Kindle Fire 7" Tablet Now Shipping $199 - New Kindles From $79 - Reviews are out

[quote name='crunchewy']So far the ads on my new Kindle have been garbage.[/QUOTE]

I think they have been fairly decent so far. I've used $10 off any $20 purchase, $15 off a Roku, and just today got a book for a buck(hundreds to chose from). I cannot imagine paying to have them removed, they aren't obtrusive and I wouldn't call them garbage either.

You have certainly seen better coupons than I have. No roku. No $10 off $20 purchase. Just crap like cell phone ads, money off in the denim department, etc. The denim one was the only one I've seen that I was even remotely close to interesting, but I didn't need jeans.

Im pretty sure everyone gets the same offers- they change every few days. I bought my kindle partly b/c of the special offers, so I check them often. The 5 off 10(I was wrong about it being 10 off of 20) came out right when I got it, so you might have missed that one. You should have the 1 dollar book offer right now. The roku coupon was 15 off bluray or other media devices and was a few days ago. There is a thread on slickdeals that lists past deals the kindle has offered. I would at least look at that before paying 30 bucks to get rid of the ads.

if you have prime you can now rent books through amazon's "kindle owners' library" pretty awesome new feature. A lot of local libraries do this, but it can be hard to get good new titles because of the number of copies available.

[quote name='caltab']if you have prime you can now rent books through amazon's "kindle owners' library" pretty awesome new feature. A lot of local libraries do this, but it can be hard to get good new titles because of the number of copies available.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for this, seems neat.

Any ideas when we might see reviews for the Fire? It comes out in just a couple weeks now. I've had one preordered since they went live, and I'm buying it, but then my GF is paying me back to give it to me for Christmas. ;p Pretty good deal! But I wanna be certain that the build quality/battery/screen/tech/etc is all up to snuff first, of course.

[quote name='caltab']if you have prime you can now rent books through amazon's "kindle owners' library" pretty awesome new feature. A lot of local libraries do this, but it can be hard to get good new titles because of the number of copies available.[/QUOTE]

The Hunger Games Trilogy is eligible. I recommend it!

Yep, now glad I forked out for Prime. Well, I liked it for the shipping anyway, but seemed expensive just for that. With free books to borrow, that makes it all the more likable! But... now wish I hadn't bought The Hunger Games books. I could have read them for free. Oh well.

I am really still on the fence about pre ordering one. one thing i want to use a tablet for is my job. It would be an easy way for me to keep record of files since im moving around the office so much, i am never at my cpu. Would you guys recommend this over the other tablets such as the Ipad or galaxy tab?

Got my $79 kindle a few weeks back, and never even noticed if the ads were there or not. I have not registered it or anything, but I think it may have been pre-registered to my wife's amazon account. But yeah, I still cannot tell if there are ads, because I am usually on a page from a book and when it is off, the whole screen is like my wife's 3rd gen kindle, but with better screen savers (not an ad).

[quote name='integralsmatic']I am really still on the fence about pre ordering one. one thing i want to use a tablet for is my job. It would be an easy way for me to keep record of files since im moving around the office so much, i am never at my cpu. Would you guys recommend this over the other tablets such as the Ipad or galaxy tab?[/QUOTE]

IIRC the Fire isn't gonna be able to do stuff like that. I could be wrong though.

At my office lots of people use iPads for things like that, my boss has a Xoom he seems to like as well, but from what I've played with an iPad 2 has impressed me the most. The KF looks great though, especially for the price. And I love my Kindle w/ads too.

[quote name='crunchewy']Yep, now glad I forked out for Prime. Well, I liked it for the shipping anyway, but seemed expensive just for that. With free books to borrow, that makes it all the more likable! But... now wish I hadn't bought The Hunger Games books. I could have read them for free. Oh well.[/QUOTE]

the prime video selection is getting pretty decent too. Between 2 day shipping, the video service and book rentals it is becoming a great value in comparison to netflix

yeah, I'm seriously considering dropping Netflix now, but there's still a lot of content that needs to be added for me to truly do it

I was going to get prime today anyway because they wanted $5 shipping for the new RE game for the 3DS (3-5 day), and I got it for a $40 reup because of the student discount. After seeing the book thing, now there is no reason I shouldn't. So yay for free books.

Prime video isn't much of draw for me since the only thing I can play it on is my computer, which I don't watch streaming video on. If the Xbox ever gets a client for it I'll be interested in it. Or if I ever get some other device that can play it.

