Kindle Fire 7" Tablet Now Shipping $199 - New Kindles From $79 - Reviews are out

[quote name='igotnodough']how do you lock it?[/QUOTE]

tap center of screen
tap cogwheel in top right corner
tap first icon on the left...the arrow going in a circle

Screen is now locked and won't rotate

Thanks for the help. I read the Fire review. Seems like for mostly movies, the Ipad2 is the way to go. But I sure am gonna miss all those sweet sweet BBY gift cards:(

[quote name='bigant262']What kind of force close did you get? If it isn't android process force closing, its not the OS, its the app. If its an app, all you have to do is submit a bug report and they will try to fix it. I agree that IOS is a bit more stable, but the majority of Android owner problems are user errors.

Also to ssjmichael, are you really surprised? They do that with all their Nook products.[/QUOTE]

I got the same force close that I mostly got on the facebook app, when I had my galaxy phone.

[quote name='The Carrot Cake Kid']The Kindle Fire will go down as the worst purchase I made this year, and I bought Duke Nuke Em.[/QUOTE]

Well since you did such a good job of explaining why you are dissatisfied, Im gonna return mine as well. Thanks!

The marware microshell case is pretty sweet, and the price dropped from $39.99 to $29.99. Amazon credited me $10 towards my next purchase automatically, without any inquiry by myself.

It pretty much works like the HP touchpad folio case, and it has a strap that closes the cover shut when not in use. The stand functionality works, although if you're not careful to set it up properly, the edge of the case can slip out of the groove and the kindle fire can fall over.

After playing with it some more, the browser seems to have gotten quite a bit faster. I think its a good tablet. Im enjoying it. I'm just trying to figure out how I can justify using this over my ipad 2 which is still quite a bit faster.

[quote name='The Carrot Cake Kid']The Kindle Fire will go down as the worst purchase I made this year, and I bought Duke Nuke Em.[/QUOTE]Someone's expectations were unrealistic.

[quote name='Jacoblee23']After playing with it some more, the browser seems to have gotten quite a bit faster. I think its a good tablet. Im enjoying it. I'm just trying to figure out how I can justify using this over my ipad 2 which is still quite a bit faster.[/QUOTE]So, if you already have a iPad 2, why the Kindle Fire? And why choose the Fire over the iPad?

I'm an owner of both the iPad2 and the Kindle Fire.

I've spent 1 full day with the Kindle Fire. My thoughts:

Hardware: great form factor, solid feel, and great IPS display.
The lack of physical buttons (except the power button) at first was awkward, but as I used it, was not an issue. I think not including a camera and microphone was a bad choice, but not a deal breaker.

Software: the OS seems nice, but is lacking in configuration options. You cannot currently delete anything from the home screen carousel. (IE: that website you accidentally clicked on now shows up as a huge screenshot on your homescreen!) They will most certainly be fixing this in a software update.
The Cloud integration is great for music, movies, books, apps, etc. And if you are a Prime member, the video streaming and lending library are an awesome bonus.

I've had a few interface issues with tap recognition, and scrolling is a bit clunky (compared to the iPad2), but it's not terrible or anything.

Overall, I'm really enjoying it as an RSS reader, media player (mostly video), email, and web surfing device.

I'm sure the software will evolve to correct the minor issues.

Should you buy it? I think it's a great value for $199.

If you have $499+ and want more features, a better GUI, or have a lot invested in iOS apps-- get an iPad2.

If you have some Amazon Music, e-books, or are a Prime member, get the Kindle Fire (even if you already HAVE an iPad2!).

[quote name='jbz']This is where I stand. The browser was a bit meh to me. I'm sure it can be improved (or I hope). Everything else was pretty smooth. Touch screen was better than I expected.

My main gripe is that videos I have in my Amazon cloud don't show up in my Video section. It seems only Amazon video content will go there. If you connect your Fire to your PC/Mac and transfer a video file over, it shows up in the Gallery, not Video.

The no home button or volume button issue people were complaining about doesn't bother me at all.[/QUOTE]

It took me about half an hour to figure out that the videos show up in the Gallery App. But the more i play around with this it's more exciting. Great product :)

[quote name='Serious McMopy']Someone's expectations were unrealistic.

So, if you already have a iPad 2, why the Kindle Fire? And why choose the Fire over the iPad?[/QUOTE]

I agree. Anyone with an ipad (2) don't have to bother with the Kindle Fire.

ebooks are not a good enough reason to go for the Fire if you already have an iPad; the kindle reader on the iPad is fine. Plus if you have epub books, well, it won't work without a 3rd party app (not sure if there are any approved apps out there yet).

Really, the draw is the price. The Prime videos are a nice feature but are secondary. The form factor is probably better for some people as far as portability goes, but it does make things like most webpages harder to read/navigate. The other benefit is that you can load flash (for instance, Marvel Digital Unlimited works fine in individual page mode), but that doesn't mean that all flash sites will work fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just want to mention one thing to the people that are considering buying the Fire.

This tablet is great, but its geared towards Amazon customers.

