Kindle Fire 7" Tablet Now Shipping $199 - New Kindles From $79 - Reviews are out

Saw one at Target today, but in the glass case and not on display.

I bit irritated, as I ordered within an hour of pre-orders going live, spent the extra $3.99 on One-Day shipping, and yet won't have my Fire until tomorrow. Meanwhile, stores have them and people have received them already from Amazon over the last couple days. Arg.

[quote name='mattcube64']Saw one at Target today, but in the glass case and not on display.

I bit irritated, as I ordered within an hour of pre-orders going live, spent the extra $3.99 on One-Day shipping, and yet won't have my Fire until tomorrow. Meanwhile, stores have them and people have received them already from Amazon over the last couple days. Arg.[/QUOTE]

I paid the $4 for one day shipping and yesterday my order went from a delivery date of Wednesday to today. Maybe it's just your location?

[quote name='ZForce915']I paid the $4 for one day shipping and yesterday my order went from a delivery date of Wednesday to today. Maybe it's just your location?[/QUOTE]

Welp, you convinced me to look, and it seems that my delivery estimate changed from last night, and apparently my Fire is now "out for delivery" and should arrive today. We'll see. But that's much better!

[quote name='mgford11']Whoa - Targets have them day 1?[/QUOTE] Yeah, they didn't have tons of them, but they had a few in the glass case. I'm not sure if I want to pick one up now or wait for one to pop up on the warehouse.

Got mine today from Amazon. After getting the automatic software update, I was able to quickly access books in my library and music in my cloud. Pretty damn sweet. I love the portable size, too. Makes my HP touchpad look like a behemoth.

So what kind of box do the retail ones come in? I was surprised that the box it ships in from Amazon is basically the only box you get (plus a small insert for instructions). So if you buy one as a gift, don't open the shipping box... :)

[quote name='CheapyD']I bought the new Kindle (non-touch). I highly recommend it. It's cheaper, smaller, and lighter, than the Touch. I'm not sure that the touch functionality adds very much to the experience.[/QUOTE]
I dont have the touch but owning the latest $79...non touch version... there's not really any issues with it if you just want to read. It's awesome for reading and nothing else.

The only thing I'd say is that the $79 one has no headphone jack which to me is the biggest downer of it. No audio books or podcasts on it.

Just got my Kindle Fire from Office Max ( only store that had them) first impressions are AWESOME!!!

Literally took less than 5 mins to setup and I was online surfing the web instantly. Also was given a free Prime membership ( last for 30 days ).

The amazon store had a whole bunch of videos and books it's truly great. I put some videos for my daughter and she loves them, later on I will mess with it more, but so far I must say truly truly a great tablet.

Home and volume controls are on the screen so no need for dedicated buttons also response time is very fast. Go out and buy one right now, Excellent purchase!

[quote name='tears2040']Just got my Kindle Fire from Office Max ( only store that had them) first impressions are AWESOME!!!

Literally took less than 5 mins to setup and I was online surfing the web instantly. Also was given a free Prime membership ( last for 30 days ).

The amazon store had a whole bunch of videos and books it's truly great. I put some videos for my daughter and she loves them, later on I will mess with it more, but so far I must say truly truly a great tablet.

Home and volume controls are on the screen so no need for dedicated buttons also response time is very fast. Go out and buy one right now, Excellent purchase![/QUOTE]

Agree with your assessment. Now that I'm home and am starting to mess around with it, it looks, feels and works great. I love how all the apps I grabbed from the free Amazon Android app a day, are now available on the device, since I've gotten rid of my Droid Incredible.

The size is awesome too, as an iPad 1 owner, I love having a tablet that fits in one hand.

Just got an email that Amazon upgraded my student account to 30 days of regular Prime, between that and the $35 in Instant Video credit I have sitting in my Amazon account, this thing will be getting a workout with videos over the Thanksgiving break.

[quote name='tears2040']Just got my Kindle Fire from Office Max ( only store that had them) first impressions are AWESOME!!!

Home and volume controls are on the screen so no need for dedicated buttons also response time is very fast. Go out and buy one right now, Excellent purchase![/QUOTE]

Nice try, Jeff Bezos.

Only kidding, amigo.

