Kindle Fire 7" Tablet Now Shipping $199 - New Kindles From $79 - Reviews are out

[quote name='FlyingMonkey9']I tried the ASUS tablet at a best buy and i was blown away, after doing some research it really is about on par with ipad.

While its 250 on black friday, a 2nd generation one will come out in december, and while it wont be cheap, im going to wait and see if its actually FASTER than an ipad 2[/QUOTE]

Best Android tablet on the market by far. Also a pretty good netbook to boot if you buy the keyboard attachment.

I ordered one this morning! I'm also interested in the ASUS tablet, but I really don't want to have to camp in front of Best Buy to get one. The fact you can hold the Fire in one hand appeals to me rather than a two hands with a bigger tablet. So, is there a Netflix app already?

dang, good thing i waited on cover reviews... the microshell one from marware at the top of the fire accessories page is getting not so good reviews... people say it's way overpriced and feels like cardboard covered in felt with a glued-on strap

http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-MicroS...=fiona-hardware&ie=UTF8&qid=1321469937&sr=1-3

I think i'm just gonna buy my electronics covers at brick & mortar stores... better to pay a small premium to be 100% sure my cover is decent quality... i really hate having to mail in returned products to Amazon

I got mine yesterday too.

It's a really nicely built tablet. The screen is really clear and bright.

It's a really great tablet for what it does.

I do not own an ipad or any other such tablet.
This is a really great product for me since I am a prime member and all the videos they have available, and the ability to rent. I use this service a lot and it is the main reason I decided to get it. Also all the books I've downloaded were on there when I turned it on.

I have the Sprint Evo (Android phone) and I've been downloading apps from Amazon since they opened the app store, and what do you know, all those apps were on the Fire when I turned it on too.

This is such a great product if you use Amazon services. If you don't I think there are better options out there, but I love Amazon and now the Kindle Fire.

[quote name='ssjmichael']Anyone try Netflix on it yet? If so, how is it?[/QUOTE]

Seems to work perfectly for me. The only downside is no volume buttons on the device, you have to go through the menu.

[quote name='hulk409']Can you go to nbc.com, abc.com, crackle.com or whatever with the browser and watch videos through it?[/QUOTE]

I just tried a video on nbc.com and it worked fine, full screen and all.

[quote name='brandonandtiff']I just tried a video on nbc.com and it worked fine, full screen and all.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for checking.

[quote name='ZForce915']Hulu (not plus) from the web doesn't work.[/QUOTE]

MOTHER EFFING BOO.

This is not a mobile device, it is wifi only. Hulu can suck it.

[quote name='VindictiveGnome']I ordered one this morning! I'm also interested in the ASUS tablet, but I really don't want to have to camp in front of Best Buy to get one. The fact you can hold the Fire in one hand appeals to me rather than a two hands with a bigger tablet. So, is there a Netflix app already?[/QUOTE]

May I ask where the info is on the new Asus tablet?
About to pull the plug on a Samsung Galaxy 10.1

[quote name='donut']May I ask where the info is on the new Asus tablet?
About to pull the plug on a Samsung Galaxy 10.1[/QUOTE] Right here. The ASUS Transformer will be $249.99 on Black Friday at Best Buy.

[quote name='donut']May I ask where the info is on the new Asus tablet?
About to pull the plug on a Samsung Galaxy 10.1[/QUOTE]

The new Asus Transformer Prime was announced like a week ago. It will be the first device to use the new nvidia quad core chip as well. No exact date is given on release besides, this year. Probably in a few weeks I'd imagine. This is the tablet I'm waiting for.

[quote name='KaOTiK']The new Asus Transformer Prime was announced like a week ago. It will be the first device to use the new nvidia quad core chip as well. No exact date is given on release besides, this year. Probably in a few weeks I'd imagine. This is the tablet I'm waiting for.[/QUOTE]

It was supposed to be out already, but they delayed it because Google wanted them to ship it with 4.0 on it.