[quote name='nakanenui']Got my $79 kindle a few weeks back, and never even noticed if the ads were there or not. I have not registered it or anything, but I think it may have been pre-registered to my wife's amazon account. But yeah, I still cannot tell if there are ads, because I am usually on a page from a book and when it is off, the whole screen is like my wife's 3rd gen kindle, but with better screen savers (not an ad).[/QUOTE]

If yours has ads you would know it - the screen is a full screen ad when it's asleep and there's a banner ad at the bottom of the book list. It sounds like ads have been disabled on yours, presumably by paying for ad removal.

[quote name='crunchewy']Prime video isn't much of draw for me since the only thing I can play it on is my computer, which I don't watch streaming video on. If the Xbox ever gets a client for it I'll be interested in it. Or if I ever get some other device that can play it.[/QUOTE]

Will the Kindle Fire play the videos?

[quote name='mr_bungle']IIRC the Fire isn't gonna be able to do stuff like that. I could be wrong though.

At my office lots of people use iPads for things like that, my boss has a Xoom he seems to like as well, but from what I've played with an iPad 2 has impressed me the most. The KF looks great though, especially for the price. And I love my Kindle w/ads too.[/QUOTE]

hmm i was assuming so. was thinking i could make use of office suite but i need more of the OS. I really want an IPAD 2 but i am not sure if I want to drop that much on a tablet.

Amazon doesn't even tell you what place in line you are either. It would be nice to know if I'm going to get mine or will sell out until Christmas.

Nook Tablet now official: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/p/nook-tablet-barnes-noble/1104687969

141755517.JPG

$50 more than the Fire but it also has double the storage onboard Plus expandable microSD storage, Double the RAM (1GB vs 512mb), Netflix and Hulu plus out the box, better battery life, better display, etc..

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='ssjmichael']Wow, the Fire only has 512mb of RAM, the Nook tablet has 1GB.[/QUOTE]

Ipad 2 has 512mb too, and look how well that has sold. :) Its all about marketing.

I might switch. With Amazon's push for a competing video service, I wonder if the Fire will even support Netflix or Hulu.

i canceled the Kindle Fire. I was really looking for the micro sd slot. Might possibly get the Nook instead...still on the fence.

hm, reconsidering my pre-order for a fire

i might wait to see reviews... even at $200, i don't a tablet unless i'm sure there's a way for me to eventually download and install apps from the regular Android Marketplace

[quote name='Ionotropic']Nook vs Kindle. FIGHT!

http://gizmodo.com/5857041/nook-tablet-vs-kindle-fire-the-differences-add-up[/QUOTE]

That comparison seemed a little too slanted towards the Fire. Every time the Nook has a clear advantage they use some poor excuse for why the Fire is still neck and neck. I'm sorry but cloud storage in no way makes the Fire even with the 8 extra gigs and expandable memory found on the NT. They also brushed over the difference in RAM, and passed on the difference in battery life as a "results may vary in real world usage" blah blah blah. They barely gave the NT props for having Netflix out the box, which is huge and didn't even mention that you'd have to subscribe to Prime for $79/year to really take advantage of Amazon's VOD feature on the device. It was just a poor comparison, but then again, from my years of reading Gizmodo, I don't expect much.

[quote name='ssjmichael']That comparison seemed a little too slanted towards the Fire. Every time the Nook has a clear advantage they use some poor excuse for why the Fire is still neck and neck. I'm sorry but cloud storage in no way makes the Fire even with the 8 extra gigs and expandable memory found on the NT. They also brushed over the difference in RAM, and passed on the difference in battery life as a "results may vary in real world usage" blah blah blah. They barely gave the NT props for having Netflix out the box, which is huge and didn't even mention that you'd have to subscribe to Prime for $79/year to really take advantage of Amazon's VOD feature on the device. It was just a poor comparison, but then again, from my years of reading Gizmodo, I don't expect much.[/QUOTE]

:lol: I don't read Gizmodo all that often but you are right on all accounts. The author might own some Amazon stock, by the way it reads.

[quote name='ItsaMeMario']amazon really needs to release a video player app for the 360/ps3/wii

i'd actually use it[/QUOTE]

This.

Very interesting on the Nook. I have had the Kindle Fire on pre-order for a while now, but I have been slowly considering cancelling it. I was willing to overlook the whole only 8gb of memory, but I refuse to pay $80 a year just to take advantage of the VOD service. I think the Nook may be getting my pre-order instead here shortly.