Does the basic Kindle have the new Xray function?

Was thinking about going with a Fire, but went with a Refurbed Nook for $149 from Best Buy. The lack of a full Android market and average reviews steered me away. I hope it succeeds though since my wife and I love Amazon.

ugh, my Fire has been Out For Deliver since 7am and it's now past 5pm

i get nervous whenever my Amazon packages haven't been delivered by mid afternoon

I picked the last one up from Best Buy...couldn't help it. Have an iPad 2 but I've been interested in one of these for awhile. Actually have a $79 Kindle too but will probably sell that one off. My first impression is its no iPad 2, but it never claimed to be. It is DEFINITELY worth the $200, I'm very impressed with this thing so far.

[quote name='shiftymcneely']Was thinking about going with a Fire, but went with a Refurbed Nook for $149 from Best Buy. The lack of a full Android market and average reviews steered me away. I hope it succeeds though since my wife and I love Amazon.[/QUOTE]

Reviews have been great...... Don't put to much attention into someones opinion and create your own. Kindle Fire is for real and this thing is simply awesome.

Nook Color is very choppy compared to the Kindle, their new tablet will be better but it's all about the software. Any and everyone that has actually bought one is saying how awesome they are, do yourself a favor people and jump on board.

I found my UPS guy around noon and got it and it's very good for $200 but 7" still feels small for web browsing. Apps, Games, and everything else runs pretty slick though.

So I have mine, and it's great. But as I use it all I can think is, do I need another device that does what my ipod does? It is triple the size but is that enough?

Not the feeling I thought I'd have. But it isn't the fault of the fire.

[quote name='Matt Young']Mine literally just arrived. There's still hope, Mario![/QUOTE]

my tracking just updated from "Out For Delivery" in the city directly north of me, to "Out for Delivery" to the city directly south of me

UPS dun goofed

I already have an iPad 2, iPod touch, and an iPhone 4s, and I just sold my touchpad. Should I get the fire? The main attraction for me is the 7 inch screen, and amazon instant streaming.

I'm curious if anyones tried streaming media from their own devices using, say, Plex Media Server or some such to the Amazon Fire? Does it run good? bad?

I'm jonesing for the Nook Tablet because of its state and expandable memory, but if the Kindle Fire can do media streaming from non-Amazon services (like Plex!) well, then its pretty much right up my alley.

Yes you can. I uploaded some sports matches on my fire. It wont be stored under videos though, it'll be located under gallery.

Btw ive only had 3 aneroid devices including this one. Why is android so clunky? Sometimes it lags and force closes...

Also does anyone know of a way to read newspapers offline without subscribing? Caliber isn't compatible wjith the kindle yet.. and the new York times app isn't in the app store...

Got mine today from Best Buy - I just really dont know why I'm so torn...

Options on the table; the abundant selection of BB's Black Friday Tabs incl the 10.1 ASUS Transformer for $50 more or the Acer Iconia for $10 less.
or
The Fire

I'm a prime member and I guess I should take that into consideration... Also I'm Premier Silver @ BB so I'm pretty sure at least one of the tablets will be in our early bird sale on Monday morning.

Mine comes tomorrow to my g/f's place (I'm on vacation next week and didn't want to risk it going to my work without me there), but unless I make a special trip over there to pick it up, I won't get it until this weekend. I'll probably make the trip.

I haven't ordered one of these for christmas yet. Any ideas on how late I should wait? I have prime shipping.

Anyone get any of the peripherals like skins, cases, stands that they care to comment?

Only mildly related, but woot.com has a refurbished 7" Velocity Micro Cruz Android 2.2 tablet on sale today for $70 + $5 shipping. It's reportedly pretty slow, has fairly low app compatibility, and a few other bits and pieces that aren't quite as good as other tablets (800x600 screen, only 2GB of storage and 256MB RAM, no Android Market access, etc), but it seems to be pretty decent when it comes to battery life and it has an SD slot. So I guess if you're looking for a cheap and "disposable" tablet for basic web browsing and the like, it might be worth consideration.

[quote name='ChernobylCow']Cool stuff![/QUOTE]

They are beautiful cases, great craftsmanship, and most importantly they are comfortable to hold and protect your Kindle well.