From SD:
Amazon is running a deal where if you sign up for a year of Audible Gold for around $160 you get a $100 credit towards a Kindle Fire or some other stuff as well. Wish they had the Kindle Touch on that list...
Amazon Link

This is by far one of the stupidest things I've seen a company do in a long time. What was Barnes & Noble thinking? I could understand if they want to allocate some space towards their own content, but leaving just 1GB of internal storage for personal content? Idiotic. Thankfully there's the expansion slot, but that's really no excuse to take such aggressive control over how the consumer uses the tablet.
Nook Tablet limits internal storage for non-B&N purchased content to 1GB

By Brian Heater posted Nov 16th 2011 10:00AM

Well, this is definitely a bummer. Barnes & Noble has spent a fair amount of time talking up all of the Nook Tablet's internal advantages over the Kindle Fire, a list that includes 16GB of storage to the Fire's 8GB. That particular spec may not be quite as good as it looks on paper, however. It seems that Barnes & Noble is currently limiting internal storage on the Android slate to 1GB of content not downloaded directly from B&N. Bummer, right? Especially for those expecting to store their multimedia content on the device. It's not all bad, though. Keep in mind that, unlike the Fire, the Nook's got a not-so-secret weapon -- expandable memory via a microSD card slot located behind the tablet's distinctive loop. We've reached out to B&N for comment, and we're guessing a firmware update will remedy this PR nightmare in 3... 2... 1....

Update: Barnes & Noble confirmed that the above numbers are correct, but added that future multimedia download plans from third-party vendors will utilize the space currently devoted to B&N content only.

I decided to get one. I already own an ipad 2, but the prime video streaming, and the portable factor of the size, had me intrigued. So far, I'm not impressed with the speed of the web browser at all. My iphone 4s and ipad 2 absolutely smoke it. Is it true that the speed gets better?

[quote name='kill3r7']Google asus transformer prime specs. Best tablet in the market bar non. Sorry can't post link on iphone.[/QUOTE]

FYI, you can post links on the iPhone, but CAG hides that behind the BBCode button at the top of the page. Just pasting in doesn't work, but via that button you can add a link. I have no idea why CAG does it that way.

[quote name='ItsaMeMario']dang, good thing i waited on cover reviews... the microshell one from marware at the top of the fire accessories page is getting not so good reviews... people say it's way overpriced and feels like cardboard covered in felt with a glued-on strap

http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-MicroS...=fiona-hardware&ie=UTF8&qid=1321469937&sr=1-3

I think i'm just gonna buy my electronics covers at brick & mortar stores... better to pay a small premium to be 100% sure my cover is decent quality... i really hate having to mail in returned products to Amazon[/QUOTE]

Luckily I canceled the Marware case before my Fire shipped. I look around and ordered the AmazonBasics cover that comes out late next week.

I downloaded my first book and had to turn it off already, due to a stupid force close. I am reminded why I got rid of my Samsung galaxy android phone, for an iPhone 4s... Say what you want about apple, but their devices are far more stable, than android devices are. Do you think Walmart will let me return the fire since its opened? I bought it with my credit card.

[quote name='JG5253']The new Asus Eee Pad Transformer Prime will blow everything out of the water but I'm not interested in buying a tablet for $500 when It doesn't do any more than my phone and way less than a laptop. The new Nook Tablet is tempting though[/QUOTE]

We will see how stable it is compared to ios. Specs are great, but performance is more important

[quote name='crunchewy']FYI, you can post links on the iPhone, but CAG hides that behind the BBCode button at the top of the page. Just pasting in doesn't work, but via that button you can add a link. I have no idea why CAG does it that way.[/QUOTE]

Thx. I didn't know that.

I decided to send mine back today. Truly there is really nothing wrong with the Kindle, it's just that there isn't anything it really does that I don't have another device already doing.

Reading? I could use my wife's Kindle
Watching videos? I wasn't likely to really use this feature, 'cause I have a TV you know.
Web? I have a laptop or my ipod touch
Music? ipod Touch
Apps? again, the touch

So it was neat to try and I don't want to fault the device but I can't justify $200 for something I don't have a strong need for.

[quote name='ZForce915']I decided to send mine back today. Truly there is really nothing wrong with the Kindle, it's just that there isn't anything it really does that I don't have another device already doing.

Watching videos? I wasn't likely to really use this feature, 'cause I have a TV you know.
Music? ipod Touch
Apps? again, the touch

So it was neat to try and I don't want to fault the device but I can't justify $200 for something I don't have a strong need for.[/QUOTE]
Sounds like you knew all of this going into the Fire. Did you really expect it to do anything different? Are you a compulsive shopper?