Being a Prime member is a must. The free videos, kindle books, app store, and everything else Amazon offers for Prime members works seamlessly with the Fire.

There are better Android tablets out there. They cost more, but there's sure to be some great deals over black Friday and the holidays.

I love Amazon and have been using their services for a long time now. It was really exciting to power on the Fire and see all my books, tv shows, and apps I've downloaded from Amazon show up instantly. That's why I bought one and I have not considered any other tablet.

[quote name='gokuofheaven']I agree. Anyone with an ipad (2) don't have to bother with the Kindle Fire.[/QUOTE]

+1

I'm taking mine back to best buy tomorrow. As nice as this thing is (and for $200 it's great), my iPad 2 does everything better and then some. But I have a kindle with ads and e-ink is still unsurpassed.

[quote name='mr_bungle']+1

I'm taking mine back to best buy tomorrow. As nice as this thing is (and for $200 it's great), my iPad 2 does everything better and then some. But I have a kindle with ads and e-ink is still unsurpassed.[/QUOTE]

I really don't understand why you would purchase a Kindle Fire when you already have an ipad 2.
The ipad is obviously in another class of tablet. What did you expect?

[quote name='ScottBigGame']I really don't understand why you would purchase a Kindle Fire when you already have an ipad 2.
The ipad is obviously in another class of tablet. What did you expect?[/QUOTE]

Man I told myself the same thing. But I'm a sucker for new technology :/

[quote name='ZForce915']Actually no, I'm usually very frugal. I'm not the kind of gamer that has a backlog because I see that has wasted money (most backlogged games people have will probably go unplayed IMO) and I don't usually go after first gen tech either. I thought having a tablet would be more useful that it was.

Did I know what I was getting into? You betcha. Was it underwhelming for me? You betcha. :D[/QUOTE]

I thought those responses to your other post were a bit excessive. You tried it, you didn't feel like keeping it, no problem. There was no need to lecture you. :lol:

[quote name='Peanut932']I thought those responses to your other post were a bit excessive. You tried it, you didn't feel like keeping it, no problem. There was no need to lecture you. :lol:[/QUOTE]

I took mine back last night; never even opened the box. Sub par reviews and a rough UI. Maybe next generation, or after 3.x gets ported.

[quote name='mr_bungle']Man I told myself the same thing. But I'm a sucker for new technology :/[/QUOTE]

Ok, I can appreciate that sentiment. I'm always contemplating picking up new gadgets.

This one was tailor-made for me and I'm really happy with it.

I just helped my dad set up his Fire, and I gotta say I was very impressed by it especially for the price. This is coming from an iPad 2 owner.

I'm thinking about getting this to read comics and manga. That's about it. Seems more convenient than sitting in front of my computer. Maybe I'll get one to try out. Then again, I need some extra cash for Black Friday. Maybe next month...

With all the talk of the iPad 2 in this thread I'd just like to point out that the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 is freaking awesome. It's at the same price point, the screen is .4inches bigger, it has a lot longer lifespan than the iPad 2, (it'll be supported well into and after next year as the top model, well have a new iPad in march or April) and it has flash. My dad is using mine right now to stream the Thursday night football game on online because we don't have the nfl network. It's a great little tablet and shouldn't be overlooked.

[quote name='Serious McMopy']Someone's expectations were unrealistic.

So, if you already have a iPad 2, why the Kindle Fire? And why choose the Fire over the iPad?[/QUOTE]

I got the fire because I am a premium member and a huge fan of Amazon. The 7 inch form interested me as well.

[quote name='Jacoblee23']The 7 inch form interested me as well.[/QUOTE]I can understand that.

I do not have a iPad, but aside from the price issue, the 10 inch form factor of the iPad has always been a big turn off to me from day one. It reminds of the Duke, or DSi XL. I would imagine your average old person would/do love that thing.

Personally, I like the idea of being able to easily hold this thing with one hand.

Oh, and before someone says it, I am well aware there other 7 inch tablets on the market.

I'm enjoying mine. I think there's a lot of potential and with Prime it's probably one of the best deals on the market. Browser is a little weak, but that's what the laptop is for. I'll live without it and I didn't get it for that purpose anyway, I like the idea of a little casual gaming, videos, and books on the go. Mission accomplished.

So far mine has been a brick.

I am having the same issue other people are having on the forums - I do a hard reset and the "Kindle Fire" icon is on the screen and several hard resets do nothing. I might have to return it and I just got it today.

Going to give the thing a full charge and hope it works. Otherwise color me unimpressed, and apparently I'm not the only one having these issues.

[quote name='JCoyne1031']i should be getting mine tomorrow. Any suggestions on which apps i should get?[/QUOTE]

Cut the Rope. It's easily my favorite game on Android. It's just really cute and creative (mildly challenging at times)

[quote name='ssjmichael']Cut the Rope. It's easily my favorite game on Android. It's just really cute and creative (mildly challenging at times)[/QUOTE]

seconded

[quote name='fujishig']ebooks are not a good enough reason to go for the Fire if you already have an iPad; the kindle reader on the iPad is fine. Plus if you have epub books, well, it won't work without a 3rd party app (not sure if there are any approved apps out there yet).[/QUOTE]

If you're on a Mac, you're going to want to use the latest version of Calibre. Just import the ePub (or other format eBook), hit Convert, set the output to MOBI, then either email it to your @kindle.com address or USB it over.