[quote name='mgford11']Got mine today from Best Buy - I just really dont know why I'm so torn...

Options on the table; the abundant selection of BB's Black Friday Tabs incl the 10.1 ASUS Transformer for $50 more or the Acer Iconia for $10 less.
or
The Fire

I'm a prime member and I guess I should take that into consideration... Also I'm Premier Silver @ BB so I'm pretty sure at least one of the tablets will be in our early bird sale on Monday morning.[/QUOTE]

I'm in almost the same boat, except in that I don't have Amazon prime. I really like the transformer and the Iconia didn't look that bad when I played with them at BB yesterday. I really liked the Fire in what I played with it.

I'm thinking I might just wait until the monday preview and see what I can find.

After having played with my Fire, I am enjoying it. It's very well made.

However, nothing has been able to top the iPad 2 IMHO. Say what you want about Apple, but their tablet reigns king. But for $300 less, I'd go with a Fire over a Xoom or BB Playbook.

Well, I didn't reject the delivery, and I'm glad I kept it. I'm enjoying it for what it is.
It seems to do a little bit of everything, but some things are obviously less than stellar.
The sound output quality is poor, and it's only an adequate e-reader.

That said, for the price I don't think you can find something of equal quality on the market.

used it in place of my touchpad last night, for general browsing I prefer the larger screen, but for everything else I like the Fire.

Once again a question, anyone have problems with screen rotation? screen refuses to rotate at all on mine. If I want to flip the screen I have to turn it the way I want it, then turn the screen off / on to get it to rotate.

[quote name='Strigol']used it in place of my touchpad last night, for general browsing I prefer the larger screen, but for everything else I like the Fire.

Once again a question, anyone have problems with screen rotation? screen refuses to rotate at all on mine. If I want to flip the screen I have to turn it the way I want it, then turn the screen off / on to get it to rotate.[/QUOTE]

Hmm, I think yours may be slightly defective then. While the screen rotation isn't the snappiest I've experienced, it does work without real issue.

[quote name='Strigol']
Once again a question, anyone have problems with screen rotation? screen refuses to rotate at all on mine. If I want to flip the screen I have to turn it the way I want it, then turn the screen off / on to get it to rotate.[/QUOTE]

Nope, mine is very sensitive on screen rotation. So much so I locked it.

Can anyone that has the Fire already answer this? I bought one for my wife for xmas (arrives Friday). We both have Android phones with the Amazon App Store and I have downloaded several free Apps of the Day from Amazon with my account. My question is can you have multiple users/accounts on one Kindle Fire device?

Also, would I be able to download some of my apps to her Fire and have them be available for her to use under her own account?

[quote name='ShockandAww']I dont have the touch but owning the latest $79...non touch version... there's not really any issues with it if you just want to read. It's awesome for reading and nothing else.

The only thing I'd say is that the $79 one has no headphone jack which to me is the biggest downer of it. No audio books or podcasts on it.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I think that's worth $20 to me.

I tried the ASUS tablet at a best buy and i was blown away, after doing some research it really is about on par with ipad.

While its 250 on black friday, a 2nd generation one will come out in december, and while it wont be cheap, im going to wait and see if its actually FASTER than an ipad 2

[quote name='FlyingMonkey9']I tried the ASUS tablet at a best buy and i was blown away, after doing some research it really is about on par with ipad.

While its 250 on black friday, a 2nd generation one will come out in december, and while it wont be cheap, im going to wait and see if its actually FASTER than an ipad 2[/QUOTE]

It will be a lot "faster" then the Ipad 2. But devs have to utilize the hardware, which will take a little bit, for apps that is.

[quote name='mr_bungle']After having played with my Fire, I am enjoying it. It's very well made.

However, nothing has been able to top the iPad 2 IMHO. Say what you want about Apple, but their tablet reigns king. But for $300 less, I'd go with a Fire over a Xoom or BB Playbook.[/QUOTE]

The new Asus Eee Pad Transformer Prime will blow everything out of the water but I'm not interested in buying a tablet for $500 when It doesn't do any more than my phone and way less than a laptop. The new Nook Tablet is tempting though

bread's done
Back