and Wikipedia? I can't say that's worth the $50 premium over the WiFi only model. I think it's also quite misleading for Amazon not to spell out the limitations of 3G use with the 3G Kindle touch. I see a lot of people at Amazon's discussion board who are cancelling their orders because of this discovery.

I could easily see people being misled with statements like:
Easiest to Use, Free 3G Wireless
Kindle Touch 3G is our easiest-to-use, most-convenient Kindle because there is no wireless setup--you are ready to shop, download, and read right out of the box. Kindle Touch 3G uses the same wireless signals as cell phones, so you don't need to worry about Wi-Fi connections, passwords or internet charges. Unlike cell phones, with Kindle Touch 3G there are no monthly fees or commitments — Amazon pays for Kindle Touch 3G's wireless connectivity.

Last edited by a moderator:
I ended up canceling my pre-order for a Kindle Touch and instead picked up the base Kindle, mainly just due to impatience!! I like it, but I'm finding I have to get to use to resting my fingers on the page turn buttons (I've never had an e-reader before), because I instinctively want to avoid touching them for fear of accidentally turning the page. I don't know if this would actually do that, and suspect it wouldn't, but I still end up trying to hold it such that I'm not touching them, and then that's a bit awkward feeling. I like it anyway, though. In fact read more yesterday than I have for years. Probably I just have to get over my button fear. :)

Well there are many things that do have USB charging capabilities nowadays (TV's Wii's, PS3's etc), and quite personally I would rather save $10-$15 on the machine then pay for an extra adapter that I already have. Now on the other hand, they should at least include instructions for the damn thing, I mean I know I could figure it out easily but I know a lot of people would be so confused on how to use it, lol.

Yeah, I have several USB chargers already, and could even use my computer in a pinch. Heck, if you're really desperate, most TVs have a USB port (probably only powered when the TV is on, though). I'm not sure any but some elderly folks don't have some sort of computer. It wasn't an issue for me, especially since the Kindle requires such infrequent charging. I'll take the extra $10 or whatever instead.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Well there are many things that do have USB charging capabilities nowadays (TV's Wii's, PS3's etc), and quite personally I would rather save $10-$15 on the machine then pay for an extra adapter that I already have. Now on the other hand, they should at least include instructions for the damn thing, I mean I know I could figure it out easily but I know a lot of people would be so confused on how to use it, lol.[/QUOTE]

I already elaborated on this point earlier. It was more a principle thing based on what they were so proud of before. Past kindles needed nothing besides what was in the box to use completely (assuming your house has electricity, lol), now it does. Whether that's paying extra for an AC adapter, having to use a computer, PS3, TV, you name it, it's not simply a self-reliant product out the box as the past Kindles were.

I'd say the Kindle demographic comprises of a lot of people who aren't tech savvy and would prefer to have a fully functioning device out the box. I know a few "older" people who would hate to have to use a computer to charge it, and they certainly don't have any other device in their homes with USB charging capabilities. It's not a huge deal to us, but I can certainly see it being bothersome to others.

Despite being amazingly small, I really can't say I'm that fond of the new Kindle. It's just too basic. Typing on the device seems like a real chore now and the lack of a headphone jack and speakers is also a deal breaker for me personally. It's just very barebones. The touch model on the other hand is promising.

[quote name='crunchewy']I ended up canceling my pre-order for a Kindle Touch and instead picked up the base Kindle, mainly just due to impatience!! I like it, but I'm finding I have to get to use to resting my fingers on the page turn buttons (I've never had an e-reader before), because I instinctively want to avoid touching them for fear of accidentally turning the page. I don't know if this would actually do that, and suspect it wouldn't, but I still end up trying to hold it such that I'm not touching them, and then that's a bit awkward feeling. I like it anyway, though. In fact read more yesterday than I have for years. Probably I just have to get over my button fear. :)[/QUOTE]

I ended up cancelling mine as well last night, though for different reasons. No way to expand storage and the amazon app store is rather weak. I know I'm working on some assumptions on stuff but overall, I think the Fire is great but ultimately not for me. I have decided to wait and get the Asus Transformer 2 even though it will be $500 it is going to be so far ahead of everything else when it comes out with the new Tegra 3 quad chip and the first Transformer is one of the best tablets out there.

I didn't cancel a Kindle Fire, I canceled a Kindle Touch. I never had a Fire on order. I'm happy with my basic Kindle ($79 one). Price is right, the e-ink display is awesome and the UI is good.

Tried to pre-order the Touch version without the ads at Best Buy (RZ Points!) but the only Touch option was the $99 version. Is the non-ad version exclusive to Amazon only?

The Amazon information page does list that the 3G model does include free 3G. What it eludes to is that the web Browsers only works on Wi-Fi. Amazon has since confirmed that the 3G is for Amazon store connections.

bread's done
Back