Amazon has a $10 off $100 for electronics and toys, believe it is today only, so it drops the fire to $190
must use a mastercard for the coupon code to work though

8C65VF3Y

I absolutely love my fire can now easily search the web without waking up the little one at nap time. I was debatinng this or a touch but I hate the small screen for essentially 50$ more. Guess it all depends on purpose. Another happy fire User here.

Got the Kindle Fire last night after work...played with it for hours. Works perfectly and smooth all around performance. +1 for another happy customer :)

[quote name='ZForce915']I decided to send mine back today. Truly there is really nothing wrong with the Kindle, it's just that there isn't anything it really does that I don't have another device already doing.

Music? ipod Touch
Apps? again, the touch

So it was neat to try and I don't want to fault the device but I can't justify $200 for something I don't have a strong need for.[/QUOTE]

Do you also return oranges to the grocery store, telling them you already have apples and bananas at home? Or buy a Ford, then bring it back because you already have a Chevy and a Nissan?

Music? ipod Touch
Apps? again, the touch

None of what you stated is a surprise or something a purchaser of a Fire wouldn't know going into the deal. Maybe you should control your impulse purchases better.

[quote name='krashhole']Sounds like you knew all of this going into the Fire. Did you really expect it to do anything different? Are you a compulsive shopper?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='lawdood']None of what you stated is a surprise or something a purchaser of a Fire wouldn't know going into the deal. Maybe you should control your impulse purchases better.[/QUOTE]

Actually no, I'm usually very frugal. I'm not the kind of gamer that has a backlog because I see that has wasted money (most backlogged games people have will probably go unplayed IMO) and I don't usually go after first gen tech either. I thought having a tablet would be more useful that it was.

Did I know what I was getting into? You betcha. Was it underwhelming for me? You betcha. :D

[quote name='rlse9']Do you also return oranges to the grocery store, telling them you already have apples and bananas at home? Or buy a Ford, then bring it back because you already have a Chevy and a Nissan?[/QUOTE]

This...this is just dumb.

[quote name='Jacoblee23']I downloaded my first book and had to turn it off already, due to a stupid force close. I am reminded why I got rid of my Samsung galaxy android phone, for an iPhone 4s... Say what you want about apple, but their devices are far more stable, than android devices are. Do you think Walmart will let me return the fire since its opened? I bought it with my credit card.[/QUOTE]

What kind of force close did you get? If it isn't android process force closing, its not the OS, its the app. If its an app, all you have to do is submit a bug report and they will try to fix it. I agree that IOS is a bit more stable, but the majority of Android owner problems are user errors.

Also to ssjmichael, are you really surprised? They do that with all their Nook products.

[quote name='igotnodough']here's another case to consider

http://www.amazon.com/Bear-Motion-P...O0YU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1321511321&sr=8-1[/QUOTE]

What's the difference between that and

http://www.amazon.com/Elsse-Premium...NHCY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1321548693&sr=8-2

They're both sold by the same seller, but the latter is a little cheaper and is eligible for Prime. Is it inferior? I can't tell from the pics.

edited to add: according to one review, the slightly more expensive one is leather and the other one is imitation leather (and is also a little lighter). Considering prime also saves me 5 bucks in shipping and gets me the case faster, I guess I'm fine with imitation (and all Fire owners have Prime free for a month anyway). Both are dirt cheap as far as cases go, though.

my screen rotation problem seems to have worked itself out and is functioning properly now. Aside from that I've only found one other thing I hate

When you set it to static IP, it isn't a static setting for each wifi access point, but instead a general setting....When going from home to work I have to completely re-configure the settings to get it to work....annoying

[quote name='vherub']Amazon has a $10 off $100 for electronics and toys, believe it is today only, so it drops the fire to $190
must use a mastercard for the coupon code to work though

8C65VF3Y[/QUOTE] Thanks! I reordered and got it for $192.99 with 1-day shipping. I know it won't come in until Tuesday, but that's sooner than two-day shipping (wednesday)!

Looking to get a tablet for my wife for christmas. She would mostly be using it for netflix streaming and web-browsing. Plus occassional book reading.

This is my first tablet, and everyone here seems pretty knowledgeable. What would you recommend? I can't decide if I should go the cheap route (Kindle Fire), or the expensive route and burn up all my BBY trade-in credit (Ipad2).