Snagged one yesterday at a local Target and these things are sweet. :applause:

I own a Galaxy Tab and HP Touchpad and the 7" screen is the way to go. It's like using an oversized smartphone in one hand. Bought a book yesterday and I plan on buying Prime cause there are shit loads of books you can borrow for free plus 2 day shipping is an added bonus.

[quote name='igotnodough']anybody having a low signal on wifi?[/QUOTE]

No problems with mine. In fact web browsing is pretty fast.

While I was charging it on the short cable at the far side of the couch there was 1 signal bar, and it was streaming vids from Amazon OK -- with an occasional hiccup stop when the connection was completely lost. No probs elsewhere after.

It even downloaded an update in the background at some point and gave progress notice of installing the update the next time it was powered up.

Browser seems fine so far. I was trying to find settings for cookies, pop-ups, javascript, cache, or something, but couldn't. Wish there was some user control like I have on the iPod Touch for Safari.

I like playing with Fire. It's a little heavier than I'd prefer, but it's a matter of finding out the best way to hold it. Getting content from Amazon is idiot proof, and it works very well. Vid quality is excellent, and it does have a light sensor. Sound can be very YMMV though. It can go from barely hearing a peep to LOUD depending on the source.

Nice gadget overall.

i highly recommend the Read It Later app. if you don't want to pay for news subscription, every morning before commuting, go Online to your favorite news site and choose the "todays" articles you want to read later. the app will download the article and format it for easy read. works on cracked.con articles too!!

One thing I must say is that these Amazon streaming videos are of better quality than what I get with Netflix most of the time (3/4 bars for Netflix). Of course they have mostly the same titles available.

[quote name='Matt Young']One thing I must say is that these Amazon streaming videos are of better quality than what I get with Netflix most of the time (3/4 bars for Netflix). Of course they have mostly the same titles available.[/QUOTE]

I'd like to see a side-by-side Nook Tablet netflix vs Kindle Fire netflix. I'm curious because of the MSN review stating that Nook's netflix streams use an HD source while Fire does not...

[quote name='FlyingMonkey9']Are there ANY movies or tv shows that are on amazon prime but not netflix?[/QUOTE]I have been watching Gilligan's Island (Season 1-3) on Amazon, which is not available on Netflix.

Otherwise, I do not know exactly.

I will say this: Amazon's Roku browser, at least at the moment, is still noticeably lacking in comparison to Netflix's, so it makes it more difficult to find content. Hell, they still list each individual season as a separate file, so there's more BS to scroll through.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Monsta Mack']So far mine has been a brick.

I am having the same issue other people are having on the forums - I do a hard reset and the "Kindle Fire" icon is on the screen and several hard resets do nothing. I might have to return it and I just got it today.

Going to give the thing a full charge and hope it works. Otherwise color me unimpressed, and apparently I'm not the only one having these issues.[/QUOTE]

Guess I'm the only one on CAG with this issue, despite multiple people on the kindle forums having this issue.

Anyways, they are already sending me a replacement (one day refurb? lol.) with two day shipping. Amazon still has the best customer service around, I dread how long it would take to get a replacement with other companies with day one issues.

I got the kindle today. So far, i'm quite pleased. It is easy to use. easy to setup. My only gripe is the keyboard, but i think that's my fault since i've never used a smartphone before or a tablet . I have to get used to it.

I'm not going to do the amazon prime though because I already have netflix.

Well, my Fire just shipped today, with a estimated arrival for 23rd, at one-day shipping. Probably could have had it here sooner, but I wanted to wait until reviews were released, so I did not order it until Tuesday.

In the meantime, my 2nd Roku just arrived today (LT), and I am playing around with it. Minus the SD card slot, and USB port, it seems to be just as good, if not slightly better, than my XR, at less than half of the price. Also, the ability to change channel positions on the spot with the LT is a small, but very welcomed addition. That was one thing that always annoyed me with the XR.

I emailed Amazon CS but can someone tell me what Amazon Prime gets you besides 2 day free shipping? It says unlimited TV Shows and Movies but are they free? And are you allowed to download MP3's for free as part of the 1 year membership?

Also has any figured out how to install the free daily Amazon android app in this forum? :bouncy:

[quote name='Rodster']I emailed Amazon CS but can someone tell me what Amazon Prime gets you besides 2 day free shipping? It says unlimited TV Shows and Movies but are they free? And are you allowed to download MP3's for free as part of the 1 year membership?

Also has any figured out how to install the free daily Amazon android app in this forum? :bouncy:[/QUOTE]

There's a section on Amazon's site that'll show you the Amazon Prime video selection. All Amazon Prime videos are free for Prime members, and their selection is comparable to netflix.

MP3's are generally not free for prime members.

bread's done
Back