I wont by the kindle fire if it doesnt let me download a Netflix app. I even HAVE prime, but it would be great to be able to use the kindle to watch netflix in the bed

This is key for my decision: "Briefly seeing the Nook Tablet in action, it's hard to image what the dual-core CPU and gig of RAM are being used on. I wasn't expecting mind-blowing performance, but I've seen lesser spec'd devices with more polish. Barnes and Noble handlers didn't allow me to play around with the device on my own, but watching it in action, the sluggishness of the UI and browsing was noticeable. Menu and app transitions, along with page turns and scrolling looked choppy and somewhat unresponsive. The homescreen UI wasn't as affected as, say, the web browser, but I was hardly wowed by what I saw. Pages seemed to render quickly enough, but that could have been a cached page. Web pages, especially, panned and zoomed with the fluidity of a first generation Android device."

I'll wait and see the hands-on reviews for Amazon's Sill browser on the Fire to make my decision.

[quote name='ItsaMeMario']amazon really needs to release a video player app for the 360/ps3/wii

i'd actually use it[/QUOTE]
I'd like to see amazon streaming integrated in more devices, but as an alternative you can get the new roku for 50 bucks. Roku is pretty cool and also streams hbo go, crackle and many other things.

Also, 16 gb for the nook is certainly better than 8, but for someone planning on putting movies and games on their tablet, it's still pretty small. A digital download of a movie is around a gig and games can approach that size too. Amazons cloud helps, but isn't really ideal IMO.

[quote name='caltab']

Also, 16 gb for the nook is certainly better than 8, but for someone planning on putting movies and games on their tablet, it's still pretty small. A digital download of a movie is around a gig and games can approach that size too. Amazons cloud helps, but isn't really ideal IMO.[/QUOTE]

that's why there's a microSD slot. You can get a 32GB card on amazon for $37:

http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-32GB-...JYCY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1320700844&sr=8-1

[quote name='caltab']I'd like to see amazon streaming integrated in more devices, but as an alternative you can get the new roku for 50 bucks. [/QUOTE]

Wait ... Roku has a $50 box? :shock: ...

:pray: :bow:

I was waiting for this price. Thanks a lot!!!! Ordered on on Amazon (icing on the cake) and will cancel my Kindle Fire. It was for my wife anyway and not sure she will like this Amazon table from what I've seen (she's picky, but what wife isn't ;)

[quote name='nightmare452']Wait ... Roku has a $50 box? :shock: ...

:pray: :bow:

I was waiting for this price. Thanks a lot!!!! Ordered on on Amazon (icing on the cake) and will cancel my Kindle Fire. It was for my wife anyway and not sure she will like this Amazon table from what I've seen (she's picky, but what wife isn't ;)[/QUOTE]

I think it just came out today. Note its 720p, not 1080, that seems to be the main difference between the 50 dollar one and next step up. I think 720 is plenty for streaming though. I got the one above the 50 buck one, 79 I think, and really like it for streaming amazon, crackle and hbo go. I would have gotten this one instead, but it hadn't been announced when I bought mine.

[quote name='caltab']I think it just came out today. Note its 720p, not 1080, that seems to be the main difference between the 50 dollar one and next step up. I think 720 is plenty for streaming though. I got the one above the 50 buck one, 79 I think, and really like it for streaming amazon, crackle and hbo go. I would have gotten this one instead, but it hadn't been announced when I bought mine.[/QUOTE]

You'd have to go two steps (Roku 2 XD - $79.99) up to get 1080P it appears. I really wish they didn't make this model purple, it looks kind of ugly to me. Or at the very least if they felt they needed some color to differentiate it, they should have made the bottom purple and top black.

The new Nook tablet doesn't impress me. I have an earlier Nook Color and quite personally this looks like the same UI, same Nook apps (and I am assuming the Nook Color has way less apps then the Amazon App Store), and still looks like an e-reader. I mean unless you are only using the tablet for Netflix, I think the Kindle Fire looks like a better product software wise.

It might have been hasty, but I canceled my Fire. I just didn't want it to show up and have to deal with a return. However, I haven't pulled the trigger on the Nook yet. I borrowed my sisters Nook Color last night, and it does seem kinda sluggish(browser, UI, page turning) like the Gizmodo article alluded to above. I would imagine the Nook Tablet would be a little zippier with the dual core processors though. I also didn't like how the Nook Color handled forward & back buttons in the browser(you have to scroll to the top of the page to get to them). Maybe I'm spoiled by OSX Lion, but forward/back should be a simple swipe, not buttons.

I'm in no hurry to get one, so I figure I'll play with 'em both in store before I decide.

Hope we get some Fire reviews soon. I have an iPad, but $200 or a Fire is pretty tempting.

But I bet I cancel within a few days. Limited Apps is going to kill it for me.

bread's done
Back