[quote name='ZForce915']Actually no, I'm usually very frugal. I'm not the kind of gamer that has a backlog because I see that has wasted money (most backlogged games people have will probably go unplayed IMO) and I don't usually go after first gen tech either. I thought having a tablet would be more useful that it was.

Did I know what I was getting into? You betcha. Was it underwhelming for me? You betcha. :D

This...this is just dumb.[/QUOTE] I'm just giving you a hard time bro. I'm still torn between this and the new nook color. It's going to be for my wife for Christmas. She just likes to play games and look at woman stuff on the internet. How did the touch screen work? Was it sensitive it to the touch? Some of these cheaper tablets I have been looking at, you have to press the screen pretty hard.

Anyone have the Kindle Touch? If so, how is it? I have the newer Kindle, but I'm thinking of getting the Kindle Touch because of the audio.

[quote name='krashhole']I'm just giving you a hard time bro. I'm still torn between this and the new nook color. It's going to be for my wife for Christmas. She just likes to play games and look at woman stuff on the internet. How did the touch screen work? Was it sensitive it to the touch? Some of these cheaper tablets I have been looking at, you have to press the screen pretty hard.[/QUOTE]

I found the touch screen worked well, web browsing was a little hit and miss, sometimes there would be a long wait for the screen to load and I couldn't see any loading icon or anything to tell me if it was running or not. The web app crashed a bunch too, but it is so fast to reload it I almost didn't care about that.

So touch screen is fine, but the Amazon browser could use a little work. I bet an update could fix a lot of that.

[quote name='jeebert']Looking to get a tablet for my wife for christmas. She would mostly be using it for netflix streaming and web-browsing. Plus occassional book reading.

This is my first tablet, and everyone here seems pretty knowledgeable. What would you recommend? I can't decide if I should go the cheap route (Kindle Fire), or the expensive route and burn up all my BBY trade-in credit (Ipad2).[/QUOTE]

If it's for the wife, you shouldn't be cheaping out. And besides that, the bigger screen of the ipad2 is important when watching movies. There's a ton of other benefits of the iPad, but then i'd end up sounding like a fanboy. Just read through the ongoing IOS gaming thread, tons of great content everyday on the cheap/free.

My advice is to wait for at least gen2 of the fire, the reports were obviously true, this was a playbook, with a few cameras ripped out. Supposedly the fully amazon designed version will be out by next year, and i guarantee the price will be the same or lower.

this is a good site from the old gizmodo guy: http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/amazon-kindle-fire/

has lots of good info that i agree with haha.

[quote name='ItsaMeMario']dang, good thing i waited on cover reviews... the microshell one from marware at the top of the fire accessories page is getting not so good reviews... people say it's way overpriced and feels like cardboard covered in felt with a glued-on strap

I think i'm just gonna buy my electronics covers at brick & mortar stores... better to pay a small premium to be 100% sure my cover is decent quality... i really hate having to mail in returned products to Amazon[/QUOTE]

It's not as bad as people make it out to be. It's very light and slim that's probably why people are complaining.. It's not bulky.. If I had to compare it to something it would be the the hp touchpads folio case from hp. I like the cover actually.. Overpriced? Yea it is but I like it because it's low profile and slim.

[quote name='Alcedes']If it's for the wife, you shouldn't be cheaping out. And besides that, the bigger screen of the ipad2 is important when watching movies. [/QUOTE]

I own an iPad and Fire, the way movies are letterboxed on the iPad the size difference is pretty minimal when it comes to viewing them.

[quote name='ZForce915']I found the touch screen worked well, web browsing was a little hit and miss, sometimes there would be a long wait for the screen to load and I couldn't see any loading icon or anything to tell me if it was running or not. The web app crashed a bunch too, but it is so fast to reload it I almost didn't care about that.

So touch screen is fine, but the Amazon browser could use a little work. I bet an update could fix a lot of that.[/QUOTE]

This is where I stand. The browser was a bit meh to me. I'm sure it can be improved (or I hope). Everything else was pretty smooth. Touch screen was better than I expected.

My main gripe is that videos I have in my Amazon cloud don't show up in my Video section. It seems only Amazon video content will go there. If you connect your Fire to your PC/Mac and transfer a video file over, it shows up in the Gallery, not Video.

The no home button or volume button issue people were complaining about doesn't bother me at all.

bread's done
Back